[Suggestion] Tweak or removal of HA Shields

Discussion in 'Heavy Assault' started by Pooliscool, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Pooliscool

This is going to meet a lot of resistance, I'm sure, but it's really something that needs to be discussed. It's been a long time coming.

The Heavy Assault is, right now, perhaps the most lethal class in the game. Perhaps the only thing that can overcome them right now is out-ranging them with a Sniper Rifle, blasting them away with a Shotgun (which isn't a guaranteed counter to a HA.), going MAX or grabbing a vehicle. If they're getting shot? They'll just turn around, turn their Shield on and shoot back, because dumping a mag into them just doesn't kill them.

The shield coddles and rewards poor performance. The Heavy Assault already has the best tools in the game, they needn't be secured by a Shield.

The LMG is a superb gun. If the Orion, the MSW or the Anchor/Gauss weren't suiting, they have the option to the NS-15, which is a good gun in its own right. It suits most environments, whereas most Carbines and Assault Rifles sit upon extremes.

They are they only class that can deal with aircrafts, as well as tanks in a consistent and more desirable effect than hoping someone'll come behind them with C4 and blow them up. They are also designated to oppose MAX suits with their Rocket Launchers. If they are out-numbered or they've no interest in getting into a gunfight with one person, they can blow them away too with said Rocket Launcher. It is a one shot kill for all but MAXes, which will still tear through their armor like tissue paper upon hit, that can be re-stocked from a friendly Engineer, a Sunderer or in spawn. It is more controllable and sudden than a Grenade, which cannot be replenished by a Engineer's ammo box.

I am not saying get rid of the Heavy Assault, because they have a useful role. I am saying do not baby them.

Perhaps remove their Shield, or make it so that it has a wind-up that is cancelled if they take fire, and cannot engage it if they have recently taken fire. That way the better shot will win, and will remain a fair environment for infantry combat, not 'who has the most Heavy Assaults, MAX suits and vehicles' (though the last two will likely be an unfortunate circumstance for this game).
    • Up x 3
  2. Onhil

This is an Idea people have been talking alot about. And that it shuld get into the game, but the devs dropped the idea because it's actually a terrible idea. I also wonder how people have problems killing HA. Yes I play HA all the time, but whenever I play another class I kill HA easier than I kill HA as a HA
    • Up x 3
  3. Pooliscool

Have they said how removing a feature that allows someone to survive a magazine's worth of bullets (mid gunfight while they're being shot no less) is a bad feature, or is that just the end result of forums?
  4. Asageh

[IMG]
    • Up x 12
  5. Vivicector

Oh, forget about it. All those HA will whine, that LMGs are bad, HA is bad and its all so easy to kill them. Devs were talking about wind up time and it was even in patch notes some time, but they dropped the idea. Cause some people are too bad to play without 1.5x HP bonus.

HA: the most mindless class for the most mindless people.
    • Up x 8
  6. sixoo

i think without ha shield , we now should have half the population, 1 server and a more dead game. i prefer more ppl and take my heavy vs heavy from time to time.
  7. Plastikfrosch

Ever heard of
    1. Carbines: Lynx, GD7F, AF-4A Bandit, Serpent, VX6-7??
    2. Assault Rifles: T1 Cycler, Cycler TRV, TAR, GR22, carnage, HV-45, Terminus???
    Those are CQC weapons for LA, engy and medic that make it possible to not only survive, but also kill the heavy in a 1v1 because no LMG has a faster TTK as those weapons and especially the LA has the best chances to flank the heavy.
    And on long to midrange i am the biggest fan of the NS11a/c because of the extreme laser like acuracy and the 0,75ADS speed multiplier and this combination will give you a fair chance to kill heavys on those ranges because only the NS15m (and the Bull - but is does not have the 0,75ads) has the same acuracy but a lower rate of fire.
    So if you are not willing to change your weapon from an allrounder or long range weapon to a fast killing CQC weapon you will not be able to get rid of a heavy in a 1v1 to easy (but thats the reason why heavys exist --> they are the HEAVY class).

Yes the NS15m is a high precision weapon but all classes (except for the stalker) do get access to theire own NS weapon (NS11a/c) which have both a higher rate of fire than the NS15m wich has (with only a few exceptions like the lasher) the longest TTK in the LMG/Carbine/AS sortiment. I killed heavys using the NS15M while i was confrontet on mid/mid-long range face to face while i had my NS 11c on my engy (ok i have full certed nano weave on him, but still an engy).
    And if you take the carbines and AS out of the green list above you will be able to kill an NS15M wielding heavy relatively easy in close range because of the extreme good ttk of those weapons.
    • Up x 1
  8. Rhumald

Here's an idea: give the heavy more health, and no penalty to movement speed for popping the shield, but, give the heavy a default movement speed penalty (like, 10-15% instead of the 25% with shields currently), make the shield last way longer, and make the shield only effective against vehicle based munitions.

