The Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Free2BeMe, Jul 21, 2014.

1. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Thinking a little more, it probably works better for Monster Musume because most of it gets used as set-ups for jokes and comedic situations (the exception I think being the end title shot showing the different types of monster girls in a particular species). And from what I've seen so far they do take full advantage of the established rules and world for some good comedy.

So does that mean the world building in Charlotte was lacking, or does using the world you build in more dramatic shows mean a different set of rules in how you use it? Or was it all just a classic case of having a lot of story to fit into a short span of time?
  2. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Okay, getting away from the Charlotte talk a bit, I noticed there were two trailers on Hulu for One-Punch Man, so I watched them.

:D

I really hope it lives up to the potential.

As for Asterisk War, I may be flip-flopping on it again. I read through the spotlight/preview on ANN and something caught my attention. Seems as though some of the students get titles of a sort, such as "Witch of the Resplendent Flames." I don't really mind it, as that was part and parcel of the Freezing series (The Untouchable Queen, The Angel of Binding, The Executor of Ingenious Schemes, etc).

Unfortunately it's something that comes across as running the risk of taking itself too seriously, kind of like what happened with Absolute Duo (Blaze, Irregular, Exception, etc). I guess it'll still be a wait-and-see kind of thing, but I'd be a liar if I said it wasn't making me a little wary of what's to come.
  3. Leafy Committed Player

what about the upcoming second season of K? anyone else looking forward to that?
    • Like x 1
  4. Lord Jareth Steadfast Player

i know it's not new but one of the best animes ever Yu Yu Hakusho
    • Like x 2
  5. Yui Loyal Player

I am, but I need to see the movie first before starting to watch it when it airs.
  6. Leafy Committed Player

movie wasn't to bad I liked it.
  7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Saw plenty of ads for the first season while watching other anime on Hulu (which also apparently has the movie available for watching before the next season) but like other shows there wasn't quite enough to pull me into watching.

That reminds me, though, I wanted to finish up the first season of Seraph of the End before the new one begins.
  8. Leafy Committed Player

I have to finish that up as well
  9. ShadowTheHunter Well-Known Player

HUNTER X HUNTER 2011 is an ABSOLUTE MUST-WATCH! (Please don't be fooled, this is NOT a children's show, its probably the greatest shounen...ever)

Steins;Gate is another all time favorite of mine. I haven't found anything similar.

Other animes that I think are among the best:
    Death Note, Log Horizon, Shiki, Angel Beats!, Clannad, Kingdom, Code Geass

All of these are amazing.
  10. ShadowTheHunter Well-Known Player

Togashi, the same guy behind this series is the genius behind the masterpiece that is Hunter X Hunter.
  11. Yui Loyal Player

OMG!!!

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-10-04/sword-art-online-anime-film-project-revealed/.93768

AND

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...nfinite-burst-anime-promo-video-posted/.93771

Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...e-new-accel-world-infinite-burst-anime/.93767

These are, like, two of my favorite Anime series ever. I'm so excited for these to come out. Can't wait.

I hope that Accel World: Infinite Burst is going to be a TV Anime, but a movie is good too.
    • Like x 1
  12. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Well, looks like my decision about Asterisk War has been made for me, no sign of it yet on Hulu. So unless it's on delay like some series, I'm not gonna see it. LOL

Unfortunately among the two "school for magic users in fights" series that came out this season (Asterisk War and Chivalry of a Failed Knight), the reviews I've seen so far have Asterisk War as the better of the two, and right now only Chivalry is available to me. :confused:

Oh well, One-Punch Man lived up to the trailers. I think I was hooked on the show with Saitama's encounter with the brothers. :D
  13. Yui Loyal Player

I did a quick search and it seems that Asterisk War will only be streaming exclusively on Crunchyroll.
    Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/pre...ries-the-asterisk-war-this-fall-season/.93387

Also, it seems that Daisuki will also be streaming Asterisk War, but it doesn't have any episodes up on Daisuki yet. Although, it does have its own page on there.
  14. Bendmetal Dedicated Player

No index III announcement :( . We index fans even got a dogeza bow from the editor of raildex
  15. Sabigya Steadfast Player

I read the manga for Failed Knight then watched Asterisk War first.
    My thought process was this "Wait have I already not seen this?"

