The misconception of underpowered NC weapons

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Xiphos, Dec 27, 2012.

1. hellin

Thanks for the tip ... but will not help to me. Part of the text will be difficult to translate.
    • Up x 1
  2. hellin

Excellent. I have also realized.
    Now take the COF and add it to each next shot +recoil, then take that as the distance it grow and take on a percentage of the size of the target ... and then subtract the difference get ratio efficiency. Take a distance of 10 meters? ... And we take into account the difference in the rate of ... I think that at a distance of 30 meters koefitsient be very visible ...
    The difference in DPS change much I guess.
    For reference, the spread of weapons to take a certain distance.
  3. hellin

That is one shot (y = recoil x = COF) y + x = z1, 2 z1 + y + x = z2, 3 z2 + y + x = z3 ... n zn-1 + y + x = zn. each time the deviation becomes more and more. Because it is necessary for accurate shooting to stop. And given the low rate of firing rate of fire will fall more than the clamp. So the effect will be more on the distance if the accuracy or recoil would allow.
    PS. I am well versed in the mechanics but a drop in the formulas confused, that's all.
  4. hellin

Do not agree. Low rate of fire of an without high damage at close range is useless.
  5. CharlieMurphy

I'm level 30 on NC after 2-3 weeks or so. I love the game but I've noticed a huge difference in the performance of small arms weaponry between the factions. TR weapons are the easiest to win 1v1 or even 1v2 engagements with by far from medium to close distances (where the majority of fighting occurs for infantry) - So much so, that I'm switching sides to TR. VS infantry weapons are between that of TR and NC, but closer to TR.

I'm switching because its simply bull$hit when you get the drop on a TR dude and you fire at him, only to have your gun bounce around horribly and the guy turns around and kills you in a second. It happens frequently. I have to literally stalk guys and get as close as possible to ensure a kill, which is difficult in most cases - His buddy will see you doing so and you're dead at that point.

I've tried and own a LOT of the NC weaponry and have taken them all into battle. It seems the only effective weapon that somewhat comes close to VS but further from TR is the GD-22S w/grip and reflex x1. Even then the standard TR guns wipe the floor with it. I've got the SAW you're given in the beginning completely hooked up and it's a disappointment.

The reason I'm switching to TR is because I want to be competitive. I don't care about farming certs with air or tanks. I wan't to pound the ground, and TR has the best weaponry to do it with. I know this because I played for 1 hour on TR and was wildly more successful to the point where it felt like cheating because I had gotten so good with NC weaponry and compensating for their weaknesses.

You guys can argue about specifics all day long, but the truth of the matter is that it takes MUCH more skill and effort with NC weaponry to approach the same competitive level in gun battles with the opposing factions than it does with TR or VS. If you take a player like me that has already gone down the NC route and give them TR or VS weaponry afterwards, the performance difference between mid-low level NC players and seasoned TR players will be extreme.

Thanks for reading ;)
    • Up x 1
  6. general_azure

Some things to consider:
    1. A high RoF/low recoil gun is easier to compensate than a low RoF/high recoil gun, even if recoil per sec is equal. The former has a smooth climb while the later jerks around.
    2. Even when outdoors, the "range at which full auto is not effective anymore" is probably somewhere beyond my rendering distance when **** hits the fan (read: when fighting at the crown).
    3. Just spraying someone down has the added benefit of completely ruining his aim until he is dead or you have to reload, while controlled fire will always leave him an opening to return fire accurately.

Think I'll have to agree with deavonere on this, sustained damage capability is what usually wins this game. Now I just wish I had any idea what hellin was trying to say....
  7. Johan

Im loving the huge buff now. Before the patch I barely could kill TR and Vanu. Now I slaughter TR wirh ease and come out even with vanu.
  8. Xiphos

This isn't imbalance, this is your lack of skill, poor weapon/attachment choice, low framerates, etc.
  9. Hobo Jack

i understand that the NC weapons are supposed to be "different" but i think that the devs went a little too extream with the recoil and the rate of fire to a lesser extent. I played only NC sense launch day and last night i made a TR char on a diff server because my server was compleatly a ghost town. long story short i was having a blast and was having a MUCH easyer time getting kills and staying alive in general i actually only died 5 times in a whole hour and after 15 mins i was already on my first killstreak. i understand that the NC weapons are kinda like the "ak-47s" but this is the future and the NC guns are WAY more unruly then an AK47!!
  10. Xiphos

The high recoil gun jerks around more which makes the recoil more obvious but that's about it.
  11. Xiphos

How easy it is to get kills and stay alive depends to a very large extent on whether you're outnumbered or outnumbering and where the fight takes place.
  12. Clay Pigeon

Higher RoF means more hit flinching inflicted on the enemy, screwing up his aim. NC weapons have the lowest RoF, putting them at a comparative disadvantage.
  13. Xiphos

We don't know if this assumption is true. If it is then it could be the one legitimate complaint, at least in my opinion. That said, NC are pretty good in scope range already.
  14. Xae

Then use the fast NC weapons?

