I feel we are being Punished for Playing the Game!

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by MyDpsIsBetter, Jul 8, 2019.

1. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

No the possibilities are actually finite. Let me explain the realistic seriousness of what you're asking for. The purpose of Combat/Marks Relevancy is to prevent new players from leveling too quickly. I think that's what Mepps was trying to convey but worded it funny. As others have pointed out there is a token in the MP that allows you to skip to CR 210, which is NOT intended for new players but there's no realistic way to slap restrictions on that.

So let's say that they do remove Combat/Marks Relevancy, here's what you can possibly expect based on the devs decision making I have observed over the past 4 years:
    1A. The amount of Marks you get from any given content in the game would be reduced overall. That seems like the fairest compromise. Now they could just leave it at that or additionally:

1B. The overall cost of gear throughout the game will go back up. Why? Again, they want to prevent new players from getting to end game too quickly.
    2. The price of buying artifacts from John Constantine will probably go back up from 25 marks to their original price of 100 marks per artifact. The price of Catalyst Caches would also likely go up from 10 to 40 marks. Why? Because they (and this is per their feedback on the subject of anything to do with Artifacts) do not want you leveling your artifacts to max too quickly... Unless you want to spend the money to do so (ie. anything off the MP). This is also probably why we haven't seen Ranks 180 and 200 on test yet.
    3. Box of 25 Quarks in the Quark Vendor, they'll either reprice that or just remove it altogether. I'm still relatively shook they added that in the first place.

There are probably many other negative changes that would be made to "balance" out the removal of Marks Relevancy but I wanted to get to my main point which is removing Marks Relevancy would not solve the issue of you needing marks and needing marks now.
    • Like x 1
  2. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

[IMG]

There is no argument against the fact that older content is missing the proper incentive for not just endgame players but any players outside of that episodes tier to want to que up and run the content. However just adding source marks is the worst possible solution available to us and is only suggested by individuals that either don't see or don't want to see any of the implications behind that choice. All it would do is cause more complaints without actually addressing the real issue. There is just as many solutions that don't involve source marks that are completely valid.
    • Like x 2
  3. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

You three daping each other off doesn't change the issue players are having. You are basically saying this doesn't effect me so I don't care about other players. In no world does locking out 80% of the game content and its sub marks as a reward make any sense to most logical people. In pretty much every successful mmo they leap you past old content to help you catch up while you still have to work on current content "Were not even asking for that here". We are not asking for any thing to be given out we are asking for the ability to be able to have more options via old content that can you know actually be done again to earn marks and paying player to a video game. Not going to go back and fourth with two or three people who clearly have motivates that don't align with improving the game and it's player base.
  4. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

I can't take you seriously your contradicting yourself in every post you make. I have some choice words but there best left not for here on you.
    • Like x 1
  5. plumcrazy Well-Known Player

This guy acts as if it's hard to fix this problem, actually very simple and has been mentioned many times by many different people but nothing is ever done...of course we know the real reason why nothing is ever done but it is what it is. The people in charge want you spending $ to buy replay badges to replay the newer content which I understand as this is a f2p game sort of, but don't act like it's a unsolvable problem when it is not. Look at current missions (example titan island) that have you run 5 missions which unlocks a bonus mission that rewards you with extra marks, now no one in the development team ever thought of say making it where say if you run fos2 everyday of the week you get say 20 source marks or something? Have all the ideas other than cash grabs just run dry?
    • Like x 2
  6. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

I can't fault people for wanting to catch up quickly, been there done that. There's a happy medium somewhere. I'm sure someone already suggested this: Between current and newest episodes while the endgame population is usually light/lax, the devs could have us focus on a past episode. They could add new limited time rewards, rare drops, temporarily remove combat relevancy just for that episode, have endgame event versions of that content etc. Anything to entice people to log in and play since nostalgia plus 1-3 marks is apparently not sufficient enough of a reward.
    • Like x 1
  7. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

Exactly, everyone that is being honestly knows what's up and it isn't right.
  8. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

Lorax it's not even about catching up quick with cr it's about the fact these marks are used for way to much important stuff for the limit amount you can obtain. If that means we add another kind of currency that's easier to obtain in large amount doing all content then be and one that focuses on your cr then that works but atm this pretty much seems like a clear money grab with a weak excuse. It is clearly not sitting well as is with players.
  9. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

Your issue is not the issue everyone else is having, you just came back to the game and want to run every single piece of content to get free marks so that you can jump ahead to the highest CR and get all your missing feats in just a couple of weeks as because that is your ideology, you want things on your own timeline and whomever else doesn't agree is just a clown (which you've stated twice already in this thread)

You refuse to accept any scenario that doesn't end with you being able to earn copious amounts of source marks so that you can catch up because if you could have you would never have made this thread because you would have been content in your situation. No one is denying the absence of incentives and rewards in previous content but we're actually pointing out the consequences of your only desired solution.

