For those who think the sky is falling

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by coldchilln88, Feb 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Proxystar #Perception

No it doesn't matter, you're trying to deflect from the reality.

One is a DC product, one is not.

It makes absolutely more sense to insert DC cosmetics in, shock horror DC universe online, than it does fortnite.

The difference is that one is seeing the marketing opportunity and the other isn't.

I don't say this in any way to disrespect the developers, thats not my intention, they do a brilliant job with the styles they do create, but are they missing a perfect marketing opportunity by not tapping into the movie universe for the very IP theyre using.

Absolutely, absolutely!

That's what matters, so yes, it isn't my problem what conversations happen between Daybreak and Warner Brothers, but I'm certainly going to point out what i see is a massive missed opportunity

Jackster said in the article more fan service, what does he even anticipate that too be, no where in his article did he even really even answer anything... define fan service, what does Jack define it as? What does Jack want to add? What does Jack think about movie collaboration?

I really don't care what you think, but what would be enlightening is if Jack answered without answering in a way that actually evades giving much of an answer at all.

I respect Jack, he's obviously the CEO of this game, he's an intelligent guy, but was that interview intriguing, absolutely not..

Am i bemused by the lack of collaboration or disconnect between this game, the only DCUO, MMO and the DC cinematic universe and other significant tv shows, yes I am...
    • Like x 1
  2. High Troller Loyal Player

The obvious thing is that we are all guilty of supporting this type of monetary progression.
    • Like x 1
  3. Proxystar #Perception

But the delivery method does matter, tell me do you have a neon chroma, do you have both? Do you have other ultra rare time capsule cosmetics?

You cant just put cosmetics in the game behind an absurd RNG wall then go, look what we added it is absurd and as customers we shouldn't accept that, but what it's ok because 2 years it'll go on the quark vendor, at absurd rates as well?!?

Again, you're missing my point, as a customer it means nothing to me what discussions are going on, you don't know either and likewise you shouldn't care, it's not your business to care, you're not paid by Daybreak, are you?

So with that being the case, what matters is the end result, what's in the game, how does it get in the game, when does it get in the game.

And I'm not saying there aren't numerous cosmetics in the game that are great and amazing, I'm not sure why you could interpret that in my posts.

But again, as the customer, despite having some great stuff already, I'm quite within reason to still ask questions about where other stuff is that's perceivably missing.

Obviously asserting that my bemusement is acting like we dont have other cosmetics couldn't be more misplaced and actually entirely misses the point.
    • Like x 2
  4. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

Well this is where i just say we'll agree to disagree. Carry on.
    • Like x 1
  5. Proxystar #Perception

No, we have said our piece, obviously :), as you were
  6. TestReporter Loyal Player

Both of you have a point. I'm 100% sure the devs would have loved to put lantern emblems, superman styles and harley's hair on sale since day 1, styles like this are a mine of gold when there were tens of thousands of dc lovers online in 2011/2012, but were them just lazy? Don't think so, they probably had and have issues with DC licensing for this kind of thing. DC/Warner are probably really hard to deal with (Almost a century of history that just can't be in the hands of anybody out there) and I have to admit the devs did a great job in the past 4 years putting iconic styles in the game.

When talking about IP, I don't believe we can compare a billionaire game that has millions of players each day like Fortnite having something DCUO doesn't. If I were Warner Bros, I'd give Epic Games the rights to use Harley's style for free just for the sake of advertising. In the other hand I'd hard charge Daybreak for it, since DCUO's playerbase already knows the DC movie universe very well and there is no way a company with 4-5 low populated games treats my brand better than Epic.

In the other hand, any player who loves to play MMO because of customization would probably quit DCUO once they discover the lantern emblems or that cool phoenix material is locked behind a gambling box (that have like 2% chances of giving you the right collections for the style) and they probably will never have the chance to get them. But I must admit they'd also quit if there were no cool and fresh iconic styles in the game and they didn't know why.

So, yes, the delivery method does matter 100%, you can't just pretend everyone will accept the RNG crap. And yes, the discussions there are going on between the DCUO team and Warner/DC matter as well, once a player is noticed the devs can't do something because of license issues, he/she should understand the situation and not treat it like they are just missing a good chance when they never had the opportunity in the first place.

