What are you doing to buff LA??

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by LT_Latency, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Reclaimer77

Use then wherever you like. What it sounds like you people want, is to use them anywhere with zero risk!

If we do something stupid, tanks kill us instantly. If you do something stupid, you SHOULD smile and eat a C4 sandwich. Okay!?

Stop this Crutchside mentality.

By the way I got my LA C4 directives done with having ZERO airdrop tank kills. I never ONCE used an ESF to drop C4 on vehicles. And I would guess that the vast majority of LA's don't use this tactic, especially since Drifter has been nerfed to hell.

You got beat by a better player, using superior tactics. Deal with it.
    • Up x 2
  2. Reclaimer77

Nice fantasy.

In real life you set the tank on fire, the driver hits Fire Suppression, outheals that rocket and drives off into the sunset.

If you can't get one friend to be your gunner and blast C4 fairies out of the sky, I have no sympathy for you. It's called teamwork.
    • Up x 2
  3. Reclaimer77

Hey Einstein!

[IMG]

Looks like the Devs made it plain as day that LA is a counter to vehicles. A HARD counter! Unless you intend for LA's to hunt Flash's with their Carbines, how exactly do you expect LA's to complete this?

You lose. Good day.
  4. Tetholin

No, what we want is a chance to fight back, not lose our 450 nanites +XYZ CERT vehicle instantly to a close to nil cost infantry unit. I have no trouble with TB Libs, Other Tanks, ESFs, HAs, Base Defences, Tank Mines etc. What I do have trouble with is people trying to rationalise the HUGE power offset of C4 on a flying platform.

Tanks cost 450 nanites. Normal Spawning costs nothing. One has worth, the other does not. You do something stupid in a tank and you will pay for it in a 101 different ways, but you won't be destroyed IMMEDIATELY, save for a tank mine stack which comes down to driver error, not from something that can rain from above outside of your arc of fire.

So all of your kills were you running up to a vehicle to place the C4 on the side? You never once flew over the top of one to plant C4 outside of its arc of fire? I find that extremely hard to believe. Also just because you might not have done it, doesn't mean there isn't an epidemic of jetpack wielding C4 cruise missiles.

When you start ******** about being HE farmed at your spawn point, I'm going to say this right back at you.
  5. Whatupwidat

It's a HELL of a lot harder to kill a tank with C4 as an LA than it is to kill an LA with a tank...

Most of the tankers whinging about "fairies" have never actually tried to do it I'll hazard a guess. If they did, they'd find out that it has a success rate of maybe - if you're REALLY good at it - 20%? The other times the "fairy" is shot out of the sky before he even equips his C4.
    • Up x 1
  6. TheBlindFreak

I don't see the issue with 2 bricks taking out a tank. That last time I was killed by c4 while tanking was when I alt tabbed out to check some messages and came back to the burning rubble of my tank.

I kill tanks with C4 all the time, but I rarely die that way myself. Makes me wonder how skilled the people complaining about C4 actually are.

Also, for the record, C4 nerfs have been debated to death since launch. There are good reasons why they haven't lost their tank killing ability.
    • Up x 1
  7. K2k4

Don't worry guys the la update is just around the corner. It was originally slated for August 2013 so I'm sure it's almost done!
    (Sarcasm)

Seriously though tanks are already OP the reason they feel like paper is not c4, it's av weapons being everywhere.. turrets, tanks, esfs, even heavy launchers. In fact a well played tank dodges rockets and shouldn't be at melee range with infantry ever.
    • Up x 1
  8. MrNature72

A hard counter would have far more than just 0/3 for something like that.

Honestly, the only class that shouldn't have any vehicle destruction sh*t like that should be infiltrator. Engineer should have 5-10, medic should also have 3, and HA 15 or so.

Look, the point is right now far too much counters vehicles. HE and HEAT was nerfed pretty hard against infantry (with reason: it was lobbing nukes). However, think about this.

Infiltrator - No AV. Explosive darts aren't enough of a threat to count them.

Light Assault - Fantastic AV. C4 coupled with the jetpack turns a squad of LA into a tank-column murdering machine.

Engineer - Fantastic AV. The ability to haul 4 c4 or, better yet, a backpack full of anti-tank mines, AND lay down a fly-by-wire anti-vehicular turret able to d*mn near snipe vehicles? Fantastic AV.

Heavy Assault - Fantastic AV. A myriad of options to take out vehicles, from awesome powerful dumbfire rockets, to the variable lock Annihilator, to weird quirky launchers like the Lancer, Phoenix, and Striker.

Medic - Moderate to weak AV. Can carry C4, yeah, but they hardly use it, save in a pinch.

MAX - Awesome AV. Every faction has access to weapons that can stick vehicles into a veritable meat grinder.

That means, including the MAX, 4/6 classes can easily counter tanks. 4/6. That is way, way, way too many. Meanwhile, tanks only hard counter tanks. ESFs hard counter tanks. Sunderers can counter tanks with dual furies. Harassers hard counter tanks. Lightnings even counter tanks. Liberators hard counter tanks. Even Galaxies can take on a tank. That means 11/13 things in this game hard counter tanks in nearly every scenario.

Run that down, and that means tanks are only 100% effective against two targets: infiltrators and medics. And that blows.

With the upcoming infantry AV nerf, and the health buff, this will be greatly shifted. Yeah, the LA's anti-tank capabilities are being shafted, but only for the lone LA. LA's hunting in packs will still be able to be dangerous, and that's fantastic. That means more organized assaults will be needed. But frankly? You should be a hard counter to tanks. You're the light assault. Why would the light soldier be able to take out the heaviest machinery on the battlefield?

After the nerf, only 7/13 things will hard counter tanks. Liberators, ESF's, heavy assaults, engineers, other tanks, and MAX's. And with the health buffs to tanks, ESF's will be a lot harder pressed to tank out tanks, so you can bring that down to 6/13 for hard counters. The infantry AV nerfs will also bring it down.

The way you look at it, at 200 meters or less, there will be 6/13 hard counters to tanks. Above 200 meters, it gets lowered down to about 3/13. That still means slightly less than 25% of the battlefield can hard counter a tank, and I think that's a pretty solid number, frankly. Then when the tank gets into the 200 meter range, that jumps up to just under 50%. This means tanks will fill a better sweet spot than before.

Honestly? It's a step in the right direction. I'm sorry your favorite class won't be tank hunters anymore. I get it feels bad to get shafted like that. But your anti-infantry abilities are untouched, and not to mention you still have some of the best MAX-murdering options. Your C4 is no less effective against sunderers, either. So you can still hunt sunderers. Honestly? You're still really useful.
    • Up x 3
  9. Reclaimer77

You have a chance to fight back now. If you can't see that, time to do something else.

Ninites cost you nothing. You didn't earn them, they were given. Something given has no value. You lose again.

The only people who think Nanites mean anything anymore are you BAD tank drivers who actually lose your tank before you can spawn another one. Anyone with half a brain and some skill can absolutely chain pull MBT's and we all know it.

Keep bringing up Nanites, nobody cares. Everyone else besides you knows the resource system is broken and needs to be fixed. It's a joke right now!

Time to Auraxium reading comprehension. Or maybe breathing all those diesel fumes leaking into your tank has damaged something...

I said I never bailed out of an aircraft to destroy a tank. I never said I didn't use my jetpacks!
  10. FateJH

Not all of them. Hell, if they all were deploy shields, I wouldn't have to turn around every third respawn and /yell, "Why does no one ever pull deploy shield Sunderers?!"
  11. Noxar

Your aggresion makes your posts worthless, as are most posts full of subjective ******** and biased as hell.
    Please keep trying to insult others, it shows your lack of skills for decent reasoning and having an actual discussion.

To all others: as hardly ever any posts appear from any of the people who make these changes, I'd suggest waiting till we find out what it's like. I doubt anyone in their right mind is getting anything out of these threads..

Good luck all, keep having fun playing the video game.
  12. Demigan

It outweighs one class perk, and it loses smoke grenades to almost everyone else who can do it for no resource costs and can resupply themselves, and the flash grenade is basically a weaker version of both the EMP and Concussion. Both of which take a bit of your vision, but in return also take away either your shield+deployables or your movement+turnspeeds+possibly invert your aim.

The Heavy has LMG's, ES Heavy weapon and overshield,
    Engineer has ammo, turret and sticky grenades (have to be named seperately because they are incredibly powerful),
    Infiltrator has hacking of terminals/turrets, recon dart/motion spotter, variable cloak, only one able to use the ultimate Stealth Flash.
    Medic has self heal/shield regenerator, heal/revive gun and the revive grenade (same as sticky, incredibly powerful). Although it has to be named that the health grenade is somewhat lacking.

