TV Guided UAV with 300m Fuel Range, 30 seconds of total cover per clip, only for one faction.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by St0mpy, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Duff_Chimp

What if SOE were to nerf a2a missiles? Would you cry even more then? It would be like kicking a crutch away from an old man...
  2. UberBonisseur

3. St0mpy

Who cares if the MAX shoots it, it only lasts for 6 seconds and maybe the next one WILL be an explosive salvo, but as a UAV no, shoot what you like, can just fire another, and another, and another.......

Its already too late by the time its in the air, shooting it down is pointless, the UAV doesnt even have to be aimed at anyone in particular, max or not, just fire it, scout the landscape and make plans for whatever is on its way.

Ah good, from a different angle. I think we can co-exist? Ive been banging on about this since yesterday, glad to see im not the only one on the same page..

TR but the UAV isnt suggested for us. Its being released for the NC in a few days. You can view it here.

EDIT: stupid forum breaks twitch links youll have to cut and paste it.
    Code:
    http://www.twitch.tv/las0m/c/2050655
    Check out 1m24 and 2m31. 6 Second scouting time, 300m fuel range, 400m effective view at least, if there was a sunderer behind that purple rock he would not have seen it without firing up the UAV and thats totally not what the weapon was introduced as.

Its a completely uncountered advantage as far as I can see.
  4. Lepalose

Remember these things from PS1... I have to say I hate that they are bringing them back again. I hope they do no damage to infantry, or to MAXes.

Obviously an exaggeration of the matter, but I still remember days on Solsar in PS1 of being unable to assault bases because of the swarms of Phoenix missiles taking out *everything*
    • Up x 1
  5. Otulien

He's being sarcastic, Hawk.

This weapon is being implemented, for the NC. Soon.

See here: http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/march-empire-specific-rocket-launchers.82999/
  6. RageMasterUK

I think its great!
    Even more roles and kill opportunities for infiltrators!!!
    Killing NC Phoenix users is gonna be so funny... cant wait for the youtube vid.
    "Knife Killspree on Phoenix Squad" I can see it now.
    Such stories will be something that the VS and the TR have in common also :D

Like a little gang where NC isnt invited :D :D :D :eek:
  7. BengalTiger

Just like anti-vehicle turrets are food for snipers?
    The person in rear seat of a Flash can use their weapons, turrets are stationary.

BTW- the Vanu get a nasty AA gun; the demo video by las0m shows the Lancer can kill a Mosquito in about 2 fully charged shots, it's dead accurate and hits nearly instantly.

Farewell, purple Bursters and Skyguards.
    Farewell, Mosquitoes and Reavers.
  8. St0mpy

Thank you for being honest. Since im not NC my words not worth as much as your own on this. I hope you dont mind if I quote you?

I dont want to spoil anyones fun, I would love for us all to have something cool in our launcher but its the simple inequity of giving it to only one faction while skimping down the others to be less useful (the TR Striker doesnt even better the skep/crow ttk already released).

If this is the new gold standard of releases then I dont think ill be here much longer. I dont mind differences but thats a huge sanctioned bias favouring only one side.

I could deal with mountain mags, that was just an extension of their skill but free UAVs for one faction only is giving me major anger, quite unexpectedly too since I really like this game and the effort the devs put in.
  9. BengalTiger

Well, we won't be able to snipe high speed fighters or very distant AV MANA turrets with this, so the VS also get a cool (or should I say overpowered) toy.

The TR got the short end of the stick, or so it seems.

Nevertheless, my outfit will be using these to gather intel and cause chaos just as much as for conventional killing, or even more.

Ever wonder what it's like to see behind the hill, count the numbers and types of enemies, see the direction they're facing, check if they're busy with something or not and all this without even climbing half way up?
  10. St0mpy

Yep exactly, I would say thats outside the scope of what was intended for a launcher, but then, ingenious use of a device is the mother of invention, perhaps we'll (infiltrator sound a good fit) all get a deployable remote drone one day (yeah right, i can dream)
  11. Desann

welcome to the REAL planetside. Phoenixes drove me NUTS in PS1, but hey our lancers could snipe aircraft/infantry/vehicles from crazy distances.

