GU39 Preview: Proficiencies

Discussion in 'Concluded' started by Zinbik, Jun 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neidler New Player

class warfare
  2. LowFlyingMoon Loyal Player

You don't understand what either of those words means...
    • Like x 1
  3. neidler New Player

and now your calling me a stupid minority, stay classy.
  4. LeRassTyphon Well-Known Player

I love the idea but it taking count only to the pve side of the game may we have something for pvp leagues some prestige to unlock the same type of reward in pvp stance them dont have to be in the same set so pve prestige + pvp prestige(ex:league vs league match) working independantly to keep some balance and give those type of Proficiencies are bonuses???
    • Like x 1
  5. Jaobigboy New Player

Hey, it's Burger King and you can have it your way! Play alone, or join a league. Dcuo gave you free will! Enjoy!
    • Like x 2
  6. Jaobigboy New Player

Um, no!
    • Like x 1
  7. Notangie New Player

I changed my signature for the second time ever.
  8. Karasawa Loyal Player

In light of the fact that league size affects our ability to acquire proficiencies, I don't think it's a good idea to have league-only bonuses that have a significant impact on gameplay performance. Otherwise, you're creating a situation that burdens our freedom of association. The only factors that should have any bearing on whether I choose to join or leave a league is how well I get along with the people in said league.

At the very least, the bonuses should be entirely non-damage related. Ideally, bonuses would only be related to aesthetics like increased drop rates on base items, styles, discounts from vendors, or even slight bonuses to cash rewards.
    • Like x 3
  9. Anhur Committed Player

A question occurred to me and I have had a quick scan through the thread to see if it has already been clarified, but I do not see - I apologise if it has already been addressed;

What are the percentage increases based on?

Is it the individual player? Is it their base stats, or the stats they have including all equipment, SP and modding? Is it a blanket percentage increase based on a league stat? And so on.
  10. LeRassTyphon Well-Known Player

I love the idea but it taking count only to the pve side of the game may we have something for pvp leagues some prestige to unlock the same type of reward in pvp stance them dont have to be in the same set so pve prestige + pvp prestige(ex:league vs league match) working independently to keep some balance and give those type of Proficiencies bonus???

a sharing opinion on people in general it looks like it is not as open minded as tought
    the fact is that opinion dont really help in-game why do you want a reward for that ?

if most leagues sucks did you try to do a better one ? or you just complaining on them?
  11. chipzes Committed Player

The deal with proficiencies is the same as with skillpoints: you won't even notice the difference of one, but just having that "+1% X" gives you the feeling that you actually got stronger - making it something to strive for for min-maxers. The difference is that you can stack SP to get really significant boosts whereas you can't stack league proficiencies.
    Will this make league members OP over leagueless players? No. Will we even notice the difference? No. Will we be able to tell from the scoreboard or actual gameplay if someone uses proficiencies or not? Nope.

This is just another wave of qq about "I don't want to do X which is required for Y so noone should be able to get Y or I should get it for free". If you don't want to participate in one aspect of the game then don't, you can play the game just fine without. If you want to maximize everything then you need to participate in everything, and it is just fair for SOE to include joining a league there since this is a social game.
    • Like x 5
  12. FameYack Committed Player

You are not inferior,
    Take pride of your own decision and deal with it,

I like Notangie signature:
    "Proficiencies? There will just be huge bull crap leagues that are for the stats only. Not knowing your league mate from Adam, just leagues for the innates. This will cheapen leagues and make the focus go from quality to quantity. Existing leagues may disband and merge to get more numbers. Leagues will just be the name under your name and actual leagues will be demoted to cliques within mega leagues, separated by custom chat channels".

People is yet to realize that some problems will indeed occur but as you stated,

If a 3% -20% buff is going to get you depress is not worth it,

...This might be another HomeTurf and WM event :eek:

Damage buffs up to 6% with low health,
    Crit Attack Chnc is only 1% consider yourself saving 1 to 5 SP
    3% might is from 3000 to 3090;
    Those are nice and yet very humble buffs,
    5% SC means you get it 1 to 5 hits before you'd actually get it, you should usually have it around 5/10 minutes before using it right?

