vx6-7 vs serpent?

Discussion in 'Engineer' started by bNy_, Mar 19, 2013.

1. bNy_

Which do you prefer and what attachments do you use?
  2. PaperPlanes

Serpent has a bit more rate of fire, slightly better ADS accuracy and a bit slower reload speed, VX has a bit better hipfire accuracy and a bit faster reload speed. Both do the same damage per shot and hold the same amount of rounds. The Serpent has a somewhat unique recoil pattern compared to most VS guns, in that it recoils up and to the left (meaning you pull down and to the right to compensate), the vast majority of VS weapons recoil up and to the right. This is still in contrast to a lot of TR and NC guns which recoil straight up.

In short, if you want to lower your TTK, get the Serpent, as it fires faster, but it's more of an ADS type gun (not that it can't hipfire well, but the most efficient use of the Serpent is ADS). If you want to feel less vulnerable when reloading and play more run and gun, get the VX. But also keep in mind the Serpent's different recoil pattern, if you have muscle memory built up to compensate by pulling down and to the left, keep in mind you have to go down and to the right to compensate on the Serpent.
  3. Kireles

Why not use a shotty? But IMO the VX6-7 is better for actually gameplay as bullet-hose weapons need to be reloaded a lot so you'll have a better time with the VX. Don't be swayed by the allure of the infamous "TTK".
    • Up x 1
  4. HmmOkay

as an engineer with almost auraxium medal on vx6-7 I can tell you it's good. I also doubted between the serpent and vx, but picked vx instead. i'm not sure why anymore, but no regrets. vx + hs/nv + silencer + laser make it deadly up close. have to say though, vx is not good on long range (as most carbines). I suggest you test them both in VR, but my vote's for vx6-7 :p
    • Up x 1
  5. Akordia

VX6-7 > Serpent in any situation ive tested.

Reload time of Serpent is insane.

Fast rate of fire + 3 sec reload time = Dead (if you don't put all the bullets in target)
  6. VanuSovereignty

I use the serpent instead of the VX for one reason, which many people seem to overlook. Recoil. The serpent has less recoil than the solstice and is really easy to control. If you want true run and gun use an SMG or shotgun. The worst thing about the VX6-7 in my opinion is the first shot multiplier. Having it at 3x kills burst fire.
  7. Veri

I use the VX6-7 and find it is a very nice weapon.
    But it is close quarter combat stuff.

So I use the advanced laser sight and night vision scope.
  8. Imposer

I have been debating the same thing, at the moment I am leaning more towards to the Serpent. Unless you are horrible at shooting the time it takes the Serpent to punch a few bullets through your enemies is almost no time at all. I like the V-X67's reload but the Serpent is closer to the SMG but with better range. SMG's probably one of my favourite guns in the game. It fits my gamestyle better.
  9. FnkyTwn

I'm usually a slower RoF kinda guy, but when it comes down Serpent vs VX67 I went with Serpent.
    It's really easy to handle for the amount of bullets it puts out and its pretty accurate even out past
    medium range if you burst it. Up close and at medium range its a monster.

I usually only use the INRV scope because its so easy to put all your bullets right in somebody's
    face. It's an absolute bullet hose and I've never really had an issue with the reload time.

On my LA I use it with two ranks of bandoleer, but with Engi bullets don't really matter.

I certed out Adv Laser, but have switched that out for Forward Grip since laser doesn't do anything
    for you in ADS, and I religiously ADS. I usually have Soft Point equipped, but I have no idea if it works.
    • Up x 1
  10. Koldorn

The lower first-shot multiplier is HUGE. Many people underestimate it.
    The biggest difference though, and the reason why I choose the Serpent over the VX these days; is the recoil on the Serpent pulls to the left.

