John Smedley will take on a new, unspecified role at Daybreak.

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Lord Jareth, Jul 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sodam Yat Dedicated Player

More likely its because its 2015 and ppl care less these days as long as it doesnt effect them personally. Apathy is growing day by day.

Personally I dont care what anyone else says, I think Smedley was 100% right in his actions, being verbal and showing that he wasnt scared of these ridiculous punks like other Game Companies refused to do. Sad little men living in their sad little bubble thinking they're "changing the world" or "awakening ppl" when all they're doing is p*ssing ppl off and proving they have way too much time on their hands. The sooner this "group" is hunted down and given the proper psychological care they desperately need the better.

Say these 7 words out loud and try to make sense of it:
    "A bomb threat over a gaming company"

F**k me.....
    • Like x 9
  2. Buckwheater New Player

Poor guy suffered so much, him and his family.
    Here's hoping those ftards leave him alone now...
    and happy he is trying to be positive about it...
  3. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Feel sorry that his family got targeted, but some of his decisions were, well, not well-thought out (anyone remember the whole 'Smed-bucks' thing? or was that just an EQ2 flop?)
  4. Buckwheater New Player

Yeah, but making a few arguably poor decisions like that doesn't justify bomb threats and identity theft...
    and no, Idk what Smed-bucks are...
    • Like x 1
  5. WorldsDown New Player

Meanwhile... somewhere in Finland...

[IMG]
    • Like x 3
  6. UltraVillain Committed Player

I don't know anything of the guy but if this is a result of his comments on cybercrime it is a sad case of terrorism winning the day. Sadly the internet now provides a mechanism for the tiniest of minorities to disrupt, impose or destroy the work and fun of the vast majority...worse that minority is without real agenda, prone to the most petulant of whims and wholly without responsibility or consideration....I fear we are at the tip of the iceberg.
    • Like x 2
  7. BRITTENY Dedicated Player

Do you know everything that he's gone through? Blaming him as if it's his fault for causing this is like blaming an assault victim for getting assaulted. I guess if you get attacked it's your own fault?

You should be blaming the attackers, not Smedley.
    • Like x 9
  8. Raijin1999 Loyal Player

Web and OS architecture needs to be redone with security in mind to eliminate many of these exploits and prevent credential spoofing. That will never happen so long as Microsoft is around. Meanwhile, cyber crime laws remain weak and will remain so long as it is a tool used by govts of world powers. Im glad Smeds chose to fight it.
  9. Toshknight Loyal Player

10. Torikumu 10000 Post Club

I'm personally happy that he's stepped down and somebody else has taken the reigns. The company needs fresh eyes overseeing it. John Smedley always gave off the impression that he didn't care much about DCUO outside of the revenue it was generating for him to flutter away on other projects. Hopefully the new CEO is more interested in DCUO than he seemed to be and gives more support to our clearly stretched development team.
    • Like x 2
  11. Pults Loyal Player

I don't expect much changes. DCUO has been the lesser known game of Daybreak/SOE. With the way things currently are done here I doubt we'll get more transparency of what's coming and how things will be carried out. Don't forget that this is a buiness and it has it's own trade secret (Don't know the correct english term).
  12. Sir That Guy Loyal Player

So... We have no ruler? We are freee!
  13. MEBegnalsFan Devoted Player

14. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

• Like x 2
  15. ChillCat Loyal Player

100% agree, and I will add that you have to keep a level head in these situations. You put yourself and those around you at risk if you pick a fight you're not prepared to fight. Unfortunately, Smedley picked a fight he was not prepared to fight and Daybreak was caught in the crossfire.

Again, I absolutely refuse to blame the victim. Smedley has every right to be furious with the situation, but we can't allow our fury to coax us into making bad choices. In this case, his fury got the best of him.
    • Like x 4
  16. montazumas revenge Devoted Player

We ?
    U are still a slave to emma
  17. BigAl Devoted Player

Put down the uber-fan foam finger for a minute and look at the bigger picture.
    You are correct. Smed IS the victim. But any business owner/manager knows, the person in charge (especially someone like Smed that was very public) IS the face of the company in the public's eyes. You have every right to defend yourself or stand up for yourself. But, if you are a figure head, you will reflect back on your company and those around you if you let loose in social media.

Again, Smedley is not to blame, but you can only see how this affects more than him if you take a step back and look at the whole scenario.

Unfortunately, the bad guys do win once in a while.
    • Like x 2
  18. Brother Allen Loyal Player

Doesn't happen often but I agree with CB on this one.

This is why:
    • Like x 2
  19. BRITTENY Dedicated Player

Are you also going to blame him for PSN going down? I don't think he should be quite about how he feels. Those hackers shouldn't be allowed to do what they do and I don't think he should have to be silent about it either. Do you know what they did to him? Would you be silent in the situation? I highly doubt it.

It's not about being an uber fan. It's about having to stay silent out of fear of someone doing something b/c you can't express how you feel. It's about right and wrong and sitting here saying he should just sit on his hands while he's being attacked is crazy.

But hey, to each their own. Stating an opinion isn't waving my uber-fan foam finger. But thanks for that ;)
    • Like x 4
  20. Jacob Dragonhunter Steadfast Player

To be fair, Smedley started the whole thing when he said"I'm coming for you' So in a way if he didn't say that to one of lizardsquad's members, we wouldn't have been in that much of a situation.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.