The Bounty System:

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HadesR, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Taemien

Its alright, I'll keep my sub going in your stead, they won't notice you missing.

Seriously if this upsets you, and you think this is considered harassment, you should probably consider leaving. PVP just isn't for you.
  2. Villanuk

So if everyone is complaining then it would be a fair assumption that people are not happy with the running of the game. Yes you cannot please everyone but as you say "everyone" then its unlikely everyone is wrong. This is a cynical move, so dam right people are not happy, they stated that when it was first announced and still they went ahead, what does that say about them, looking after customers???

I agree, i see less paying players now than ever, so once again its fair to say people are not happy and this is just a typical example as to why. You cant point the finger at the players, they are still loyal playing the game. If the company is not making money then its them who need to address their business model to encourage players to pay and not for gimmicks.
  3. Who Garou

As I said in another thread, if I had known this was going to go live at the beginning of September I WOULD NOT have re-upped my All Access Membership. I paid for year in advance because I like some of the Daybreak games and wanted to support Daybreak. All the games I play are free-to-play. The game that I play the most now is Planetside 2.

I will not buy anything in the cash shop for Planetside 2 (except probably character slots so that I have access to all my characters after I go F2P - since I'll be getting 6000 DGC by the end of my All Access), until this system is removed.

If the bounty system is still in effect when my re-up for All Access comes around, I'll cancel it.

I'm not going to support this pay-to-harass (and gain extra xp for harassing) system.
  4. Stormsinger

This is true, but something like this is developmentally cheap to implement. It requires no new graphical assets other then a fancy looking dorito and a new button. In terms of coding, it's just a quick check to see if a character has a bounty, and some basic logic - I'd be surprised if it took more then 40-60 development hours total, not counting testing.

As for the driving force behind it? In a nutshell: Money. IF the special spot state doesn't persist indefinitely, but requires a Q spot / an action that makes them show on the minimap... then I have no problem with it. This a way to get players to spend a very small amount of Daybreak cash here and there, with no pay-to-win elements. (100 XP is less then you get for repairing a base turret to full. It's a fun little cookie, nothing more.)

There's also the semi-recent change that requires members to claim their daybreak cash on a monthly basis - the change was originally made due to tax / accounting reasons (I believe.) - The cash counts as actual currency (which DBC retains ownership of, you just have some associated with your account.) - As long as it remains unspent, it cannot be counted as profit (Again, if i'm remembering correctly) - and since many players tend to hoard piles and piles of DBC, they may be trying to chip away at the buildup, since it stays on their books until used.

I believe it persists through logoff, and the XP is rewarded later on.

In their defense, every single time they want to implement a system where you pay for things that's even slightly trivial, and not a dedicated, huge man-hours effort to revamp the universe ... players go zonkers about it. Smedly once wanted to sell cosmetics for player Drop Pods. That's the sort of thing that must be shot down - you never get to see them, and the additional art assets are apparently bogging down the game engine (The OMFG effort removed a ton of specialized graphics.)

The initial implant system? That was miserable, and the outcry was justified, it was blatantly P2W, and the fact that implants were one-time-use (kind of like the one-time-use camo they phased out) was terrible. The current system is expensive, but as long as you use them only extremely sparingly, it's workable.

There was an effort to put in custom flashlight colors that Higby posted about once, something I actually kinda liked, and it was shot down too. This system... I don't plan on using it, but I don't see any P2W elements of any significance. (100 XP for 20-25DBC? Meh, it's less work to throw ammo at someone)

I wish the community would save it's venom for features worthy of shooting down. People complain about lack of communication from the Developers, then poo all over their ideas when they try to discuss things... which is one of the reasons that the recent reddit Q&A session was on reddit, and not here.
    • Up x 1
  5. Who Garou

• You're math isn't very good. You would have to pay for an additional subscription to cover mine being missing.

• I think that you are harassing me by making that comment. And I don't see that you paid for that right.
  6. Taemien

There's a fine line between Loyalty and Stupidity. When a game makes a patch that goes south and players wait for the next patch to undo it. That's loyalty. When something is changed over a year ago and they complain for a year. That's stupidity.

With that said, I don't think the average player is stupid. They were smart enough to download and install the game. Smart enough to create and account. And smart enough to move and shoot.

What I do think is players are not happy unless they get things for free, and get something to complain about. No one sticks with a product for over a year thinking they are being ripped off the entire time.

The person I quoted is bellyaching about a function that isn't in the game yet. Claiming its harassment. How the hell do you harass someone by killing them in a PVP game? I would love to know Who Garou's outfit name and his character name is. I will show him something far far worse than a 3 kill bounty. And you know what? It'd be totally legit, considered emergent gameplay by most companies.

