Will Esports flop like UES did?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Obscura, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Hael

CS DOES have a higher pedigree of skill. CS and Quake are basically the highest tier of "raw skill versus randomness/luck" in the FPS genre. There's no need to get ******** because someone called out PS2 on that. The reality is the vast majority of FPS games don't have the same "pedigree."

Do you get pissed if someone claims their NY Strip steak is nicer than your Big Mac?
  2. EvilPhd

I think the whole roster thing was a test run to see how esport squads would run in a game like this.
    If the e-sports crowd starts nerfing the entire game to their niche squad size, then we are all screwed.
    Those people can not handle a game of this magnitude. Something about not being able to coordinate people at a date and time. So let the nerfballs fly and make actual large scale fights laughable.
    I wish SOE would have made their own league from the ground up rather than destroy their game and alienate their userbase by surrendering to elitist scrubs.

Don't adapt this game to e-sports. E-sports should adapt to it.
    If you make design changes based on 'oh it's only 12 people and X need to be banned because they are OP in squads", you are alienating your pub base. If e-sports is not the same game, then people will not relate to it, and it will die. Blame it on spectator tools, but the real reason is because people are not going to watch or care about a different game.
  3. Sinist

LOL.

Counter Strike only has ever been popular because of it's low system specs. I can remember and time a Counter Strike map in just a few weeks of serious play.

I like Ghost Recon because you had foliage, you had large maps, you had cover, you had camoflauge, rockets, grenade launchers, turrets. You could lay in the grass or climb to building tops. You could also peak to not have to run around a corner. Your twitch skills needed to be perfect on TOP of tactical strategy on how you approached your enemy. There were dozens of strategies you needed to understand for each map, and you needed to perfect them all. On Counter Strike its just a handful. Ghost Recon a realistic tactical shooter, CS an arcade shooter. What do you think sounds more "skillful".

Just because a game is popular does not mean it is "hard". If anything it would tell me that it is easy.It is an arcade shooter with lame pistol and sniper rifle with a bunch of "Rofl headshot u while I was strafing andjumping and ducking and rolling I just spray and prayed when I seen you because the game sucks"
  4. Hael

I hope you realize you just lost all credibility. Continue to laugh at me though as if you've proven something. Just know everyone else is laughing at you.
  5. soeguud

Compares longevity of given Ghost Recon title with most successful eSports titles. Laughs.

Accessibility, Fun and Depth. You don't NEED to jam in first party eSports support. The best, longest lived, competitive communities will grow or wither of their own accord. Planetside 2 has absolutely no chance.
  6. Pella

Rich coming from someone who thinks their a "Pro" PS2 player.. How i laugh.
  7. Matti

I would love to see this game add an eSports feature but it's really to early to even speculat, the game doesn't even have a game-mode that can be played competitively. Just hope that Higby an SOE don't try to be over creative, there is no need to reinvent the weel. But to make the planetside 2 big scale gameplay into an eSports game...not so shure about that.
  8. Sinist

I suck at PS2 so far.

When did I ever say I was "pro". I dont even believe in "pro" gamers. There is no such thing outside of Korea. With maybe Fatality as the exception.

Whatother FPS gamer has ever earned more then a few thousand dollars? Thats what pro means, earning money.
  9. Sinist

Counter Strike was only popular in early 2000's because it was mostly free and could run on just about any computer.

That is the major contributing factor to its popularity, and the fact that Half Life was the top single player game at the time. And they started the whole "mod" thing.

As a FPS game it sucks.

And if you consider yourself a FPS genre fan, you are a total idiot if you dont see the game as dated and outplayed with morons who sunk way too many hours of their life into it and trying to keep it unchanged and alive for some stupid nostalgia. Because they can't compete in any other game that requires not fighting over a basement sized map with dumb gun mechanics.

I have and always will say, CS players are NOOBS.
  10. SarahM

>e-sports
    >clientside hit detection

Does not compute.
  11. Protential

ORLY

CS Players can pick up and play any FPS and generally be decent and advance better then other players.

Let me guess, you came from halo.

/lawl
  12. Pella

More people play CS/CS 1.6/CS:GO Than any FPS on the market. Yet only a tiny percentage of those players are good and even smaller are exceptional. The rest wants to be like them. Same applys for LOL/SC/DOTA. That my friend is Esports.

PS2 skill cap is to low to be competitive.

And this is direct form Higby- read it and weep.

Here's a quick rundown of what tournaments or esports will likely look like. If you hate it, great, don't participate, it's not forced in any way shape or form.

The first step in making esports work in PS2 will be making a real metric to compare the battle effectiveness of groups of players against each other. This can't really be XP because then the best "farmers" will be the best outfit. Once we have a metric that takes into account strategic objectives, efficiency, teamwork we will be able to have a real outfit ladder. That outfit ladder will be 100% completely based on accomplishments and actions in the normal day-to-day PlanetSide 2 open world combined arms non-instanced game that you're playing right now.

The outfit ladders will be broken into sizes, so outfits are competing against like-sized groups for position. These could be thought of as weight classes in boxing or wrestling. AT would be getting compared to TE, but PG might be getting compared to CDL.

At specific times throughout the year outfits that opt in to participate will be able to fight other outfits (within and without their empire) in bracketed invitational tournaments to see who is the best of the best. This wouldn't be an every day thing or something that players could "activate" or "queue for". Maybe one weekend some of the big outfits wouldn't be in the world for a couple hours per match, but it absolutely wouldn't be a "drain" of top level players or outfits.

Instanced gameplay wouldn't exist for day-to-day game, at all. The people who DO care about tournaments will have even more reason to play and accomplish things within the game because THEY care about the competition aspect. Those of you who do not won't have to, and won't feel any major impact except maybe for a couple hours on a weekend every few months the outfit won't be logged in for a couple hours while THEY do participate in something THEY want to do.
  13. Sinist

Never played Halo. Never played Counter Strike.

Played Wolfenstein, Duke Nukem, DOOM, Rainbow Six, Ghost Recon, Quake, Planetside, Battlefield series (Never played Battlefield 3). Basically anything that came out before 2006 that wasn't Counter Strike and Halo or Call of Duty.

From 2006 to 2012 I only played MMO's and Console RPG's.

I get sick of regurgitated FPS's with nothing new but better graphics. Just became boring. That's why I love PS2. Its what all FPS games should be evolving into. Larger scale, teamwork, communication, outfits, massive war simulation, immersive worlds.
  14. Sinist

What skill cap are we talking about?

The game came out two months ago. Did the CS top players become good in two months?

Did LOL and Starcraft stars emerge in two months?

My K/D, shooting skills, and overall game knowledge has been steadily rising since week 1 and I dont feel I am anywhere CLOSE to how good I can be.