Probably used my yearly DCUO forum discussing quota after this one lol.
    • Like x 2
  7. lordexecution365 Loyal Player

This whole thing seems to be a bunch of speculation and personal well thought of, self indulging, I know this and that while I ignore everything that is said cause the developers are liars when they said they have more flexibility now with the game.

One thing for certain that this game needs is more developers.

Every time I see this type of discussion I think about new people coming in and trying to catch-up on something that they did not start, when their experience is with something totally different than what they are facing.

Yes coding is coding, 1's are 1's and 0's are 0's, doesn't mean that this game is setup the same as the game they are coming from.

For years people begged for the color green, we got green, we even got some emblems.

They are not going to make getting anything super easy unless it is a gimmick to encourage us or others to play or come back and play.

I have said it for years, year after year, this game is to simple and does not appeal to people who wants the style of play like what fortnite offers or NBA live or COD, just to slow for the participation trophy age and it really has no other competition for the type of game that DC has.

I understand that there is a group of people who met or did take part in discussing content directly with the developers before, but, as far as I know that ended when it became DB.

None of this bickering about who is right or wrong, whether WB supports, hinders, care or don't care, will change the fact that without people knowing the system that DC is using will change anything because they will be learning or changing so much that by the time the did anything to much time would have change.

The only course of action I see is to go at it as they have, with simple, not to complex mechanics and purposeful content to keep us entertained until the next whatever time is convenient to make a brand new map and not a rehash one or an old one.

It will be ok with time, whether this game survives for 20 years or not, pretty sure copy right is preventing others from coming out right now.
  8. coldchilln88 Loyal Player

Basically

And 1 more thing.

Because DC didnt do a big promo for BoP or give us a Harley costume its an issue? I understand this is just an example.

That other BR has done a couple events for DC. If you want to call them that. And this latest one for BoP. Thats why they were directly related to the movie.

The argument is now that DCUO doesnt do enough of this or any of it? Or misses opportunities?

Well the next Ep is BoP.

We had shazam time capsules that correlated with the shazam movie.

We had a whole Atlantis DLC conveniently dropped when Aquaman was coming out

When Suicide Squad came out we got a new PvP mode map and gear for deadshot that coincided with that movie coming out

When BvS came out we got limited time Swag bags with movie posters and emblems.

When CWs super girl first dropped they gave us a exclusive Legends skin. It cant be used anymore. But hey they tried.
    If im missing any idk.

But id say DCUO does what they can. Anything else or "missed" opportunities that have come along well we just dont have any insight on that. And as this post said. For DC the Fortnite content is free advertising. In DCUO we are already usually a fan.

But hey. If some want to believe the DCUO sky is still falling. *shrug*
    • Like x 2
  9. SugarHoneyIcedTeaMix Well-Known Player

[IMG]
    • Like x 2
  10. Dark Soldier Dedicated Player

Hired in 2016
    In the 4 years since 2016 rainbow 6 went from being one of the biggest failures in ubi history to being one of gamings biggest comeback successes.
    For honor also made a good comeback ... proving that even at lowest of points game comebacks do happen ( i know ubi is in retreat right now bc ghost recon,, but the host one of the biggest e sports in gaming so trust me,, they’re fine)

EA has taken several blows that put them very low in the dev respect charts, for the most part their downfall came in the form of micro transactions,, but! People say that battlefront 2s revamp has made it one of the best all out war games they’ve played in this generation, the comeback was doubtful but achieved.

A new ip popped up and took over the world, fortnite was a sensation that is hard to kill even tho e everyone and their mom trying.. their success w direct purchase have led to many other games abandoning loot boxes and going for battle passes

Elder scroll online, a mmo game that came out in 2014 and was a train wreck, has comeback, still has its faults .. but their working on it, infact next month everyone has to uninstall the game and re install because the devs have figured out a way to shrink storage space and fix frame drops.

These are only a few games that have made major major major comebacks despite being at rock bottom, if dcuo needs inspiration its not hard to find some.

Operation: health ,, saved rainbow 6.. yes it was a brief period of no new content. But the fixes were worth it & brought people back
  11. Black Peacock Active Player

From what I gather, DCUO's dev team is probably insanely small, so they probably don't have time to work on things outside of Episodes. Things get blamed on being too difficult to make (for example bracers) but we see they're doable, the dev team is probably too small to take time working on them.