Apparently people don't understand that when you PVP (and everyone in PS2 is PVPing, there is no PVE). Any dispute between players that can have a PVP resolution must be resolved in PVP and is not considered harassment. Bounties are included. As are camping. Sitting outside warpgates and gibbing your ESF with missiles and flak. And among other things.

Its either quit or fight. Nothing else.

See that tag that says Multi-SOE? I've played EQ and EQ2, what makes you think I don't have more than one account for multiboxing?

Give me your character name and server and I'll show you something far worse for free. And like I said, it'd be legit. Welcome to PVP.
    • Up x 1
  7. MikeyGeeMan

Umm ok. So to get players to focus on the objectives and not just kdr, we implemented a system that rewards you for going after a player that someone has just arbitrarily decided to call a bounty on someone.

So you added objectives to killing. Which already existed in directive weapons.

Now here's a wacky thought.

Change directive weapons to be xp based. Then that dovetails nicely into the whole bounty system with extra xp.
    • Up x 2
  8. Who Garou

It seems that you don't understand that I have the rights of a consumer not to support a product that I don't like.

I was fine paying for the game and supporting it with that payment. I re-subscribed to All Access to support the game.

I am against this mechanic, and because I want to support this game, I'm making my dissatisfaction clear so that the people that make this game can make a change and continue to get my support. If they don't want my support that's fine. I'll more likely than not still be playing the game.

And I could careless how many times you think you could hunt me down and kill me in game, but threating to do it is harassment.
  9. Xellon

I really can't comprehend why most of you folks are that ******** about this feature.
    Yeah, it doesn't really help the cause of PlanetSide2 trying to become a greater experience (then it alread is IMO).
    Yeah, it's not really a wanted feature (which doesn't mean they've stopped working on more desired stuff btw!)

But why the hell are you guys so offend by it? As somesome said, it's really just a "Do it or don't do it" feature, just like Implants were and are and will be.

Some claim that this will be "abused" to harrass or discriminate players. But please keep in mind that you can only bounty your last killer and the bounty only lasts 3 kills. So if you really wanted to harrass someone with this, you'd have to A: Get everybody who's getting killed by that Guy to spend 25 DBC to bounty him, or B: Get yourself killed over and over again by the same Guy and spend 25 DBC each time to keep up the bounty on him. As you can see, both Option are incredibly Idiotic and I'll whole-heartedly laugh at anybody who's persuing this path of lunacy.

I've also seen complaints about "getting free Exp/Certs". Let's do a little Math, shall we?
    Let's assume you wanted to get a certain new Weapon for 1000 Certs. This Weapon is also woth 699 DBC, keep that in mind.
    I highly doubt you'd get all three bounty kill bonusus yourself, so let's say you get 400 Exp. out of one Bounty: 300 as the one who placed the bounty and 100 for killing the Target yourself. We'll also assume that you didn't consider spending DBC on Boosts or Membership, since we like free things, right?
    To gain 1 Cert, you need 250 Exp. So, 1000 Certs for your new Weapon translate into 250,000 Exp.
    250,000 Exp. divided by 400 Exp. yields us 625. This means we'd have to place 625 Bounties on random folks, which is only possible if you die 625 times if I may remind you. Also, placing a Bounty costs 25 DBC each, so this would accumulate to 15625 DBC.
    That's a tad bit more money than spending the 699 DBC on the Weapon directly, isn't it?
    Ok, but what about Boosts and such? Well, I re-did the calculations and this time, I've assumed that you get to catch all the Bounty yourself, so 600 Exp per bounty. On top, you've now got a Membership (+100% Exp) and a 50% Boost running, so 150% additional Exp. In the end, we'd still be at 4175 DBC for onyl the Bounties!
    I really can't see any free Certs here anywhere.... Just Money thrown out the window!

If you disagree whith any of the Points made above, plase feel free to anywer in a polite way and I will happily engange in a well-mannered discussion about this with you. Answer in a... unpolite way, and I will happily ignore you.

Also, the Value of 25 DBC is an assumption I've made after diggin through a whole lot of posts on the forums and reddit. Until I were In-Game, I can't say for sure that this is the correct value. Expect some edits if I find out that it's less, or more expensive!
  10. Taemien

Try rereading what I said, here.. I'll quote it for you:

I support you making the decision to leave the game. I really do.

