When will Planetside 2 come out for Mac?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by EchoGeneral, Dec 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Beliskner

You are completely over your head man. It's pretty much the same **** inside, just with the price jacked up.

What the **** does this even mean? What?
  2. KoSGunny

"announced 2008.01.08 at $2,199 with one 2.8 GHz quad-core CPU, 2 GB RAM, 320 GB hard drive, ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT; $2,799 with two 2.8 GHz quad-core CPUs; $3,599 at 3.0 GHz; $4,399 at 3.2 GHz; discontinued 2009.03.03"
    In 2008 I could build that for $500..

Case in point?

Adding in a response to the guy asking 'what does that even mean' and saying i'm 'in over my head.'

Do me a favor, lemming: post the fastest mac in the world right now. Go find the link, post it here. Then get really happy that they use such good hardware. When you're done, I'll make you look like a fool with a link of my own: seeing as Mac and PC allegedly use the same hardware.

(In case you still don't get where I'm going with this: You'll post some 'amazing mac' and I'll post what modern hardware really is: And the mac couldn't hold that PC's coffee.)
  3. TheEvilBlight

I'm using a PC myself. I commented earlier that the Mac Pro of 2012 is still a Westmere/Nehalem machine. It's scary.

The price on Apple machines is a little nuts. That said, you pay for the finish, but most gamers are paying for the guts. A gamer is unlikely to see the machine of another gamer.
  4. KoSGunny

About that Mac Pro that had been linked earlier, the scary part is what hasn'tbeen consideredyet (I wish we could teach people to pay attention to what ISN'T ON THE SPEC SHEET so Apple would be forced to sell more reasonably.)

that hard drive, do some research and you'll find that just like every Mac it's going to have low RPMs, low data bandwidth, small cache, etc..

That RAM? Guarantee it's DDR2, same as most of the newer models. Speed? Probably 666MHz with over 11-11-11 timings at least.

You already specified the CPU was lacking as far a a performance CPU goes: even at that age.

As for the GPUs available.. I had a better one in my PC back then and I barely even gamed. Cost me $120, bought in 2008. Obviously been upgraded since.
    • Up x 1
  5. KoSGunny

As a final addition: Macs can be fine for casual computing. But when it comes to raw performance: You're in the wrong department.

Argue it as much as anyone wants to. But do a breakdown of each component, look at your upgradability, really dig into the issue.. And Macs are not made for real performance: As much as a spec-list saying 8GB RAM might sound nice, that 8GB is going to be the slowest, most restrictive RAM you could possibly buy: And it's going to cost hundreds more than the best 8GB DIMMs you could find for your Windows desktop.
  6. TheEvilBlight

7. RedStapler

Runs on mine fine.[IMG]
  8. TheEvilBlight

That's the problem with buying a machine and not building it yourself. Even in the PC market, there are "gamer" machines that on closer examination weren't built with attention to detail, but attention to price thresholds.
  9. TheEvilBlight

I see you're using Steam to run it? That is kind of strange. Thought hl2_osx was just source engine games.

21 FPS, 1024x768, windowed, CPU limited?

What machine would this be?
  10. RedStapler

I just run it on my Mac Pro.
    2.40GHz Xeon
    12GB Ram
    Two HD 5870 1GB
  11. TheEvilBlight

12. Phrygen

Man, why are you going full ****** on the forums? You never go full ****** son.

You have, literally, no idea what you are babbling about. The hardware is in almost every case identical. Certain hardware specs for macs are different depending on the system, but in most cases they are identical to PC components. Its simply specific hardware components used in specific mac laptops as to what you are refering to. The price doesn't change the fact that the hardware is the same with exception to things like macs using EFI instead of bips.

I also stated that when i purchased my mac pro workstation, the price was competitive to other work stations. as of 2012, Apple is overcharging for almost everything, including the mac pro line. Some of the laptops aren't a complete rip off, but they will still cost more. But you don't know how to read and only blindly rage in threads that have nothing to do with you... its cool, you are a dime a dozen.

