Dev Discussion GU73: Controllers

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Mepps, Jul 26, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duzzit Active Player

There's a problem when trying to power-heal higher CR characters in lower content.

Example

League hall - Security Breach - 4 DPS (I'm 202 full might spec - the others are 100-109)
    in this scenario i have no problem maintaining my power.

The problem comes if you add a controller into the mix...

League Hall - Security Breach - 2 DPS, 1 Troll, 1 Heal
    in this scenario my power is always burning out, no matter what the troll does. Same CR's again, me 202 DPS and them 100-109

Shouldn't it be the other way around that i struggle for power?
    • Like x 1
  2. Predicament Well-Known Player

Mental is the only powerset giving an animation to the party members receiving the weapon buff. I have run with a quantum and HL troll and their power back doesn't give an animation to players who receive the buff, neither does gadgets defib. Only mental does this
    • Like x 2
  3. 9001BPM Steadfast Player

Please please please make mass hysteria last as long as it did pre-revamp. If that would make it OP then decrease the damage from the pets or increase the supercharge requirement to 10000. I want to fly longer. :-/ Also for the love of all things good, make terror tendrils explode ONLY on contact with enemies. They should go through friendlies and non-destructible scenery like trees.
    • Like x 2
  4. Taerie Active Player

i think what you're running into here is the difference between the role-less buff and the lack luster effect of a 100-109' trollers effect on your power pool which even fully modded for that CR is going to be pretty limited proportionally to a 202's power pool

i haven't noticed any significant "stab in the eye" things that were glaringly obvious in reference to 100-109 troller proportions to other 100-109s - it felt slightly futile yet appropriate at the same time but i haven't compared it or tested vs role-less which in it's own category, role-less seems to be effective at least as a patchover for a missing support role(s)
  5. Duzzit Active Player

yep that's exactly what i'm referring to. the roleless buff works great but when it's removed i'm totally screwed lol

this probably also applies to healers healing a high cr too, but my defense is so high that i don't take much damage so it's much less noticeable. power scaling costs for skills causes this problem
  6. Pher Active Player

Why do Trolls have the lowest stat bonuses in the Stats table?

Why did you make the game harder for everyone to have power?
    At least the troll shouldn't struggle, that's inconsistent, don't you think?
    • Like x 2
  7. Wburner44 New Player

Ever consider that it might be your lack of skill points being the cause of your power problem?
  8. Rockdaddy099 Level 30

For HL troll impact and ram are not stunning NPC'S is this intended the only stun that works is light blast if this is correct the effects in description should be changed
    • Like x 1
  9. SparkmanX Committed Player

Hi

I have been light controller for several years. In general terms, Hard Light has never been considered one of the best powers for controllers in the game since always, but at least it had something that made it original of the other powers: Its construct combos could regenerate power through quickly increasing the hit Counters just as weapons do.

For example: A combo like: Ram -into- snap trap -into- light blast, managed to increase the hit counter to tier 2. This involved a quick regeneration of your power bar and at the same time kept the enemy under control.

Currently these qualities were removed from the light controllers. Now my construct combos do not regenerate any power and also keep anyone under control. Hard light has lost that quality that made it original and different.:(

If the goal is that Hard light is the same as the other powers of controllers, then you have to make one last important change to be efficient as the other powers.

I have noticed that in power abilities I can choose between two abilities that put de-buff. Among them we can list the following:

Attack De-buff we have:

- Grasping Hand :)
    - LWS ;)

These are good options since LWS is fast and you do not get trapped in any animation, it also allows you to load your supercharge. On the other hand, with GH you can make a contruct combo and turn it into a puller

The problem with the Hard Light controllers is in the defense de-buff . Among the skills we have:

- Whip trash :confused:
    - Light Blast o_O

Ok, here's the deal. Both abilities can generate construct combos, therefore, we must be careful with the buttons that we push, because if you press a extra tap or hold button, then your construct change to another construct that we do not need. This problem does not have the other powers since you can use your power and then continue to use your weapon without fear of being wrong. However, this is a minuscule setback compared to the ones I will mention below.

1. Whip trash is a melee skill and the only way to make it efficient is to clip to the animation at the right time. This is an inescapable effort taking into account that the other powers do not need to do this to be efficient, only the light has this drawback.

