Buying styles on alts with replays

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Curse Bringer, Jul 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Feenicks New Player

I thought unlocking feats was a little much.

Step by step......
  2. Seth Grey New Player

With all due respect mate, if you're so against feat unlocks nobody would force you do use them. If doesn't give unfair advantages to players, it just makes their gaming experience more worthwhile. You may not use feat unlocks today but some day you WILL use em with one of your chars because you're just a wee bit away from the next sp. It doesn't make you a crook, it just means you're a player who wants to play and have fun. There's nothing wrong with it.

As a fellow costume lover (I keep track of your posts in the Costume thread) you must realise that having a superhero or supervillain is a LOT more than just the powers. The costumes are integral part of what they represent. I'm sure your bird based character has a back story too....well I have mine for several of my chars, I'd like them to look the part if I can, it's not harming anyone, it's not breaking the game....it certainly is not going to cause the end of the world. :)

I do agree with you that it's a slippery slope...but that's the nature of MMOs...you get updates, you get revamps, sometimes you love em and sometimes you don't. Just gotta accept that change is inevitable. :)
    • Like x 1
  3. Feenicks New Player

I just brought up feat unlocks for a reference. I "lost" that debate long ago and moved on. I have yet to unlock a feat and I will not, but that's on me. And I have not called for the removal of that feature.

Like I said I just brought it up for reference. Though Curse and I are good friends, my dissent to this idea is basically the same reasons I had for feat unlocks.

But in the end if this feature wins out I'll move on, but keep my eye out for the next step of said slippery slope. :)
  4. Ghostof91 New Player

Since they are styles it should require much more replays though.
  5. Seth Grey New Player

Yes but don't you think that it's a bit redundant to be against it? Compared to all the game-changing features that have taken place till date, a style unlock feature has absolutely no value to the player apart from the aesthetics. It gives players no unfair advantages, all it gives us is the satisfaction our avatars look exactly like we want them to look like.
    • Like x 3
  6. Feenicks New Player

It depends on how you look at it. Just like most origins of comic book heroes, they're style improved as they became better, gained more experiences.

A character fresh off the Brainiac ship is new, inexperienced, just learning his powers, his new abilities. He hasn't fully come into his own.

As he progresses so does his style. Feenicks wasn't a bird when he first started.

I liked that this game had that aspect. The Devs have in the past hinted that it was intended as such. This feature will remove that immersion aspect of this game.

Another thing it will remove is the "pride" of wearing certain styles you could only get in higher content.

This is why I say no. And I'm a huge fan of styles. :)
    • Like x 3
  7. Curse Bringer Most Wanted

At the same time though, this won't be intended for new players. it's for players who want an alt, know what they want them to look like and wants to level them looking like such. New players physically have to play the game like we all did to be able to use this feature.
    • Like x 2
  8. Psianide Active Player

As an altaholic, I support this idea 100%!

And as with the skillpoint purchasing, as long as you've had to gain the styles the "hard way" at least once, why would anyone object? The pessimist in me would say only those with the "I want to grind everything the hard way, every time, and so should you" mindset would object.
    • Like x 2
  9. winter13 New Player

Styles should not be purchasable with replay badges. Buying the feat is one thing , but being given the style itself is something else. Thereare people that will run instances oover and over to get a specific style on a toon. If they can get it on one, and give/collect the style on their alts, there would be no reason to rerun content. There are already enough complaints about people having nothing to do.

So my answer is an emphatic "no"
    • Like x 2
  10. Feenicks New Player

I'm one who believes each and every alt should be his own individual. It's one of the main reasons I was against feat unlocks and why I am against this.

A level 3 toon wearing avatar infiltrator? Really?
    • Like x 1
  11. Seth Grey New Player

And yet in essence their styles are the same. Superman with jeans is a fairly new concept, his iconic red symbol, red cape and blue overalls remain the same.

Just because your Feenicks wasn't a bird at the beginning doesn't give you any reason not to make a char that was a bird from the very beginning. It should not preclude others from doing the same. Some players have certain vision for their char, there's nothing wrong with that.

I am a HUGE fan of styles (as you may be aware...I admire other people's creations in those threads) and I also take pride at how my main chars look but best be aware that pride and elitism come hand in hand at times.

