Where do people stand on "Infantryside".

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by DorianOmega, Jul 19, 2014.

1. volth

They should remove some walls and make vehicles stronger against other vehicles. C4 and AV turret should have a nerf too. You need 4+ rockets to blow a sunderer if you are heavy armor but a LA can blow it with 2 C4.
  2. Axehilt

Eh, PPA's effective range is clearly too far. There's really no sane AI turret balance that doesn't involve pulling that in (even though many options exist to accomplish this goal: bullet drop, damage degradation, and/or reducing projectile speed.)

AI secondaries should be brutal against infantry at close-medium range, but PPA is a bit too easy to land perfect-accuracy damage at longer range than that.

It doesn't help that players confuse popularity with effectiveness (which in turn results in more popularity, which results in more perceived effectiveness.) I do think PPA is legitimately better than the other AI secondaries, but players opt for PPA a disproportionally large amount of the time relative to the actual effectiveness of the gun. (Even I'm guilty of this and I probably only take PPA ~15% of tank pulls. About half of those pulls I regret not taking a Saron/Halberd instead.)

The AI secondaries all have to be relatively in balanced (but at varied effective ranges). And this means all of them, including the Bulldog (which obliterates AI and vehicles alike) the Kobalt (which is a nice damage laser but probably not painful enough to offset its lack of AOE), the Fury (which I haven't even seen enough lately to make a judgement call on), and the ES ones. So it's not a simple matter of buffing the two ES ones, but of ensuring all AI secondaries are about equal in overall value.
  3. HantuDuppy

They could completely get rid of aircraft, and I would be ok with that. There are too many obstacles that block lock-on rockets, that the rocket will crash into if you do manage a lock, and the aircraft will simply run away for a few seconds to repair if they do manage to take some damage. The hovering ability of aircraft means that infantry are at the complete mercy of aircraft that have them in their sight. Hiding behind rocks will only buy you a few seconds. Not enough to redeploy. I've even had aircraft spin circles around buildings to shoot into windows to kill me with a lucky random shot. It would be great if Sony would ditch the current flight system and go with normal aircraft flight instead of this VTOL thing that nearly no one can use in the first place.
  4. Nurath

Gotta be honest, I think aircraft could be removed and I wouldn't miss anything but the air-spams.

Then again I don't want to be a game Hitler and make air-players e-mad.
  5. Ronin Oni

and ^^THIS is why vehicles have received nothing but NERF after NERF after NERF.

Don't worry, you'll have your wish soon and nothing will be worth taking anymore. Tanks are getting the final nail with this months patch, Air's been hit hard and will be again I'm sure. ANother 6 months and this game really will be nothing but Infantry...

all 50 players who are still playing anyways.
  6. Skylor THOReson

yeah I agree,i used to love pulling air even though I sucked at it, I would hardly ever get a kill(no rocket pods) but it was still fun and they have such a buetifal flying system in this game too. Yet I can get killed in just a few seconds by one aa max and sometimes can't even get out of the way fast enough let alone land and heal. They say we are supposed to work together as a team to take down aa so we can pull air support but I think they have accomplished the opposite because now aircraft is not really a viable option and that just removes more tactical use of aircraft in battles, further more. how the hell are you supposed to get rid of aa camping behind enemy lines, there really is no way until you start the spawn camp and at that point the battles pretty much over. unless an outpop occurs at which point the tides usually turn because of all the nerfs on tactical gameplay brought to you by whiney cod players.
  7. JudgeNu

Most of us who play FPS's did just that.
    I have never played anything with tanks except Total Annihilation!
    I have never flown any Jets.
    However some have done all three.

Tanks are not too hard to use, its just gaining the experience to not always lose it embarrassingly.
    Aircraft is another animal.
    To me the flight controls and overall tactics of flying don't come natural for me and I would rather not, until I am completely bored with gameplay then Ill try.
    Some people join the Navy some the Air Force, and some are happy in the Army.

I certainly don't want to fly a Reaver and get killed constantly feeling like a noob, ill just do it on the ground!
  8. RegiusTR

Agree 100% with OP. There are a lot of "new" people. Who think the game is infantry only due to how hard it is to use vehicles with all the nerfs done to them.
    • Up x 1
  9. BIllyGG

I prefer Infantry, but I thought the vehicles were pretty balanced for the most part.

