Why are LA's inaccurate while jetting?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Kriegson, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Aegie

No, Medics are everything in this game (at the infantry-level). How can you say position is everything with a straight face when all places of any significance are cap points in small rooms?

Also, as already mentioned, there is no need for jump jets to get a good position and the number of LA exclusive and good positions...

At least you agree that current weapon stats while flying is bonkers but seriously Medic FTW every time. Position is worthless in a game where the capture points are in predefined, well understood, small and sheltered areas. Well, let me take that back. Position is everything- that is, being in the meaningful position (the cap point) is the only real objective and accomplishing this requires MEDICS and not LA. In fact, virtually all of these points are in places where the jetpack is not only utterly worthless but actually a great liability because you are sitting duck while airborne, would be indoors where jetpack has 0 advantage, and you have to give up the godlike ability to infinitely heal/rez teammates.
  2. maxkeiser

Eh? Don't agree with this at all. You obviously have a different notion of what is 'significant'.
  3. Aegie

Oh yeah you can sit in a perch and shoot unsuspecting people but that is neither fun nor effective in the sense that it does nothing to advance the goal of capping/defending the point. You are as effective doing what you describe here as a sniper on a hill 300m away (except the sniper is probably better at it with an even better KDR).

Want to do something meaningful, be a medic, MAX, or engineer and get on the point. Period. Only necessary classes in the game really. LA, HA and Infiltrator could disappear and the game would play more or less the same. Remove Medic, or MAX, or Engineer and you have gutted core strategies of the game, remove LA HA or Infiltrator and all you have done is removed someone's pet peeve.
    • Up x 1
  4. Meeka

For the same reason infiltrators are penalized for using theirs. Balanced and fair gameplay.

If you can aim straight while flying through the air, I want to be able to shoot while cloaked.
  5. Aegie

Apparently. All I am saying is that if you are interested in playing to the objective, the objective being capping the point and taking the hex, then LA HA and Infiltrator are all pretty worthless. If you want to pad a KDR, sure you can do some of that with a LA by sitting in a perch and shooting unsuspecting people but that is boring, requires very little skill, you're better off with a sniper 300m out, and does virtually nothing to advance the goal of taking the hex.

If by 'significant' you mean a place where you can shoot unsuspecting enemies in the head then these are all over the place and you're still better off finding them with a Medic than a LA. Being in a good location simply does not require a jetpack- infinite healing/rezzing, on the other hand, does require the Medic.
  6. maxkeiser

Utter nonsense.

If you are interdicting troops getting to the cap point, harrassing them, killing them etc you are assisting the team. There are plenty of places to sit and move around in large bases where you can DIRECTLY prevent troops from approaching the cap points.

Any kill is a useful kill because if you don't kill that person they will just move to the cap point and cause trouble. Further, once you shot one person you then take up the time of medics who come along to res. And you can then kill them as well.
  7. Iridar51

It is, but I don't believe it should be so. Heavy Assault and Combat Medic both have good weapons and abilities that are useful in direct firefight, I don't see why Light Assault shouldn't have them too.

Our weaponry selection and abilities are making us infiltrators - a ninja with mobility instead of cloaking and better weapons, but they still promote low-risk backstabbing flanking predictable gameplay. That's just not fun. I believe risk taking should be more promoted.

If it was such a big advantage as you make it out to be, Light Assault would be the most popular and the most high scoring class. 'Tis far from so.
    • Up x 3
  8. maxkeiser

As a part of a team do you really think that EVERYONE needs to be on the cap point?

Enemy troops can be prevented from even getting near a cap point by the judicious use of light assaults (and other classes) positioned well. And in most bases, you are better served locking down the spawn room rather than sitting on the point in any event.

Shut the enemy down from the source. Cause panic by shooting them from odd positions. All valid and needed in order to take the objective.

Everyone is doing their bit - and sitting on the cap point is just one bit of that.
  9. Aegie

Right, so all meaningful activity is about the cap point. You can stop people from getting there in lots of ways- LA is among the least effective. Why? Because in the positions you are describing you are not capable of getting/giving heals, ammo, revives.

I can sit on the point as a Medic and everyone I take down is helping defend the point, meanwhile I can do this ad infinitum because 1) I can heal myself (and others around me) and 2) others can revive me so I can keep going.