Speaking of cosmetics...well, it's clear they care about maximising profit as much as they can. People eat up chromas and materials and ****. And we do get quite a bit of new styles through the year, but the issue is that most of those styles are far too bulky and don't fit in with the superhero aesthetic.

I'm still waiting for a simple jacket piece to go over slimlines (like Rogue or Canary). And don't get me started on the fact that they can't spare the manpower to fix the Goth Leggings, which have been broken (and reported as broken) since they released the updated skins.

We'll probably never see tie in gear unless they figure out how to pack it into lockboxes. It just doesn't work profit-wise. And we as a community need to stop consuming all the RNG.
  12. Lord Of 5 Well-Known Player

The Lord would never wear bunny ears in this great game or any other game. Just how the Holy One roles.
    • Like x 2
  13. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

Money talks. Fortnite is a billion dollar game with 100x the players DCUO has.
    • Like x 3
  14. HurricaneErrl Dedicated Player

There is a much larger marketing opportunity with fortnite unfortunately. That game has become so big that it has swallowed up all of pop culture and whether we like it or not, as long as Fortnite is taking in hundreds of millions of dollars and are able to expose your product to millions of eyes in a key demographic, they are going to keep getting all the movie tie in exclusives. I hear what you're saying, but Warner Bros are more interested in where the money is. Advertising this game likely does nothing for Warner Bros anyways. They probably get a set licensing fee regardless regardless of how much this game does or doesn't make, and are happy to just have it keep rolling in. This is a Warner Bros thing, and most likely far out of thendevs hands
    • Like x 1
  15. Proxystar #Perception

For someone that speaks about themselves in the third person, that suprises me :p
    • Like x 1
  16. SilkyPawz Bunny

This^^^ years ago was told we would get Cat Ears, Hello Catwoman :rolleyes: an still nuffin.
    • Like x 2
  17. BumblingB I got better.

That's pretty much the sum of it. (Pun intended.)

Money talks. You want something bad enough in your game and have the money to do it. Just keep throwing wads of cash in the license holder's face until they start picking it up.

DCUO has the license, but they also have to get permission to use IP in a certain way outside of the license. It's not a matter of I have the license to put X character in game, it's more of I need to get a special permission to use X character for Y promotion.

In the case of other companies that may not be using a license theme, they can just get a special one time license to do a collaboration. Mobile games do it all the time.

There are some things that I scratch my head on why DCUO doesn't do, like just straight up advertising the game, but when it comes to matching up licenses, I can see why they aren't on par with other games.
  18. Proxystar #Perception

My point all along, wasn't that I'm oblivious to Epic Games monetary influence but rather a bemusement that Daybreak, aren't getting any tie ins, seemingly at all, despite being the more natural player choice to see the tie in.

Once upon a time as you'll no doubt remember we had BvS items, they were removed, we had a TV insprised Supergirl legends character, removed. This virtually happened without much word.

It indicates to me some sort of break down in the rights to use the items.

My point is and again, I'm not particularly interested in what other players, think are the reasons, despite the fact everyone can obviously take a guess, I would be interested to hear a clear and consice answer from Jack Emmert as to what he is doing, has done to negotiate such tie ins with Warner Brothers, because that's what I'm really interested in knowing.

If that answer became "we get locked out because Epic Games got entirely exclusive rights to Harley Quinn's likeness" then that would be the answer, but has to come from Daybreak not a player hypothesizing that to be the reason, the next follow up question of course being "Does Daybreak have any plans to go in harder on any future exclusive rights"? Does Daybreak have plans to release anything similar

That's why I also found the originally linked interview quite "uninteresting" there were no real probing questions, no follow up questions, the journalist doing the interview also seemed oblivious to the fact most questions went entirely unanswered.

It is also not lost on me that we have an upcoming Birds of Prey DLC coming up and we may very well get something like the style I'm talking about, nevertheless this is of course but only one example of what are preceivably missed opportunities in my view over the last 9 years.
    • Like x 1
  19. Proxystar #Perception

And if Daybreak went to Warner Brothers and said "hey there's a new suicide squad movie, harley looks cool, can we sell her movie outfit to our players?"; why do you think they would say no?
    • Like x 1
  20. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Because their deal is with WB Games and not WB directly, maybe. Getting access to something from the movies might require a different license and/or deal, seeing as how (last I knew) the current license only covers the comics.
    • Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.