Test Discussion Episode 30: Rewards Feedback

Discussion in 'Testing Feedback' started by Avair, Nov 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Anxient Loyal Player

That's exactly what I was getting at but ppl would rather be snarky and condescending than actually listen.
    • Like x 4
  2. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

The game is always going to continually evolve as we continue to assess player feedback, which can change over time.

Some players are directly asking for the event set of gear to be dropped instead of on the vendor, so it's great that you don't agree, but it is not constructive to mischaracterize what others are saying.

The disconnect here is mostly math related, as far as I can tell. We added an inexpensive vendor suit (because most players and especially event players want to have this available) in this new event + episode format, and because most players don't want to chase another set via RNG. We compensated by increasing currency output and by decreasing the costs of the suits by 50% through the discount system.

So we had two sets of gear. 2. Now we have three sets. 3. And we have extended the discount system, so it's one full price set of gear, and two half priced sets of gear, which adds up to...two sets of gear. Plus, the added set is much cheaper. Plus, bonus currency in elite. For whatever reason, that math isn't resonating, so we're reviewing that feedback and options.
    • Like x 2
  3. Samuiel Well-Known Player

The best thing that can be done is , to have purple drops from this episode have the Johny Quick style , while at the same time we have the current vendor gear and styles.So if someone doesn't get the Johny Quick head or back or whatever piece from drops, then they can go on vendor and buy that missing piece.Why the dcuo team doesn't want to implement that?
    • Like x 4
  4. BumblingB I got better.

It's not resonating because it's jarring to look at. There are 3 sets of gear, but because the math shows cost of 2. Which puts it in the same issue that we originally had that proxy mentioned, we don't really have time to enjoy the current gear we have before we get the next unless we replay the heck out of it. There is no enjoyment to the use of the gear, especially the OP gear before it's replaced. Then add on elite renown required. So if a player has to run some normal content to gear up to run the elite content, he then has to go back and buy the elite gear max no? Unless I'm mistaken, you buy the elite gear, normal is half, not the other way around correct?

We appreciate the 3 sets of gear and enjoy the styles that come with it, but obtaining it to actually use them when the only progression is gear based, is just jarring.
    • Like x 3
  5. The Anxient Loyal Player

There's a disconnect in communication not the math. I along with others stated that the quick gear should be purple drops for at level characters along with being on the vendor. Not one or the other.
  6. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Just for clarity, we are expecting you to use and enjoy the first set of gear you acquire, for that to be the best set you're going after, and then pick up the other sets later for feats/styles. Right now, we're expecting any necessary gearing up to come from dropped gear, so you can take full advantage of the discount.
    • Like x 1
  7. Zamara Dedicated Player

I got a doubt, from the announcement thread i get that the event versions of the instances are for everyone above level 10 but what about the other versions? it only specifies players/elite players CR 207+, does that mean anyone 207+ can play the other versions even if they don't own the content? the reason i think it's that way is because of the member/owner box you guys mentioned at the end
  8. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

You must purchase Episode 30 or be a member to play the non-event content or obtain its rewards.
  9. Mazahs Loyal Player

Myself and many people here run dual roles in end game.
    Especially if that player wants to primarily tank, troll or heal the game itself forces you to play dps (thanks roleless buff)

Now you are another set of gear to grind also. Sorry but the math isn't resonating because its still not right.
    • Like x 2
  10. BumblingB I got better.

At that point, it is merely style feat then. I think I see the disconnect between your intentions and the player's viewpoint. You(the devs) actually think that players are wanting to just pick the gear that best suits them, when the player sees it as acquiring the best gear to progress. Those are not equal to each other and makes perfect sense on why this conversation will continue to happen.
    • Like x 4
  11. Mepps Sr. Community Manager

Can you further explain the difference, from your point of view?
  12. Proxystar #Perception

Evolve yes, swing extremely between different ideas every DLC, respectfully; no I don't think that's a good thing.

By swinging I mean almost every part of it, by and large, changes with each episode often between ideas already tried i.e. the elite gear being 2CR higher etc, has been tried before hence my question; why are we going back there?

When things evolve parts of it change and often slowly, not the entire way the reward system seems to function each time.

In terms of the purple gear, sorry, perhaps I should have been clearer.

I agree with the others, I think the purple Johnny Quick style should be the purple drop and it should also be on the vendor; two places in which to obtain it. I then think those purple drops need to be more generous so that you're not left scrambling to try and get it and/or at least have it in the rare style vendor.

With that being said above I'm not sure where you're going with the 'mischaracterization of others' so I'll just leave that point alone.

In terms of the disconnect with the math, as BumblingB noted it's rather jarring and almost too convoluted. This is how it all looks on face value and how the player is going to approach it.

Elite Player: Goes straight for the elite set (if they can beat elite content) now if they're beating elite content day one with the gear we've already got, what does that say about elite content? People weren't beating Nexus and Paradox day one; perhaps that's the disconnect here, well at least for me anyway.

