Viability of 2x > scopes

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Laraso, Apr 19, 2013.

1. that_darn_lurker

Low rate of fire rifles, especially with compensators, are generally fine to use higher x scopes with. In fact, I as just testing this out this morning. For VS, just to name a few, the pulsar c, vx polaris, battle and scout rifles. I think the Ursa too. That said, most infantry combat takes place at short range, so you have to really be in the right situation.

Also, since the last patch, battle and scout rifles aren't worthless anymore. Try them out in VRTraining with the 4x and 6x scopes. With 4x scopes I can rapid fire hit a target now at 100m without the screen shaking all to hell. That said, like all long range combat, its still situational, but at least now they seem preferential over the lmg and carbine alternatives.
  2. randalthorr

The moment I put on a 2x scope on the NS11C, I started sucking. Ironsights all the way.
  3. Bill Hicks

I know this sounds insane, but I use my long range scopes not just for shooting.. I use them to get a accurate idea of what is going on. With your 2 x scope you might not see the sniper your target. You might not notice that the sunderer peeking behind the rocks.
  4. The King

The reason it is how it is, is because, at lower magnification or 1.
    It's normal to move at such a speed you're used to.

When you zoom in.
    Your mouse movement is either the same or slightly slower, depending on how your settings are.
    But if you keep it the same movement, it still wouldn't matter.
    It is showing the recoil at greater detail.
    Like it is when you're at 1x mag.

Thing is, they do NOT want to make the recoil smaller.
    Then it wouldn't make sense. This is how most games do it.

If they put your sensitivity higher when zoomed in, then you probably couldn't aim too well.

So.
    Recoil is the SAME.
    Zoomed in, mouse is slower in a sense to get precision.(It's still the same speed. But add in the same amount of recoil, but magnified, you would have to put down much more)

It would be highly unrealistic if the recoil was a less when you zoom in.

If you want it to be "normal" for you guys.
    Set your sensitivity to very high when you're zooming in.
    That way, you cannot aim too well when zoomed in, yet, you can control your recoil.
    (an inch movment to the right with 1x mag will be the same as 1 inch movement to the right with a 6x mag. However, it's magnified so on your screen, it looks like it's 6 inches)
    Think about it. You would need to increase your sensitivity. As of right now, because this is what EVERYONE wants.
    1 inch movement to the right with 1x = 1 inch movement to the right.
    1 inch movement to the right with a 6x = 1 inch movement to the right within the magnification.
    Think about it.
    You still moved that same 1 inch, yet, you moved a lot less when zoomed in.
    That doesn't make scene.

THAT is why it is how it is.

Making the zoomed in recoil LESS than the 1x would be HIGHLY unrealistic.
    Which is the standard in most games.
  5. Tekuila

The SAW iron sights are awesome.
  6. ladiesop

I play with higher scope sensitivity, so for a 3.4 scope I only need to move the mouse as much as on the 2x scope.

That said, I barely use scopes anymore. I find the 2x reflex is good enough for the longer ranges and anything more hurts close up.
  7. Roland2TowerCame

I use > 2x a lot, usually when I know it'll be an open field battle, otherwise I just hipfire, or ya know, aim.
  8. Fenrys

For scout rifles, they decreased the recoil but increased the rate at which the cone of fire expands, as well as increasing the base cone of fire while moving.

The screen shakes less, and it is easier to keep your crosshair on the target. However, your bullets still fly all over the place, so its not really any more accurate than it was with higher recoil.
  9. Darlith

I think a lot of it depends on your vision. I know I can't see targets at longer ranges without using a 3.4x or better scope. I certainly can't pick them out accuratly with the iron sights on a SAW. I use the 3.4x for longer engagements because it seems to be just enough magnification to see targets at the ranges I can concievably shoot them without making too much sight jump on shots.