Now who is lying on the forums? There is NO WAY that you could ever build that in 2008 for $500. you are just making a fool of yourself. The Mac Pro case alone is such high quality, especially in 2008, that any case even close to it was about 150-200 dollars in 2008. Throw in the power supply, optical drive, motherboard (probably integrated wireless), bluetooth, high quality fans etc...

Second off, i already posted the geekbench scores for all mac computers on the market. Are you incapable of using google or reading other peoples posts?

And frankly, you are the only lemming in this thread, mindlessly arguing an over 20 year old "mac vs pc" debate that anyone with a brain doesn't care about anymore. Everyone knows the deal with Microsoft and apple. People like you who go nutz in a forum thread for no apparent reason about mac products are just as much of sheeps for Microsoft as someone buying a mac.

Oh, and for that other post i'm not putting up, you think mac use outdated 666mhz ram? my Feb 2008 model uses 800 ddr2 dimms... so yea... You realize the workstations are designed for audio and graphic companies right?

dude, you just don't know what you are talking about. Why are you even trying?

"i bet this, i bet that" Why don't you use google before you post stupid things?

This is a thread about ps2 for mac, and if it can be run on macs. It has nothing to do with your blind hate for apple, or your bizarre loyalty to microsoft. They are both fortune 500 companies and neither give a crap about anything except their profit margins. Fools like you going on tirades about macs... lol.
    • Up x 1
  13. Phrygen

It would perform better if it wasn't a virtual desktop. bootcamp is far superior.
  14. legendarysoup

Learn to use a real Os and boot camp it.

/thread
  15. Phrygen

oh and i didn't even see these gems, i only respond to your last 3 idiotic rage filled mouthbreathing posts.
    Maybe if you actually read the post you would have read that I run bootcamp with win 7 ultimate. oh and to answer your ridiculous demand... no i'm not posting a youtube vid for you because i don't care about you. the game defaulted me to 1680/1050 which is the resolution i run at. It choose to run on either medium or low settings. i have my rendering at 90%
    And i get around 25-60 fps depending on if i'm in a big battle or not.
    • Up x 1
  16. Ashnal

Apparently you don't understand the definition of MINIMUM requirement. It indicates the minimum needed to load the game. It would load and run at 4GB on a 32-bit machine.

Also, there's a big difference between recommended RAM amounts and what a program actually uses. Game developers generally just put in whatever amount they guess will hold the recommended OS's background processes in addition to their game. Since a 32-bit OS takes up less RAM than a 64-bit one, the overall RAM requirement would be lower.
    • Up x 1
  17. TheEvilBlight

The Mac Pro is not meant to be directly comparable to a standard consumer machine. The thing uses Penryn-based Xeons, but has *two sockets*. It has eight physical cores, four on each socket. There's latency between sockets, but it beats four cores + 4 HT threads. The synthetic benchmark suggests that it's "only" half as good as the 2012 mac pro, but in practice it looks about as good as an i7 quad Sandy. It's suggestive of how much computing power we can squeeze out of a single die these days.

Throw in more RAM and set up a ramdisk.
  18. EchoGeneral

My Mac could run this. I've run a lot of other games which are on Mac with no problem at all. 4GB isn't that much.
  19. EchoGeneral

Seriously, I didn't want to start an argument about what a Mac can or can't run. Read the title! 'WHEN WILL PLANETSIDE 2 COME OUT FOR MAC?', not 'Can a Mac run Planetside 2?'.
  20. TheEvilBlight

for lul.

Mac technically refers to the computer, but it could be running OS X or bootcamp. The implication is without boot camp, in which case RedStapler provided an image. I suspect it's either the 2008 Mac Pro or the 2012 Mac Pro in his case, but the first poster was using a 2008 Mac Pro.

What Mac do you have?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.