TR Prowler is now the deadliest SoB in the game.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by MichaelMoen, Oct 6, 2022.

1. Botji

Mostly just replying so you dont think im ignoring you but basically what LodeTria said.

And I 100% agree that these should be visible in the game as well because there are plenty of things that people miss and/or misunderstand because it is hidden.

For example it is through this magic damage/resistance that a Harasser is kinda on par with Lightning/MBTs in terms of how many tank shells they can take before dying. Harasser only takes +20% damage from a tank shell while tanks takes +50% or more depending on where it is hit as well as tanks taking +20% damage from "Light Anti-Vehicle" weapons, basically secondary turrets which Harassers use.

I often wish my tanks had Harasser armor instead of this garbage tank armor!
  2. Terrince

Thanks for the link!

I wouldn't have thought you were ignoring me haha but thanks for the response anyway

The directional resistance is very interesting!
    NS vehicles take no extra damage from the belly, but Lightnings and MBTs take -100% damage (so double, +50% for tank shells, if Im reading that right.) Weird.

So front of an MBT is 0% resistance +50% extra damage if it's a tank shell. This info should definitely be in game.
    I was wounding why it takes more shots to kill a sundy with King than AP. Probably more stats like this elsewhere.
  3. Botji

The extra damage from below is quite strange, you are probably unlikely to ever trigger it without setting up the scenario to test it and here I will derail the thread a little.

The obvious thing would be to drive under a Magrider but I think you are then too close to it to be able to count as "below". The direction you are hitting is afaik decided by expanding pyramids/cones so you would need to be a little distance away while still below so that hitbox cone/pyramid is the one you are inside of rather than the front/side/rear.

I know there used to be a decent image someone made so lets see if I find it:
    [IMG]

So the left image is looking down on the tank and the yellow zones are the sides and green is front. This is not a
    "If you hit here it counts as: front/side/rear" image it is a
    "If YOU are within this expanding zone when you hit them it counts as: front/side/rear etc" Which side you are hitting is dependant on your location in relation to their facing, shooting a tank in the rear while still being inside the side cone will still be considered a side hit or vice versa.

So you see on the right image that is viewing the tank from the side that it is hard/impossible to get the bottom hitbox if you are to close as you will typically count as being at the front/rear or sides(which are not visible on this one). Its either impossible or you need to be near pixel perfect with your placement for it to count as being below them unless you can get a little distance under them... but then you might not be able to aim up at them?

You need a really specific situation to trigger it. I will stop derailing now.
  4. Philipthedino

Have you every fought against a strafing mag rider.
  5. VV4LL3

Yeah, you just turn your barrel and lead... #problemsolved
  6. Botji

Thats at fairly long distances, close to medium range you can usually just aim centre mass and the Magrider will be too slow to strafe away from it no matter which direction they decide to go.

One funny thing with the coming changes that makes me really happy I am mostly NSO nowadays is the more or less global increase in tank shell velocity. Its a fairly serious nerf to the Magrider since its already too slow to actively dodge most shots unless its a sniper duel.

I kinda doubt the devs will revert the Magrider speed/agility closer to its initial values now that tank shells are returning more to theirs... well, almost not my problem at least. As NSO I often get put on VS so I will still suffer from it by proxy of teammate Maggies having an even rougher time than usual.
    • Up x 1
  7. AuricStarSand

lol " not the strafing "
    • Up x 1
  8. AuricStarSand

I've seen some 48vs48 or 96vs96 island verse island Oshur tank battles. Or bridge verse other side of bridge. Far range. & from what I've seen. Prowlers & Vanguards win range tank shell fights.

Tons of tanks verse tons of tanks, a shield absorbing dmg or prowlers dug extra shell volleys, are usually more helpful than strafing. The magriders still get hit & have the weaker hp & weaker dps. While the other 2 factions have more practice with far range.

Strafing is good for mid range around craters or trees. I wouldn't even say scaling hills is all that useful as many regions don't have hills that matter. I sure am not a fan of sniping with hills. So magburner mostly just to reach a region few seconds sooner than the other mbt's, which rarely effects duels.

& ye at most ranges, strafing won't dodge tank shells, my infil has a easier time dodging bullets than a magrider does with tank shells. If the magburner wasn't so diagonal & projected forward, yet made you go sideways more than sure it'd be good for dodging. However it doesn't, you ram forward ish. So def near range isn't dodging jack, often times it barely helps me get to a enemy MBT's rear, without dying first. Heck had times you're hovering over a enemy Lightning while he shoots you from underbelly.

