TTK is too short, make it longer SOE

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Blackweb, May 3, 2013.

1. PliskinAJ

I will have to agree with you on that one when its purely a 1v1 fight.

I think improving latency would be the best option but that really isn't possible on Sony's end. The longer the TTK though the hinders good positioning by groups. If my group is in a bad spot they should be mostly wiped out from a group in a good position. If the TTK is increased most of my group can regroup and return fire. Instead of a quick mid/long range fight. I now have a longer close/mid range fight because people can take a few extra bullets.

I personally like how PS2 had a no nonsense way of punishing people who are not moving smartly. PS1 was ridiculous on how long you could last in the open. I could start getting hit and not care. I had at least a few more seconds to get in position. Med up and move on. PS1 had to have this tho because there was near no cover to move to they made up for this by making TTK higher and a near instant bloom on when you shot a weapon. This also ended up with the great tower battles where 30 guys on top of a stairwell were shooting down on 2 doors. Now one guy can get in and take out most of them for being in the middle of the staircase.

Comparing PS1 to PS2 on the pure FPS aspect is ridiculous. FPS technology has evolved greatly since then. Comparing PS1 to PS2 on a continental scale I think is still a correct correlation because strategically games like this have not evolved much.
    • Up x 2
  2. Crashsplash

OK, if you say so. But you've just identified PS1 as the more satisfying game.

I suppose it is but I'd rather say that's because of what is missing from PS2 (so far) that was included within PS1 from the start not because of things that both games have but do differently, such as ttk.

The other thing, while I'm at it :p

I often hear about adadad being done to exploit the game code and cause warping. The trouble is that I've heard this said far far more times than I actually saw warping occur. The main reason for it was and is to 'dodge', obviously a major (mortal) sin and mea culpa.
  3. Eyeklops

Pretty much this. SOE can't change the latency so they have to play with TTK times.

I agree, however, it's not the black & white scenario "higher TTK destroys X advantage." Grey areas exist here. Like I said earlier, I don't want the TTK doubled, but the current infantry weapons with really low TTK's make QCQ fighting produce too many ties and cheezy lag kills far too easy.

How much the "position advantage" is reduced is really a function of how much they move the TTK. A small increase to the TTK won't fully negate the "position advantage."
    • Up x 1
  4. Blackweb

PS1 TTK was too long. PS2 TTK is too short. What we need is something somewhere inbetween.
    • Up x 3
  5. Zcuron

I'd love to see an experiment be run on the test server pertaining to this;
    1. Give infantry a 50% small-arms resistance. (that way vehicle versus infantry should remain the same)
    2. Double infantry weapon ammo capacity. (this change will suck to put in)

I'm quite curious how it'll play out~~

On the face of it, such a change will devalue situational awareness in favour of ability to aim and perhaps reaction speed.
    • Up x 1
  6. Holomang

TTK is perfect as is, longer TTKs will only serve to prop up the bad players who make lots of mistakes and still expect to live.
    • Up x 2
  7. Vastly

They aren't because...

Which gives your target more time to return fire, and, far more importantly, his buddy time to join their fire power to his. Whereas with a "low" TTK, superior "tactics" would allow you to kill the guy and retreat, ready for the next engagement, with a high TTK, you're now looking at 2vs1 and so on and so on.

In an arena game where sides are balanced artificially, this isn't such a big deal because each team always has the same numbers advantage. In a game where the enemy can bring as many as they want, it's a very big deal. The zerg becomes exponentially more powerful the slower they are to kill.
  8. mina5

increasing TTK will put this game to grave ... TTK is perfect at the moment . Halo style TTK is really really bad .
    • Up x 2
  9. xXSmokeXx

It is called cover. You take it.
    TTK is just right. In fact, I'd make it even shorter. It is amazing how the possibility of getting killed by stray bullets encourages people to zerg less and think more.
    • Up x 2
  10. Zorro

On the contrary, a short TTK is best. It encourages movement, use of cover and tactics, suppression fire, and stealth. A long TTK would ultimately detract from the variety of PS2 and make gameplay motionless, with the winner simply having the most DPS and armor.
    • Up x 1
  11. Captain Kid

I don't mind the ttk on "regular" infantry weapons like the carbine and such.
    I am getting fed up however dying extremely quickly or instant to av weapons/turrets, air, shotguns, NC maxes (at range!) and whatever weapons I have no idea what they are.
    Why does an anti vehicle infantry weapon or turret only need one hit to kill infantry!
  12. Ranik

I can agree that certain weapons need to not be instant kills, and it's mostly contained in the infantry gameplay at this point.
  13. Posse

I didn't think it that way, now this thread makes sense, since the OP is one of the leaders of one of the biggest zergfits in Waterson.
    • Up x 1
  14. Van Dax

So basically you want this to be a different game.
  15. Tiedemann

I like the TTK to be right where it is.
  16. Crashsplash

That's exactly right. Teamwork is emphasised and teamwork are tactics too.
  17. RobotNinja

Harrasser Problem? 1 C4 = 3 dead players. Tested it out myself earlier today. They saw me flying over head and took off...with a brick of C4 already attached to their vehicle...and.......Boom goes the dynamite.

Also...OMG!!!! There are weapons in PS2 that can two-shot infantry?! Holy crap!!!!

(Don't tell this guy there are about a gazillion weapons you can be one-shotted with too. It might break his poor little heart.)
  18. Copasetic

I don't mind the current TTK, it's a different style of gameplay and it's just as fun as anything else. I just don't like how it limits weapon design and balance. And there's hardly any skill involved, but I guess that's to be expected for a free to play game that depends on having lots of players in order to work.

I'd be for making the TTK longer if it means we can have more unique weapons that aren't automatically either OP or UP. Or just plain annoying, like the growing number of things that can instagib you.
  19. deveras

Longer TTK would be so awesome! I want some differences from BF3.
  20. bNy_

Wait... you want to make it longer?
    If anything they should remove the shield and just say with that...

You take like 3 if not more the damage in this game compared to the vast majority of other FPS games out there... Not to mention you have a god damn shield that regenerates.