Sony Online Entertainment Becomes Daybreak Game Company

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Dexella, Feb 2, 2015.

1. Fendy Member

Landmark and Next are our babies and our priorities. No surprise there. All the other games are just funding sources for the babies.
    • Like Like x 2
  2. PsYcHoKiLLaZ New Member

So SOE/Daybreak when is Planetside 2 & EverQuest Next going to be released on PlayStation 4? I'm so pumped especially for EQ Next! Please give me some information?!.. Like what year & quarter will it be released? Late 2015 or 2016 etc...
    I played EverQuest Online Adventures Frontiers on PlayStation 2 for 9+ years & was so sad when they pulled the plug! In fact now that there is new ownership is there any chance for EQOA Frontiers to be re-released on PS3 & PS4? That would be amazing!

I'm happy for Xbox fans that some SOE/Daybreak games will come to Xbox One owners, but Daybreak please do not penalize PS4 players since PlayStation allows PC/PS3/PS4 gamers to game on the same servers like in Final Fantasy14 A Realm Reborn, for example. I know Xbox's policy is to not allow this. That is why FF14 ARR has not released on Xbox.
    Also since the Xbox One cannot run games as well as the PS4, (even many 3rd party games have been at a much lower resolution on the Xbox One vs the PS4 & 1st party games there is an even bigger difference) so please do not "dumb down" any games graphics or resolutions for PS4 just to help it run on Xbox One too.
  3. Grumbles Community Council

Planetside 2 on PS/4 is in beta testing now. (You can register for a beta test invite if you haven't already done so.) It's looking like it may be released there soon.

As for EQ/Next, they don't even know when it will be ready for testing, let alone release, on the PC yet. PS/4 has always been part of the plan, but also has always been "some time after PC release". So it will likely be months, and more likely years, yet.
  4. ajhsdjvkjbndfsv New Member

So, does this mean Free Realms gets another chance?
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Kilathian New Member

Sorry all players Of this game and such, I am just worried :( and Afraid of this since I have been around since 2001 for Everquest, I am worried for the CEO Smed and all of the Dev and all of the other Employees. and Game Masters and the Guides too.
  6. Fendy Member

Don't worry about guides. They are volunteers who work for free. If EQ does sunset, they don't actually lose a paying job. :)
  7. Kilathian New Member

Heh I know that :) I was worrying about Smed heh
  8. Redlance New Member

I am going to guess you walked into work unaware of the "sudden" aquisition of SoE. I KNOW how Sony has treated it's employees in the past. I knew a couple of GMs when I was in the guide program and most were terminated end of 2003ish with Sony stating losses in Sony Pictures, in a year where SPIDERMAN came out. several months later they hired GMs again, in India. Now, I do not know if this staffer is San Diego based or in India but I do know Sonys record of blindsiding it's employees. Maybe this new entity will be kinder and gentler. But, takeovers, especially unfriendly ones, seldom bode well for it's staff. Ask Verant interactive!
  9. Shailas New Member

Nothing will get another chance. We'll be lucky to hold onto what we have, and things will only get worse with time.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Gigaas New Member

As I had stated earlier in this thread, the process of what an investment firm does is happening. I give it a Month or two before they announce closures of servers, possibly DC Universe, and where they scrap EQ Next. They are not going to make games for consoles, unless its a CONSOLE only game. You will not see EQ1 or EQ2 expand as they have before, its just the sad fact of where things are.
  11. Zergy New Member

Dexella. are you still with up?

http://www.vg247.com/2015/02/11/everquest-h1z1-studio-layoffs/

Seams to have swiftly gone from "business as usual" to clean house and spin a profit. I cant call mass firings including the director of development "business as usual.

"Daybreak Game Company, the studio formerly known as Sony Online Entertainmentand developer of the EverQuest franchise and H1Z1, has suffered a round of layoffs which includes David Georgeson, SOE’s director of development."
  12. Dexella Community Relations

Yes, I'm still here. I'll keep answering questions if/where I'm able to do so.
  13. Yourname942 New Member

With the acquisition of the company (formally known as SOE) is the business plan for Everquest Next and Everquest Next Landmark going to remain the same, or will it change? Are these games going to remain free to play? Thank you. Also any information on who the new director of development will be? I'm sure its still a bit chaotic right now for this studio.
  14. eqgamer New Member

How long will servers be down

Soulbane - Emarr
  15. eqgamer New Member

so glad I cancelled all 6 of my accounts, few weeks now
  16. Shailas New Member

It's good that Dexella is still around, but sad that good people like Brasse are gone for good.
  17. Debb1 New Member

I have not signed into LM in the last 3 days and am just seeing this layoff . Who all got layed off and wth is Daybreak thinking getting rid of Dave. Dave was the heart and the soul of LM, he was the personality we all loved to see, simply because he excited us, pushed us, endeavored to give us what we wanted. Daybreak, YOU are so wrong in this and Brasse OMG, I am heartbroken.I wish you all the best in your future.
    Sorry but for me Daybreak has become the F bomb to me,I don't want to use that word anymore. I can't
    say yet I will leave eq2 and LM or even EQN if or when it comes out just yet. I am mad as hell and unhappy so I will try to cool off before I make any rash decisions but if I let my heart take over right now I would dump all these games. MONEY is NOT everything.
  18. Peacce New Member

New and exciting developments?
    Have the games and the players at the heart and soul of our organization?
    All games will continue on their current path of development....? Yet the head of development is fired ?
    You apparently didn't even have enough devs to devote the time needed to 'fix' player dungeons,
    How can you keep current development up when you close two sites down RIGHT after having acquired them.
    How is this any kind of commitment to the players, or even to making sure the game stays viable to market to new players.
    How much more are you guys going to break/ nerf/take away, ruin? Including the people that work for you.
    Too many people were laid off earlier with Sony's multipul, massive lay offs.
    Try advertising the game, and listening instead of over kill and wrecking.
    Try to not be like the preverbial corporate raiders who cut and lay off all sections of their buisneses, pleasing their stock holders temporarily , before there is nothing left. I've seen the process too many times in the past, and needless to say, as seen from the earlier posts, the actions have angered and caused fear for the games amoung a lot of your players, who are your customers.
  19. Galaxy Erza New Member

Being a major fan of some of the games you have shut down (ex. Free Realms) I noticed that in this article you mentioned "new resources". When Free Realms was shut down I believe it was stated that it was shut down for lack of resources. Does this mean that there is a possibility Free Realms or other games that have been shut down may return?
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Fendy Member

From what I understand 40 million dollars was invested into the creation and running of Free Realms and the game never recouped that investment. The resources that Free Realms didn't have was enough paying customers to justify throwing money down a well.