I find it surprising that a mechanic that earns 48 certs per 1000 is enough to make someone leave. I really doubt it would be used. If the cost of bounty was 5DBC it might be interesting. Or 1DBC it would be really cool for a platoon to work together and bounty everything that killed them. That'd be quite a bit of exp. But 25? Little steep for most. Even I won't use it.

Though I welcome any bounty against me. I love a challenge.

Its called Player Vs Player (PVP). I threaten/challenge/goad(whatever makes you feel better) you, your friends, your squad, your outfit, and whomever supports you.

Please do us both a favor and ask for a refund and exit out early. I want my teammates and opponents alike to not be so sensitive and have a more competitive attitude.

The reason why is these players enter in without considering the consequences. They don't realize what PVP is. They don't like the idea that any time they're gameplay experience can be negatively impacted by an opposing player. They don't realize that for someone to win, someone has to lose.

Then you got the person above who is offended by the fact that he could be targeted for combat. Are you kidding me? I would welcome such a challenge. I welcome the bounties. Fighting someone who wants to fight me, specifically? Is there no greater satisfaction to have such a contest (win or lose)? I would say honor, but it is just a game.

But that is the problem with newer generations, no sense of competition.
  11. Villanuk

I think the problem with some of the ideas, instead of giving you a choice of flash light, which i agree was a cool idea, they wanted to charge for it, common really? Are they so dam skint they will look under a boulder for a penny?

I remember the BG cash accounting, which i have no issues with as they were honest about it,so people accepted it.

People are cynical of them for good reasons. 2 years ago, it was a standard format. Bring new item out then nerf it. Even items that really were not OP, which players brought were nerfed, so they would buy something else to replace it. for many including myself i found was hard to take. If its OP, then indeed it should be nerfed, but lets take the striker. I paid for something i tested, it was then reduced to a pointless chunk of metal, now as wrel said in its video, its kinda ok, but not what i paid for. I felt they tricked people to buy items knowing full well they would get nerfed later down the line.

The bounty, game breaker, no, massive development, no, but the players didnt want it and its pointless, so why bring it out. I would rather that time be spent on the LMG changes, but thats a personal point of view. I agree its money and again i have no issues with making money, they need to, but their are far better ways and more up front ways of doing so, but they bring something like this out, announce it as if they are doing us all a favor when no one wants it and we all know why they are doing it.

People do praise the devs and we look forward to future plans like ants etc but honest feed back is just that. Only because they are a dev it does not mean you cannot give you opinion and not using reddit i cant comment on the people their but if they are always going to praise and not give crital feedback, then its pointless feed back tbh.
  12. CompletelyDeadCoyote

I wonder if suiscides and teamkills will give the revenge rewards.
  13. DeadlyPeanutt

if it costs 25DBC, it seems like a little cash cow the dev are putting in place when larger issues need to be worked on in the game.

I'll ignore it unless it gets in my way.
  14. DeadlyPeanutt

more interesting things to be implimented, besides things that need to be fixed:
    TDM areans
    duel areas
    player made maps for CTF and TDM
    just a few ideas to broaden the appeal of the game
  15. Taemien

Its very hard to take this statement seriously. I mean most do, because its Planetside. But what if it was Burger King?

What if for two years you went to Burger King once every week and ordered something and got something completely different, something less desirable. Then you went on Facebook to explain your dislike for Burger King.. but had plans to go back later in the week.

You would be questioned why you are going back. In not a nice way either.

So why is Planetside 2 any different? Sure.. there's no other burger joints in town. But if you're going to Burger King for a burger and they keep giving you chicken instead. Why bother?

Lets be honest with ourselves here. This isn't simple disgruntlement or minor frustration. Everyone (not just the one I quoted) is throwing words and phrases around like:

1. Ripped Off
    2. Nerfed
    3. Not getting what was paid for
    4. Incompetence
    5. Tricked
    6. Sanctioned Harassment
    7. Bait and Switch

and so on.

Some of these allegations are about what could be construed as illegal activity. Like some players even accuse Daybreak of doing illicit decisions and activities. But yet they still play, they still support (playing is support, you give paying customers like me something to shoot at). And many of them still sub, buy DBC, and so on.

I don't believe you all are stupid. You can type, make accounts, play a FPS, ect. So It has to be exaggeration. So I have ask. Should we take you all seriously when you exaggerate? And why?

Because frankly, I don't. And I have no issue calling out such exaggerations.

Do I think the game is perfect? Far from it. But I'm not going to make a post saying I was cheated. If I feel cheated, I'll silently disappear from the forums and game. Spending my money elsewhere, playing a different game, posting in a different games' forums saying how bad this one is.

