Why do you hack?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by rockhead101, Oct 5, 2015.

1. rockhead101

Seriously, hackers are getting bad. I don't understand why people hack. It's really bad during alerts. What do you get? Certs? Is your honor worth that? It only takes one or two hackers to ruin the battle. This guy just drove his Magrider right up the road, killed everyone, and drove away. He hit my mine, and I hit him with 5 AP rounds before dying. He didn't even start smoking. Broke our defense and we lost the base. Checked his killsheet, He hadn't died once. He was level 100...... Reported him, but that is a joke..... I really want to see the difference in headshot performance during alerts. I know I die by headshots a lot more during alerts.
  2. Taemien

Same mentality as those who shoot up populated areas. Cept cheaters in games don't have the guts to go out with a bang IRL.
    • Up x 2
  3. Thardus

Because people can't come to terms with the fact that sometimes they just get outplayed. ;)

New topic. How many times have you been accused of hacking by people who don't want to admit that you beat them? Me, it's only been twice, I'm not that great at the game.

I don't see the issue being anywhere near as endemic as people make it out to be. I've seen an invincible tank like you described once, a few years ago, but it's one of the only times I've seen any blatant hacking.
  4. CorporationUSA

Please don't dare people to go on a killing spree.
    • Up x 8
  5. DeltaValkyrie

Want to know why they hack?

2 main reasons that I know of:

1) Good Kill to Death Ratio - so they can boast.

2) Get certs faster.
    • Up x 1
  6. TheKhopesh

Why do I hack?
    Usually, the coughing fit is from illness, or my having breathed in some particulate or anoth- OH!
    Sorry, I was thinking something else entirely...

:p
    • Up x 10
  7. Goretzu

Likely low self-esteem and a need to feel more powerful than they do otherwise (without the interllect to realise that falsely generated esteem is just that - false).

Or to put it another way because they are human and a lot of humanity will do some genuinely bad stuff if they believe they can get away with it, never mind hacking in a game.

You can ask the same question about athletes that cheat too and get many of the same answers.
    • Up x 3
  8. Taemien

Wasn't a dare, both types of people are contemptible. I'm just pointing out parallels.

Pretty much this.

I don't agree with this. Claiming they're 'human' is an excuse. For example, I don't act any different online then I do in real life. In fact I'm probably less abrasive on average here due to the rules in place. This isn't to say I am crude or disparaging IRL, but there is a certain etiquette that is expected of one set by the powers that be. In short, its their house, so their rules. I respect that, just as I'd expect someone to respect me while visiting my home.

And this is where it all comes down to. Athletes in professional sports, players in a game, and criminals in general who have to cheat to get ahead do so because they have no respect for others and least of all, themselves.

Think about it. Look at a cheater in PS2. Why would anyone cheat in a contest with another person? The point of a contest of skill, will, and wits (whether it be in a game or sport), is to challenge oneself. If you're not willing to challenge yourself amongst others, then it means you have NO desire to better yourself.

In the end, you lack respect for yourself, as well as a desire and ambition to get better. When you cheat others, you cheat yourself.
    • Up x 3
  9. pnkdth

We can tell ourselves they have low self-esteem or whatever, they do not care. If you ever stumble over someone streaming when using hacks they act as if they're playing legit. For these people it is perfectly acceptable to use any and all methods to win and they believe if you aren't using hacks yourself it is your own fault.

And the most obvious reason, they LOVE the attention. Destructive hackers love these threads and the drama they cause. The subtle hackers love the recognition it gets them in game, especially if they end up in an outfit since then they get the attention of legit skilled players. People who will defend you on boards and in-game. In some cases you might even become an authority figure who people look up to which is incredibly addictive to those who manage to get away with cheating.
  10. Taemien

Good example of this outside gaming is piece of filth, Lance Armstrong. Even today he's not sorry for what he did, but sorry he got caught.

And it boils right back to what I said earlier.. there's nothing that can really be done to change their attitude, they have a lack of respect for the spirit of contest, others, and themselves. Its ingrained into the cesspools that make up their mind.

Well there is one thing we can do. Ignore them. Don't elevate them, recognize the cheater in your ranks and ostracize them. Treat them as you would a bigot, racist, ect. They're just as bad and just as damaging to everything around them. If they're cheating in a game that affects hundreds of people at a time, what makes you think they won't think twice about cheating where it could actually hurt someone?