You realize they have access to the highest tier RPM of Carbines and Assault Rilfes, right? And for LMGs they get pretty damn close.

This. Add about 5 or 6 certain people to your ignore list and 90% of the whining NC is doing vanishes.
  15. CharlieMurphy

Lol, you're a funny guy. So you're going to tell me I'm imagining the performance difference I experienced myself because my computer sucks, and I suck?

Hey guy - GO F*CK YOURSELF! :D
  16. Aggh

And then you get hit by a single bullet and the recoil is exacerbated by aim shake. Imo they need to make the severity of aim shake based on how much damage is being dealt.

How do you not know if it's true? The more you get hit, the more your aim shakes.
  17. Xiphos

Does it shake more with a 167 damage bullet or is it the same as a 143 damage bullet?
  18. Xiphos

No, that is not what I'm saying. I'm saying that the performance difference is not due to an inherent imbalance that favors your opponent so greatly that he has time to turn around and kill you. The performance difference is due to other factors. It's easy to turn around and kill the guy that was shooting at you if you have the right weapon for the job and he does not, or if he's aiming poorly, etc.
    • Up x 2
  19. Noxx(ia)

Not that I don't agree with your title, but I disagree with your approach. This is an FPS and a spreadsheet is somewhat meaningless. I will use the beam version of the Lasher from beta and the ReachCast interview with Jimmy Whisenhunt as an example. He said that version of the lasher was the best weapon in the game on paper by far. But in practice it sucked. Don't believe me? Listen to the interview. And now this is where I really hope he didn't say it off the record because we talked for a while before and after lol.

Why is a spreadsheet bad? Well, if you have your TTK of .48 and .5, that's assuming you hit with every shot. Second, for the cone and recoil, those things become exponentially different the further away the target is. .05 more recoil could mean shooting 100 feet further over someones head than another gun depending on the distance. Need I go on?

Anyway. I agree with your title. It's a misconception. I primarily play TR and I'm dying for the day TR gets an NC-like weapon because otherwise, I'll end up abandoning my friends and playing NC. I don't believe the answer to this question is in the spreadsheets though. Now, if using the spreadsheets shuts up enough idiots, then fine, use it.

I'm just going to list the reasons first, because they really depend on each other to be relevant.

1) A lot of players in this game have never played a PC FPS, or even and FPS at all.
    2) NC guns are harder to shoot.
    3) TR and VS weapons are more beginner friendly.
    4) enemy faster rate of fire and more bullets means knocking you off your target more frequently.

If you're going to argue 2 with me, do it in a PM, but they have more recoil and if you use point 1, that makes them much harder to shoot for those players.

if you combine 1, 2, and 3 you'll understand why a beginner NC player is going to get frustrated compared to a beginner TR or VS player. They TR and VS guns are simply more forgiving. A player can hold down their trigger and "spray and prey" with much less penalty than NC weapons. I have played NC and VS 20+ hours each on top of my main TR. VS and TR are simply easier for a beginner because they are not punished as much. Combine 2 and 4 and now you're firing, get hit, and combining the movement you take from being hit with the higher recoil, you'll be off target even more, which means it's harder to kill a target hitting you.

Now how does this lead to a misconception?

Simple. Beginners are the ones that cry the most on the forums and because they get owned the hardest, probably go out and try the other empires seeing for themselves those guns are easier, the misconception that NC guns are bad becomes quite popular. There is a learning curve in this game, people just need to be more patient and figure out what they're doing wrong.

Give and NC gun to someone with endless hours of FPS experience in multiple games. They will shred. Especially once they put a fore grip on the gun. I purchased my fore grip on my gauss rifle and my god, I felt unstoppable.

It's a combination of mechanics and player base that make the NC weapons seem weaker. Yes, you could use the beam lasher argument on this, but I think that just needs a modification of an already existing in game mechanic, not a buff to the NC weapons.

When you get hit, causing your character to flinch off target, it should be reflected by the damage delt. A change to this mechanic could make NC weapons not as punishing to new players and keep them from feeling hopelessly lost. The crying will never stop. This could help the game become better though.
  20. Noxx(ia)

i don't believe so. otherwise you would be knocked all over creation when an infiltrator hits you. It feels the same.
    • Up x 1