Hard Light is now Soft Light after GU36

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by jr1nc, Mar 25, 2014.

1. fRuiTy New Player

ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC!!! That is the first this that came to mind after watching the damage numbers in that video. Taking about 4-5 moves to do 1k damage is the sorriest excuse for a dps power I have ever seen. This is by far the worst, most pathetic excuse for a game change that I have ever seen. FAIL FAIL FAIL!!! I am ashamed for being legendary for 2+ years and this is what they decided to with the money I spent. And now we don't even get new content for probably another half a year. Way to mess up the game SOE. Seriously, thinking about cancelling my membership if this sorry excuse for an update actually does go through. Heck, NO REASON TO BE HARDLIGHT ANYMORE... ahem, softlight.
    • Like x 3
  2. jr1nc Dedicated Player

look i feel the same, but ive been working on the test server the past couple of days and putting input! maybe they can salvage it! So just give it time before its finalized!
    • Like x 1
  3. JEEBIE Steadfast Player

Until another game attempts to take on the Fighter MMO DCUO will have a niche. Problem is mainly that lots of us got something absolutely amazing, now that's being taken away for something a bit lighter and slower. Post update I'm sure it's still on the bleeding edge of speed and action, but to those that mastered the pre update, it's going half speed.

Either way, it's a solid game still, just one that's pushing away a lot of good players currently due to major changes. Personally I'll be peaking in when the next hard raid hits test, by then I'll be so rusty the new speed might feel fast lol. Until then off to guild wars for me as DCUO currently simply disgusts me as a player, not because it doesn't offer something, but because it's making drastic changes to things I liked.

Hopped on today to check out what was going on and if this DLC was giving the hard raids, that's the next one right? so like 3-4 months till then?

Anyways, GL to all those still playing, keep it up, help the devs make the game good.
    • Like x 2
  4. Drakonicus New Player

Its a fun game. Not exactly innovative, but solid and fun. As diferent from DCUO as Orange Juice is from Coke. Not better, or worse, just a different game.
  5. Drakonicus New Player

What a mature and constructive feedback.
    • Like x 3
  6. Zhouz Well-Known Player

Sadly, the powers and combos they mentioned are broken are mostly combos nobody uses. Very few raid combos are "broken" just now slow to the point of uselessness.
    • Like x 1
  7. GregDawe New Player

How has a Dev not posted here to confirm that the test server HL is/is not bugged?
    That there is a major worry.
    I honestly didn't think HL was that far out, however I rarely DPS HL, I troll.

Can anyone comment on how the troll side is affected by these changes?
  8. ErnieB Loyal Player

they did, but it was 2 days ago and still nothing has been fixed.
  9. GregDawe New Player

What was said?
    And do you know about the troll side?
  10. ErnieB Loyal Player

next is the quote from the dev.
    can't say for troll though, as the thread is from a HL dps
    • Like x 1
  11. GregDawe New Player

Well if a player and/or Dev can please let us know how good/bad the troll side of HL is in the test, it would be much appreciated.
    If bad, is it a bug kinda bad?
    if not a bug, is it easy enough to pick up?

EDIT: also, cheers Ernie
  12. Remander Steadfast Player

Hmm, well that's nor good. So, was JR running all unbugged combos in that run we did? I know it won't speed up game play, but how much do you think they would have to buff base damage to compensate?
  13. farm3rb0b Committed Player

It's really difficult to tell right now how the troll side is. If you're a bit more of a battery troll (you use PoT, recharge, supercharge, weapon attacks, never really delve into attacks/combos of the power set) you will have no noticeable difference at all. Recharge seems to have the same cast time, I'm having no problems clipping the PoT lunges, debuffs work and I don't notice a cast time difference from tray...you can still battery it up.

If you're a Light troll that is Light to utilize the combo system? I can't tell you how it is. It's very difficult to test the power set right now due to the broken combos. You can not go from Hold Claw into combo Ram. If you go (">" denotes combo into as opposed to casting from the power tray) Claw>Ram>Snap Trap, there's an obvious delay between Ram and Snap Trap due to the new animation timings. Visually? It looks bad. If you use GH as your pull, you are used to holding melee after casting it. Since they've stated GH combos are broken? That lunges you into the enemy.

It annoys me right now...but I'm a big fan of using constructs and quick combos to build power. If you just want to battery troll? You're fine.
    • Like x 2
  14. farm3rb0b Committed Player

The main ones that are broken are the ones we call "eco" combos as they more precision-based, more combos as opposed to clipping with tray powers. For instance, you cannot combo Claw>Hold Claw>Ram, but you can do Claw>Hold Claw clipped with power Ram. The first is broken, the second works. The issue JR was having with some of his damage is that the clipping windows, despite being told they wouldn't be affected, have changed drastically for HL (cannot say for other powers, sorry). For Claw>Hold Claw / Power Ram, you can clip that Hold Claw incredibly early and still get both the prec damage from Hold Claw and the Might damage from Power Ram. On test right now, you have to be into the body flip for the prec damage on Hold Claw to register. That's probably the easiest combo to explain it on that the most people will understand. There are obviously other combos HL DPS use that they clip the final prec attack with a might power immediately that have the same issue on test right now. If it's intended? Okay, we need to adjust our timing. But for every combo we have to adjust our timing, our ability to put out damage decreases.

One of the things we talked about after those runs was how to compensate. There were a handful of Light users in that group and a bunch of us said, look, our reasons for choosing this power set are the speed and combo-ing system. Right now? Both of those are practically gone. We'd love to see the speed of the combos returned to what they were. For example, if I'm going to combo Ram into Snap Trap and not cast ST from the tray...why is there such a delay? It's so slow it's comedic. It seems to completely take away from the way the power set was originally designed. It's uniqueness was those infinite combos and now...they're painful to watch. Doesn't look like a smooth Lantern at all now.

