The Bounty System:

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by HadesR, Oct 2, 2015.

1. Lena_993

Some secret meeting in a base of Nanite Systems:
    A: So we have this bounty feature which probably cost us an hour of programming. Looks pretty good, shiny new symbol and shiny new button, there are 100 more important issues but we made this highest priority anyway.
    B: So how can we assure that the players won't actually use the feature?
    A: Hmm we could give it a useless reward or make it pay-only.
    B: Why not both? We need more money for our mediocre zombie-game anyway.
    A: *thumbs up*

I just don't understand why they waste their time on this. It is a feature that will hardly be used, especially while cash only. It doesn't make the gameplay any different and even if it is only a small update it still used up time which would be better spent elsewhere. Did they give up trying to make the game any better?
    • Up x 3
  2. Villanuk

If You choose to keep buying a burger on a sale by sale basis, that is your stupidity if you kept getting the wrong order. If for EG, you pay for a internet service then they reduce the speed then you would not be a happy and well within your right to complain.

So you have brought something from ps2, not on sale by sale basis, it was an item, so you have every right to complain, more so when it became all to common. As such, i cancelled my membership, so i made my point as many others have done, hence the decline in paying members. Do i support the game yes, but i will pay for it no. Could i be silent yes, but unless you offer your feelings then your not helping the game, if they choose to listen or not is up to them as least you have made your feeling clear as to why you/i dont pay and they can take that on board or not, it matters not to myself.

As to some of the silly statements, indeed some are, some are not, it all depends on your point of view.
  3. Booface

I don't understand why they made it cash only. Even from a business perspective, if you make this a desirable feature and allow people to buy it with certs, that whets their appetite for when they don't have enough certs (or don't want to spend certs) and they'll switch to cash.

Hey, make the reward bigger, and then make it cost an equal amount in certs to the reward. So if you buy it with certs you are XP neutral but get the fun of the feature to make you want it more. Then if you buy it with cash then you are basically getting free XP. Best of both worlds for everybody, and more users interacting with the feature will translate to more profit for DBG to keep Planetside running.
    • Up x 1
  4. TheDarSin

My thoughts on it is pretty simple.
    Sweet, free 25 extra exp after my three kills.
    • Up x 1
  5. Demigan

Didn't they say the exact same thing when MAX spots were updated? It's not like they are auto-spotted.
  6. FateJH

Sites also explicitly stated that the indicator should behave like normal. That means any deviation we can consider and report as a bug.
  7. Voodoo Bliss

OK I've just tried this feature.

The first time I got killed by spandex monkeys I saw a big button that said "Get Revenge" I thought why the hell not its only 25 DBC 10 deaths later I was out of cash!

Its just so insidious!

Big Revenge button! How can I *not* click it aarrgh I'm penniless now!
  8. Villanuk

Well you know my feelings about Reddit, i just wish they would interact here more often and i feel if they became more personalized, then people would be less inclined to be so harsh with them, its human nature.
  9. DeadlyPeanutt

lol, you get charged 25DBC for EACH time the idiot gets killed?

what a RIP :)
  10. Megalegs

I think I got this right, you pay 25 dbc, you get 100xp, 40% of a cert.

They are selling certs.

It seems desperate
  11. FateJH

It takes three 10K DBC for $85 deals to go from BR1 to BR15. $255 for 478 certs, or $1 for 1.87 certs. This is such an abysmal means of obtaining experience or certifiction that anyone who is willing to go through with it should be applauded for their absurdity.

Edit: I check the opposite side of the scale too. The smallest denomination is 500 DBC for $5.00, which is 20 bounties placed. That'd be 2000 experience and 8 certs. That's a slightly worse going rate of $1 for 1.6 certs.

Edit 2: Let me go one step further. The Reflex Sight 1x costs 50 DBC and 30 certs. That's either $5 dollars in DBC directly and you have 450 DBC left over, or $20 dollars in conversion to bounties and 2 certs left over.
    • Up x 1
  12. