What are you doing to buff LA??

Discussion in 'Light Assault' started by LT_Latency, Jan 23, 2015.

1. vanu123

Higby stated in the test session he was putting those on hold for now until the secondary changes go through.
  2. Iridar51

I know, but the author of the post you quoted did not.
  3. Ballto21

"BUT MOMMY THEYRE NOT LETTING ME BE RAMBO SOLDIER WAAAHHH"-Light Assault mains

Tanks are large armored vehicles, should light assault have the ability to fight them?
    Absolutely.
    Should a single, lone, light assault who can approach tanks easier than any other class be able to do it?
    Absolutely not.
    A tank should easily equal two or three infantry if not more. You want to destroy a tank as a light assault? Get another light assault or a heavy to help.
  4. Iridar51

Do you have any basis for that statement other than just "because I said so" or "because it's a tank"?
    Prove that this makes the game more fun for all parties involved.
  5. Ballto21

This is a game called planetside 2, not super soldier side 2. When this game was being developed and even during the first while of its release the development team said almost everything in this game would need teamwork and there would be no super soldiers who could do everything. This obviously changed with heavy assaults getting really overpowered and light assaults getting c4, which essentially turned both classes into easymode farmers where the light assault is the second easiest class to use to sneak up to a tank and being able to turn into whack-a-mole where the moles get bombs jumping over a wall and farming infantry.

To go on to where i give you a reason for tanks equaling two or more infantry, a tank is a giant armored vehicle and costs 450 in game resources. One player should not be able to destroy this thing on his own, the cost is high, tanks are supposed to be hard to destroy theyre designed both in real life and supposedly in game to be able to take a ******** of damage before breaking. Then you give c4 to the class that can fly (just taking a moment to clarify im not a tanker, i used to play light assault a lot before i quit im speaking from experience) and it becomes no matter how situationally aware the tank driver is hell get c4ed eventually in the battle he pulls the tank with varying degrees of exception to the rule.

A light assault failing a C4 attack, unless the tank is running radar which i have only seen on very rare occasions, if almost always the fault of the light assault for making a stupid move. IE Approaching on the ground from the front/sides, not using proper cover, not waiting for the tank to be distracted with firing, not waiting for the tank to stand still, etc. Of course, sometimes its just the tanker being good enough but at that point congratulate the tanker because he hit a small moving target thats flying, and usually the only thing they can do unless theyre either lucky or master aim is wait for them to run out of jetpack fuel and then shoot them on the ground. Even then if youre fast enough as an LA you can drop the c4 on top before it pisses off, this is the only scenario where it comes down to which one is better at their chosen ways to play the game.

TLDR : if you have issues with killing tanks as a light assault this is the only time in the game ill say get better. One person should not have that much power in C4 and should need teamwork to destroy tanks, armor lines, and sundies.
  6. Iridar51

I appreciate the form of your post, I'd rather have a quest for truth than an insult-ridden argument.

That said, let me stop you right there. If everything needs teamwork, then tanking requires teamwork as well, correct?
    Both on small scale, where MBTs have both the driver and secondary gunner, and on large scale, where tanks are supposed to operate within a group of other tanks and/or infantry units, correct?

Yes, I agree, for a Light Assault it's usually easy to sneak up on a lone tank and blow him to bits. However, is it any different from, say, stabbing a lone infantry player in the back with a knife?

Let's start from afar.

Battles have front lines. This is a picture from my LA guide where I advise the LA player to run around the front lines and attack the flank.
    [IMG]
    Now, let's say that LA's intent is to perform a flanking attack. He gets behind enemy lines, and surveys the situation, lining up targets and planning an escape route. Suddenly, an infiltrator decloacks behind his back and stabs him to death. Who was at fault here? Overpowered infiltrator? Too weak infantry armor? Or the Light Assault who overextended into a risky and dangerous situation? I think we all know the answer here.

Flanking attacks have the potential to be very effective, that's why I recommend doing them. While flanking, a player can easily find moments of opportunity and score multi-kills on enemies not expecting an attack from that direction. However, flanking always carries a certain risk. Choose the direction of assault poorly, and you'll get flanked yourself by enemy reinforcements coming from another direction.

So, when a player tries to flank, but fails, overextends, and gets punished for it, should he really complain about the thing that killed him? It might not even be the said player's fault. You can't always know for certain if there are cloakers in the area, if there's an LA sitting in a camo on a tree, waiting for you to turn your back. Sometimes **** just happens. But when the player goes to flank an enemy, he's looking for trouble, that much is certain.

Now tell me, how many of the tanks that get C4'd were trying to perform a flanking attack? How many of those tanks had no allied units around whatsoever? How many of those tanks were deep behind enemy lines, far away from allied support?

You say that this is not supersoldier side, this game must require teamwork. But if you deny C4 the ability to kill tanks, this is exactly what it will become. Because a soldier in a tank will indeed be a super soldier.

Tanks that use teamwork are very hard to C4.

One infantryman is nothing. So is one tank. But if there are several tanks covered by several infantry units, attempting to C4 one of them is impossible. Frontlines are there for a reason. Going beyond them can be lucrative, but it is also risky.

And the nanite cost? Do I really need to yet again explain why this is a bad argument?
    • Up x 1
  7. Ballto21

Im going to start at the end and admit that the nanite cost is a bad argument in some cases but in this one i feel its neither good, nor awful. I think this because 450 nanites (assuming youre not p2p) is nine minutes of your time and 2x c4 is two minutes of your time. You are actually wasting someones time. But as I will admit this argument is not the best and hardly a strong one, i only bring it up as an afterthought. Hell id be fine if the cost of each c4 brick was lowered to 25 nanites if it meant you need four to kill a MBT, thus needing two light assaults.

Where you make a good point that flanking in a medium-large scale battle is difficult, i know this as well as the next because i main infiltrator with a side classed engy and light assault, in fact i think its the only time when the skill of the light assault c4ing a tank is in play.

That being said however, in larger scale battles both the driver and gunner of an mbt are usually looking at the bigger picture. Such as shelling a base, other vehicles, air, chokepoints, etc. The only real threat to the light assault is other infantry such as defense/countersnipers, stray engies, and AV MAXes. Of course everything else is a high risk too but these are generally the classes further back instead of on the front leading a push. This is when you have to be sneaky but since tankers get tunnel vision, especially in large battles, and even if they run radar they probably wouldnt see your blip among all the other crap on the minimap when you get to the tank you get to the tank and its gone. And yes, this is an example where you should be rewarded for doing such a thing, but its still very easy to do when you get the proper mindset and start to get the hang of it.

If anything, this change will make it even easier to flank. Think about it, is it easier to get behind enemy lines alone and risk fighting a large group of enemies, or to go in, two or three buddies with you, suppressed weapons calling targets all for the common goal of breaking enemy armor? Teamwork OP SOE plz nerf. This last sentence is going into opinionland, but i think itll be more fun for tankers and light assault like this because no matter how rambo lone wolf you want to be, youll almost always have more fun doing it with friends. Its more satisfying for a group **** YEAH WE DID IT than a WOO I DID IT ALL ALONE!

I guess being able to instagib a lightning with two c4 makes sense, im not sure how thats getting changed.
  8. MahouFairy

Stalin is right. Look at Stalingrad (sorry I had to xD) and other urban fights featuring tanks. Can you tell me what happened to them? Sending tanks into urban or densely packed areas without adequate infantry support is suicide. Don't complain about dying when using suicide tactics.