Vehicles you would like to see added

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Sticx, Mar 19, 2015.

1. Sticx

Just a little brainstorming fun, what vehicles would you like to see added to the game? If possible give a link or picture on what made you think of that particular vehicle type.

For mine, I would like to see a mobile artillery piece. Something that you can park, and lock down, to provide large firepower over a long distance. The artillery round would be incredibly slow moving, with a HIGH arc, making it so you can rain fire down behind walls.

This would also require scouts (light assaults & infil's) to be able to carry a lazer spotter or some such. So that the person in the artillery can properly gauge the angle needed to fire at.

[IMG]
    • Up x 5
  2. Tommyp2006

All I want is a tiny little air flash.
    • Up x 5
  3. sustainedfire

I want a big Hummer delivery truck.

Room in the back for at least 4 rumble seaters, and an open air manned turret.

Guns and rockets blazing everywhere, a fun, multi player vehicle.

Basically I want a useful Valkyrie, though ground based.

And I want a useful Valkyrie.

!
  4. Ronin Oni

Artillery is out.

You can't hit what isn't rendered/known on your client. Engine limitation.

They also said they don't want artillery from a gameplay perspective anyways. That was when Higby was in charge, but I doubt that specifically has or will ever change.

I want to see those ES buggies just cause they talked about some cool new ES abilities they'd have... also that Collosus tank because dedicated tank driver whining would finally stop. (and due to Magrider design it's impossible to implement now for MBT's unless VS just "got the shaft" and left out.)

More than anything though, I want the ANT. Not for the vehicle itself, but rather for the gameplay systems it'd be used for.

Otherwise, I think vehicle roles are pretty well accounted for honestly.

Humvee sounds kinda cool, but honestly I think you're better off taking 6 players and grabbing 3 wraith flashes with HA's on the back, OR grabbing 3 harassers OR 3 MBT's, OR just grab 1 battle bus and drop/off and pickup the 3 passengers as needed.

Sure, it'd offer a lil variant on that, but not worth the dev time (3 months) IMO.
    • Up x 1
  5. sjtw_w_stot

[IMG]
    • Up x 2
  6. Dudeman325420

I wouldn't say that, it worked just fine in PS1, just swap the main gun to the top and the secondary to the front.

That was the main advantage of the Magrider back then. Driver got a gun, even though it was pretty crappy and stuck to the front.
  7. Fry_Poncho

I want all of ColonelChingles ideas. If you want to learn about them, they are links to them in his signature.
    • Up x 1
  8. Iridar51

I'd like some sort of fast, mobile one-manned AV or AA vehicle. Not a tank, but more like a motorcycle or small hover platform. Sort of like a Light Assault in the world of vehicles :D

Examples are police bike in Crime Killer (PS1) or NOD rocket bike:
    [IMG]

And Sparrow in Destiny:
    [IMG]

I guess the purpose of this vehicle is already fulfilled by Harasser / Flash, but hey, a man can dream.
    • Up x 2
  9. vanu123

I'd like to see the VS finally get a true MBT.
  10. Jake the Dog

Dont you hate my swagrider i wreck all the mbts with that s***. Dont try to brawl the vanguard you're going to lose, if you're trying to out dps the prowler you're gonna have a bad time
    • Up x 1
  11. ColonelChingles

A few categories I can think of:

Command and Electronic Warfare Vehicles- These would be unarmed or very lightly armed vehicles that benefit friendly forces through non-combat features. For example having a command vehicle in reasonably close proximity to a base could cut the capture timer in half, meaning that the defenders would have to hunt down and destroy command vehicles. EW vehicles would scramble map information (number of enemy troops), would disable minimaps within a certain range, and would have a constant EMP-effect at close range.
    [IMG]

Logistics Vehicles- These would transport much-needed nanites to bases (when the resource revamp comes in). Since everything at a base would require nanites (even spawning infantry would drain nanites), these vehicles would be constantly needed. They would become targets during a siege, sort of like a mobile objective.
    [IMG]

Mine Layer and Mine Clearer Vehicles- Could be the same vehicle to ease up on confusion, but this vehicle would be effective in laying larger numbers (though less damaging) of cloaked mines. The same vehicle would also be heavily mine-resistant, capable of driving through a minefield to clear a path or setting off an anti-mine charge to clear all mines in an area.
    [IMG]

Engineering Vehicles- These vehicles would be able to construct hasty defenses and fortifications using the nanite pool from the nearest friendly base. They could plop down destructible wall sections or even Phalanx turrets. They could also "recycle" destroyed vehicle wreckages to reclaim some nanites.
    [IMG]

Radar Vehicles- These would simply be vehicles that had radar coverage... think a Scout Radar but much larger and only revealing vehicles. These vehicles could also significantly extend the range and accuracy of nearby friendly missile or flak units.
    [IMG]

Bridge, Jumppad, or Ladder Vehicles- These would extend a ramp (vehicles) or jumppad (infantry) to negate the usefulness of walls or terrain. Pretty basic, but if it means that you can drive a bunch of twin-Kobalt Sunderers onto a point, more power to them!
    [IMG]

And those are just the non-combat support vehicles. ;)

Hehe. :D

You could have it so that the artillery round isn't fired by the actual artillery vehicle... but is instead "fired" by the spotter. Because targets would render for the spotter, then the spotter would be able to hit the target. Sure the artillery piece would look like it would be firing to the artillery operator, but the actual "shot" would spawn from the point of view of the spotter.