From what I have seen they both share a lot of similar qualities.
    [Spoilers]
    • MC is calm-headed and is a swordsmen and came to the school with a singular purpose.
    • The plot begins with the MC accidentally running to the female protag while changing and both female protag refuse to believe in the misunderstanding challenging the MC to a duel and losing while using their most powerful Fire move.
    • Both female protag are "princesses" with red hair, use a sword and have an affinity of Fire Magic.
    • Both female protag are considered to be one of the best in the school.
    • Male protag is looked down upon but in reality is incredibly strong.
    • Female protags are textbook Tsunderes.
    • Both schools have this "major" battle event in school that the MC is going to participate in.
    I like Chivalry better in terms of characters but Asterisk seems better for the story.
  16. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Rassum frassum exclusive deals.....o_O A little disappointing, most of the big shows in the past couple seasons from Aniplex have been Hulu simulcasts (Charlotte, Plastic Memories, Saekano, Irregular at Magic High School, Your Lie in April). Appreciate the info, though, thanks.

Yeah, a lot of comments about the similarities between the shows were thrown out there in the episode one reviews of Asterisk War and Chivalry on ANN's preview page, especially since the shows premiered within a day of one another.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/preview-guide/2015/fall/the-asterisk-war/.93508

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/preview-guide/2015/fall/chivalry-of-a-failed-knight/.93759

Chivalry definitely got the lower marks of the two, but I gave it a shot this evening and while I can see where the criticisms came from, I've seen worse. LOL If they can keep developing the main characters decently I'll probably stick with it.
  17. Yui Loyal Player

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ason-3-yet-for-a-certain-magical-index/.93770

I just found out that Heavy Object, which is an Anime that just came out, and A Certain Magical Index have the same creator.

According to the comments on that article, they're probably going to announce Index III after Heavy Object's final episode. I also believe that it might just happen. Well, hopefully it does because I'm also a big fan of A Certain Magical Index.

Also, when he said "there is no season 3 yet for Index", it might mean that they are planning on producing it, but nothing's official yet, so they can't announce anything for now.
  18. Leafy Committed Player

damn I'm looking forward to this!
  19. Yui Loyal Player

So....I just watched Asterisk War and Chivalry of a Failed Knight. Like what some of you have said, they're definitely somewhat similar to each other. You can read some of the similarities in Sabigya's comment above. Anyway, having read their plot summary, I kind of knew what to expect before I saw both of them since I've seen dozens of Anime with similar plot to them. However, even though I've seen similar Anime to them before, in my opinion, these shows have potential. Maybe that's just me though since I'm a sucker for magic Anime (excluding the ones with cute little magical girls).

Both shows have excellent animation and art style, however, I think Asterisk War excels a little bit than Chivalry of a Failed Knight. Plotwise, both these shows have a really good plots, but I'm gonna have to say that Chivalry of a Failed Knight is a little bit better in this category. Hopefully, the rest of the rest of the episodes on both series are going to be amazing.

As for the rest of the new Anime that I've seen:

Noragami Aragoto:
    Being a sequel of Noragami that aired awhile back, which I liked, I was excited to see this. When I saw the first episode, I can already tell that things are going to be interesting. We'll get to explore more of what happened between Bishamon and Yato in the past, which led to Bishamon wanting to kill Yato. I think this season is going to be darker than its prequel. I'm looking forward to future episodes.

Heavy Object:
    When this was announced, I was reluctant to put it on my "watch list" because I don't really watch Mecha Anime. However, it was the art style and animation that made put it in there. Note that this is the first Mecha Anime I've seen since I last saw Gundam or Zoids when I was a kid, so this might affect what I think of the series. Anyway, when I saw the first episode, it didn't really impress me that much. Although, this is just the first episode, so I'm still going to give it a few more episodes before deciding to drop it. I think the animation and art style is really good, and like I said above, I wouldn't have seen this if not for these two.
  20. Bendmetal Dedicated Player

Ones a harem (Gakusen) while the other is not (Rakudai).
    Rakudai is more bloody and cruel than Gakusen.
    The mc's are quite different. Ikki had a bad childhood, Ayato did not. Ikki isn't talented, Ayato is. Their powers are also different. Also people acknowledge Ayato's strength, even after witnessing Ikki's strength a lot of people still look down on him.
    Won't deny that both Stella and Julius are princesses, but they both have different colour hair (red and pink). Their flame powers are also the same and they are considered one of the best but they are definitely not tsunderes. They both melt out of that cold shell and become deredere