[VS] CQC beast of an LMG...

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by faykid, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Crackulous

How does the recoil handle in comparison to the Orion?

I tend to prefer fighting from medium ranges, should I take a look at this gun?
  2. Konfuzfanten

The Pulsar is a bad gun. Its properly the worse Vanu LMG when you look at dps combined with accuracy.

If you want a new gun for mid range combat the SVA-88 is the weapon of choice.
  3. Mxiter

You might confuse with polaris.

The pulsar isn't as strong as SVA but is a decent gun for close to mid range.
  4. Crackulous

I already bought that. I'm no good in close combat, and the 88 seems to be lacking in this field. It can't excel all the time I guess. Thank you.
  5. Pie Chasm

Ok, I changed my mind.

You know what the best bullet hose of a gun in this entire game is?

It's the T9-CARV, the TR starting LMG.

It has the ADS accuracy characteristics of the Orion (pretty much, with a slightly lower first shot multiplier), only slightly worse initial hip accuracy, slower ADS movement and twice the magazine capacity.

Best of all, it has the same DPS!

Unlike the MCG, it doesn't sacrifice mid-long range and is actually a quite decent mid-range gun in its own way.

PS: I think it's still possible but you can have an unlimited trial of a gun if you keep doing it on a new character (i.e. you can try out the MCG indefinitely).

TR is the best faction for spraying and praying due to larger magazine capacities and good sustained fire accuracy characteristics.
  6. Pie Chasm

It has extreme first shot recoil. It is very hard to handle at mid-range compared to the Orion/SVA-88 and is basically a worse version of the SVA-88 in every conceivable aspect (bullet velocity, ADS movement), except for a .135 faster reload for short..... amazing, right?).

The SVA-88 is one of the easiest guns in the game to use due to the extremely low recoil and unlike the other guns with comparable recoil, doesn't sacrifice that much DPS to do it.

You already have the SVA though, so you know..

It's just impossible to upgrade from the Orion, i.e. it's nothing but sidegrades for the VS.
  7. Posse

FTFY ;)
  8. Erendil

If the Orion isn't an option due to the small mag size the next best LMG for CQC is the SVA-88.

The only downside the SVA-88 has for CQC compared to the Orion is a slightly slower RoF, which amounts to a .036s - .042s longer TTK, depending on the level of Nano worn by the target. But even so its TTK is still faster than any other VS LMG but the Pulsar LSW (which is the same) and the Flare if it has soft ammo (which is lower from 20-30m).

http://ps2model-axiom.rhcloud.com/#sttk/sh100-10-10/la/1.25/7276/22/7277S/7274

For CQC purposes, in exchange for a slightly slower RoF and a .02s slower short reload, it gets 25 more rounds than the Orion and access to the 2x Reflex sight.

The Polaris has the Adv laser and a 100-round battery, but its TTK is a little too long, meaning that a skilled opponent will kill you even if you yourself land every shot. Plus it doesn't have the .75x ADS movement that the SVA and Orion share.

The Flare w/ soft ammo is a decent choice too, but it has a Slower TTK than the SVA anywhere but 20-30m, no .75x ADS movement, a larger hipfire CoF when moving, and the OP thinks it sucks for CQC already so it's out.

And I wouldn't bother at all w/ the Pulsar LSW. The SVA-88 has the same damage, RoF, and battery size (75) but is slightly better in almost every other category that matters (ADS moving CoF, Hipfire moving CoF, reload speed, muzzle velocity, net recoil directional pull). In fact, the only advantage the LSW has over the SVA-88 is lower vertical recoil, but then the SVA-88 has access to the compensator which mitigates that advantage, and vertical recoil doesn't matter in CQC anyway.
    • Up x 1
  9. RockPlanetSide2

If you aim well enough to hit the head, the Orion is the best CQC LMG in the game, if you are a body shot person the polaris is better with more rounds for you to jack with.

IMO the Polaris is misleading in what it's description says (it reads like its an SMG with an LMG sized mag... it's not). Even with the ADVLS it's cone and bloom are standard LMG bad. You basically just cert the gun into an Orion with more bullets but less over all damage due to less RPM.

There is a very small window where the Orion will miss more bullets from cone/bloom than the Polaris with an ADVLS will, like at the end of a long room (nerd meters aside)... but, 99% of the time the Orion is a better hip fire weapon.

IF you are not killing other heavies with the Orion when you are both shielded it's 1 simple thing... you are not hitting them in the head... if you hit the head there is NO DEFENSE IN THE GAME from the Orion... they are dead in less than one second (shot-guns and explosions aside).