Only two attachments I use are HS/NV, and Forward Grip. Occasionally, flash suppressor.
  11. Zapon

i realized engi is my most used class, and am thinking of eventually upgrading- tried the weapons out in VR, and still am doing so- the shotguns..did not impress me, the SMGs are okay , tho it seems like the one with more ammo is the go-to for that

-but the VX and the..serpent? Of the two, does either handle better at range? I see the post about serpent having different recoil,...but i'd like to not be useless at mid range. Long range, eh, i can put up with that. Short range....i guess i'd have to buy a shotgun and get used to it...and there's a lot of choices there....
  12. Evil Monkey

Neither. The VX-67 is better CQC as bullet hose guns need constant reload (and Serpent is not great when reloading)... but at the short-med range it is effective I have always felt I was better off with something else (shotgun, SMG) and for longer ranges ADS the default (or versatile GL version) is better.
  13. bNy_

It takes some time to get used to shotguns... However Pandora+Slug+ExtendedMag+4x zooms is by far the most superior all around weapon you can use as engineer.

I bought a serpent and I like it CQC, however what it can do my pandora can do... Difference is that Pandora obliterates everything in both medium and long range as well.
    • Up x 1
  14. JudgeDeath

VX has a better balance between attributes then serpent. Serpent simply gets killed by the monster reload time.
  15. Ruvan

VX over the Serpent, however, these days I am way more likely to go for a Sirius over either of those.
  16. Voraen

I have trialed both guns and the serpent was great in most battles but in the end, its slower reload speed was enough to make me buy the VX6-7 instead.:).

On a side note, if you enjoy using either of these guns then you might also enjoy trialing TRs LC2 lynx. That gun is an absolute BEAST weapon. I dont know how it compares stats wise with the VS carbines but the lynx feels like the vs serpent combined with the vx6-7 reload speed and a larger magazine. Incredible TTK.
  17. Alizona

I just paid 1000 certs for the VX6-7. I bought the hollow point ammo for increased damage, along with the forward grip to reduce recoil. I also bought the suppressor so I won't show up on the map when I fire and I forget which sight I purchased but it's the one that doesn't give any zoom but turns the view into a round green circle with the red dot in the middle.

I LOVE THIS WEAPON. I was having such a difficult time killing anyone with my default carbine, but instantly after buying the VX6-7 I killed three guys just like that, in a row. First time I fired it!! It's got way more damage than my old weapon and I feel more competitive now for sure. The hollow points probably help a lot in that regard. Since I'm mostly a repairman, I do almost all my fighting at pretty close range.

I didn't even try out the Serpent since the reload time was slower. But quite honestly, I don't find the reload time on the VX6-7 to be any different than my old carbine, and that was the one knock on it. It reloads plenty quick enough for me. And the recoil with the forward grip (never had one of those before) is so minimal and easy to control, it's just a dream weapon for me now.

I also like the fact that I no longer have the laser pointer thing. I always felt like that was a negative, since my opponents could probably see that red line if I was trying to hide in a corner near a generator to ambush them when they come into the room.
  18. Akordia

Tip 1 : you can disable the laser beam skin by pushing L

Tips 2 : put advanced laser, soft and hollow, and go to hipe fire
    • Up x 1
  19. KodanBlack

As a dedicated engineer, I have and have extensively used both. I like them both, with no complaints either way. That said, I clearly use the Serpent more. Both of them have advanced laser sights and softpoint ammo. I like iron sights and use them almost exclusively for all of my weapons. However, all of my guns do have the NV scopes unlocked if smoke or darkness become and issue.

I think that the reason why I use the Serpent is because it is a true bullet hose, with (seemingly) a tighter ADS pattern at medium range. I've never had any problems with the reload speed, as I go for cover while doing so. If I can't the Beamer has proven itself a few times. Being an engineer, I really don't have to worry about running out of ammo with such a high ROF weapon.

in the end, though? You seriously can't go wrong with either. They're both awesome in CQC and fully capable of medium range fights.

I hope that helps!
    • Up x 1
  20. Zapon

interesting

:sees beamer getting repped: whaddablahblahblaharhg :spits out drink:

this looks like good advice. I'll have to come back to this when i finally get rid of the default gun for the engineer- i can't seem to win gunfights with it.