You keep wanting to bring up the plethora of important things source marks are for which is why we need so many. Generator upkeep is every 60 days which requires source marks, catalyst caches are your own personal choice if you want numerous artifacts to level as quickly as you want them. Not every player in DCUO is expecting to dump $100's of dollars in a few days to get 160 artifacts the first time they pick up the game, of course you are going to be seeing a divide between the caches and how fast you can earn them because the system was never designed for that type of scenario. But outside of caches and upkeep there is no purpose for source marks unless you are going for older feats/styles which once again if you are expecting just to get 50SP in a couple weeks that is unrealistic for the system.
    • Like x 2
  10. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

You're going to have to forgive me because I don't fully understand what the money grab is in this situation. Let me explain my point of view. I have 3 active characters at endgame, I log in and play all 3 everyday. I play only the current episode unless I have extra time, I will watch LFG/Shout and help anyone with past content. I am personally limited on WHERE I can spend my Source Marks.

Before GU94 I would constantly hit the 200 MoV cap and miss out on marks. The only Mainframe Boosts I renew are the Orbital, Supply Drop and Tactical Mods (everything else is trash). That's 21 marks per toon every 60 days. I would spend the rest on Catalyst Caches because that was literally the only thing I could actually use. I haven't been in desperate need of marks since episode 26, before the reintroduction of episode specific currency but things were much different back then.

I think adding another currency is a step backwards but I agree you should be equally compensated for running past content. What if instead of receiving the extra marks you were instead rewarded with a choice of loot you would have spent those marks on anyway: a Catalyst Cache, an uncollected style, etc.
    • Like x 3
  11. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

We are not speaking on my immense skill or impeccable knowledge on this game, I am for the player on this game and always have been over my own motivates yours is the one being questioned Chill as to why your opposing something being done here that's fair. Thats looking really suspect at the moment to many people here. Trying to sway the topic by referring to my video when I state my skill is meaningless as most vets that still play can speak for me kind like in many and I mean many of your videos you state you considered yourself a top 5 dps at one point, that's not here or there though.
    I don't refuse any scenario that improves the QoL and betterment of Dcuo and never have but you seem pretty hell bent on forgetting the people that come after us that do need a way to catch up that's timely and realistic, in one sentence you state and I quote " No one is denying the absence of incentives and rewards in previous content but we're actually pointing out the consequences of your only desired solution." in that very statement your contradicting yourself then justified it by making false claims that many people here are supporting you, you been getting opposed and questioned the majority on this topic that makes it appear your reading what you want to read. You admitted thiers no incentive to do this content and bluntly saying you don't care you just don't want to see players have access to more ways to get marks, that is how you sound to the majority of people in this thread.
  12. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

Lorax understand what you are saying you are saying in your own statement you are limited on where you can spend your source mark yet ok with that. Think about that and understand how even worse that is for players that need those marks for feats, and catalyst.
  13. SkullGang Devoted Player

Catalysts, Op collections, styles etc. I'm not sure why people are against this. Why is giving us more Source marks for old content an issue ?
    • Like x 1
  14. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

I'm wondering the same it makes no sense what their motives are.
  15. Rainnifer Committed Player

You do still earn them in the same areas yes, but now only if you are in the relevancy window for that content. You were still able to earn the dlc currency as well no matter the relevancy but now that that is gone there is no reason to run that content if you were looking to earn currency to buy the gear. GU:94 didn't have to lower the costs, what they could've done was remove the dlc currency but keep all the costs the same while also making it possible to earn source marks from that content no matter the relevancy (basically removing Mark Relevancy.) The gear would still be "expensive" so that you still have to grind, I wouldn't even mind if they made everything even more "expensive." Earning guaranteed currency when you run a mission is most times enough to make someone run that mission. As it stands open world missions like the Starro ones only give you a few cash and nothing else if you are out of relevancy, that just doesn't seem right.

In all honesty, GU:94 didn't have to happen at all, they could've done something else. I've seen it mentioned before, but why not each Tier or DLC just keep unique currencies? Source Marks can stay as early game currency. Once you become "out of relevancy" of a Tier, you should still be able to earn its currency but it wouldn't help you gear up at all because you are already over-geared for that gear to help you. So instead of killing old content and making it worthless to run, you still have to run it if you want to finish those style sets or buy whatever else is in that tier, they can keep the price of the gear as cheap as they are now for dlcs that aren't newer.
    Artifact catalysts can drop from their respective tiers (level 20 from tier 1) OR you can buy level 20 with tier 1 currency, 40 with tier 2 currency, Etc.
    I'm not saying make it exactly that way because I know the artifact levels don't exactly match up with each tier, but they can make it fit somewhere along that line.

