Why are LA's inaccurate while jetting?

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by Kriegson, Apr 10, 2014.

1. Kriegson

Mechanically it's probably because they're seen as perpetually falling...but consider...WHY exactly are LA's penalized for using their class function? Their ONLY unique function at that...to at best be a C4 fairy dispensing gifts from above, and (often) at worst being a very easily spotted "Pigeon" for everyone to practice their target practice on.

Now I don't expect any tweaks until LA revamp which is quite a ways off but hear me out...What if...LA's lost their accuracy as everyone does initially while jumping...but regained their accuracy (Depending on the weapon) relatively quickly while jetting?
    Probably "jump spread" to "Standing spread" after .8 seconds of jetting? Maybe some method of making it recognize jet-induced free fall so your accuracy isn't rubber banding all over if you are fluttering your jets.

End result? Raptors are actually something somewhat feared, and not just because of C4. DRIFTERS can ski through corridors or across plains and fire with decent accuracy. Ultimately they're still a huge target, but at least they can shoot back, while also keeping it from being easy to bunnyhop with to abuse this newfound power!
    • Up x 11
  2. Iridar51

I agree.
    Current Jump Jets have only one use - gain a positional advantage, flank and ambush unsuspecting opponent. Having inherently weaker weaponry only makes things worse.
    People tend to hate LAs because of that - "oh again this rat attacked me from the back, where I couldn't see him".

Sadly, attacking from the back is about the only viable option for us, because Jump Jets do not provide any combat advantage, on the contrary, using them in live fire situation is suicide, unless you're trying to bend your pump action shotgun's barrel over enemy's neck.

Light Assaults are forced to rely on stealth to survive. They make a terrible shock trooper, or a front line soldier because of that.
    I'm sure now a hundred people will jump in and yell "but LAs are made this way! you're not a front line soldier, that's a job for a heavy!".

I don't see why LA can't be a front line shock trooper, and - just as heavy relies on his shield to keep him alive - rely on his mobility and fast Jet Packs to dodge enemy fire and keep him alive.
    • Up x 6
  3. iller

They'd have to recieve the same massive slow-down in Momentum (especially vertical) that everyone else is subject to when attacking
    • Up x 1
  4. Regpuppy

There should be some accuracy penalty for shooting/aiming while mid-flight, but I'll agree that it's harsher than it needs to be.
  5. M2_Bradley

You.Stole.The.Words.From.My.Mouth.+1.
  6. Tuco

[IMG]

You shouldn't be shooting at all when in the air.
    • Up x 1
  7. teks

because otherwise they would have an advantage. Sigh. I gave up in LA a good while back. Its the future, kind feel like all infantry should have jumpjets as an option
  8. Modern Ancestor

Why does the bear crap into the woods.:eek:
  9. Paperlamp

Jets need to move you faster IMO, problem isn't bad accuracy while flying, it's how long it takes to move about with them and how vulnerable you are while doing so.

Not that having bettter accuracy in flight wouldn't be nice too though.
    • Up x 3
  10. uhlan

Oh for gods sake...

The only good thing about the jump jets is positional advantage?!?!?!

Are you serious, what more do you think the LA's need?

A GOOD LA knows the limitations of the class and uses the massive benefit of positional advantage to good effect.

You are not an Assault Trooper a la 40k.

Your class is as fragile as ANY OTHER CLASS other than the HA.

If you attack from the front obliquely, the average person CANNOT hit you. I will NOT explain what this means... go experiment.

You can make quick turns around corners while pursued and jet to an available height to get the drop on pursuers.

You can take "short-cuts" and avoid combat funnels that EVERY OTHER CLASS has to deal with.

I could write a book on how awesome this class is.

Now, the beauty of this game is the ability to CHANGE CLASSES AT WILL for little cost.

Anyone that whines about classes in this game either hasn't played very long or needs to realize it's about getting the job done, not about bending the game to your prefered methods of play.
    • Up x 6
  11. vsae

Because if the LA could shoot their not so great and hardly midrange weapons with massive degradation they would be totally OP and metagame. sarcasm off
    • Up x 1
  12. Kriegson

The problem here is netcode. They removed the icarus jumpjets because that fast movement of characters caused all kinds of strangeness, though they were having the same issues with simply spam jumping...so they might be able to fix it. Who knows?

@uhlan
    Sersiouly dude you don't need that many lines, spaced like that just to say "LA is fine because they can perch." It would be like removing cloaker stealth but saying "They're fine because they can corner camp."
    • Up x 1
  13. DQCraze

I don't think this is a l2p issue. Because of lag and delayed hit detection I'm dead before I can even get a few hits on someone. Positional advantage? The game has been out long enough that people look up and radar gives you away.

The class could use a better carbine and a bit more velocity on the jets. Oh and if I'm a light assault, don't you think part of my training would be shooting accurately while jetting?
    • Up x 2
  14. z1967

At the very least we should be able take advantage of the good hip fire of carbines/smgs/shotguns whilst in flight. LA should capitalize on the ability and be able to effectively fight whilst flying.

Part of my LA revamp thread (that I am very carefully manufacturing in a .gdoc) is adding a weapon independent to LA weapon class called "compacts" that will be the only weapon that does not actually suffer from shooting and flying. Part of the problem with LA is that it shares weapons with the Engineer, which is not optimal considering the different play styles of these classes. They will have a variety of weapons and are not just limited to a carbine styled one. Still needs refining (and some base stats to start the discussion) but I think the LA is probably gonna need the biggest of the revamps. And it will also include some stuff for other classes that more than one class will be using. But I guess this is kinda off-topic :|
  15. SuperMedicated

Make it so you do have a little bit less accuracy than when you run (not sprint) but a lot more than the current sawed off shotgun-like shooting
  16. Giggily

As someone who plays a lot of LA, I like that LAs can't shoot accurately while jetting. It makes fights between LAs very interesting, because you need to constantly be on your toes so that you aren't caught in the air, but at the same time still need to jet around in order to flank because you are very fragile.
  17. Aegie

They should have made the modifier while flying recoil based rather than COF based- this way, you would still be at a significant disadvantage shooting while airborne but it would vary with skill and practice rather than be related to a completely random COF.

Fights between LAs would be much more awesome if you had some ability to fight while airborne because then you get great mid air duels and those were awesome.

Basically though, the answer to why they cannot fight while flying is tears.
    • Up x 1
  18. Kumaro

Still don't understand why the Light "ASSAULT" class doesn't have access to all weapons but LMG and sniper rifle....
    And is capable of a somewhat accurate fire when mid flight. <.< they are an Assault class after all not infiltration class -w-
  19. Cirevam

Funny, last I checked, jump pads accelerated players instantly and the game doesn't bug out whenever those are used. I don't buy the technical explanation from SOE. I think it's more likely that they didn't want LAs to be hitting the jump jet "escape from fight" button every time they were shot or saw an enemy.

I saw a suggestion not too long ago that would require Icarus jets to have a short charging period before jumping. Hold the jump jet button for a second, then blast off. Suddenly it's not an escape button.
  20. KnightCole

I die to Jumping LA plenty lately....prolly guys using aim bots, cuz I know when I JJ my acc goes to ****, my CoF blooms to the size of a gun hit KV2 with a dead gunner and 50% crew in Wot.....my screen shakes and everything....but yeah.
    • Up x 1