Two-year anniversary, 12-year shelf life?

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by RykerStruvian, Nov 10, 2014.

1. VonStalin

impossibru.
    although GTA V has plans to add first person view when it will came out on PC, no one knows how it will turn out on multiplayer. It might be open world FPS.. big one.. if it will.
    • Up x 1
  2. Targanwolf

In two years...this game will have a population 4x the current size of PS 1.
    Neither the will nor the resources exist to change or fix it.
  3. XenoxusPrime

Obviously you are going to ask this question if you have no problems with the bug ridden title.
  4. patrykK1028

You cant make mods to MMO game...
  5. z1967

Depends on the player count. In Planetside we have hundreds of players on one map. Arma is huge, but the player counts per server are much lower than PS2. I have high doubts that GTA can beat planetside in pure player count.
  6. Paperlamp

Ent gonna happen.

I give it 2 more years at best before it's basically dead, maybe 3 before officially dead.
    • Up x 1
  7. Whatupwidat

I always thought 12 years was overly ambitious - but I can see the game going for another 2-3 at least.

Hopefully that'll be enough time to learn from the mistakes so that Planetside 3 is PHENOMENAL because IMO they only /just/ missed that with what we have now xD
  8. WUNDER8AR

12 years was that an actual official statement? wow, just wow.
  9. Champagon

I hate to be a naysayer/"the sky is falling!" kind of guy, but Paperlamp is completely right. Look at this game and TELL me it isn't already in milk mode.....#ellipses
    • Up x 2
  10. Paperlamp

Milk mode is a great term for it hah. I'd say it's been there for awhile.
  11. VonStalin

If you think PS2 is broken then you should not bring in Arma. Arma is the definition of broken.
  12. SpaceZeal0t

Smedley has got some pretty high expectations for a game just reaching its second year with already most of the servers merged/shut off.
  13. WorldOfForms

But PC isn't the main platform for PS2. Consoles have way bigger audiences. PS2 has been planned to have PS4 as its main platform since the beginning. The PC version is a beta test for PS4. Just look at how the game was released unfinished, and we keep seeing massive changes that usually only happen in unreleased games. And we STILL don't even have an actual planetary conquest end goal, which was in PS1 from the very beginning.

Will the PC version last 12 years? I highly doubt it. PS1 lasted less than that (yes, it is still online but nobody is playing it), and PS1 was WAY, WAY deeper than PS2.

The only real chance for us PC players is if the PS4 version takes off. Then we might see this game last a decade. But realize that after another 2 years or so, we are all going to be on one server, and it will become difficult to find good fights, even at prime time.
  14. z1967

Arma works sometimes. It has its own unique issues which make it very different from PS2 in that regard.
  15. Maelthra

But is PS2 such a money maker that it would justify a remastering like the Halo series is getting? I'm at least skeptical.

That's not a mod, at least not a community-made one. The Halo series is being remastered by 343 Industries. It's coming out tomorrow as the Halo Master Chief Collection. I know what I'm going to be doing for the next few weeks at least ;)
  16. patrykK1028

But its only for XBOX?
  17. Maelthra

Well, yeah, Halo is one of Microsoft's cash cows, so it only comes out for Xbox. Well, except Halo CE and Halo 2 came out for PC, but I think that's it.
  18. TraatAdmiral

And they suck on PC. Well, Halo 2 does, anyway; CE's OK. The problem here is that the collection only comes out for Xbox One. Your awesome gameplay time also requires the ever-watchful evil eye. :(

I figure SOE shouldn't be too upset about people hating on the XBONE on their forums...
  19. Boggloam

For those who are curious they had a lot of odd/different ideas about what PS2 was going to be:

http://john-smedley.livejournal.com/2412.html

I was going to copy/paste some funny ones but the text gets all weird when I paste it here.
    • Up x 1
  20. Morti

Sadly I'm skeptical of the survival of planetside 2 too.

Can't deny that I've had a blast so far, though.