I see an MMO as being a progressional ladder that you climb up, not climb down. Elite gear should be an extension too your normal gear as a reward for beating the hardest content, not beating the hardest content day one and then climbing down the ladder to get the inferior gear only to immediately trash it.

I don't know, I just don't see the satisfaction in that, maybe others do; who knows?

Perhaps the elite gear is over priced and should be cheaper and unobtainable until you finish a normal set, then you can actually get the 2 sets you really want or three, depending on if they want two elite; you're then asking them to grind an additional set, cheaper or not solely at that point for the sake of grinding.

This is going to be an elite players desire

- elite dps set
    - elite support set
    - normal vendor set (for the feat and style) - immediately trashed
    - johnny quick set (for feat style) - immediately trashed

But like I said anyway, for me it's the odd progression of things, down the ladder instead of up. It just seems wrong; if that hopefully is communicated in a way that makes my point clear.
    • Like x 4
  13. Juggalossus Well-Known Player

My suggestion:

Just add the STYLES to the STYLE vendor for MOV.

That way, the grind for the ARMOR is just for the ARMOR. A lot of people don't want to be stuck grinding 1 episode for multiple styles. Let us grind for the ARMOR, yes. But after we have our ARMOR, and we still want to get one of the other STYLES, let us pick those up in the STYLE vendor?

I think this is the easiest solution...
  14. BumblingB I got better.

In experience based games, you end up trying to get from A to B with diminishing returns as you start to go higher and higher to the cap. You usually don't have to be cap to run new content, but everything progresses your character up and up. Gear is more like accent to your character.

In this game, your gear sets your base strengths and stat points is like gear is in other games.

A player looks at the gear and sees the goal and will attempt to reach that goal within the time frame before the next set comes out. This is the problem. You give 3 steps of gear that now gives a new paradigm from before. You think the player has now options, when the player sees it as 3 gear sets to get in the same timeframe that they had originally for one. Then add on the fact once we hit the next set of gear, the trash drops are actually better, so we now have to replace it. So if a player is going for the best gear and barely achieves it, we get new escalator that mirrors the monthly content ones. Time invested are now lost.

I'm full aware that we don't need a full set of gear to achieve new content or even a set at all. (Dropped gear only would suffice.) But a player viewpoint is part of this disconnect. And there have been many instances in the past that what you intend and what the players interpret being completely different and changes had to be made to fix the problem.

Please understand, before T5, gear worked on a system that helps you in the next tier. That of course changed, but players views don't and we still think new content requires new gear to succeed. And in a way it shows with current system. Each DLC point of entry requires the previous DLC's gear to at least get into.

It really is an opposite view as what is intended.

--
    On a side question for you (the devs), is there no way to have content go back to the way it was, where there isn't a constant getting higher, but a tier was a tier and included the gear to help?
    • Like x 6
  15. MrMigraine Devoted Player

Wayyyyyy back during The Battle for Earth, we had FOUR sets of styles to collect ... and we didn't get any sort of fancy discount on the other three once we bought the first one.

And we liked it!

/oldmanvoiceoff
    • Like x 8
  16. Vagrant Committed Player

My biggest gripe with the rewards going forward is that it needs to be consistent. Ever since I have come back there have been so many changes and inconsistencies its incredibly confusing to new players and even veteran players.

We have systems like elite gear mods and elite sets but we don't have enough time to collect them to actually see their benefits. We have the scrap system from monthly content that has still not seen a revision to how content works now. We have not seen updates to the rare style vendor and instead have to rely on luck to complete those styles. Content past roughly T3 no longer has treasure chests to allow us to grind the 1000 chest feat, thus giving players that the chest feature has been dropped for whatever reason.

So many inconsistencies and dropped features give such a huge disconnect and uncertainty to new and old players alike. Moving forward if you TRULY want to evolve DC, stick with one system that is governed by what players want.

In my opinion the JQ style should DROP in content as WELL as sold in the vendor. This way players have two ways to obtain this set, then we have the Owlman gear which should be in vendor and works currently how it is.

OP collections and items honestly need such an overhaul its not even funny. At this point I would rather them be obtainable for a large mark sum than just pure luck. I could grind out 500 marks to obtain an OP item piece, I've yet to get lucky enough to be able to complete an OP item collection set let alone MAKE ENOUGH MONEY IN THIS BROKEN GAME ECONOMY to buy the missing collection items.
    • Like x 3
  17. StealthBlue Loyal Player

The only difference being, those were the only vendor sets for all of T4. Home turf and Hand of Fate didn't introduced new vendor sets. Also, I believe T5 didn't start for more than a year after the start of T4, so you had plenty of time to collect all four sets.
  18. Korlick Loyal Player

Discounts and low prize sounds good on paper. But in reality, youre still forcing (because theres also a feat) End-Game players to waste marks on just a style. Marks that we could be using to gear our second role or the OP collections.
    • Like x 2
  19. Goddesssilver Well-Known Player

Actually people were beating wave and nexus day one just a very small amount.
  20. DanXVII Committed Player

I'll take the second vendor set over the RNG any day, at least I know it'll be obtainable.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.