Buying styles on alts with replays

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Curse Bringer, Jul 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seth Grey New Player

Am I the only person who sees the value in acquiring gears to improve? It's as if the entire game is played solely for styles.
    We do duos/alerts/raids primarily because we want to be better, stronger...to level up as they call it. That's the whole addictive factor of the rpg elements of the game. All else comes secondary. If I make a few chars just so that I want to play with separate style or themes, how does this affect others? The operative word here is choice. You choose to use style unlock feature or you do not. It's as simple as that.
    • Like x 2
  2. Seth Grey New Player

Spoke my mind mate but no disrespect intended. You may leave if you choose to. :)
  3. Deepeess New Player

Still think all the styles we collected on our mains should be available when we are creating a new toon,
    Yea sure we can start with a 50pt feat style,but my bet is most people would rather customize the char instead
    of getting a 50pt feat.

Anyway mepps posted and said their intention is for us to get more style and evolve our look as we play,
    that its a important part of the game in their eyes, I somewhat I agree and would even add more to it,
    since not having the styles will lead us to farm for collections/briefings/investiagations and or running content to get it.

Feats you can get in 1 go, styles you can get in 1 go or never in some cases.
    • Like x 2
  4. VariableFire Loyal Player

On the one hand, it removes the impetus to re-run older content. On the other hand, you're usually overpowered and apparently some people take great offense to this.

Oh, and it might make new players angry when they see your low level alt with a T5 style they really want.
  5. Hero of Justice New Player

Well that depends. In a game like DCUO where you are your own hero/villain, the look of your character is essential, one of the most important parts of the game. Now of course on my main the leveling up or grind is something that I keep doing, but on alts that factor weakens considerably for most, and it usually goes down with each alt after that. Getting styles is a or even the primary reason for grinding alts for people that are big fans of character look (like me).

I disagree with you saying it's as simple as choice because truth be told, if this were in the game tomorrow I'd be giving my Lantern Scion of Ion in a heartbeat. But it wouldn't be good for the game because I wouldn't put the same amount of time or effort into it - I might keep leveling an alt or two like my Lantern to keep them viable in content I want to run with that power, but my time in the game would go down significantly since a major reason to grind would be removed. Enough people do that and the amount of people and time spent in-game goes down, which hurts the game's viability. The devs obviously need people to be playing as much or more as they are now, not less. I am not against this because it would hurt me, but because I think it would hurt the game.
    • Like x 1
  6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

It's a decent idea, but personally I think I'd prefer a style vendor that takes MoT for that kind of stuff, maybe with a feature that unlocks more styles as you progress up the tiers.

I love getting styles for my characters, but once you get one gear set at a particular tier, that's all the gear you need. It seems kind of wasteful to have to spend MoT on full blown gear when all you want is the style. Even with the feature coming in to League Halls where you can donate (or whatever the term they used, can't remember it right now) gear pieces for prestige, it still seems wasteful. Just bugs me for some reason.

A vendor that makes more styles available as you advance up the tiers, perhaps with a slightly reduced MoT cost because they are just style pieces, would be good enough for me.
  7. Minnion Devoted Player

What if... We were allowed access to all styles we have unlocked for our chosen alignment in character creation for alts?

This isn't about power or getting stats, this is about being able to customize the look of alts with less effort.
  8. Hero of Justice New Player

The other problem I see with this is from the devs' perspective, I believe Mepps has said that they believe getting styles and optimizing your character's looks should be an all-game experience or chase. I think it was in response to having more styles at character custimization, but it could easily be applied here.
  9. Curse Bringer Most Wanted

They had stated the same thing about skill points. then they gave us the option to unlock them on alts.
    • Like x 2
  10. Feenicks New Player

Actually they didn't say that. Way back when I was arguing against feat unlocks I used that line. Mepps' response was they never said that nor was it ever to be intended as so......or something to that affect.
  11. Curse Bringer Most Wanted

If it wasn't intended why is it in gameo_O You lost me on that one bro.
  12. Minnion Devoted Player

So what you're saying is that there are available styles that can't possibly be explained away by the whole Exobyte thing...

You realize that there are alot of "normal folk" looks that aren't available in character creation right?
    Also "Normal folk" in the DCU tend to range from security guards, to solders, to scientists, to amazons, to atlantians, and possibly even gorillas... (Come to think of it... Why don't we have a gorilla/ape man inspired skin?)

That said why not limit this to feat related styles then?
    • Like x 2
  13. Queen Leopard New Player

/Bump
    • Like x 1
  14. Feenicks New Player

There was much more detail in his respeonse. But I said that they said it would never happen. But Mepps said he never said that. And that they never said they would never implement the feat unlock.
  15. Curse Bringer Most Wanted

No i mean they stated that skill points are one of the things you should be doing to be improving your main character.
  16. Sabigya Steadfast Player

This might just kill grinding and crash the economy. I mean if one of my characters has the captain cold hood, I have no reason to buy it again. Styles prices will drop extremely fast.
    • Like x 1
  17. Feenicks New Player

I was just using that as an example.

My dissent goes to that I feel each alt should be a seperate individual, not an incarnation of one. It was my argument about feat unlocks and it's still my argument now.
  18. Feenicks New Player

It's not what I meant.

Anyways, doesn't matter. This argument can be used to support gear being account bound. One poster in this thread even liked that idea.

Then next inventory will be account bound. Then when your main makes lime soders then all your alts get it, too. And so on and so on......
  19. Minnion Devoted Player

That's fine...
    I kind of like that approach to, which brings me to my next point:

Sometimes you get stuck with styles that just don't fit your main characters concept at all, but might work great with the concept of a completely different character... Unfortunately as things are now you have to grind with that alt and hope the RNG is kind enough to drop that style for your alt too.
  20. Feenicks New Player

That's the nature of MMOs.

I get the whole grinding the alt thing. I really do. But I still did it. I do it now. The benefit of running my main is I now know where that style drops. Then it's off to grindland for me.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.