I don't exaggerate. And my words carry meaning.
    • Up x 1
  16. Stormsinger

Well yeah - the Flashlight color options would have been purely cosmetic, with absolutely no combat value. Hats are cosmetic, fun parts for vehicles are cosmetic, none serve as function other then looking awesome. It affects nothing about the game other then how cool you look - charging for things like that in a F2P game is how they make money in a non P2W fashion. They have a programming / support / development / fixing stuff / player support / support staff for the coding staff / management saleries to pay. I'd prefer they be able to keep paying their employees so the game stays up. If that takes looking under boulders for pennies in order to keep the game non pay-to-win, i'm for it.

Yep, it was an example of player feedback affecting the outcome of an irritating situation, and at least for the most part, i'm happy with the outcome.

Yep, the PPA is currently useless to an extreme degree, and as I play all three factions, i've been affected by almost every major nerf you're referring to. Most needed the nerf (players warned that items were OP in advance, prior to release... but they were released anyway. We're currently in that state with the Gatekeeper, I expect the nerf hammer in a few months once stats have solidified, and the current development efforts are concluded. The Mjolnir could use some tuning too (Buffs to velocity, perhaps QOL changes for fire mechanics.)

Firstly, I realize that LMG's need attention (My own ideas on the topic - Basically, remove .75 ADS on LMGs, balance the Orion to compare to the MSW-R / Anchor, replace VS Default LMG, and balance things from there. )

LMG Balance thoughts:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?posts/3283570/

Secondly, rebalancing small arms is a huge undertaking (Which would be required for any major LMG reworks) and I believe it's a much larger project then they anticipated. (The removal of .75 ADS would have buffed the Orion due to the stats added to make it equal to the other CQB LMGs (Anchor / MSW-R)

Here's an overview of all faction small-arms I wrote up for another post, if you're at all interested in the current balance status there. The LMG rework would impact all factions tremendously, as HAs are the most played class in the game. (And the VS only has the Orion going for it currently, but buffing the Orion while it's a default weapon would make VS HA's even more OP from a large-scale perspective, while leaving other classes redundant even more then they already are. Any nerfs to Orion as it stands will leave the VS firmly in second or third place in every single small-arms category, and it's already third for MBT primaries, and now in secondaries as well. )

Faction balance thoughts:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/ps2/index.php?posts/3287057/

As for LMG changes, they have a new ES LMG finished, they just need to "Hook it up" within their system (Art assets and animations are done, stats are supposedly done, but the weapon itself isnt usable yet, so there's a new one coming. They may be waiting until that one gets rolled out, then rebalancing the others ones around it while everyone is distracted with the new ones, which... would actually be a fairly good diversionary tactic.

There is a difference between honest feedback, and mean spirited feedback - the Devs are people too, and having a hoard of gamers poop on their every word is not constructive (Not saying this is you, but that's the general trend.) , nor is it incentive to tell players a single thing.

They are paid to code for the game, and as BBurnes (A dev) told someone the other day, any community communication they do is at their discretion, they don't have to, it's not in the job description. The only guy I know that is paid to put up with us is RadarX, and the man needs a raise. Constructive feedback with realistic suggestions is helpful, but, "F*** This feature, gimme LMG changes!" is not constructive, and that's generally what i've seen a few people comment in this thread alone.

Honesty (and critical feedback for bad features) is important, and the devs really don't communicate enough in general, in my opinion. - the Q&A section on Reddit the other day was fairly constructive overall - And for the most part, it was a good event.

(Here's a handy list of all questions that got Dev answer:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/3m4vlp/list_of_all_dev_responses_in_qa/ )
  17. 000AmidimA000

The bounty system - rewarding campers and discouraing pro-team gameplay since 10/2/2015. Just what we always wanted DBG, more rewards for campers, and another incentive for players to cheat. Not only that, but people who go after the campers with bounties on their heads will ALSO not be supporting their team in trying to capture objectives. This is a lose-lose situation for team-players.

DBG, can you for once stop stroking off the BR 100 Veterans and for ONCE do something that promotes and aids new players so the game can grow and attract a larger player base? For ****'s sake, this game is on a serious downhill trajectory.
    • Up x 1
  18. bPostal

It's not the most ******** thing they've added to the game but it certainly isn't drawing me back to the login screen. Kinda off putting actually.
  19. Crator

I don't think it really fits with this game. Funny thing is most of the posts in the In-Development thread said the same thing but they still decided to implement it.
  20. allattar

Cant see what the fuss is about. You dont want to pay for a bounty, then you dont pay. Its not a magic spot the enemy marker. Just seems like such a minor thing.
    • Up x 1