We lost 20 plus % population in one month.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Captain Kid, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Pikachu

Maybe interesting.
    [IMG]
  2. Midnightmare

Seeing as i havent played for the last month or two.

From my point of view its not any of the recent updates......the game just gotten less fun with eatch update.
    the buff/nerf wars being a major part of it.

but to name a few major game breakers for me....

1. the 90% HA population.
    I shoot medics if i see them !! we just dont have enough HA!

2. respawn system.
    the most important resource is completely free and your death or glory matters nothing! in view of the war.

3. Resource system.
    might as well just be no resources as it is.

4. alerts
    Ever felt like your team was doing something good, something kinda meaningfull?!?! well these game breakers will ruin that fun every time.

5. game performance of lately!
    had twice as many frames before the performance updates

6. lattice system = slow doom
    I know this will piss a lot of people! But yes the hex system was better since it game freedom and diversity.
    and Lattice is still a poor way to fix ghost capping.....talk about shooting flies with hydrogen bombs and then wonder about the fallout :p

7. Internal fighting......
    TR hates TR more than VS or NS combined. I would say the game lacks real leadership systems. to reward teamwork not to make it an internal outfit competition. (im sure this will piss a lot of leaders as well, and i hope so ! since the game isent fun as it is)
  3. Captain Kid

May I ask where you get your numbers?
    I'm very interested.

Because the link I used clearly shows a 20% drop between August 2014 and September 2014.
    AND like I wrote, last year there was actually an INCREASE in player numbers in September.
    (which you can't see any more because that chart only goes back one year)

Edit
    The only other source of information at hand for me is this website/chart:
    http://sirisian.com/planetside2/population.php?world=all&timezone=0

Which also shows the player drop in September 2014 compared to August 2014.

It doesn't show the player increase in September 2013 though like I mentioned.
    So if we use that chart it shows us we lost well over 40% of players in one year.
    (September 2013 - September 2014)
    And half of that (20%) in the last month alone..

But that chart is a bit skewed because it does not show concurrent users at the same time. It shows how many users have logged on in one hour.

In comparison to another f2p game which is actually two years older then PS2..
    Team Fortress 2 is actually doing better then ever! It started out at 17k players, went to 55-70k when going free to play and held that stable for two years and now is at 94k players!
    So it is possible for a f2p game to GAIN players over the years. Who knew.

Edit 2
    And to really put things in perspective..
    Daily peak players:
    Planetside 2 6k
    Euro Truck Simulator 2 8.5k
    Team Fortress 2 94k
    DOTA 2 850k

And I have read League of Legends has actually 2 MILLION (2000k) daily peak players!

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/
  4. Tyrant103

illuminati
  5. Midnightmare

Roll back the game to release it was 1000 times more fun back then.......and lets be honest about it hardly been any major updates that made the game any better besides the continents :p
  6. Pikachu

:confused:
    • Up x 2
  7. MotionBlured

A quick search of other MMO's showed me that EVERY GAME IS DYING! OMG! IT'S THE BEGINNING OF THE END!
  8. Midnightmare

well okey the harasser was fun but over powered for a few months but besides that!?:D
  9. Pikachu

I remember AA RL were p*** poor. MAX AV weapons were cr*p. Tower bases had idiotic design where vehicles would spawn in the middle of the room, constantly crushing people running around there. Enemy sunderers deploying inside tech plants and towers and amp stations. Rocket pods destroying tanks in 2 seconds, front armor. Jackhammer was worse than other shotguns. Flash would flip and explode from the smallest thing. Drop pods crashing into enemy and friendly vehicles, destroying them instantly. Magriders killed other tanks with ease. Nanoweave being superior to flak armor. C85 being more useless than ever, 1 shot in the magazine. Skyguard being useless. The Crown melting the brain of everyone.
    • Up x 3
  10. Midnightmare

hahah guess you dont see the joke but when you remind me!
    Im acturlly starting to doubt the joke! since i was kinda addicted to the game back then!

but cant be arsed to play more than 10 mins now before it strikes me.......im bored.

but no i guess i dont really wan that either but you kinda make me doubt compared to how much i dislike the game now.
    Compared to how addicted i was.
  11. Siilk

^this
  12. Ragnarox

Its Hit Detection problems that drive ppl away...why should i ply FPS game if i cant shoot and kill ppl. Its frustrating seeing when i shoot my full mag at someone and he/she dont even die....
  13. Pikachu