Each has some teamplay element in them where they can help, except for the LA. All the LA can do is fly around. Yes it's incredibly useful, it's incredibly fun, whenever I'm not tanking I'm almost always LA and I recognize the power it can have. I'm so blinded by the LA's fun and useful jetpack, that I often even take it when I'm going indoors in area's where I can't even use it just because it feels naked otherwise.

I made a thread with a ton of idea's of others, Movoza and myself. It's a long read but if you love the LA it's worth it I think, especially after this new indirect LA nerf...
    https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/long-past-due-la-update.210601/#post-3075912
    • Up x 2
  13. MrNature72

I'm no pro player, but I do have 200 hours in Planetside, so I enjoy me some Planetsiding here and there.

I generally main LA when I run infantry, to be honest. It's really fun to jetpack around, and as NC, I have a menagerie of weapons to work with, from the awesome long-ranged AC-X11 to the meat grinder that is the GD-7F.

And yes, I understand that's the first level. Still, I don't think that makes you 'hard counter', so to speak. A soft counter, yes, and that's what Light Assault always should be. They should be a deterrence to tanks; Get too close and LA's start peeking out and chucking C4 at you. Enough of the buggers, and you won't make it back to your safe nest of engineers. But a single LA able to single-handedly gib a tank? Negative, ghost rider. That just sucks.

Anyways, when it comes to 'game mechanics', I believe I'm a bit more knowledgeable than a lot of people here. Not because of ignorance, but because I've had my fair share of balancing and dealing with game mechanics. It's tough work, and sometimes balancing something means giving something else the boot. In this case, it's your ability to gib tanks.

And the deploy shield thing? That's a good thing. It means they have an option to weigh out. Should I take something else and be effective in a different scenario, or take this to be effective against marauding Light Assaults? And even with the shields, bring some more C4 fairy friends of yours along, and poof, you'll still be able to gib that sunderer that keeps pumping zerglings into your base.

Now, I'm not going to try and argue with you, since you think using .gifs and making statements as if you win (with every response post you make) will somehow make us all bow down in glory, but I will support my own concepts. I would highly appreciate it if, instead of responding in anger, to respond with formulated counter-arguments to my idea. Calling me a 'bad player' doesn't really count as a solid argument.

Again, I'm sorry your Light Assault will no longer be able to tear tanks apart, but sometimes in the name of balance, some classes need to be shafted and others given a nice nudge up the totem pole. But like I said, Sunderers, MAXs, and infantry tarpits are still fair game for that brick of C4 you have in your back pocket.
  14. JudgeNu

Personally I think LA needs more jetpack fuel or increased vertical speed.
    It is just a pita especially in Hossin.
    Anyone agree?
    • Up x 1
  15. ronjahn

In real life only about 1/100 people run fire supression; that's got you worried? Majority of people use ESabilities, not fire supression and this change will likely not change that status quo.

I do have a gunner at all times when driving a tank. I Also have over 3800 c4 kills with the majority being vehicle kills. From my extensive experience as a tanker and c4 fairy, I can tell you that my opinion is that c4ing tanks is easy mode farming with hardly any risk and a ton of reward.

From a balance standpoint, my OP says that I was okay with 2 c4 deaths, but that doesn't mean my opinion of the skill and risk/reward involved in it changed..

I didn't ask for the nerf, I am just telling people how they can play once it happens.
  16. Reclaimer77

You said a LA wasn't meant to be a counter to vehicles. Those were your words. And you provided zero reasoning or thought-out explanation for why you thought this was the case.

Now unless I've been playing MrNatureSide 2 this whole time, the Devs are making it pretty clear you are wrong. That Directive wouldn't be in the game, and LA wouldn't have access to C4, if what you said was true.

Because....reasons I guess.

Says the person whos "formulated" arguments include saying something "just sucks" so it should be removed.....Wow ok.

I wasn't complaining. I think deploy shield is a good thing. I probably deploy 10+ Sundies whenever I play a full night.

I was simply stating a fact that your "go after Sundies" comment was extremely dismissive of the fact that Deploy Shield makes Sundy hunting a non-starter for Light Assault. And frankly I'm not so sure that a teamplay vehicle, so essential for promoting good fights, SHOULD necessarily be easily destroyed by one player.