Don't give them that satisfaction.
    • Up x 1
  11. Goretzu

Yeah, unfortunately pretty much all studies that have looked at it show that a pretty high % of otherwise law-abiding people will do things you'd think they wouldn't if they believe they aren't being watched/can get away with it or are being otherwise encouraged.

At the very extreme end of things you get situations like the monsterous mob-murder of Farkhunda.

It is actually a relatively rare person that will stand up for what would more generally be classes as "right" when there is no percieved downside to not being so.

In a evolutionary sense it probably gives some benefits, to cooperate when being watched and to cheat when you believe you aren't; morally, of course, it is a different kettle of fish.

Yep, realistically as trite as it sounds, the person they are most cheating is themselves when they do so, unfortunately that doesn't stop the people who do so, so the only real option is very good detection systems (unfortunately not in place in PS2).
    • Up x 2
  12. Voross

That's a dumb question...because it's fun, probably?
    The incredible fast kills, the cert gain, the salt...especially the salt.
  13. Lemposs

Probably to read all the rage and frustration others get from it, which can be a rather hefty drug to some.
  14. Turiel =RL=

You can make cool videos where you aimbot is dancing between heads while you are glitch-moving :)

• Up x 6
  15. FieldMarshall

I think its for the same reason why people troll.
    Some people are sadistic and enjoy the fact that they are inflicting (mental) pain on real people.

The subtle hackers are different i think. There are several reasons why they may enjoy hacking.
    One is that they enjoy the fame or prestige that comes with being a good player. Even if its artificial.
    Another reason may be that its for the same reason why people dont like getting farmed.
    Dying isnt fun, and hacking solves that if they aren't that good at the game.
    They probably dont care if they are "better" because of a hack or not.

TLDR: They do it because it makes them feel good.
    • Up x 1
  16. AxiomInsanity87

I have a theory on why people use scripts (target overlay is a hack and it's legit btw).

Anyone remember back in the day we'd complete our games and then have a go with maxed cheats or crazy ones for lols?

Well i think that's what these kids are doing except online play is the norm and they can't separate the difference between having a bit of fun with cheats to ruining everyone's fun in online play.

Obviously there's the delusional ones who think they're actually elite for being a script scrub or the ones who think that it's fine because they have too much of a life to nolife to get good so they just no life with scripts to feel better.
  17. AxiomInsanity87

Doom95 for instance.

Completed without cheats on various difficulties

Completed again with every cheat at one point or another active (like walk through walls lol).

Except this attitude is brought to online play as if it's ok.

PS. IDKFA, ICCDC, IDDQD etc ;)
  18. Kcalehc

Calling most of the cheaters 'hackers' is exaggerating their abilities considerably, and probably boosts their ego even more. Most are likely not smart enough or motivated enough to actually hack; they are simply purchasing someone else's script/bot and using it. They are simply cheaters.

Of course I'm sure there's a small handful that actually do create and use the hacks, they I suspect make fairly good money from doing so. (If only DBG could find them and pay them more to stop the cheaters!)

Absolutely, sometimes I used cheats to make it harder for myself, to see if I could beat it. Like cheat to unlock all weapons, then play through only using a fairly poor weapon and see how well I did.
  19. Movoza

There is another reasoning behind many for them, either masking their frustration at not being better or truly their own reasoning. It is that their hardware or software is below par. Low computer, lag, long distance from internet switch points or any orher reason why their performance is lower than they expected/imagined. You cheat to get back on par, compensating for the failing circumstances or compensating for cheaters.
    In the end, just a compensating technique. Although i don't have any numbers, I think a fair share uses this reasoning.
    • Up x 1
  20. Dualice

Am I right in thinking this is analogous to the below statement?

Or is he legitimately that skilled? It sure looked fishy to me.

Also, liked your comparison of Mr. Armstrong, Taemien. As a keen road cyclist myself I had a lot of respect for that guy until I found out the allegations were true. Then when it all came out, you could tell in the subsequent interviews he didn't have any problems doing what he did to win the competitions at all. His only problem was, as you say, that he got caught.

*EDIT* spelling