But, IMO...
    Honestly tho if you just want to be TRUE CQC... the Eridani smg with Extended Mag > Orion... they have similar CQC stats, but the Eridani has a better cone, less bloom.... you get less bullets, but the reload on the Eridani is about 1 second in reality. I am talking about being in the same room with somebody as well tho, outside of that, the Orion is better.
  10. Jovisfulmen

Any weapon kills fast if you hit the head...
  11. Scientiarum

Extended mags with Flare actually gives you 150 bullets and the lower fire rate means you can spray for a very extended period and still have slightly better hypothetical DPS. It is definitely better for suppressing fire lanes (as long as you are in fairly close quarters) than the Polaris, however, the Polaris with advanced laser may have a very slight edge if you hipfire. Still the Orion is superior for cqc in most cases if you just HAVE to use an LMG, but if you really just want to get up in people's faces I would choose the Nova shotgun with extended mags, that is enough to take out 6 people, 4 at minimum, before reloading.

I find the resist shield really compliments the Polaris well because it allows you to tank a lot of damage over time which is a necessity for the Polaris. If you want something with a higher ttk than the polaris to fill this role and you don't want an extended mag flare you'll have to settle for the pulsar lsw which is a fair hipfire weapon and equally effective at mid ranges while ADSing. It is really the only other viable option for this role and it works fairly well, comparable to the Polaris but utilizing a different play style. The SVA-88 isn't junk in cqc but it isn't that good either. The Ursa is useless in CQC, that is the price you pay for getting the most range capable LMG available to the VS.
  12. Posse

Why would you use the Pulsar for hipfiring? It has the worst hipfire COF while moving (3.5) of all VS LMGs.
  13. Erendil

Yep, both SMGs are great for CQC and equal to if not outright superior to the Orion due to their small hipfire CoF. I personally prefer the Sirius since it has a comparable TTK at all ranges to the Eridani but essentially has an extended mag built-in (6250 dmg/mag vs the Eridani's 3575) so you can grab the adv laser with it to get insane hipfire ability.

I agree with just about everything you say (though I prefer the Pandora to the Nova). However, your comments on the LSW and SVA-88 are puzzling. For CQC the SVA is flat out superior. It has the same mag size, damage, and RoF (and thus TTK), but has a .75x ADS movement, tighter CoF on the move for both ADS and hipfire, and faster short reloads. I can't see why you'd recommend the LSW for CQC and then dismiss the SVA when the latter is the better option.
  14. eatcow0

Here is my recommendation for a lmg in order based off my ingame experience
    1) Orion or Sva-88; best 2
    2) Pulsar lsw; still a beast
    3) Ursa or flare ( ursa rewards accuracy)
    Love-hate: ns-15m
    Hate: Polaris

This is coming from someone who mainly plays heavy assault and has auraxium with all 7 lmgs.
  15. Lagavulin

Hmmm, I have used both the carv and orion fairly extensively, and would say the carv is nowhere near as good as the orion. The MSW-R is, however. The extra mag size of the carv is fine, but I'll take a better weapon over that any day. How often do you really need a bullet hose anyway? Plus don't underestimate the benefit of the 0.75 movement rate.
  16. Pie Chasm

Dude... no ****.

I never said it was better or even comparable to an Orion/MSW-R etc.

He wanted a bullet hose. I gave him one. To be a bullet hose you need a large magazine capacity. 50 (Orion/MSW-R) doesn't cut it.
  17. Scientiarum

Hmm... I was going on memory. I haven't used the Pulsar LSW since last spring before the lmg balance pass. I didn't think they changed the fire rate for any of the lmgs though... perhaps I was just plain wrong. Either way you are right. The only difference that might effect it is the recoil pattern, but even the ability to compensate for recoil shouldn't put it over the tighter cone of fire for the SVA-88. I'll have to test.
  18. Ohmlink

Edit for misreading, for the most part the SVA is your best bet for mid to close range combat, losing a bit in each area but making up for it with being able to perform in nearly any area. There is not contest on what LMG you want to use unless you want to specialize.
  19. Lagavulin

Well okay, but I was arguing that it might be an idea to forget bullet hoses and get used to a 'better' gun.
  20. KnightCole

Gotta say, I join the bandwagon saying the VS54 Orion is amazing. Imma slap a laser and 1x on mine and go to town lol.

only 50 rounds though lol..ugh.