[Suggestion] This game needs to be better optimized.

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Okjoek, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Okjoek

I got my computer in late 2011. It's an alienware, cost about 1000 dollars. I know my computer's aging and it probably won't go another 4 years without needing to be replaced, but it was a big investment and I need to milk all the fun out of it I can. I would try this game on PS4, but I don't like playing FPSs without mouse and keyboard.

I can't believe computer age would explain why I can only have fun in this game on Low/Very low graphics settings. When I go any higher than that it severely compromises my gameplay. I can see why this game is so popular because it's so unique in what it offers to people who like shooters like me, but I can also see why there are a lot of people who aren't playing. They just can't because this game is too demanding for their systems to run. People don't want graphics, they want gameplay. I wouldn't care if they had to make low detail the new high detail, I would just like a bigger community to enjoy the game with so the following won't happen:

I made this thread after my TR character and one VS guy kept fighting for a base in Hossin and no reinforcements ever came to help either of us so it got to the point where we kept running around destroying/overloading and flipping points almost hoping to not encounter each other as we were getting a bunch of XP. We need more damn people to shoot at DBG. Open up the game to more people.
  2. Pikachu

They already did a big optimization pass. Most likely all holes are filled.
    • Up x 1
  3. Foxirus

If you were to give us the specs of your computer, We could tell you exactly why you can only run on low settings. The fact its an alienware or costs $1000 has nothing to do with performance. There are even people who will argue with you that Alienware is just over priced bloatware.

If its a laptop? Thats your problem right there. Had you of gotten a $1000 desktop, you would have gotten more power for the dollar. A laptop will always be weaker than a desktop dollar per dollar wise. You are paying for portability for the most part with a laptop, Not power.
    • Up x 6
  4. Okjoek

It was actually a gift so the fact it's an alienware wasn't really up to me. My parents just knew I liked to play games on it.

It is a desktop.

The HDD broke somehow over a year ago and needed to be replaced with a spare my brother had lying around. Dunno if that would cause my problems. It had, and the one I use now both have 1 terabyte of memory.

My brother also installed windows 10 on it not long ago which I don't care for that much.

It has 8GB of RAM

The Processor has 3.10 GHz

That's about all I'm really able to understand about a computer's specs. My younger brother is a bit brighter at dealing with them as machines. I just love to use them for entertainment. Maybe my perents were ripped off, but it's better than the computer I had before it which was a Vista so I've made the most of this machine. I'd be happy if it makes it to the end of 2016 because I try to make these things last atleast 5 years before replacing them.
  5. gartho33

Sounds like you have a toaster of a comp.... likely your graphics card and CPU are the limiters. 3.1 GHz is nice, but if that's a duel or single core.... might want to upgrade...

I'd also be willing to bet your using your on board graphics card.... which is impressive that it can even run the game at all.
    • Up x 2
  6. Foxirus

As others have said, Its most likely your video card. That is usually the largest factor.
  7. Taemien

You were sadly ripped off.

A $1000 Alienware computer is equal to a 1-2 generation old computer that is worth about 2/3rds the price. So what you have is actually a $650 computer made in 2009 or 2010. Not nearly enough to play PS2. Game doesn't need to be optimized, you simply don't have enough oomph to play PS2.

Since you bought an Alienware, I'm assuming you don't know how to build a computer (you would have known to steer clear from Alienware). Here's a machine that will play PS2, right out of the box, max settings, with 100+ FSP:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883227592

Its a bit pricey, but that's the issue with PC gaming. Its not cheap. They don't call us the PC Master Race for nothing. If you're a bit on the casual side when it comes to gaming, stick to the console. Its like racing cars. If you can't afford the $30,000 car with $15,000 worth of mods, don't try to race with the ones who do, stick with the used civic guys.

Its why they port games to the PS4 and Xbox, so people with budgets can play them.
  8. Megalegs

Those specs aren't that bad, but the video card is missing.

I suspect that's the weak-point here.

My machine is 4 years old essentially, though the SDD and graphics card are upto date.....
    • Up x 1
  9. Okjoek

Guess I can be happy it wasn't me that made the purchase and it's too log ago to get upset about. Well thanks for the input anyways. Maybe I really put more effort into knowing what's what so I can simply make my own from parts. I'd bet I could collaborate with my brother and come up with something nice.

Although when said I don't have the oomph to play it, I should mention the game does run really smoothly on minimum or near minimum graphics and doesn't feel like it's struggling so I'll keep playing like that for now because as I said in my original post this game is fun and unique. Visuals are only so important next to gameplay value for me.

This is partially why I joined the Steam community and stopped buying the home consoles. My first big online game I joined was Runescape back in 2006. Visuals sucked, but the gameplay was addicting in my opinion and I was part of a community. Ofcourse I quit because I thought the game wasn't going in the right direction the past few years. Steam gave me a forum of all the pc gamers consolidated in one place and an almost limitless array of games which my 4 year old computer has been able to run every one of them so far. Although I will be honest this is the most demanding game I think I've played.
  10. DefendYourBase

Alienware is junk. Their current 700$ pc isnt even good enough to run most games even on low....