About making old content still give Source Marks though; I won't lie, the amount of marks we get at end-game is fine and we really don't need more. We even sometimes have a choice to choose a source mark from the loot table in old content. Everyone just tends to jump on the whole relevancy thing for why old content is becoming useless to run. It makes sense though, and some old content got lucky with having rare drops to keep players around. More marks aren't needed but more reasons to play old content is. Basically I think it's time for a change to the whole "mark" system again.
    • Like x 2
  16. plumcrazy Well-Known Player

The issue may be with the some of the older players not keen on letting new or returning players catch up easily some take it personally lol. Like say there is one of those op collections in typhoons monsters invasion that cost like 375 source marks or something right now that's a ton of source marks, now was this collection obtainable back before source marks were limited the way they are now (cr relevant and all) or could you earn them in everything?
  17. ObsidianChill Community "Trusted"

My motives are directed to improving the overall game for players not just what inconveniences me, like you are here. There's a mountain of issues left over from stats revamp like weapon damage inconsistencies, 1/2 the might single target powers missing actual single target abilities, breakout profiles, gadgets dovetails clipping stealth, mental PI encasement bugs, light supercharge generation, earth fortify, ice ceiling bugs, projectile issues with sorc, PI isssues with atomic.

You are upset that you can't earn enough marks and are focusing on this sole issue and rallying support behind your own selfish motives to wanting this change despite the numerous drawbacks to your own personal solution. You say I contradict myself because I say there is an issue but I don't agree with yours? ok. Your absolute refusal to accept any outcome besides your own is the larger issue at hand here.

There can be rewards without compromising the impacts of GU:94, despite your reservations about accepting that fact.
  18. TheLorax 15000 Post Club

Because it wouldn't just be giving extra marks to YOU, it's opening extra marks for everyone. Why would you want new players power leveling to tier 8/9? It would get to a point where there is less players in lower tier content than there is now. Good luck getting any queue to pop after that, you won't get your extra marks because no one is queuing up for it. A lot of you don't care about the game, you don't care how your decisions affect others, you don't consider consequences. You're not even willing to discuss alternatives. It's just "I need this and I need it right now" and you don't need it now. We've been on a system for the past 3 years that lets us earn 2 sets of currency at the same time, one to spend on past content and one spend on whatever was current at that time. I'm starting to sense some of you just waste marks. How many catalysts have some of you blown through just because you refuse to buy a $1 pack of seals? Maybe the marks aren't the real issue and you need the devs to fix a problem YOU created?
  19. MyDpsIsBetter Dedicated Player

Im always pretty chilled you implying I'm upset doesn't convince others only yourself your in the right and you seem to serve your own self interest I've seen some of your past views they were indeed self serving. What you deem important to you should not discredit what is important to other players. You have repeatedly tried to force your opinions as facts on others while they are clearly telling you they feel this is important going into the future well being of the game. Blissfully ignoring something cause it doesn't concern your objectives speaks volumes on a lot. I don't have to discredit other fixes needed in the game such as balancing to make myself seem knowable and in the best interest of the game, you coming off as some bitter cause your being out dps by someone using a flurry. That's like me saying we have more important issues then the flurry damage... you see how that sounds right? Prolly don't but you know..
  20. willflynne 10000 Post Club

1. Yup. I'd liken it to a pro baseball team expecting a bonus of some kind for playing and beating a tee-ball team (I like to get extreme in my comparisons at times LOL). Also, if a player is well beyond a piece of content and isn't there for the sake of progression, why should they get any rewards related to progression?

2. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd think it's either players weren't participating in the old content to get the Catalysts as much as the devs hoped or they just wanted more players to be able to participate in the Artifact system. My initial interest in Artifacts ended up pretty low at the start because I knew I'd be playing the broker and not the game to get any Catalysts I needed. Once Catalysts were made available via the vendor, my interest increased and instead of disregarding whatever new Artifacts might be introduced I take a solid look to see if it might be something I want to incorporate into a character's loadout.

3. Well, considering some want the status quo to change, it could be argued that the onus is on those players to provide the compelling arguments for the change to be made. But that's just a discussion that would go in circles really fast. :D

If I were to add anything to what I've already stated, it'd be this: there hasn't been a need for it demonstrated. If endgame players are still getting Marks along with the episode currency and those Marks are covering the costs they incur (Mainframes, Catalysts, what have you), then the need for getting more Marks in older content ends up being questionable. And in my own experience, a demonstrable need is a far better argument than "I want."

4. An incentive system could very well be a burden. Once a player gets the item they're searching for in a piece of content, the chances of them returning to that content can drop like a stone. So to keep players coming back again and again and again and again and again, the devs would have to keep going back to that older content again and again and again and again and again. That falls pretty well into the "burden" category in my book, and one that could affect delivery of new content in a worst case scenario.

And now the word "again" has lost all meaning after typing it so many times. :confused:

And yes, I know that it's not just about the idea of full Marks. But unfortunately that's the ONLY thing some people concentrate on as the answer.