Why is this game not 64bit?

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by freehotdawgz, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Dragam

People who are too cheap / dont have money to buy a decent computer, are most likely too cheap or dont have money to spend money on the game either... meaning that SOE shouldnt care about them, they should care about the paying customers.
  2. King_Boo97

Will planetside not work on a 64 bit windows?
  3. Hydragarium

Yes of course it will - Windows anything 64bit can run 32bit just fine.
  4. Gimpy Prime

64bit apps actually run marginally slower than 32bit... It's a minor increase in CPU usage because memory addresses are larger. Of course the advantage with 64bit is that you can reference much more than 4gb of ram. With gaming of course every CPU cycle counts, and it has no effect on the games ability to leverage multiple cores.

So until video games start using 3+ gigs of system memory there will be no point in jumping to 64bit.
  5. Lord Gentlecrab

Cause the engine needs to run on piece of cr*p emachines from walmart.
    • Up x 1
  6. Hydragarium

... if they're used, yes. Otherwise no. Same thing.
  7. Nate

Yes, SOE didn't want to cut off their low end PC users. Funny thing is that their engine turned out to pretty much require a mid-range PC. So they could have went 64 bit and DX11 anyway.

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

Wouldn't have reduced their potential playerbase by very much at all. Judging by Steam's HW stats. Hope we don't have to wait 2 years for a 64 bit and DX11client.
  8. Hydragarium

I'd disagree what with DX11 not even covering 50% of Steam's userbase.
  9. Mistikal

Personally i dont believe all this "sont doesnt want to cut off their low end pc users", its utter rubbish.

I mean look at World of warcraft, originally it was a 32bit application and they introduced a 64bit application to keep up with the times, same as a lot of other games.

I personally think the reason there is no 64bit version has something to do with the article with smedly hinting at planetside 2 coming to playstation - http://www.officialplaystationmagaz...soe-has-proven-we-can-bring-our-games-to-ps3/

I think they originally intended to port planetside 2 to the ps3 a while ago hence none of the major needed support for the pc version, ie sli support, 64bit app, dx10/11, multi core cpu support etc, with the game being only 32bit and dx9 it shows the engine is perfect for consoles, with the announcement of the ps4 soon looks like it could end up on there.

I mean how can any "aaa" game be focused on such old architecture....

Anyway thats my personal thoughts on why the pc has such bad support.
  10. Nate

You read the stats wrong, "29.47% are DX10, 47.97% are DX11". Since that DX10 percentage are probably a lot of low end cards. You couldn't even take the full 29%. You wouldn't really want to play this game with a low end card.
  11. the pestimist

bump until cycles comes
  12. Hydragarium

"Herp derp under fifty percent is not under fifty percent"

Oh my lord. :rolleyes:
  13. warmachine1

Basicaly anything built on CryEngine 2,3 or Frostbite 2 supports 64bit & DX11
    Expectation of transfering to 64bit is available memory >> available CPU time, so overally there is different optimisation required
  14. commandoFi

15. Spencer98881

Make this game 64-bit, the current 16-bit setup is completely incompatible with my computer!!!

my computer has 10GB RAM, is Windows 7, and obviously is 64-bit.
  16. CHEF

I have 16 gig ram, 4 gig had taken up a hobby with texas holdem the other 8 has decided to knit sweaters, always been a lil feminine but still love my ram.
  17. zgunner

Sadly that is the case. Their system specs are WAY over what anyone using WinXP would have. I know one guy who games and still uses WinXP and his PC is crap. The people playing this game without problems are definitely not using Dx9 or Dx10 cards.

Again, you have to realize the difference here. More than 90% of the games on Steam don't require DX11. The question is how many of these people with Dx9 and Dx10 cards can play the game? Only the ones who chose to go with a higher-end CPU over a GPU. What bothers me the most is they put so much effort into the looks of this game that it doesn't seem they even considered optimizing for people with crap GPUs. I have a nice video card, but if I could turn my graphics to crap mode I could probably run the game. Every MMO I have every played(at least the ones I can think of) gives the option to turn your graphics down as far as you possibly can. This way you can at least play the game in the mean time. PS2 used to be like this too. During beta and for about 2 months after launch I could play pretty well. The last 2 months I can't get over 40 FPS at warpgate. Now, how do you think our WinXP friends are doing? Not any better. I've already seen several posts of people who used to be able to play and now they are getting FPS spikes the second they spawn into the game.

Yep. The game will run better on a 64-bit system, but not by much. I would think the FPS improvement if only you were to switch your OS to x64, would be like 5 FPS.
  18. Hydragarium

Holy necropost batman!