I dont see how its even considered a "gaming" computer....

American Business.... Hype up image of company.... Give consumers crap computers. Buyer beware...

There is NOTHING wrong with planetside 2. People need to quit asking for performance issue fixes when its their crap computers thats the problem. What ends up happening is.. People who DID upgrade their computers like ME end up having the game chopped and screwed of graphic elements of game to improve performance.

People who have upgraded computers seem to be the minority. And stupid poor a$$ gamers demand better performance on their piece of $hit PCs. Probably welfare recipients. No joke... A lot of video gamers are welfare entitlement losers who shouldnt even be playing games.

I DEMAND NINTENDO TO IMPROVE PERFORMANCE OF POKEMON NDS GAMES TO RUN ON MY 10 YEAR OLD GAMEBOY COLOR!!! I PAID FOR IT!

I just built a 400$ rig that runs PS2 on mostly medium settings no problem what so ever... Gtx 570 i5-2500 3.3 ghz. Quad core.

You should check to see if there is any virus/spyware/maleware on your computer too.
  11. DefendYourBase

Its not integrated. Its alienware being a greedy american company selling their lower end pcs with $hit hardware while hyping up the name of the company with their higher end pcs that cost about 2000$-4000$

If you want the alienware quality that they advertise.. You have to pay the big bucks. Otherwide buying their cheaper pcs is like a walmart computer... The performance gap between alienwares lower end PC vs higher end is enormous along with the price tag.

You CANNOT buy a cheap alienware...

Seriously... Look at their 700$ computer right now... Comes with gtx 745... What Fing game is going to run with a pos gtx 745...? Diablo 2?? Counter strike??

NEVER BUY ALIENWARE. EVER EVER EVER.

Lmao.. Its 2015 almost 2016 and they are selling a benchmark score of 2000 (gtx 745) Lmao rofl is that a joke... Or what...?
    Gtx 570 has benchmark score of 4400.... Bought mine for 70$

Imagine what POS graphics card they sold to this guy back in 2011...

Maybe thats what happend... All these "gamers" bought a cheap alienware thinking they have a beast computer and find that they couldnt handle PS2 and thought its the games fault. Reality is... DELL sold them a piece of $hit disguised as alienware.
  12. CazadorDeLaBruja

Actually before the WTF update i was getting about 60 - 70 fps...*that was when PhisX was still running" during the update i got as high at 80 *after disabling PhisX* and as low as 20 *Unknown Reason*.

Post update, i can only barely reach 30 fps on the lowest settings in the smallest window. And only while avoiding Hossen. That is why Hossen is dead. no one wants to play there cause it runs like crap even on a top-end PC. It didnt always but the Quality control of PS2 is dead. No one wants to play the game because no one likes being shot because the game runs piss poor.

the game's performance sucks, not because of a hardware issue... but because DBG sucks at programming Optimization...

Peace! V
    • Up x 1
  13. CazadorDeLaBruja

LOL that is nearly identical to my machine! ... except the game favors Nvidia... and runs like Garbage on ATI. so i have an ATI card... figures. Yeah turn my settings way down and use 3rd party programs to amp up the performance so i can scrape my face along the ground at 25 - 30fps. back when the full team was working on the game i got around 60 easy and on Hoth as high as 70fps... same hardware. Post WTF i get 30ish in most places and Hossen is terrible averaging 22 - 25 maybe.
  14. DefendYourBase

Hossin runs smoothly on both my rigs. My 1000$ rig and my 400$ rig.
    • Up x 1
  15. DefendYourBase

ATI IS garbage..

For real genuine gamers.. You always want Nvidia GPU and Intel CPU...

I suggest getting yourself a gtx 580 or 570 on ebay used. You can pick either up for less than 100$ used.
    I redo thermal compound on them. Dust them. Performance test stress test to see if card is running at optimal speed.... Gtx 580 handles ps2 VERY nice... Not on ultra for all settings though. It does have limitations yet.
  16. CazadorDeLaBruja

Holy Snap! just logged into the game after a long Avoidance Period... im getting 50fps Holy Snap Crackle POP! I love you DBG! i Can play my fav game again!!!
  17. orangejedi829

Ignoring all the Alienware hate here (yes, they're overpriced, but the specs are what matters), there are a few more pieces of information you'll need to provide.
    CPU: the model of the CPU is important. "3.1GHz" doesn't mean anything on its own - for all we know, it could be a Pentium 4.
    GPU: if you have a graphics card, we need to know the model. If you don't, your PC is likely using an iGPU built into the CPU (if it's Intel) or the motherboard (if it's AMD).
    You can go to the start menu and type "Device Manager" into search. Open the Device Manager, and look under "Display Adapters" to find your graphics card, and under "Processors" to find your CPU.
  18. AxiomInsanity87

Intel 4004.

Wtf is a gpu bro? ;)
    • Up x 1
  19. MikeyGeeMan

20. Evanus

They never really optimized it. They just downgraded the graphics until it ran ok.