Alternatively each artillery shell would be like a deployable (think an AT mine or C4). These would be entities of their own, so they could detonate far from the artillery piece.

Really artillery would be great combined with destructible bases, so people will learn that the best way to win a war is not to cram infantry inside a base, but to be aggressive and secure the area outside a base. Since at least WWI we have learned how terrible and stupid static warfare is, and the real glory is in modern mechanized warfare.
    • Up x 1
  12. vanu123

I enjoy the magrider in that it is fun to drive, I despise that it is the only tank that can't trade blows like a normal tank.
  13. Clay

[IMG]

I want flying dragon mount.

Higby pls.
    • Up x 2
  14. Hunstad

It's not a new vehicle, but I would love to see Planetside 2 have tank desant be capable on lightnings and MBTs.
    [IMG]
    Practically just rumble seats on top of the tanks, for a convenient mode of transport that isn't exactly safe.
  15. Jake the Dog

My last 7 days of vanu would beg to differ...
  16. Jake the Dog

Also for my suggestion: more tanks.

ES heavy tanks, the only caveat they have no top gunner, require a driver, with a coaxial (optional) kobolt and a main turret similar to the current tanks, IE NC gets railgun vS get some plasma cannon, TR get some rapid fire autocannon.
  17. Leftconsin

NO.

And Higgles no works here no more.

Might as well ask for a Squiggoth.
    [IMG]
    It just needs more DAKKA.
    • Up x 2
  18. Demigan

I've had idea's about that. You can deploy the artillery and instead of having it fire manually, you provide support for people who can then use a target painter with visible laser to designate targets. So after deploying you can leave the Artillery and it will automatically fire at painted targets in it's range. This prevents any shelling of spawnrooms from safe distances as the target-painter can be killed, and it's the render range of the Target Painter that's used to determine if it's a hit.

Alternatively you can make all shells count as mines, which can detonate and kill even if you are at the other side of the continent. Since you are firing at an unseen target there is no bad feeling if it counts as a miss due to server latency etc, and at the same time this server latency gets you accidental kills as well.

Ofcourse, clear-cut systems to prevent blindfire on Spawnrooms and other area's need to exist. Still, if you deploy your Prowler with HE shells in front of a Spawnroom, close your eyes and randomly start shooting at the Spawnroom, you won't be getting much kills anyway. The same would count for Artillery, you would shoot, but due to range, shell flight time, the limitation of AOE and perhaps recoil there is no guarantee that an enemy is even there when the shell lands. You can add shell whistling sounds in the area it's going to impact in as a warning, add a "charge-bar" system that determines the projectile speed every shot, meaning you need to charge it up exactly right to fire at the same spot again adding a slight skill to it etc.

Planetside 2 is one of those games that is almost build to have artillery added into it. Preferably as a support platform that can be called in by players in the area (think of a orbital-strike but one that enemies can prevent by killing the player with the target-painter or the artillery).

For those who haven't seen it:
    [IMG]

And here is my personal favorite:
    [IMG]

2 top-wing mounted walker/drake canons, 2 side-wing mounted drake/walker canons, 1 rear-mounted Shredder turret, 1 Dalton-like side-mounted turret and 1 Chaingun side-mounted turret (press X to switch to other side of Galaxy). No squad-spawn, no automatic ejection seat!
    Ofcourse, some sort of limitation needs to be put in for these things not to dominate the entire game...

Another one I would like to see are "Vulture" variants of the Valkyrie. Basically light gunships for close-air support, which will hopefully take over ESF close-air support. ESF would rather get drop-bombs instead of highly accurate reticule-fired weapons.

[IMG]

Also, I really, really want MBT AA Primary weapons to be added to the game. The Skyguard is mostly an anti-ESF weapon platform which needs to become a more skillful weapon but that's another discussion. The MBT AA primary weapons could be viper-style canons with little to no drop. They don't fire flak but actual tank-shells designed to take out aircraft armor, so they deal great damage against Valkyries, Galaxies and Liberators (thus this would be one of the counters vs the Galaxy Gunship). By reducing the shell velocity the fast ESF can evade it's fire easily, making it a powerful tool against everything but ESF. Filling the gap that the Skyguard leaves, which is mostly useful against ESF (and even that lacks tremendously due to limitations in killing power vs ESF escape capabilities) but has trouble dealing with the heavier aircraft.
  19. LodeTria

No, they should be fixed to one side and force the pilot to actually think about how he's going to engage ground forces rather than not at all.
    • Up x 1
  20. OldMaster80

1) A useful Valkyrie.
    2) The ps1 ANT (with all the resources system).
    • Up x 2