And the reason I used that 'gif was because, come on, squads of LA's destroying armor zergs? You must have been joking.
  17. Selrahc4040

Just wanted to hop in to say that that is the first tier of the directive. Master Tier requires 300 vehicle kills, and I'm not sure about the other two. On the flip side, Heavy Assault actually has no directive for vehicle kills.

[IMG]
  18. task_master

I'm not gonna bother with this argument, but can't you just use the ubgl to finish burning tanks? I mean, we are assuming the tank will be burning after two bricks, right?

Unless you're thinking of using an allrounder loadout (i.e. not taking s carbine with ubgl, or not taking explosive crossbow) to kill vehicles from outside cannon firing angles like the ESFs you're trying to imitate.
  19. Leivve

You only run for a tank when it's a threat to you, otherwise you stay at your post shooting Germans while your CO holds a pistol at the back of your head.
  20. Azimaith

Actually dropping an HE shell or two within a kill radius of infantry is probably the easiest thing to do in PS2.

This is ridiculous. Every class needs to be able to counter vehicles in their own way, how hard of a counter they are is the difference.
    C4 is a "soft counter." It only works on tanks that are close to walls/totally oblivious, or stuck. You have to get right up on them to drop the C4 and you're in the danger zone for a very long time.

Rockets/AV turret/Mines are "hard counters" by comparison because they can attack from different ranges and a tank can be running, trying to maneuver, or otherwise trying not to die and you still have a solid chance.

This is a game where any class can come up against any target at any time. Restricting classes to "anti-tank" or "anti-air" is a stupid artificial noose on gameplay. Each class will endeavor to engage in a way that is most beneficial to them and the enemy will attempt to counter it. Its that simple. Should a tank do 1 damage to infantry and 1 damage to aircraft when it loads AP rounds because its "an anti-tank set up." Of course not. Its a big freaking gun.

Same with C4, its a brick of explosive and it does what explosives do regardless of the target.

The worst thing about the nerf is its not necessary. Tanks aren't dying in droves to C4, and when they do die, its because they're in C4's playground. Difficult terrain with lots of verticality and close spaces with restricted fire. You should always be endeavoring to evade these spaces. If combat forces you into these spaces you become extra vigilant, reposition more often, and understand you are in their territory now and you are at a disadvantage.

You don't have the right to "never die" in an FPS, doesn't matter how good you are at twitch aiming, how much you certed your tank, or how aware you feel you are. Sometimes you get bombed. Sometimes you get stuck and are a sitting duck, sometimes you overestimate your armor, sometimes you get caught off guard, all of this happens.

I can only think of a single instance of losing a tank to C4 and that happened not long ago when I was on Hossin.
    Hossin is rough terrain, lots of terrain to get stuck on.
    Strike 1.
    I was near a base we were besieging.
    Strike 2.
    I got stuck on the terrain and was unable to maneuver well.
    Strike 3.
    There was a LA nearby with C4.
    Boom, I blow up, the end and that kill completely and totally legitimate.

I could have:
    1: Not chosen a tank on a place I knew had rotten terrain.
    2: I could have remained farther from the base.
    3: I could have stayed on the road to avoid getting stuck.
    4: I could have abandoned my tank when I got stuck.

I did none of these things and any of them could have easily saved me.

By and large I've never seen or been in a tank that has died to C4 without it being due to a mistake on the tank drivers part with a LA ready to exploit it.

Your chance to fight back is to not put yourself in a position to be bombed. Its that simple. I can't even rationalize how you think a mine gives you a chance to fight back when you roll over it and go up instantly while a flying infantryman who can be spotted, shot, shows on prox radar, and takes six or seven seconds to drop 2 C4 and detonate it on you is somehow unfair. You know where LA's are going to be, you know how they like to approach, you know what positions make you vulnerable, you can see the freaking C4 dropping from the sky in third person view, what do you want, a fanfare whenever C4 comes within 10 klicks of your tank?

If you have a repair gun and you don't die immediately you're very likely to not be paying for anything other than 20 seconds of free repair XP. Dying to C4 comes down to driver error. You drove into an area where LA's can drop C4 on you and not be seen. You failed to check your surroundings, you failed to hear the LA jets firing.

Of course there are people who float over you and drop C4. What's your point? It's no secret that LA's can fly and that they carry C4. You know where they're going to be best able to approach you from because you drive a tank and I assume at some point you get out and play other classes. You know their jetpacks aren't infinite and you know if you are moving at a reasonable pace the likelihood of having 2C4 land on you is very low.
    • Up x 2