So it is only a problem if we don't do math, this is not visible SP, is just a nice perk, like the one legendary has with No Escrow,
    • Like x 1
  13. Karasawa Loyal Player

The proficiencies you listed are all statistically significant, combat related advantages. Having no escrow is non-combat related so it's not a big deal to me. Actually, having no escrow would be an awesome proficiency to have with league halls, lol.
  14. FameYack Committed Player

"No Escrow" :D yeah i'd love it myself, at least a CAP up like 1000 or 2000 would save me some space when getting into raids ;)

Some Musts for these are:

+3% Damage Out
    +3% Damage Out when below 30% Health
    +1% Critical Attack Chance & Damage
    +3% Might & Precision
    +3% Dominance, Restoration, and Vitalization

Still, people has gone ok without them and will be fine regadless
  15. LeRassTyphon Well-Known Player

that s mostly a human nature issue devs cant fixe that this game is already a big deal :p
  16. MetalMario Loyal Player

Sorry if this has been addressed already, but the cost of these things must be balanced with a certain league size in mind. Does anyone know what size that would be?
  17. DarkThorn Dedicated Player

Sadly, the ONLY way you can invite an alt is IF the alt is online at the time... so you would have to have at least two different players in the league... that way one could sign off and on with their alts so they could be invited to join- after that, sure, anything you did with your alt would contribute to your league... but the fact remains that a solo person cannot invite their alts without help from someone else.

They said 40-50 members was their target for balance.

They really aren't 'significant' at all. Say you hit a 10k Crit, the added "3% Damage Increase" would only be an additional 300 points- nothing significant. 5% Health on a character with 6000 health points only equals 300 extra health points. None of these stats do I consider 'significant', they are only a slight improvement. As the devs said, "nothing game-breaking". As many others have said, these proficiencies will not be missed or necessary for those not in leagues.
    • Like x 3
  18. MetalMario Loyal Player

Characters or humans? If it's the second then it's pretty much a middle finger to the villain side. Figures.

Significant means measurably different from nothing, so yes they're significant. A difference of 300 prec/might is easily observable and quantifiable, which would stack on top of the 3% damage bonus as well as the crit buff, so we're talking around a 7-8% increase in damage if you're above 30% health.
    • Like x 4
  19. CanopicJar Well-Known Player

I disagree with this. 300 again and again over the course of any run is going to amount to one helluva significant difference in the final stats... that math is undeniable. So... exactly how many times do people perform their combos/rotation in a raid?
    • Like x 3
  20. Karasawa Loyal Player

Lately, there's been a lot of talk about proficiencies and how much of an advantage they really give medium to large sized leagues. In a purely mathematical sense, they are a definite advantage because they will result in a measurable difference to your gameplay performance.

However, whether it's a measurable advantage or not is not what is important. What's relevant is (1) how much of an advantage do we PERCEIVE the proficiencies to be, and (2) are those advantages sufficiently small that the community finds them good but not gamebreaking and thus acceptable.

With that in mind, I only take issue with 4 of the 13 listed proficiencies because the advantages they give are very direct and immediately apparent. The first two proficiencies I take issue with are:
    • +3% Might & Precision
    • +3% Dominance, Restoration, and Vitalization
    Having a direct increase to your stats means you will always have better stats than an equally geared individual without that proficiency. So a troller with the proficiency will always have more vit than a non-proficiency troller even though their skill points, gear, and skill are otherwise equal. A 3% boost for a troller with 2800 vit means a difference of 84 vit. That's the difference between being primary or secondary troller irrespective of your skill level.

Even without those 2 proficiencies, dps will still have +1% crit chance/damage and +3% damage out while below 30% health. Healers and trollers will have +1% crit healing and power healing chance & magnitude as well as +5% power and supercharge. Those proficiencies are acceptable to me because the advantages are more indirect/less readily perceived and, thus, harder to discriminate based on.

I also take issue with:
    • +3% Damage Out
    • +3% Healing Out
    These proficiencies will also be readily apparent to any observers, and their benefits will add up quite a lot over the course of a raid or in survival mode. In contrast, I do not find a problem with +3% healing received or power received because they're unlikely to be noticed. A healer/troller with or without the proficiency would still be giving more heals/power to someone with the +3% received proficiency.

Perhaps those 4 proficiencies could be replaced with something equally useful but non-combat related such as:
    • 1% chance for base and style items
    • 1% more cash rewards
    • 3% discount from vendors
    • 10% cooldown reduction on teleporting
    • 5% reduced upkeep on lair items/generator
    • 5% temporay prestige booster
    • 1% off auction house cash deposits
    • etc.
    • Like x 3
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.