The Anime Thread

Discussion in 'Joker’s Funhouse (Off Topic)' started by Free2BeMe, Jul 21, 2014.

1. willflynne 10000 Post Club

• Like x 2
  2. Leafy Committed Player

3. Yui Loyal Player

So, I just saw this trailer on ANN:

The anime is called "Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash (Hai to Gensou no Grimgar).

Synopsis:
    Source: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...h-light-novels-get-tv-anime-in-january/.94285

The art style and animation are pretty decent. They feel refreshing. Grimgar is similar to SAO (without the romance part) and Log Horizon in terms of plot. Not to mention that it's produced by A-1 Pictures, which is a studio known for producing many good anime. I'm definitely going to give it a try.
    • Like x 2
  4. Leafy Committed Player

sounds interesting.
  5. Yui Loyal Player

6. willflynne 10000 Post Club

My first thought was to reply with some sort of exaggerated, flabbergasted response at not seeing that series, but then I realized you could turn it around on me in an instant for not seeing any of the Sword Art Online shows. :D

That aside, it's worth seeing if for no other reason than to see the basis that almost all the harem anime shows that came after Tenchi are working from. :)
  7. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Finished up Ben-To today, and I really liked it. Lots of great humor, such as most anything related to the force of nature that is Shiraume and Oshiroi's writing and her methods of inspiration. The fights remained solid throughout the show, and the buildup to and execution of the big fight in the last episode was excellent.

Three things kind of jumped out at me, two artistic choices and one more personal. The artistic ones were wondering if Oshiroi's writing was her way of dealing with her friend Shiraume's behavior (one episode in particular kind of highlights that) and the character design of the last "villain" of the show, the Club of Heracles (makes me wonder if his name might be Ash or something lol).

The personal one came to me from the big fight in the last episode. You see these exhilarated smiles popping up on all the wolves, and it just reminded me of the end result of an acting exercise from college. The exercise started with one person from the class alone against the rest, and that person could get people on their team by picking someone up off the ground. The rest of the class would run from one side of the room to the other on a code word, and that's when the solo starting person would have their chance to grab someone and get them on their team.

Things ended up getting a little intense by the end. :D When the teacher called an end to the game, it was me against the rest of the class. While waiting for the code word to make a run I kept looking for a way through, and the faces of all the rest of the class had that same exhilarated "ok, let's go!" look that I'm sure was on my face as well. Funny thing was that even though I was facing the rest of the class and all the guys had moved to the front to try and grab me right away, I remember being absolutely sure I could make it through one more time. LOL

So while it wasn't quite a knock-down, drag-out brawl for me, I could appreciate that feeling of competition in that last episode.

Ah well, enough rambling. Accept the slightly ludicrous premise and it's a show worth watching. I'd recommend it. :)
  8. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

You just described the (now banned) game of 'Bull Rush' (as 'unsafe' as it was considered outside on a grass field, shudder to think about it being played inside, unless it was in a gym with all the equipment moved out of the way)
  9. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Our teacher called it Bulldog, and we HAD to play it inside. Michigan's Upper Peninsula isn't known for being warm to begin with, and it was a winter semester class. Odd exercise for an acting class now that I really think about it, but whatever, I had fun. :D
  10. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Was your teacher British? :D

That 'exercise' is just as much of a group bonding exercise as standing on a desk and trusting the others to catch you when you fall backwards (and way safer :p)
  11. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Well, My Love Story finished up for me this evening. Probably one of the most endearing and adorable romantic comedy shows I've seen in a while. Well worth the time to watch.

Next week looks to be the finales for Monster Musume and Umaru-chan for me, and I hope they keep up the humor. For the most part I've found Umaru-chan to be cute but there were a couple of good laugh out loud moments for me in episode 11. And Monster Musume's penultimate episode cranked the weirdness back up with Kimihito going on dates with the girls from MON (Zombina's method of teasing Kimihito is a sight to behold LOL).

Beyond that, I'm two episodes in to Asterisk War and three into Chivalry, and while Asterisk has had a couple of things pop up that might be interesting, I'm still finding Chivalry to be more engaging. From the streaming review blurb on ANN Asterisk might have more of a hook show up in episode 3, but I'm going to be waiting on that for a bit. LOL

And to answer your question DarkVisor, no she wasn't British, just an enthusiastic college professor who was prone to thinking outside the box every so often. Can't really say much about her that's bad, though. Thanks to her directing a certain Scottish play by Shakespeare, I got to hack at someone with a broadsword as part of the show. :D
  12. DarkVisor 15000 Post Club

Didn't mean it in a negative way, just the activity and name seemed to me more of a current Commonwealth sort of thing (going by your description, she probably did a little looking around for activities for her classes and came across this one :D)
  13. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

Been a fan as well but the last season was too fast paced and lacking

On a side note, by chance, has anyone seen any Sailor Senshi inspired leagues? I ask because a friend and I created another toon and made Sailor V and Sailor Saturn got her up to cr 113 but my friend wants to join a Sailor Senshi league
  14. Bendmetal Dedicated Player

I have read the novel.
    It's just hardship, more hardship and even more hardship. The struggle the mc's face is real
    • Like x 1
  15. Bendmetal Dedicated Player

I had a feeling it was the progenitor of harems, I will watch tenchi and lay witness to the first harem series in existence.
  16. willflynne 10000 Post Club

There may be earlier shows that I'm not aware of, but even if it's not the actual progenitor of harem animes it's fair to say that the various Tenchi series laid the groundwork for all the other harem shows that followed.
  17. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Which one? The most recent that I know of are the War on Geminar series (featuring Tenchi's little brother Kenchi) and the micro series-style show that was mentioned in the article. Before that, there was the seven episode Ryo Ohki series that introduced Noike and the GPX series that starred Seina Yamada and featured appearances by the Tenchi cast in a couple episodes.

I'm sorry, you got me going on Tenchi and I just couldn't stop. LOL

As for the leagues, I can't say I've seen anything on the USPC side, but given the number of anime references that pop up in character names I'd be surprised if there wasn't a Sailor Senshi league somewhere.
    • Like x 1
  18. aurorabenz07 Loyal Player

I saw all those series. I actually meant the 3rd season of the Ryo Ohki series. That was a major letdown in my opinion. I actually got the complete collection but if you saw the first 2 seasons and continued with the 3rd. It would leave you scratching your head, lol.
  19. willflynne 10000 Post Club

Yeah, I know what you mean. You get some hints of further developments in GPX and War on Geminar, but there's still some unknowns. Also, Ai! Tenchi Muyo didn't get simulcast in the US (as far as I know of) so I don't know what might have happened in that show.

After all this time, though, I'm wondering how (if at all) they can pull off some kind of resolution that satisfies the greatest number of fans. Not hard to imagine some fans still firmly entrenched in particular camps for who Tenchi should end up with, never mind all the political stuff with Jurai.
  20. willflynne 10000 Post Club

• Like x 1