Forcing players to have to cut animations seems to me to only make the power look clumsy. I understand that cutting animations is a nice thing for dps as it allows them to do damage faster, however I see it unnecessary and almost a nuisance for controllers to have to quickly cut the animation just to put a simple de-buff and nothing else.:mad:

Also, why would I want a melee de-buff anyway? There is an inconsistency between this power ability and the traditional way in which controllers play (we usually do everything from a distance) This is a debate that we have had with devs for many years.

Whip trash is one of the worst power abilities for controller throughout the game, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks the same thing.

2- The other option is light blast, which many consider the best option for many reasons. However, you have the disadvantage that you have to jump to cancel the animation. This detail makes the Light be awkward compared to other powers that do not need to do any of these things

My recomendation.

Very simple, they should give us the opportunity to choose a power ability that puts the defensive de-buff, but make it quick and efficient as LWS. this means:

1- That can hit and control several enemies
    2- Make it fast and do not get caught up in any animation
    3- May not be able to become a construct combo, since these are completely useless with the current changes that have made this magnificent power.

If it were in my hands to make this change, I would shift whip trash as de-buff defense and replace it with spikequake. In this way, those who want to continue using Light blast, can do it and those who do not like that option can choose a faster and simpler as spikequake
    • Like x 1
  10. Eddevil Well-Known Player

I used to love trolling but now it gets boring within first 5 minutes of a raid. Reason? Player has no control over power. PoT is random. Instant is really low. At 200CR with 330SP I would expect to fill my partner's power bar atleast half in a duo. If you wanna promote this new PoT system, Fine. It makes sense (a little bit). But increase the instant power. Not all trolls wanna play with CC. Some of us actually wanna be battery. One more thing, run alert without a troll and your power will regenerate much faster. With troll, you will always be out of power. Please "do not" decrease roleless buff but increase trollers power out. So trollers can be relevant in all types of instances.

On the good side, loving the new gadgets sheild. Loving the whipthrash defence debuff.
    • Like x 5
  11. Alrighty Then Loyal Player

Dev was saying due to its nature, TT has to regarded as a skill shot.
    If you want it to hit its intended target, get real close.
  12. CassUV Well-Known Player

Yes, thats what im saying before. WhipTrash is bad for us controllers. It forces us to go near the target while, as controller, we actually need stay far from it. Maybe Impact - once we dont have more PoT powers - with defense debuff is a option or, more viable yet, decrease the cooldown aof Light Blast, 4.4 seconds for a debuff its too long. Maybe 2 seconds will be good.

Thats the question. We need that us, controllers, have our power out increased. Usually when this complains shows, they debuff the roleless buff but, like you said, its the oposite, we need give power like the roleless buff - maybe a little more - and not decrease the roleless buff.

We need a buff power, not debuff roleless buff.
    • Like x 1
  13. recoil Committed Player

is quantum supposed to have 4 different supercharges? i've ran a few raids/alerts and like everybody else quantum trolling just seems inadequate.
  14. supalova20 Well-Known Player

A raid team should ALWAYS HAVE 2 CONTROLLERS.......period!
    A alert team should ALWAYS BE 1111.....TEAM EFFICIENCY!
  15. Aqua Surge Loyal Player

I made a gadget toon and gadget's shield last the entire duration of the cooldown. Other powers shields are like 18 seconds but i believe gadgets is 12 seconds? Is this intended?
  16. light FX Steadfast Player

Watched singularity, gravity bomb, and oblivion all miss today. Flat out miss targets and 0 dmg. I saw a response about positioning better and honestly i find that insulting. If the boss is 5 meters in front of me and i cast my 100% supercharge and it misses? How can i position myself better? I cant aim the ability once its cast. There is no skill involved in this either. When u are that close to an enemy and the ability misses its flat out broken.
    • Like x 1
  17. ozzy1111 Dedicated Player

really don't see this. on my q troll, power is fine. I debuff. I pick up. I can do it all. now, if your (smh) trying to battle troll...
  18. recoil Committed Player

it's really more solo stuff than anything. i just have no self heals. trolling really isn't that bad when i think about it.
  19. ozzy1111 Dedicated Player

well yes. if your trying to do solo's (dailies) as a troll. that might not work so good...
  20. recoil Committed Player

well not as a troll no. i dps in solos and pretty much anything more than 2 tiers below my current cr and troll in alerts/raids. my biggest gripe is that group shield and self heals are both supercharges. not really a problem except maybe the self heals.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.