Vehicle Hacking Potentially a Go ( In the future )

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HadesR, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Taemien

I don't typically like using new players as an excuse or argument. A new player is a vet in about a day or two. This game isn't that hard to figure out. And the game is 3 years old. All new player arguments should have been made in 2012, its 2016.. its a little late to bring it up now.

As I said before. Useless LA's blowing up useless tankers will be joined by useless infils hacking.

Why are they useless? First of all, what the hell is the tank doing to get C4'd/Hacked? Farming a spawn normally. What's the LA doing to C4 or the Infil to hack? Being useless to his team by not getting that point back.

I mean doing what they do is their way they want to play and they're more than welcome to be as useless as they want to be to others. They really are free to do so.

I just don't want to hear the whining, the b-tching, and the moaning when they come across someone who isn't being useless and their flimsy tactics don't work.

Let's look how Turret hacking mechanics work currently.

Infil hacks me out of a turret. If he doesn't immediately get into the turret. I shoot him in the face. If he does get into the turret, I mine it and blow him up. I'd imagine if I was afk or looking at the map and got my vehicle jacked.. something simialr would happen.

There's going to be a ton of whining from infils about this. But hey.. they take down a vehicle if they get close enough to someone. But they're likely not, and will go on about how their cloak isn't invisibility. Yet again.
  2. Diilicious

the turret hacking thing, thats a different kettle of fish since the turret can not move once its hacked, if somebody hacks your tank and you magically get thrown out of it they just get in it and run away then blow you up.

I actually think sunderers and skyguards are more in danger of being hacked than anything else. moving around and jerking the camera around makes shooting aircraft almost impossible with any degree of accuracy, turrets take what 3 seconds to hack? skyguard wouldnt stand a chance against this really.

unless they use that decorative turret that beeps when it spots somebody.
  3. Demigan

Because I think that it's too easy for infiltrators to approach and hack a lot of vehicles unnoticed in too many scenario's. Think about infiltrating places where people are gathering tanks, resupplying their ammo, are standing still etc. Also, it's a lot easier to approach tanks unnoticed as infiltrator than with any type of LA, so I would think that stolen vehicles would instantly be the primary method of losing vehicles.
  4. Mezinov

5. Demigan

You do realize that this would mean that the one stealing the tank then has to use that tank in a tank battle?

Also, if infantry got more lethal against tanks you could remove those ridiculous walls, and vehicles would finally stop using AV 95% of the time and actually need those AI loadouts.
  6. Demigan

Nope, every single unit in the game, be it infantry, tank or aircraft, should be able to counter the others.
    Infantry, being overall the cheapest and easiest to come by in larger numbers, should of course be the least lethal overall and have the most counters (such as the vehicles movement, vision, superior range&firepower and superior gadgets). This does not mean that infantry should be segregated and have no way to deal with vehicles aside from pulling vehicles themselves.
  7. FateJH

You really don't think Infantry individually, let alone in groups, are dangerous enough against armor yet?
  8. Iridar51

Bail assault is gonna get a new friend!
  9. Savadrin

PLEASE LET THIS HAPPEN I MIGHT EVEN PLAY MY INF AGAIN.

I WILL SHOOT YOU WHILST YOU THOUGHT YOU WERE SAFE TO REPAIR AND BRING BACK AN ENDLESS CHAIN OF VANGUARDS AND MAGRIDERS FOR MY SQUAD.

I wasn't even expecting to find good news on the forums today, I hearts!
  10. Demigan

Nope, otherwise those walls would never have been necessary! Also, if infantry was so dangerous... Shouldn't tanks be taking AP more often?
    Yeah, this is for a large part a fault of the AI weapons available. A good AV weapon is almost as good as the AI loadouts. Nevertheless, infantry has a tough time fighting back against enemy tanks in many cases, which is why many bases eventually got completely walled off to prevent vehicle interference, in the few bases where vehicles can fire into the base despite the walls, players still complain about the huge influence these tanks have (and they aren't exactly wrong).

If infantry could actually fight back hard enough that A: Vehicles require AI loadouts and B: The walls aren't necessary in the first place, then the game becomes much more fun for all parties involved. Please note that the "vehicle require AI loadouts" would mean that those AI loadouts get buffs and specials to make them unique and powerful enough so that AV weaponry is hidiously underpowered compared to them when going up against infantry, as it should be.

