Ultra Settings Improved My FPS

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by BLKThumb, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Neodrauka

Best to just leave the in-game Ultra settings as they are while SOE works on optimization. All this .ini tweaking will just need to be work-shopped again afterwards. As for some of these settings, setting to 0 is the same as setting to off, each incremental number pushing the scale towards ultra settings that are coded into the game. The GPU Physics is disabled by default as it's not fixed yet AFAIK.

The only real tweaking that's going on here is just like what I used to do for Skyrim on lower end rigs, changing things like draw distance, shadow rendering and lights / occlusion. Also tweaking the GPU's control setting for individual games can yield better results.
  2. Iksniljiksul

Does not work for me.

You have to realize that a couple of those ini settings are backwards where 1 is the highest setting, 3 is low. I've played with the whole ini file, so many of the things I have on 0 is what boosted my fps (shadows/lighting). My game looks like dog**** and I still can't play it large battles nor fly, but at least I can get something done here and there.
  3. OldMaster80

I believe some of those numbers are not recognized by the system, so the game applies default settings. The game looks definitely worse for me, no surprise I get better FPS.
  4. StrawberryClock

Wow, this trick actually works for me and my friend! What is this, black magic?
  5. Jourmand1r

GPU phys should be 1, op is wrong.
  6. Dubious

Ill tell you why
    Cause during whole of tech and closed beta, the game got optimized for ultra and high

I gained 10-30 fps by going from medium to high
  7. Pr0ph3tx

I have everything except shadows maxed.. Shadows I have at medium to get that xtra couple of fps boost. Are you saying if I max shadows I'll get more frames lol?
  8. SireJoe

Am I the only one who got a system broadcast warning about hacking and that my account could be deleted after making these changes?
  9. jiggu

Everyone's getting those, they're global, not related to your settings. Also they have nothing to do with changing config settings, they're talking about hackers/script kiddies.
  10. MaddBomber

You didn't change that one setting? There is the one that says ThisUserischeating, that should be a 0.
    • Up x 1
  11. SireJoe

:p It was just bad timing. I had not seen it before and when I logged off, logged back on 5 mins later I immediately saw it. A coincidence.
  12. Jestunhi

FYI all, 5 is not the ultra setting, 4 is.

My settings are:
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

:edit:

Best way to increase FPS?

Disable shadows altogether:

ShadowQuality=0
  13. Festral

Wouldn't it be better to set max FPS to 120?
  14. TheEvilBlight

The bottleneck for some monitors at max rez is 60 Hz, or 60 cycles/second, or 60 frames per second.

And of course, how much frames your GPU will support. MaxFPS can be set high, and it's unlikely you will ever hit that wall. If you set it too low...
  15. Jestunhi

This.

With my monitor refresh rate there's no point running my graphics card harder and hotter than my monitor can actually use.
  16. TheEvilBlight

That assumes that your machine can consistently put out 60 FPS at all times. More likely than not it'll be somewhat below during peak rendering?
  17. Jestunhi

It assumes that I don't want to go higher than 60fps.

It's a limit, it has to be set somewhere. If I set my max FPS to meet the lowest FPS I encounter then I would only be limiting myself in every other part of the game.

I set the limit to the highest number which I gain benefit from.
  18. Kich

These settings have improved my in combat fps from 40-50. I turned off motion blur though. Surprising since shadow quality is set to 3 whereas I used to have it at 1.
  19. irishroy

where can i find the "document" to edit it?
  20. Assist

This is assuming that he is using v-sync. If you're running v-sync then your FPS is capped at the refresh rate of the monitor(most likely 60). However because of changes in the game, you will more than likely spike below that 60 FPS at some point since you're capped at 60 by v-sync. This is why people attempt to push their fps to 80-100+ because when you get the dips in your graphics or those high load areas then you will not drop below the 60FPS threshhold. Basically since you're always above that 60 fps it keeps the game looking smooth.

So while people will tell you it's not important to get more than 60 FPS, they're generally wrong because most users know by now to take v-sync off for gaming unless they feel they're getting bad screen tearing.