The Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Free2BeMe, Jul 21, 2014.

1. willflynne 10000 Post Club

2. Yui Loyal Player

You know, it's sad to say that, in my opinion, Anti-Magic Academy's art style and animation is comparable to Chivarly and Asterisk, maybe even slightly better, yet it doesn't perform well when it comes to plot. Although the plot was kinda interesting, something about it was not very appealing to me. I can't tell what the Anime is trying to do. Is it trying to be funny? Is it trying to be a fan-service type of show? Is it trying to be serious? Some Anime managed to pull off all three of these very well, but in my opinion, Anti-Magic isn't doing a very good job so far. Well, this is just the first episode so I'll give it a chance to prove itself.
  3. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Your comments seem to fall pretty close to what the reviewers were saying about the tone of the show being all over the place a bit. It hasn't shown up on Hulu yet so I can't give a decent opinion yet, but there's a part of me wondering (or worried, dunno which) if it'll be similar to when I tried watching The Comic Artist and His Assistants: stopped watching after the first attempt at humor. I don't think I even made it ten minutes into that show. :confused:

I won't deny that Chivalry is kind of checking off the boxes on the checklist for that type of show, but for lack of a better term, it seems to have some heart to it, and that can go a long way towards me giving a show a chance. It is only one episode in so far, so that may change, but I think there's a decent chance it'll end up being at least a decent show.
  4. Bendmetal Dedicated Player

For antimagic they're planning to adapt 9 volumes. For an anime (even 2 cour) that's a bit much. In fact they're trying to cram all of volume 1 into 2 episodes so it is not totally unexpected, and if you want the premise of the story...it is dark. They were trading organs of various peoples including kids in that scene where Ouka became angry.
  5. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Ok, I swear I'm not obsessed with the show, but dang it all news about Asterisk War keeps popping up that throws me for a loop. :D The latest? Funimation is going to be streaming it along with Aniplex. :confused:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-10-10/funimation-to-stream-the-asterisk-war-anime/.94029

I even checked their respective websites, it's listed in both places as a show being streamed. It's the first time I've seen that happen with one of the new shows for a season, or at least the first time I noticed it happening. And with Funimation putting a lot of their shows on Hulu as well, I think my chances for seeing it may have just increased.
  6. Yui Loyal Player

7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Bullet point post, for lack of a better term.
    • Blood Blockade Battlefront: So. Worth. The. Wait. That was an astounding final episode. Definitely gonna be buying the show when it releases, and I hope there's more to come.
    • The Asterisk War: Finally watched the first episode, and while gorgeously animated I did find myself distracted by two things. First, hearing sound effects I could recognize from both Star Wars and other anime (Freezing and BBB) was a distraction (not a huge one, but enough). Second, while the animation was gorgeous, it was a bit too busy at times, almost as if it was done to show off the animation more than anything. Otherwise a decent show, and I'll give it a shot even with...
    • Chivalry of a Failed Knight: ...pulling me in more with the story in the second episode. While a little heavy handed, the growing relationship between the male and female leads is decently grounded and growing from a good base. Big complaint? They did NOT need to go that route with the sister. Completely unnecessary.
    • One Punch Man: They kept the ball rolling, and build the anticipation on the fights perfectly. Great comedic timing, and even with some of the gore it's so much fun to watch.
    • Ben-To: Just started watching it, maybe three episodes in. Fun so far. I'm amused by the first person perspectives of the male lead when his eyes start wandering when talking to the ladies, and the fights have been pretty visceral and fun to watch.
    Now I just need to finish up season one of Seraph of the End and dive into the second season.
  8. willflynne 10000 Post Club

It's odd, hearing some of the disappointment with season 2 has me hesitant to try season one, and I've heard a lot of good things about season one. Maybe I don't want to set myself up for disappointment, because I do tend to be a completionist of sorts, and if there's multiple seasons of something I like I want to see them all.

Probably what's kept me going through the various Monogatari series so far.
  9. Nek0 Rey New Player

I just started Gangsta., and it is pretty good so far. I'm only 3 in, but I already wish it wasn't a 12 episode one.

I'm abnout to start prison school, god eater, and claymore. Are those worth my time at all?
  10. Yui Loyal Player

Oh, you heard right. Season 2 wasn't that great. Season 1 was better. Something wrong went with season 2. They definitely could have done better than how they did. I mean it's still good, but the quality is not quite what I expected it to be.

I'd still recommend that you watch it though. Just to let you know, on MAL, Tokyo Ghoul has a rating of 8.11 (rated by about 220 000 users) and Tokyo Ghoul Root A has a rating of 7.58 (rated by about 132 000 users). On ANN, the ratings that most people gave them were really good, and they both have the highest amount of votes on the "Very good" rating.
  11. willflynne 10000 Post Club

On an anime-related note, after checking the website I found out that voice actress Trina Nishimura is going to be appearing and speaking at a local Comic Con this weekend (done a lot of work with Funimation, big credit on the con site is her role in Attack on Titan).

The anime fan and voice acting geek in me is incredibly tempted to go, and the local con has grown quite a bit over the past couple of years so even if I miss the panel there's a better-than-decent chance it'll still be a good show.

However, I'm also just starting to get over a cold, and I really don't want to be in the position of getting con crud for going, or worse being the one that passes it around for not being fully recovered from my own cold. LOL

Decisions, decisions...
  12. DCUO Post Loyal Player

Its a shame the studio for Gangsta went bankrupt. Posted the news 2 pages back.

Are you looking for anime in general or this year?
  13. majin goku Level 30

boku no pico
  14. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Wear one of those surgical masks
  15. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Nah, don't think I could come up with a decent cosplay in such a short time to work with that anyway. LOL
  16. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Wasn't thinking of it being a cosplay, you might even be the first of a new wave to counter ConCrud
  17. Bendmetal Dedicated Player

Oi
    Leave.
  18. Nek0 Rey New Player

I'm looking for more recent stuff if possible, but I don't really care.

I can't believe they went under, that show is so good. I really hope someone can pick it up.
  19. DCUO Post Loyal Player

• Psycho Pass season 1 & 2.
    • Noragami season 1, season 2 just started.
    • Blood Blockade Battlefront
    • Is It Wrong To Pick Up A Girl In A Dungeon
    • Gate: Jieitai Kanochi nite, Kaku Tatakaeri
    • Overlord
    • No Game No Life
    • Seraph of the End season 1, season 2 beginning soon.
    • Himouto! Umaru-chan
    That's what I would recommend. The posters in this thread will chime in for other recommendations. Himouto might not be your thing, I watch it with my gf.
    • Like x 1
  20. Yui Loyal Player

Actually, even if Manglobe didn't go down, it will take awhile before we see a season 2 for Gangsta since the manga is close to where the Anime ended. It would take at least 1 or 2 years from now before they make season 2.
    • Like x 1