And in the summer people say that the populations go down because people are spending their time outdoors.
    • Up x 1
  14. WyrdHarper

I'm not particularly interested in Archeage either, but many of my outfitmates are. And from what I understand, the reason so many are really into it is because it has persistent territory ownership and PvP based around difficult-to-hold territories, combined with strong rewards for teamwork. These are things we've been promised for ages in PS2, which we're still really waiting on, and I think that's the main reason so many people are jumping ship at the moment. I think it would definitely be worth it for the PS2 devs to take a look and see how they've set up things for outfit management and territory control, because it seems to work fairly well.
  15. Klypto

Your borderline tactical source is highly flawed. All it does it count how many logins there were in that hour. As SOE continues to fix major crashing issues, the logins per hour will go down. Also, people typically play longer than one hour making it a terrible way to tell how many people there are playing the game at any given hour:

http://ps2oraclestats.com/other-stats/playtime/

Planetside 2 has a pretty consistent 60K-70K daily unique characters according to the number of unique characters killed on that day:

http://ps2oraclestats.com/daily-unique-tracker/?world_id=0

The only issue Planetside 2 faces with population is the retention of new players. They gain an a crazy amount of new players per day, but the average new character never reaches BR 8. The chances of a characters staying in the game only increase significantly once they reach BR 20+ (According to Malorn at 2014 SOE Live).

This is mainly because the learning curve in the beginning is more of a learning wall. The Tutorial is meh. It tells you the basics of some of the mechanics really does not prepare you for the player driven combat that is Planetside 2.

Also, the initial cert grind is absolutely horrible. You can't even unlock a basic scope for one gun without playing for a while and then you see that most weapons are 1000 certs. Support classes don't really get you certs when you start out because you have to invest certs into them to get certs out of it. Actually a lot of classes and vehicles are this way. It just don't work out well at all.

"but you can just run around and shoot people." Well, most of that player's time is spent trying to understand what they are doing. If they have a background in battlefield they might have a slight edge over a generic new player with cap points and etc, but other than that it's all very confusing with no explanation.

I still like Malorn's idea of "shower them with **** because it's not like we loose anything". Which is true. I mean, I've reached BR 100 over four times worth now, and I still don't have a lot of stuff unlocked. Giving a new player some stuff in the beginning is not going to end their cert unlocking.
  16. uhlan

Well, I've become more and more frustrated with the game so I play it less and less.

Archeage and Destiny came out recently and they're both crap. Hour long queues for Archeage (though it's getting better) and crap gameplay in Destiny, so those folks will come back.

PS2 on PC is just a "beta" for PS2 on the PS4.

Game play on the PS4 will be far more optimized (everyone plays with the same system) so the only handicap will be internet connection for most folks.

Im a "PC guy" so I won't be buying a console to play this game.

I can wait for the next big thing I guess.
  17. Wecomeinpeace

Lol @school...not only would that imply that the majority of PS2 players are school kids (well that one actually might be true), but it would also mean school starts at the same time everywhere on the world...is this a "There is a world outside the us?" moment again? Are you ppl really that dim over there? Also this very same "school" thing has been used to justify pretty much any change in population by now...lower pops? School started! Lower pops? School is over!
    Yeah, no way it could be because the game is crap or boring or a panopticum of unfulfilled expectations and promises...it's SCHOOL MAN! Or NO SCHOOL MAN! Or MAYBE SCHOOL MAN!

Personally i just went away from PS2 for good because i'm tired of the game still lacking, well, pretty much anything beyond battlefield in big. I'm tired of dev excuses and promises, tired of a beta engine in a beta test, tired of the BS attitude of the devs and ******* tired of the game going nowhere. But i'm probably the only one and it's just SCHOOL MAN.
    • Up x 2
  18. gibstorm

Destiny just came out,

People are grinding that game but they be back
  19. Ownasaurusrex

M
    My tagname is fulcrumrex in destiny
  20. Captain Kid

http://ps2oraclestats.com/daily-unique-tracker/?world_id=0
    Interesting link. Is there anyway to look further then 3 months?
    (the other buttons are greyed out)

What is your opinion on the data/site in my original post?
    http://borderlinetactical.net/rsnc/world-population/?world_id=0&zoom=5&totalpop=true