In effect, define it's role.
    • Up x 3
  9. Czerń

I'd say - remove Adrenaline, keep Resist as it is, turn NMG into anti-vehicle only (MAXes included) and increase it's refresh rate a lot, give heavies additional 100-200 shields and constant movement penalty.
    This way heavy would have great defense against both infantry and vehicles, while not being overpowered and frustrating to fight (no more I'm-going-to-win-anyway NMG when ambushed, and Resist Shield would still provide an upper ground against non-heavy infantry when used with caution).
    Then we can talk about bizzare LMGs balance and low rockets' velocities.
    • Up x 4
  10. Dualice

I'm in two minds about the HA shield. It is supremely frustrating, facing an HA opponent, knowing that your aiming and positional skills are superior to his, and the only reason he beat you is because of his bigger health pool.

BUT. This is not a run-of-the-mill FPS. If it was just a glorified team death-match (and some would argue that, in its current state, that is more or less what the game is) I might be more inclined to cry for the nerf hammer. Fact of the matter is the heavy assault provides tactical and strategic importance for assaulting, or even defending forces. You NEED units that can take a bit more of a battering to spearhead assaults, man defensive lines and so forth.

That being said I'm pretty sure a lot of people main HA not because they're being mindful of the strategic significance they're providing their faction, but because they believe they'll have less chance of dying.

I dunno, I do often get the feeling they do just a bit too much. Just my two cents.
    • Up x 2
  11. qiray12

Just show us some ways why u think the HA shield is so OP.

Give us pictures or videos that show that HA is so OP in YOUR mind.
    All those that splatter due to a HA most likely just were out of place or just engaging completely wrong.

And to vivicector how do you think LMG's are so OP? Do you compare them with pistols or what? A lmg has the highest equip time, worst hipfire, longest reload and the biggest sway. Idk what weapon is worse then that but id trade my LMG anyday for a sweet *** assault rifle. Higher ammo count doesnt win in trades.

Yes there are things that are abusable with the HA cus they are so versatile and easy to solo with.
    If you have trouble fighting them just say you want medpack, restopacks and regeneration implant gone on the HA this makes much less solo.

And for those that defend HA we should make a QQ threat about how strong and easy LA is and infil or how easy cert grinding is as a medic or how stupid the MANA turrets are in this game. You want those classes to get a nerf or tweak? NO!

If you still claim a HA is OP pick it up yourself and fight in a battle how YOU think it should be played but i bet when you got some hours with them you dont claim them to be OP anymore.

If you tweak the shield give us a lower amount of health but double the regen time, wich in my case would the shield even better but ye maybe thats just me.

PS: the windup ******** you said in the start makes like 0% sense hope you know that.
    • Up x 2
  12. Skiptrace

Ok, here's my 2 Nanites on each shield type.

Nanite Mesh: Just out-shoot the noobs who use it, and watch the kills go up. High ROF guns work wonders against NMG. Though, Nanoweave (My preferred way of running NMG) would kick in quicker, and would possibly nullify the high ROF low damage guns.

Resist Shield: The hardest to counter, Explosives, and low ROF, high damage guns work well, along with high ROF Shotguns (Auto Shottie, or Claw)

Adrenaline Shield: LOL, you actually think this is a shield? this is placebo effect at it's finest. Adrenaline is like Resist, except worse... If I had my way, i'd remove it and replace it with this.

Nanite Shield Projector: Projects a field of nanites around the Heavy Assault in a 5m radius, shielding anyone around him, absorbs X number of damage or lasts for 10s, regenerates over 25s (Max level) from min.

This would give HA more group utility (Rockets, and a personal Shield are, not GROUP utility)
    • Up x 2
  13. Scr1nRusher

You really don't understand how much things would get screwed up by what you are suggesting.

Combined with lack of understand & bad perspective..... this thread is just concerning.
  14. Scr1nRusher

Your whole post is just an attack on the class & people that play it.
    • Up x 6
  15. Scr1nRusher

How often do you aim for the head when you play infantry?
    • Up x 1
  16. KoRneY

Adrenaline Shield would be useless to someone with .56k/d. You actually have to kill people for it to be useful.
    • Up x 6
  17. Vivicector

Your posts are a proof of me being right.

Good players won't be affected much by the change, since they have brains. Poor players, that are now only saved by popping the shield when being shot... They will suffer. As they should.
    • Up x 1
  18. Pirbi

I think medkit chugging is the real culprit and people blame the shields. But if I get a drop in a HA and spend a mag plus secondary and they are still running, they are cheesing with medkits or I've had too much caffeine. The 'good' ones will then turn and try to shoot as you reload. It's also supposed to be the assault class. So getting caught out in front of one can't be expected to be easy.
    • Up x 2
  19. Scr1nRusher

How am I proof?

I called you out for attacking people that use the class & the class itself.

and your doing it again.
    • Up x 5
  20. ATRA_Wampa-One

This.

Put a 5 second cooldown on medkit's and then see how things shape up before nerfing HA.
    • Up x 2