Its called unique weaponry. Every faction needs DIFFERENT equipment. Not same stuff for every faction with a different color scheme.

one thing people forget...an NC firing a phoenix is SNIPER BAIT!!!!!!! ;-)
    • Up x 1
  12. GaryGibbon

TBH, I do not care about this pointless bickering about asymmetrical weapons, clogging up the forums with QQ.
    If anyone wants me to, I can take each weapon for a spin in the VR Arena and come back to the forums to deliver the verdict. One of the advantages of being a 4th factioner (spread out across different servers) is that you can see what is OP/UP and what is QQ.
  13. Sirisian

Why? I played PS1 since launch and asymmetric balance was shown to be impossible in an FPS environment. It was an interesting test to see if RTS balance could translate, but it couldn't when every unit is controlled by a player. Having different graphics for the 3 launchers and particle effects would probably be sufficient. NC would have a coil gun, NC would have a triple barrel anti-materiel rifle etc. Simple additions that would give players 3 choices and impart perfect balance on the combat. Not to mention for those of us that are faction loyal we don't have a reason to empire hop. This was a huge issue as PS1 aged is people jumped empires frequently to experience the whole game since playstyles were reserved for one faction.
  14. St0mpy

this isnt going to be resolved unless we all get a fireable uav, the tv is nerfed somehow or we can pick up enemy faction weapons for a time

personally I think it would be fun to make a 4th resource, enemy weapons, attack the right plant, cap it and bust open the stores to find what weapons were in transit at that point and equip them as temporary weapons if we want
  15. Nocturnal7x

Flash radar is better.

/thread
  16. Shaolungbao

i don't mind imbalance in different areas that are strategically thought out both offensively and defensively for both pro's and cons.

the problem is the huge imbalance in cons when you compare these, not talking about "not as good as".. lets just focus on can and cannots..

VS: no guidance (lockon or camera),

NC: immobility during post firing, no change in usage for CQC, rocket can be shot down

TR: immobility during pre firing, immobility during post firing, cannot use cover during usage, no dumbfire mode, no change in usage for CQC, cannot attack infantry, cannot attack Maxes, warns target

No TR should buy this steaming pile.
    • Up x 2
  17. ChaosRender

Why do the TR have to be immobile? The Striker is an Annihilator on crack, that can kill tank in just over one reload to the rear armor. So saying it is worthless is like saying every lock on launcher in game is worthless.

The NC get a launcher that is marginally better than the default launcher, as it is basically a Engies AV turret but with no ability to see the person standing in front of you.

And the Lancer is a great whack a Mole launcher that lets you hit pretty much any thing you want with little chance of missing, all ofr the cost of a lock one timer that requires no Lock.
  18. St0mpy

copied from another thread:

A short debate [..] and we've figured out that the NC get a hybrid of:
    -UAV for scouting.
    -Indirect fire guided artillery
    -Something that makes the Engy AV turret not OP against tanks anymore except for very long range shootouts
    -A way to talk with low speed Liberators even beyond the reach of the dumbfire (which is some 50-100 meters, depending on the player's aim)
    -A decoy- it's possible to shoot down this thingy, so enemies will be busy while our Reavers and Liberators close the distance and line up their crosshairs with the sources of all the exploding tracers
    -An extension of render distance by 300 meters
    -A new tool that gives not much warning to the enemies
    -MAX hunter from behind cover
    -Engy turret killer with 100% accuracy
    -And finally, combine it with a Wraith equipped Flash.
    We pretty much don't care it'll be the worst in raw damage output due to reloading being delayed by the flight time.

Yeah sounds really marginal, i like it, marginalise, right :)
  19. Shaolungbao

Are you serious? you must be NC.. only NC can have something good and still come and whine like the world has ended.

NC/VS get new vehicle killers. NC will be destroying anything within 300m of any structure. VS will be destroying anything, anywhere that they organize.

Both NC/VS now have a counter to vehicles behind cover. Both VS/NC can further use cover to their advantage.

TR get nothing new.. just a repeatable annihilator that's more annoying to use. We will kill the same targets more efficiently if that's even possible next to the other weapons already able to destroy bad drivers.
    • Up x 1
  20. ChaosRender

Most of those will not be possible based on the video that was posted, or if they are possible they can already be done by other weapons.

The AV turret will still be better at hitting things in cover at close range or that require harder turns. The biggest strength it has is the artillery style launch Its use as a UAV is a bit moot as a wraith flash with Radar is far better at finding sunderers and well every other enemy with in 100 meters.

Yes I am mostly NC and I will happily give you my camera crap for a striker 1 hit killer. You can move while you get your lock I do it every day. The striker is a Anni and desimator all rolled in to one with very few down sides. Oh no they have flare give up 1/5 of a rocket to get them to waste it because they don't know you have 4 more ready to go a few second later. And if it is a tank or sundy they better have smoke and be running for cover or they are screwed.

So yes I don't see the down side to the striker because they are just as easy to over come as any of the current launchers are to over come.

As for the Phoenix it does not preform very good for any thing but artillery style fire and you are sniper bait while doing it.
    Now once it goes live if the NC launcher is so OP as you all fear then I hope they just remove it, and leave the other two.