Another thing that would have to happen would be damage tweaks. Light was stronger when it came out than it is now on Live. Things ticked higher, initial hits were stronger. But people found you could clip/JC a lot of things and so doing that amount of damage at a speed faster than Devs intended meant the power was too strong, so numbers got scaled back until we have what is currently on Live. In order for it to be as competitive as it is now, those numbers need to revert back to the originals, or at least close.

Fan? For the amount of time you are now stuck in that animation, that single hit is not enough. It needs to do damage that spans the length of that animation or else there will be no point in keeping it in rotations. That initial hit when you could get rid of fan instantly made sense, so making that same damage stick for a much longer animation time is likely going to remove it from most everyone's rotation.

DoT moves? They're all far too low compared to other power sets' DoTs. Some of this is PIs, but Spikequake, Chompers, Grasping Hand, Snap Trap? All those DoTs could be looked at.

With T6 gear being might/prec together instead of separate sets, we probably need to start looking at both Might and Prec ticks on things because our Might will increase. We want to make sure we're not relying on the pure prec builds we used in T5. I think there's a lot of testing to be done. I know broken combos are causing an issue right now...but after the runs the other night, if Light hits Live like it currently is on Test...it's not going to be good. Our healer almost caught a DPS in damage...and it's not like she was really putting out DPS numbers.
    • Like x 6
  15. jr1nc Dedicated Player

well good and bad news ive shot some videos and i will post soon ,my opinion they need to give HL some damage back to keep up with other dps! but i will post soon
    • Like x 1
  16. Remander Steadfast Player

Thanks for the details. I couldn't stick around for the debrief after that A&B run. The fact that I covered JR by a large margin despite not having my HT mods active for half the raid and not participating in the Metro battle at all (as I was recharging my mainframe) speaks volumes.

I've not personally tested them, but I think that HL combos are probably feeling a lot more like Celestial and Rage combos now. The animations for the might cast portions of every ability throughout the game are now ~1 sec across the board. For Celestial and Rage, that's not much of a change. HL (and others, like Gadgets) was used to much quicker might casts to get into the combos. Since you can't get into the combo without letting the might cast play out, there is simply no way to speed it up. I'm seeing a similar issue with Earth's Jackhammer. The might cast is so slow now that the ability feels more like Upheaval, which was always discounted due to it's speed. Fact is that I think this is the new speed of the game, and some of us will have to adjust much more than others. Fortunately, it does seem like they are planning a damage pass to try and make up for the relative nerfs created by these animation changes. Won't do anything for the speed complaints, though. So, combos are all going to be slow, but efficient. HL will play more like Celestial and Rage (and to some extent Earth), if you want to use the combos. Clipped might casts will still be fast, but less efficient, so you will still be able to create rotations that don't rely on combos, if you want to speed things up, but it will be at the cost of power efficiency.

I also replied to Mepps in the JC thread and suggested, as I mentioned the other night, that either channeling be removed altogether, like they did with charged holds, or that the damage of channeled casts be increased significantly to justify using them. As is, damage channels are really only good for JC. You can do better damage clipping other abilities.
    • Like x 3
  17. jr1nc Dedicated Player

Capture 06:

well this is what I did... I kinda think the combo construct are working as interned now... there is a small window in between.. as I tried every combo I come to the conclusion that fan is out of the equation. So what im running is light blast because of the ticks compare to fan.. so in this video i will show my combos and clipping working on gu36 but the damage needs to be buffed I will run anb again against rage and see how much damage im behind.. but maybe the devs can see the numbers and consider to buff damage... I haven't given up on hard light so please work on it lol
    here are my combos
    claw-hold claw (clip hold claw with ram remember there is a small window if you clip fast you will not get the white damage)
    Ram-whip trash (clip whip trash with snap trap now remember there is a sec on the window to clip whip trash)
    Snap-light blast
    So in my combo this is how you would do it
    claw-hold claw/ram-whip trash/snap trap-light blast (*-* means combo construct */* means clip)

More combos
    impact-grasping hand-light blast (very small window between grasping hand and light blast)
    Snap trap-light blast
    ram-snap trap-light blast

These are combos I used in this video
    but since the devs want animation to play out light blast would be a finisher ending all combos and its the only power that ticks for a finisher
    The combos dont hit hard and yes its slow damage
    so here are some options reset hard light damage or speed up animation
    resetting damage as when hard light first came out and work on nurfing damage little by little
    speed up animation and Hard light would struggle to keep up with damage and would feel like a fast pace power
    I think there is potential to make hard light fun and challenging but this update needs work on hard light
    • Like x 3
  18. jr1nc Dedicated Player

For those that are on the test server and play hard light check the combo constructs because they may work after all wheater its slow or not it may not be broken after all

Btw thanks for the support and the wonderful people in this community
    remander , farmerbob , and 2 of my own zhouz and lovely tikkun and others... jeebie you my boy lol
    • Like x 3
  19. Tikkun Loyal Player

I'm so proud of you for not giving up on HL even though it is really frustrating right now!
  20. Remander Steadfast Player

JR, speed-wise that actually doesn't look half bad. It's slower, no doubt, but still looks faster than I expected. I agree, though, that the damage has to be buffed now. I saw a lot of numbers, but most were low to mid values with only an occasional burst of 2k or so. What were your stats in that vid?
    • Like x 1