I don't see a problem with them except the Magrider having both the boost and strafing ability, but like I said I prefer Infantry, so no skin off my back.
  10. dasichri

My view is infantry are too strong and can do too much, nevermind the fact we can pick any class and potentially use each one to full effectiveness from the start, and it costs no resources to be infantry
  11. Noktaj

No you can't.
    Even a basic sundy from a lvl 1 player will require at least 3 C4 to be blown up if it is a max health, 2 C4 will just set it on fire.
    Considering most deployed sundies usually have maxed armor, you usually need 4 c4 to blow them up from max health.
    So you either are a ninja-sneaking-engi with ammo pouch or you won't blow that sundy with C4alone.
    Never.
  12. volth

You sure? my sunderer use to blow from 2 c4.
    A LA fly to it place c4 and boom.
    But it can be a bug too :/
  13. Valadain

They may have been setting it off with a grenade, which adds damage.
  14. Noktaj

Best way for you to be convinced is VR training. Pull a basic sundy and try C4 it.
    You'll see first hand ;)

If your sundy goes boom with 2 C4 bricks is probably because it's already damaged or taking damage.
    That's why is SO important every time you spawn in a sundy to check its health and in case switch engi and repair it.
  15. Valadain

In answer to the OP, for me, the question comes down to something pretty simple. Are infantry forced, on a constant basis, to interact with vehicles? If yes, then infantry should be properly equipped to take out those vehicles and not be instantly killed by them. The preferable approach is that the answer be no, that infantry are only sometimes forced to interact with vehicles (like when bailing out of their own vehicles, or traveling on foot from base to base). For this to be true, there needs to be a number of changes. Many bases would need a redesign for this and some bases should be converted to not bases, but rather supply depots/capture points that may involve entirely different tactics to take and hold (including vehicles). For the bases converted, I think they should also have some way to bring in combined arms, which could be as simple as putting a sundy garage with a capture point and a generator. Capture the point, repair and hold the generator, and get a shield to keep out enemy troops. If it is one point of four, it won't win it, but it gives a good foothold and one critical point for vehicles to hold.

As for Air, I think it is mostly fine right now. ESFs are properly weak against infantry AA options. Liberators are still a bit strong against AA, but a few more turrets (or turrets at all in many bases) would fix that. Galaxies are tough as hell, but limited enough to make up for it. Honestly, the only change I'd make for aircraft, wouldn't really be a change to aircraft, it would be fixing the walls in the game to properly stop explosive damage, so that they can't really do jack against people who are dug in and protecting a point in buildings. Right now, they can get a lucky shot with splash damage circumventing full cover.

Something far more involved that would probably help stop a lot of the complaining on multiple fronts would be to implement a death match arena. Something where people queue up, pop in, kill everyone else or have the high score and you get a reward and your faction gets some award. It would give casuals a place to have instant action, while also linking them to the rest of the game. So that you can actually change the rest of the game to be more strategic without a fear of losing people. I'd also suggest having two sets of stats, so that the stat crazy people can actually play the rest of the game without worrying about losing their preciouses.

In short, the game needs to be combined arms, but not necessarily combined at all levels and all times.
    • Up x 1
  16. lawn gnome

i always have to use 2x C4 and a rocket to kill unarmored sunderers as my heavy. i trigger the C4 with the rocket blast so it looks like one attack.
  17. Rift23

The whole hover mechanic is garbage and the reason SOE can't think of a fix for air beyond adding more weapons/nerfing. Having to do bombing runs/actually dogfight other aircraft must have been deemed beyond the intelligence level of their target audience. I know they decided it was too complicated for liberators since they went from bomber to Michael Bay gunship.
  18. Valadain

I don't mind hover for a plane or two, but I would like at least one real flight-physics fighter. And a fix for the massive joystick dead-zone. Not that I must have joystick support, but they put in a configuration area for it, it would be nice to pull it off the shelf for once.
    • Up x 1
  19. volth

Ah ok
  20. Zar

cod is waiting for you my son go forth and leave my game be.
    and or battle field same game now.
    • Up x 1