Viability of 2x > scopes

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Laraso, Apr 19, 2013.

1. siddar

I basically agree with OP that scopes above X2 are mostly useless. But I do see some uses for them.

Iron sights, X1, X2, IRNV all decent general purpose sights.

X3.4, X4 are for weapons with small hipfire CoF and laser pointer to reduce CoF even more. You use sights when at range and use hipfire for CQB. Yes SMG is a good example of a weapon to put a X3.4 scope on.

X6 is a long range scope you use it to play sniper and to spot things ahead of you before they spot you. Dont bother with burst fire beyond two shot bursts just try and plink enemy to death.
  2. NikkoJT

No issues with 4x on my NC carbines. I use the TrueShot so there's no problem with concealing the enemy, the crosshair is helpful for drop compensation, and I've never found recoil to be a huge issue. Of course, the 2x reflex is better in close quarters, but I've never found the 4x to be anything like as crap as you make it sound.

Using a 6x on a weapon like the Gauss SAW strikes me as counterproductive, though. The NC6 has ridiculous spread and kick even with ironsights, I don't know why you'd put a scope on it beyond 3.4x. If you really must try to snipe with it though, I think it has a semi-auto mode which may help with your recoil issues.
  3. X3Killjaeden

Absolutely. The only thing where i unlocked 6x, 4x and 2x and use all is on the Warden. 4x was the first unlock on the SAW, but its horrible for me. Yes single shots are easier but who the hell does that? You would be better playing infiltrator with semi auto sniper.
    I'm only speaking of LMG's here though, i never even tested the other magnifications on AR or Carbines
    • Up x 1
  4. Tnsr

This game is the first shooter ever where I mostly went back from 4x or 2x to ironsights. I never used to use ironsights.
    Dunno why, but the higher the magnification gets, the more strange the bullet behaviour at least feels and looks. May have to do with stealth changes to the lag compensation and that warping enemies warp even more the closer your vision gets to him.
  5. AtroposZero

Whooooop! Whooooop! Braap! Braap! Braap! Hyperbole alert! Hyperbole alert! Warning: remain at least 50 meters from this post; unknown amounts of ridiculousness may be radiating from it and prolonged exposure may affect your health.
    • Up x 2
  6. Fenrys

It depends on the weapon and your most probable scenarios.

When playing support I use a 3.4x, Compensator and (Advanced) Forward Grip most of the time. When supporting an organized squad, I try to watch the longest angles I can find.

As HA, I mostly use an iron sights Orion + S1.
    Nemesis AA loadout uses an iron sights SVA-88 since if I'm shooting at aircraft I'm probably outside and the 88 has longer effective range than the Orion.
  7. Elrobochanco

I only use 2x or lower typically, and if I'm doing anything "longish range" I use 4x, but that's only because it's where I can get a simple crosshair instead of a dot that obscures targets' heads.

Really this game needs scopes above 2x like it needs flashlights. Not even a little bit. They are holdovers to trying to match design to a game like bf3, but without the ranged fighting lethality you get in that game. The only "useful" thing to do in this game is taking bases, and if you are running higher magnification you are as good as dead in those situations, or just being useless off to the side.
  8. 13lackCats

TMG and 3.4 Scope.

6x is too much, but 3.4 is good.
  9. Sledgecrushr

I love the low recoil carv. But I generally only use a 4x truesight on my BR. Everything else gets a 1x-2x sight. <---plays as NC
  10. Suiciderunner66

Reflex on everything but sniper rifles. Works for me in pretty much every situation I get into it.
  11. PLooschacK

You noticed that with 3,4 ZOOM your bursts were twice as long?

On both my long range LMGs - Gauss SAW and TMG-50 I use zooms 2x, 3,4x and 6x and I appriciate all of them. While Iron Sight is more than enough for firing and stationary target, I find them to help me a lot against moving targets as I can make a better judgment on my bullets velocity and how far ahead I have to aim to actually hit the target.
  12. Pengalor

I use the 6x on the ac-x11 because I'm a masochist and I like using weird combos. It's actually pretty great once you learn to control the recoil.
  13. Laraso

I didn't have to burst as long using ironsights because all my shots were hitting the target. When I shoot once and miss every shot after that I have a tendency to hold down the trigger a bit longer in hopes that I'll still manage to get a consecutive hitt.
  14. Laraso

I use the 6x on my AC-X11 too, but I do it because I use the AC-X11 like a battle rifle. I always fire it slowly semi-auto, so the screen shake doesn't really bother me on it.
  15. Ayre

I use the highest magnification scopes on my SMG.

We don't get binoculars and I don't ADS with those anyway, might as well. :V
  16. Pengalor

I still keep it full-auto : P. I find I can fire off single shots when I want to in full-auto mode so I feel the switching between the two would be too cumbersome. Then again, I still use it in close range, the 6x is not as disorienting for me as it seems to be for some others.
  17. Laraso

Have you tried the 3.4x Tact-Eye? It's basically a TrueShot with less magnification and a circular scope. I use it occasionally on some of my slower-firing weapons when I'm finding myself fighting at long ranges constantly, but usually I'm just using ironsights.
  18. X3Killjaeden

On top of that, the 1x and 2x scope have pretty large points that obscure the target. It varies between guns, Anchor has the worst 1x scope in my experience. The blob is very huge, so it's a guessing game where your target actually is in certain situations. But its ironsight is bad as well. I recently switched back to ironsight on my GD-7F and the GR-22, they have pretty good ironsights and feel more precise than the big red blob.
  19. NikkoJT

I've tried using circular scopes, but the loss of vision in the corners doesn't agree with me. I prefer the more open feeling the box provides.
  20. Rown

I use 4x scope and laser sight on my Orion. Makes it very versatile, and the Orion has low enough recoil to use the augmentation comfortably and not need the foregrip.