Edit: I mean that infantry should be powerful enough to go toe-to-toe with vehicles while on the ground. Infantry has lots of AV, but it often lacks the range and is only capable of going up against vehicles when they are on high ground. Conversely, vehicles are only capable of really going up against infantry that are on low ground, and have tremendous amounts of trouble fighting infantry on high ground. By adding things like co-axials and better elevation you could remedy this. On the other hand you could add weapons/change weapons like lock-ons to be simple propelled grenades that have a straight arc instead of a missile drop, this removes the "no skill" part of ground locks and gives infantry better ranged options to deal with tanks. With a limited enough damage output and slow enough rocket it shouldn't be OP like Lancers, and teamwork is still both capable of taking down tanks despite this needing more skill to use than locks.
  11. FateJH

The walls were necessary because - this is going to bother at least some people - the person who designed the original form of first three continents was bad at it. It was so bad that there was no non-trivial way to fix the issue except just walling the whole mess off. Even now Indar is still getting revamped environments.
    The said interference of complaint didn't happen when Infantry were actually fighting the tanks and that's always been the problem. The culture of combined combat previously established destroyed the difference between the outside of a base and the inside of a base, which allowed the weapons with have more threat, e.g., tanks, to flourish by shooting into the more compact region. Infantry couldn't actually focus on Infantry things when Infantry things mattered to them.
    Who gets to make that call? or, rather, what's our measure? How much harder should Infantry be able to fight back against tanks as they currently exist?
  12. Mezinov

When my Outfitmates reaction to a wild tank entering the battlefield isn't to run at it with their C4 out, and instead is to seek cover, I will consider tanks dangerous enough against infantry.

I am aware this is the exact opposite as what you asked, but felt it was corroborating evidence.
  13. HadesR

I think another reason might come down to cost and people are worried they might lose their X resource vehicle and someone might get to use it for free ...

In every other scenario it's gone and no one is gaining any benefit from someone elses resource spend ..

For that reason alone .. As a non-vehicle users I'm not sure being able to Hack occupied ( by a Driver ) vehicles sits well with me ..

Now if someone is running an MBT 1/2 or a Harasser 1/3 and they swap to the secondary weapon seat.. they should be fair game.

Maybe they will add a Anti - Hack when occupied defense slot item and / or have a resource cost for Hacking ..
    • Up x 1
  14. RainbowDash9

why not a ten second hack to kick the player out, so you can possibly kill him, and then another 15-20 second timer to sabotage the vehicle and cause it to turn into a big bomb that has a 5 second timer, beeps crazily, then blows up anyone and anything within a 10m radius. and by anything i mean ANYTHING. goodbye armor column lol.

or of course, if the infil is killed by the engie, he just has to wait 10-15 seconds to get back in and continue on his merry lil way.

i mean lets face it, infiltrators dont do much infiltrating. and how badass would you feel sneaking up behind a group of tanks, kicking him out, killing him, sabotaging the tank and blowing it up and a few other people who were too close. AND LETS NOT FORGET THE HACKING XP. 75 base xp for hacking him out, and 150 for sabotage, plus however much for the actual tank destruction.

thats my lil on the spot idea, feel free to rip it to shreds :p
  15. Crayv

They have been sitting on this for a while.

I ran across this thing on the test server a long time ago...

Ever noticed when you spot a faction vehicle it calls out the faction it belongs to? It never does this for NS vehicles like lightnings or sundies.
  16. Diilicious

also, you just KNOW there will be outfits or just single friends passing each other their tanks from different factions. I cant wait for pm's from random people like "yo, can you get me that sweet vanguard? :p "
  17. Pelojian

not necessarily, i fully expect people if they can hack occupied vehicles to steal them then drive off and destroy them in smaller battles and in large ones to make a clumsy attempt to tank.

the difference between now and vehicles being hacked while in use is the enemy has to use resources now compared to using the enemy's resources.

there should be overlap infantry, tanks and air should be able to damage each other, that's not the issue, the issue is infantry already has the tools to deal with air and tanks (RLs in numbers, C4, bursters or pull their own vehicles) and are asking essentially for a C4 v2 to steal occupied vehicles using a class that can cloak.

hacking occupied vehicles is not fair gameplay on a class that can cloak not even if there is a defense slot item, infantry will target tanks regardless of loadout. they don't go 'oh that's a AV tank' they go 'cert pinata i'll C4 that'

if you can't hack occupied vehicles then there is a reasonable way to counter infiltrators that relies on the skill of the tanker and not some defense slot item that only bad tankers will use.

infantry have the tools for AV work the problem is they are always asking for more AV tools when the ones they have are fine(fractures excepted) and their real motive is to try to get even more powerful AV tools to make vehicles even less relevant.

you should not be able to steal occupied vehicles, if you want one removed C4 it, use RLs, pull your own vehicles with your own resources.

infantry should not receive more solo counter AV weapons as time passes merely because they cannot apply C4 in a situation and are too lazy to try and learn how to use other counters that are not infantry based.

there are plenty of arena shooters out there, this is not a SP game or an arena shooter, it's combined arms that means that some counters are supposed to be in a different category of play.
  18. LodeTria

Well it says "enemy transport" or "enemy gunship" when you spot them, and their icon will be coloured either red as enemies or whatever you set it as.
  19. Crayv

Yeah it says enemy transport but it doesn't say "VS/TR/NC transport". Yet spot a Magrider and it says "spotted a Vanu magrider" as if there is a non-vs magrider.

Hopefully we be hearing "eyes on a Vanu Prowler" in a few months from now.
  20. Scr1nRusher

This is some RTS level stuff.

Awesome.