4% of the time your magrider will die from ramming a boulder or tree, at full hp. xD
    I kinda miss the vehicle debri flying at people :\

That doesn't mean magburner isn't good, it's just def a utility for peeking around trees.
    I wouldn't even say magrider is all that for move speed, I've seen prowlers with gatekeeper run down magriders ez.
    • Up x 1
  9. \m/SLAYER\m/

Prowler always was best scoring machine.Personally prefer Harasser over any tank, but dem, Prowler scares me... with most tanks - you can just stick to their rears (works best with Magrider) but prowler with gunner will shred you before gunner will be able to trigger reload. So basics is simple - if you can't out-DPS prowler, then try to run away (this thing very fast too)...:eek:
    But really, i don't see any downsides of Prowler.. high mobility, extreme DPS, small boxy profile. Don't know about flip statistics, but most lightning i drive destroyed by terrain.. and vanguards trying as well, that's why i swapped to harasser.
  10. Botji

Tbh the biggest downside of a Prowler is the scenario where it runs into a Vanguard at close to medium range and the Vanguard driver is not a literal potato.

Prowler is just so damn solo friendly as well with most of its features and stats revolving around the driver/main gun so I think I would still rank the Prowler higher than the Vanguard... that and DPS typically scales much better than defense so a bunch of Prowlers can much easier simply focus down Vanguards to scale up their damage to the stratosphere while Vanguards main ability to take damage wont really scale up in the same way without some crazy teamwork.
    • Up x 1
  11. VV4LL3

I know right!!! Other factions think strafing adds such a huge advantage when you literally just have to turn your barrel and lead a little bit more. Oh noes! What will we do?! The target moved in a direction my mind wasn't prepared for....

*Installs Gamer Patch*

Gamer: *Leads a little, as if the tank was moving front/back...*
    • Up x 1
  12. AuricStarSand

Harasser " armor " heh

*tapes paper to wheels*

unwanted request soldier

they should have a harasser slot that makes the harasser x2 weak hp & x2 speed title " hit & run "

Teh prowlers get 2 tries.
    • Up x 1
  13. Botji

Harassers have far superior damage resistances compared to tanks, I would gladly have that paper armor on my tank.

Taking 30% less damage from tank shells and having no side/rear vulnerabilities would be a great improvement even if it meant I could take damage from infantry weapons. The only bad thing about it would be that everyone else would also be using it!
  14. LodeTria

You'd also be on fire in a ap+halberd combo, or just straight dead from 2 prowler AP+halberd.
  15. Botji

Feel free to explain how that would actually happen though because you either forgot some stray C4/AV mines there or... well, not even close to being right.
  16. LodeTria

Because harassers have 2500hp, which your new harasser armour type mbt now has.
  17. Demigan

Yeah, its not as if the small front profile and sloped edges of said profile make the Magrider a lot harder to hit compared to the more stationary Prowler/Vanguard/Lightning giving the Magrider a distinct advantage! Nope! Especially not when strafing since if the enemy aims at your direct center you have to be FAR to make sure it misses! Ignoring ofcourse that a center-aim means you are effectively trying to hit only the left/right half of the Magrider which almost immediately loses 50% of its height when you go off-center and slopes down to about 33% or less hitbox height compared to the center. Making your enemy aim for less than half a tank isnt an advantage! No siree! And the fact that you can strafe different directions and move diagonally simultaneously forcing the opponents to adjust their lead and shell drop simultaneously isnt an advantage either!

Thank Vanu that strafing is so absolutely useless no Magrider in their right mind would ever use it, right?!?
  18. Demigan

He asked for the directional armor and damage reductions for his tank, not the healthpool. You might as well say "NOW YOU DONT HAVE A MAIN GUN ANYMORE WHERE YOU GONNA GET GUNNAH?" Even though thats clearly not what he means.
    • Up x 1
  19. RabidIBM

I just want to say that it is funny that this obviously faction biased salt post has stayed in the top 10 for as long as it has. It's just funny that the "more dakka", but at the cost of accuracy is seen as IMBA while the "charge up" weapon that can hold full charge all day and be used for snap shooting got glossed over.
  20. Demigan

Thats a bit unfair? The JGX thread had 38 posts in a short time while this is number 40 for the Prowler thread. The discussion of the Prowler is a much slower simmer with sometimes only 1 post per day and at one point half a month of silence. And even then, this thread already has some Maggie posts.

If you were to start posting in the JGX thread I have no doubt it would start up again, perhaps once again harder and faster than the Prowler thread.