Top 5 Vanguard Myths... with Numbers!

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by ColonelChingles, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Huishe

Why are you even posting here, then, if you have nothing worthy of interest to say?
    • Up x 2
  2. Foxirus

It needs to be changed to a Resist type shield. Six seconds of 45% complete damage resistance. This would make the Vanguard balanced with the other tanks, But still be able to tank massive amounts of damage. It should have been that from the beginning.
  3. Aegie

Vanguard lags behind the other MBTs, how would this make it balanced?
    • Up x 3
  4. Huishe

That's still advantage without disadvantages. Maybe it should also lose 45% of speed during this time... or lock down! Ok, that was a joke, but still.
  5. ColonelChingles

I briefly did the calculations for a resist shield here, which I will summarize:

1) A resist shield for the Vanguard should mean that the Vanguard has the same TTK against an equivalent level Prowler with Anchor.
    2) Based on the old data (which might have changed), an AP Vanguard had a TTK of 16 seconds against a Prowler (front armor) and an AP Prowler with Anchor 1 had a TTK of 10.8 seconds against a Vanguard (front armor, no shield). An AP Prowler with Anchor 4 had a TTK of 6.2 seconds against a Vanguard (front armor, no shield).
    3) This means to have TTK parity a Vanguard's resist shield should negate 30% damage at Level 1 and 45% damage at Level 4.
    4) That's a pretty hefty resist!
  6. Lamat

Your suggestion just cripples the Vanguard worse. Resist type shields need more time to be effective, look at the heavy assault. The HA resist shield lasts longer and recharges faster, and that's how the Vanguard shield would have to be if you changed it that way.

I suggest a weaker but always on shield built-in to the Vanguard. The shield recharges when the Vanguard isn't taking damage. It is outlined in my thread:

https://forums.station.sony.com/ps2...guard-revamp-ideas.200799/page-8#post-2921142
    • Up x 2
  7. patrykK1028

So, PPA is OP? Then Canister is extremely OP.
    • Up x 1
  8. ColonelChingles

That's a well known statistical anomaly where because there's not enough usage time things like the Canister and Vulcan appear inflated. It's the same reason why sidearms have abnormally high AKPHs, because you only switch to them when you're about to get a kill.

The NC's Canister has 24 days of usage... among 164 users. This means that each user has about 3.5 hours using the Canister.

The VS's PPA on the other hand has 1,057 days of usage among 4,259 users. Each user has spent about 6 hours using the PPA.

What's happening is that Canister users are pretty much just jumping in to their Canister when they're assured of a kill, sort of like when you switch to a pistol at extreme close range or to finish off a wounded enemy. On the other hand the people using the PPA stay in for the duration of the ride, because the PPA is much more versatile for a variety of tasks.

So really the Canister's (and Vulcan's) AKPH is inflated because of few users only using it for short durations. I only included the numbers for "fairness", but really it would have been better if I had weighted those stats somehow to reflect the usage differences. Understand?
    • Up x 2
  9. Lamat

It's better that you included them and have now explained it. There would have been much uproar and people not listening to reason if you left it out.
    • Up x 1
  10. Foxirus

Why don't you think before you speak? The resist shield would balance the tank in 1v1 situations and make it even stronger in 2v1 situations. In such fights when the vanguard is out numbered, A non interrupted 6 second duration would absorb far more than 2000 damage.

As for your suggestion? Hell no. What you want is a direct upgrade to the shield you have now. It would ALWAYS be on until it took damage which would complete destroy majority of flanking maneuvers done against the Vanguard. You NC are always so unreasonable. Never wanting to do trade offs for your power like the rest of us have to.

The Magburn has has no offensive or Defensive boosts, But depending on the situation can cause you to lose ALL your damage output if used for escape.

The Prowler deploy boosts attack at the cost of complete immobility.

The Vanguard Iwin shield has no drawback whatsoever, Its a no brainer decision when you use it. Start taking damage? Pop that panic button.

Hell, Ill even give you a bonus, Make the resist shield have 55% damage reduction to ALL DAMAGE TYPES.
  11. Silus

Why do people insist on balancing things for 1v1? Outside of out-of-the-way-ghostcapping infantry battles or catching the eye of the odd tanker while driving cross country, how often are you REALLY duking it out 1v1? Wouldn't it be better to balance vehicles based on the situations they most find themselves?

Lone-Wolfing shouldn't ever be the baseline for balance.
    • Up x 1
  12. FBVanu

there should be a vehicle forum where we could discuss this.... :confused:
    • Up x 2
  13. ColonelChingles

The irony behind that is that I originally started this thread in the General Discussion forums, and then a mod moved it to the Vehicle Forums. And now with the closure of the Vehicle Forums it's back here. :eek:
  14. Yeahy

Magrider dies more to suicides than titan ap's.
    Confirmed vanguard buff.
  15. Foxirus

I am in a magrider. Any battle that is not 1v1 usually ends up with a dead magrider. Less armor, Less speed, Worst bullet drop (Our trait is supposed to be.. THATS RIGHT, NO BULLET DROP)... Need I go on?

You are not seeing that this would provide a direct buff to you the more damage you are taking. It would be more powerful the more enemies you were fighting.
  16. Yasa

Its silly to use player stats to determine the quality of a tank.
    • Up x 3
  17. Kriegson

And how exactly would you determine it? Probably by how it "Feels" rather than anything quantifiable, yeah?

OT:
    It's a bit sad when I see tanks and the first thing I do is pull dual falcon max to start destroying them. Vanguard? Rocket bait.
    • Up x 1
  18. Lamat

Wow. We're just having a discussion, why would you say something so rude? You don't seem mature enough to have an opinion of much value now.
    • Up x 1
  19. Mythologicus

So the PPA has a lower AKPH than the Canister.

[IMG]
    • Up x 1
  20. Foxirus

I stop going easy on people who don't consider a post before replying to it. All you saw was a post wanting to change your precious iwin shield and you had to say something to shoot it down or something that would be a direct buff to the already godlike shield.

There was nothing rude about it, I was asking a legitimate question. You replied to my post in a way that showed you did not even really consider it. Therefor you are the only one being rude here.
    • Up x 1