Why do you hack?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by rockhead101, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Taemien

I lump them in with murderers, racists and bigots. To me they are all the same thing. Just different degrees of severity. I think you need to take a long look at the situation. You'll understand what I'm talking about. A sociopath is a sociopath. Its just some go to more extremes than others.
    • Up x 1
  2. Shatteredstar

Even if a bunch of stuff is done server side it by no means prevents cheating. Look at WoW and the hacks that happened there, he'll Everquest way back had people using another system to packet sniff basically and get all relevant data that the server was sending. A program could do the same.

There is no effective way to completely stop cheating I think really all daybreak could do is maybe monitor and respond to reports more quickly but there is still a staffing issue. Maybe bring back kinda the old EQ guide program but instead for ps2 the volunteers review the reports and could help filter out junk reports or escalate up major ones more quickly? Like if 10 of your volunteers flag a single name that goes right to enforcement to follow up on kinda like League's tribunal system to a degree?
  3. xSalt

So.... Following your logic, anyone that has ever made a racist, sexist, homophobic, or harsh remark insulting my favorite ice cream flavor should be put to death?

I'm sorry, but you can't claim that they are equal and should be punished as sociopathic murderers would be, and then claim that they are just "going to more extremes than others". That's like calling every fourteen year old boy a sexual predator and punishing them as such because they fantasize about having sex.
  4. Stormsinger

Yep, this is quite true, my main point about PS2 especially is that things being done clientside makes it easier to approach creating hack-tools, which reduces the time it takes to make them. In WoW / EQ, it usually took 2-3 days to a week or so for new hacks to come out - I've seen hacks re-appearing in PS2 under an hour after a client update is pushed.

I like the guide / tribunal system idea, however - this seems like a good way to approach it. Perhaps give a small pile of daybreak bucks to volunteers, or perhaps an item voucher once in a while, in exchange for helping go through reports. Players go a long way for even the smallest cookie, and offering the community a way to combat the wave of hax would be excellent PR.

Hint hint, Radar. :)
  5. LordAnnihilator

Indeed, HINT GODAMN MOTHERF-ING HINT.

I'd bet all my Certs this doesn't get read and nothing like it occurs. Typical DBG.
  6. Shatteredstar

right the program worked well for EQ back in the day for events and general low level player assistance since you had a bunch of guides out and about. I remember spending time hanging around in places giving out fun little no value items and just talking to players while responding to tickets when I was a Guide. Far as players could tell you looked like a GM also so it felt like staff was out and about.

Similar thing could be done just having a "guide" chatting in an area while going through reports would make it seem like the staff is active and around which just that feeling can also discourage problems and helps boost player confidence
  7. Goretzu

They seem to have restarted/refreshed it for EQ1 (I remember they has some legal issues with it a long time ago), so I don't see why they couldn't expand it to PS2. Even if they have no "powers" and all they could do is video some stuff and have a direct e-mail to sent it too, acting as a filter for GMs.
  8. Shatteredstar

Wonder what the legal issues were, maybe required number of events or something. As for PS2 ya don't let them ban but a way to filter through and get better documentation and investigation before sending to staff might streamline things
    • Up x 1
  9. BorgUK1of9

Statement of fact, not a whinge or moan, you arent doing enough as witnessed by the number of hacker posts appearing on the forums.

Its getting out of hand like it did on PS1 and you know full well how quickly hacking killed that game.

If you want to see players stay playing this PS2 then tell the higher ups to do better or we are off.
  10. Goretzu

WoW's Warden software would actively montior your PC so not only did they have to get it working directly, but also then make sure they were still able to spoof that.
  11. Stormsinger

Now that's a fact I didn't know, cool. It explains a few things. Does WoW still use QR code tech to embed personal info in all screenshots taken, out of curiosity? I recall reading about that a few years ago.
  12. Taemien

You're reading too far into it, I never said anyone should be put to death.

How about this, why can't people just be decent to each other? Stop with the alibis.
  13. Goretzu

I never knew they did that, very cunning.
  14. Katana

I hacked in CS1.5 whenit died, then in 1.6 when it died...
  15. Goretzu

Valves anti-cheat software was decent, although in the end it probably actually initiated the paid for "professional" hack software. I did think Valves method of delayed banning after detection was good however as it allowed them to detect and catch a lot more per verison of hack software.
    • Up x 2
  16. Katana

It was really bad for a period... Then it was okay, when they first moved to steam. Then it was really bad again.

I don't know what it's like now, but it was very easy to circumvent VAC, and worst still, very easy to do it for free.

But that wasn't the point I was making, the point I was making was I did it when the game was dead, maybe that's what people are doing here, they're done with the game and are squeezing one last bit out of it.
  17. Taemien

I think ever since Sony (the parent company of SOE) goofed up with that rootkit debacle. SOE was alwasy a bit wary about putting something on the computer to monitor what was going on. They might be able to get away with it now that they are Daybreak. Its not perfect right out of the box however. To catch a hacker you have to think like one (and thus I mean the ones who make such programs, not normally the ones that use them).
  18. Turiel =RL=

It looks like my Daddy-thread got deleted. That's sad, because I was just about to post an explanation for his dancing cursor.

At 4:16 he has the option "Lock at one target" unchecked. That apparently leads to the unusual cursor movement jumping back and forth between targets. It's like the aimbot asking "which one shall we kill?".

If this posting gets zapped also, I'll be moving the discussion to Reddit.
    • Up x 2
  19. JojoTheSlayer

Yeah the "drag shot" BS excuse... (ref last posts in other thread calling aim assists "just" drag shots)
    Drag shot is "muscle memory". If you look at someone that does legit drag shots you see something... they shoot regardless 99% of the time. Why? Its muscle memory... So when you watch videos about people who seem to be "able" to self correct a dragshot within 20ms. Then its not a drag shot and if you take everything else the player does into context, like average speed on other stuff and so on. You will notice that some action a player does should not be physically possible for THAT player to do.

When you watch legit players you will notice that there are no inconsistencies in speed or so on. They miss drag shots when the enemy does something that is impossible to determine and so on because firing isnt "optional" via muscle memory. Unlike someone getting aid that "corrects" the "half a**ed so called drag shot".

Go to Twitch Unreal Tournament (the new one) and watch some highly skilled and known legit players there and you will see it. Regardless of skill level. Everything is more or less fluid, even the unsuccessful drag shots. You dont see the "fluctuating movement speed (aim) and skill" like you see with hackers trying to hide their aim assist hacks.
    • Up x 2
  20. Goretzu

The problem was that rootkit was hidden and a massive security risk, something like VAC or Warden is rather different, although it is possible they are wary, but I'd guess it was more expense.