Let me ask you this- what is better for capping or defending a point, a 12 person LA squad sitting in perches or a 12 person Medic squad sitting on the point?
  10. pnkdth

Yes, because the only thing you do in this game is sitting on a point. Indeed, everyone should do it. Especially in 48v48 fights. Super tactical and clever. I'm guessing no one use grenades on your server?
  11. Aegie

Sitting on the cap point is the necessary condition, all else is fluff.

Who cares if anyone is controlling the enemy vehicles if everyone is sitting safely in the cap room? Panic? You really think people panic when you shoot them from above before they get into the Tech Plant? No, they may die and if they do they come back in 10 seconds.

True, there are a lot of bases where you can lock down the spawn room- a situation where your jetpack is again worthless compared to the Medic ability.

Face it, there is a reason the only strategy in the game is "Medic, MAX, Engineer!" and there is a reason LA is among the least used and lowest scoring classes in the game.
    • Up x 1
  12. Aegie

Yeah, they do, you counter explosive spam with rez grenade spam and vice versa.

Of course, you can do lots more than sit on points (for instance you can camp spawn rooms) but lets face it there simply is not much depth to the game if you're playing to the objective. Camp and spam, spam and camp. Granted, this is a design flaw as well as a class balance issue but to deny it only reveals a lack of understanding.
    • Up x 1
  13. Kriegson

Or flak armor and just getting away from the giant flashing red thing flying through the air. Grenades are surprisingly ineffective unless you drop it right on someone, for good reason I suppose but still...only good for scattering troops, flushing people out or maybe scoring a couple kills.

I will say the class specific grenades are awesome though, THOSE are room clearing grenades.
    That being said though, an organized team on the point > anything else outside the point on most bases with defensible points. Saw ADK lock down a point against superior numbers for a 4 minute cap just by having engies covering the doors in great spots with turrets, air cover keeping the enemy from having sundies up and medics keeping everyone alive.

Where were the LA's? Nowhere, because they aren't useful in that situation. Which is the optimal situation about 80% of the time.
    • Up x 1
  14. Cirevam

Is that so... do you have the video link on hand? I'll look for it later if you don't.
  15. pnkdth

I'm not playing the same game as you. When you guys are sitting around on the point I'm out there dealing with MAX units, vehicles, and the rest of the opposing force. You know, so you won't get completely and massively overwhelmed. Obviously holding the point is important to, but expecting to hold a point just by sitting there against any real resistence is foolish at best. Any decent outfit can fend off the zerg but when faced with an outfit that won't freak out, and instead bring all kinds of toys to the party, is likely to wipe you out.

Ignoring spawn points, armor, etc, only works against a disorganised zerg or when you massively outnumber the enemy. Just take a look at the community clashes, and you'll notice that simply going into building defence mode doesn't work. You will get cut off and wiped.
  16. Aegie

Most cap points are such that vehicles are exactly 0 threat.

MAX units can be threatening but the beauty of sitting in the cap room is that it is designed so as to funnel the opposition through predictable fire lanes.

Now, don't get me wrong, I do not think it should be this way but this is the way things work. Best and easiest way to cap a point is to drop the whole platoon on it with most of them medics and the remainder MAXs and engineers.

There may be a zerg outside but, like I said, the vehicles cannot get in and the rest of the zerg has to funnel through the predictable doorways- thus, like Spartans were aware, the numbers are irrelevant (even less so since, if done correctly, you have so many medics that the opposition must very quickly eliminate every last person or else risk the rex grenade and the repeat. This is similar, of course, to the tactic of retaking the cap point- rush it as fast as possible with loads of medics and the rest MAX engineer (maybe a HA or two for the concussion grenades). That is it- that is the extent of "high level" PS2 strategy- again, not because it is good or should be that way but because the way the game and classes are designed that is simply the strongest solution.
  17. Kriegson

it's his video talking about ping actually..lemme see...eh can't find it at the moment.
  18. Iridar51

Speak of the devil...
    Spawned as heavy, got 25 killstreak doing absolutely nothing special. Just ran around shooting stuff. There happened to be no vehicles or MAXes around, though.
    [IMG]
    This is nothing special, no mad skillz or whatever. That's just high-DPS LMG, Nanite Mesh Generator and nanoweave - stuff that makes skill redundant, when not fighting against other heavies. If heavy's got it, I don't see why LA shouldn't.
  19. Aegie

So, they just moved this from the General section- basically saying "we could care less" and a sign that nothing positive is coming down the pipe for LA anytime soon.
  20. z1967

Welcome to the class forums. Where good/ok threads go to die and people are ultra biased.