If I can 'earn' my piece with one char, I've earned it for another. No reason why my other char should be precluded from that style. It may be a different toon but in essence the player who has EARNED the style is the same. I will not preclude others from getting their hands on the styles they have earned in one way or another.

Since you're the one who has said it's how you look at it, then look at it this way:

You're playing a video game (Resident Evil 4 for example) where you have completed the game with normal or hard mode, now you get to replay with your special new unlocked costumes (the RCPD costume or the other stuff). Adds more to the replay value of the game in fact. :D
    • Like x 3
  12. Feenicks New Player

The difference between Superman and the characters in this game is he didn't originate from the Brainiac ship.

Remember that just before Brainiac came these guys were just ordinary folk.

Again, a lvl 3 toon wearing the avatar infiltrator style fresh off the ship? Really?
    • Like x 1
  13. Seth Grey New Player

We have plenty of gears for that. Moreover we have like what...4-5 more DLCS announced? HOP has three parts, WOTL has two more left, AF has probably two more left. Plenty more will continue to come our way.

I have geared up my HL DPS to T6, now I'm doing the same to my mental troll/dps. Then I'll go to my healer, then tank...then I'll go and do the same for my 10 other players because there are POWERS for me to try out and have fun with.

Having said that, I disagree with you. Replay factor will not be diminished. If anything else...it'll just encourage me to create more chars for certain themes (possibly pay for more char slots as I have for several) and play to my heart's content.

The thing is...whether people try out the shortcut or want to play in your way is THEIR choice. People having nothing to do is a baseless argument. You can either purchase skill points or you can do feats all over again. It's YOUR CHOICE. You can either purchase styles or you can acquire them in the loooooooong process. Once again it is YOUR CHOICE.
    • Like x 4
  14. Curse Bringer Most Wanted

Brainac tried to convert you into a full fledged robot servant. You broke free but your permanently scarred with brainiac tech.
    • Like x 1
  15. Caleus New Player

I like this, I have two secondary mains like most people, and I would like to have specific styles on certain characters tbh. And c'mon let's be real here, this wild be the fourth best money grab since Gold Ring(1st) Helm of OP(2nd) and Feat Buying(3rd) and I'm pretty sure some can agree. ;)
    • Like x 2
  16. Feenicks New Player

How abaout Time Traveller......Corrupted.....Heartshard. I could go on and on about styles that showed progression. This feature would remove that from the game. lvl 3 toons looking like they completed Paradox.
  17. Seth Grey New Player

You're concerned about that? Really? Then what's the point of gadgets chars getting to wear any style apart from tech styles? Why should magic chars get to wear a big S on their chest?

Let's go back to the mentor specific gears then when Superman mentors could not buy Batman gears or Batman mentored chars could not buy WW gears.

T6 gears are all amazon themed..what the heck will my tech char do with that? Your logic there is invalid sir. We should be able to choose what we want to look like provided we've earned it, by that I mean the player and not the char.

Mate, at the end of the day it's all about choices. You're the master of your own choice. If you don't want to use feat unlocks or style unlocks, then be my guest...but don't be that guy who stands in the way of others making their own choices.
    • Like x 3
  18. Curse Bringer Most Wanted

Then you know behind the lvl 3, there's a top tier player who has earned that style
    • Like x 5
  19. Caleus New Player

Let's be honest the "Fresh Level 3" is an invalid argument, they already earned the style on one character, and they paid, let me clarify PAID, to buy the style, muh like walking off the ship with 100+ SP, Styles provide no stats unlike SP. Also, who in their right mind would make ANOTHER seemingly pointless Alt that they're gonna waste money in and probably never use? Sure there are few players who have many alts like Owl, but the casual player won't be making many alts if he can pay to switch powers.

Just saiyan'.
    • Like x 1
  20. Feenicks New Player

My logic is sound here. We are just disagreeing. And this feature would be taking away a big thing in this game. The styles you could only get from progressing.

I'm sorry. This is a thing for me. It's the same reason I was against the idea of feat unlocking. And why I will be against gear being account bound.......which will be the next logical request if this feature passes muster.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.