What DC Characters Can't Be Built In DCUO?

Discussion in 'Gotham City (General Gameplay)' started by Olovan, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Helios The Eternal Flame Dedicated Player

I see many people mentioning Red Tornado, when in actuality, many if not most of his powers are in the flight movement tree. The problem is while the Iconic powers and Movement Tree powers are nice, they currently are designed to supplement the main powers. If the Devs did not want create so many different power sets, they should revamp the Iconic Powers and Movement Tree powers to allow us to build our toons the way we like. At this time, it would be nearly impossible to use a purely iconic power set or movement mode powerset to progress through high end T5 content because of the lack of true buffs and pi's. Allowing the Iconics and movent mode powers to function like the main power sets would open the game up more. Then, I believe almost every toon could be truly unique.
    • Like x 1
  2. Hallows Eve New Player

It could be easily pulled off. It would make for a good tanking powerset and they could use some of the animations from clayface.
  3. SuperiorMouse New Player

none of red tornado's powers are in the movement tree. none.

have you played with those powers? there isn't a single tornado or vortex that comes from your hand.

this is true. if movement mode powers were re-designed for added functionality, many more characters would be possible. existing iconics wouldn't really help but a wider variety of iconics would.

this is just 100% incorrect. morphing limbs are not possible due to technology limitations vs platform restrictions.
  4. Helios The Eternal Flame Dedicated Player

5. Wilder Midnight New Player

One of the first things that puzzled me was the lack of any kind of physical powerset. I kind of get why now but it still doesn't make that much sense if a DC Comics fan comes across the game, gets excited to try it out and discovers that selecting Superman as your inspiration grants you ice powers, picking to model yourself after the Flash gives your fire and so on.

I would imagine this as a tank class powerset with two trees, one being Superman/Captain Marvel type physical buffs, protections and damage enhancers with the second being more a weapons master typer Deathstroke thing with regenerative powers, speed enhancing abilities and so on.

There are a few powers we dont have covered... alchemy and matter manipulation like Firestorm and Element Lad, precognitive abilites like Dreamgirl and the ability to detach your limbs and use them as weapons like Arm fall Off boy and the Separating Man.
    • Like x 4
  6. Wilder Midnight New Player

And I would LOVE to have red Tornado as a legends character.
  7. SuperiorMouse New Player

tbh, i doubt that very much. i feel like the dev team does make a strong effort to portray the iconic characters as closely as possible. i have no doubt that there would be giant tornados and hand funnels and vortexes etc. if they added Red Tornado to the game.

the movement powers offer you an option to fly in circles with a ring of wind, a ring of wind around you while you raise your hands, and a twirl that pulls opponents in. there is nothing even remotely "WIND" in there. and that's just issues with concept. technically speaking, the powers don't offer 50%s or PIs. and the powers themselves are heavy on power consumption. they are not balanced or designed to replace a powerset. they're only there to supplement and add to a loadout.

people suggesting that players use movement mode powers as replacements to powersets, are just repeating what they've heard others saying, haven't got experience using those powers themselves, are generally not skilled players and certainly not competitive players.

unfortunately, this game is designed to only support specific optimal builds. i don't know why they bother creating 24 powers in a powerset if they only design 6 of them to actually be usable.
    • Like x 1
  8. Lynx Committed Player

And despite how badly everyone seems to want a 'physical' power set, nobody can come up with a good pair of ability trees for it that wouldnt be bland.

You can spec into super strength to lift buses, you can use brawling for a physically powerful looking attack animation, you can use neovenom boost to increase your physical damage, and some of the nature shapeshifting abilities I listed for similar purposes. If you cant come up with a proper 'super strong' character with all of that at your fingertips, it's really your own shortcoming.
    • Like x 3
  9. Theotormon New Player

I completely agree that we need a physical power-set. I tried to play a Captain Marvel type character with electricity and it just doesn't cut it. Captain Marvel is a flying bullet-proof strong man - NOT LIGHTNING LAD! I currently use Earth which emulates some of Cap's strength, but I'm not entirely satisfied with that because Captain Marvel (Shazam) doesn't have Earth powers. And let's not forget: both Superman and Captain Marvel have SUPER-SPEED as well as super-strength.

Developers, if you are reading this, I realize that the game can't be exactly like the comics. But we are talking about one of the most basic superhero archetypes here: FLYING. BULLET-PROOF. STRONGMAN. And it's not something your game does very well. Surely, this is not an insoluble problem?
    • Like x 2
  10. Ace1 Dedicated Player

Welcome to the bump club.
    • Like x 2
  11. Zeusgod28 New Player

I really want to make a character like Black Mask, but the problem is that you can have brawling as a weapon and one of the powers you can switch to dual pistols like the Joker, or Huntress in Legends. Black Mask is one of my favorite Super Villians but since i am one of the rare they just ignore it. What I could do to be like Black Mask is have Gadgets as the power then use the back ups that you get from the base. But Black Mask also uses Guns as his weapons and you cant have a power that can switch to dual pistols.
  12. Toshknight Loyal Player

id have to say..... in the iconics tree and with other abilitys... every powerset is phsyically strong.. you can pick up cars. and big objects. you can take a beating.... that seems physical to me... physical powerset seems more of a secondary powerset.. or hmm tank
  13. SpaceGhost Active Player

If we had the option to have our powers come from our weapons then my main would be almost perfect. My main is Space Ghost and he is mental. Those powers coming from his blasters instead of his face would fit him perfectly. I may be a bit off topic and apologize if I am. I just think it would be cool to see. Imagine an electric toon with all their powers coming from their staff? Be neat to see.
  14. Ace1 Dedicated Player

Back before beta I remember you could choose where your powers came from IE Head, hands, weapon or chest.
  15. Wilder Midnight New Player

matter eater lad.
  16. shaun10656 New Player

i really don't like the fact that u can copy charatcers in the first place cause the dc games motto is "the next legend is you" not a hero or villain that is already a legend thought I would just put my 2 cents in
  17. Poo New Player

"Physical" isn't really a powerset to me. Most hero's/villains in the comics have superstrength. It's simply not interesting enough to to make a powerset out of.
  18. SpaceGhost Active Player

Oh really? I didn't know that. I started playing bout a month after the game came out. That's interesting. Wonder why it didn't make it past beta?
  19. Spytle Executive Creative Director

Plastic Man and Giganta are really hard for us to pull off with our tech. Giganta is in as an NPC, but she would never work as a legend without feeling "meh."
    • Like x 4
  20. Ace1 Dedicated Player

Is it possible to upgrade your tech in the future? You know after PS4.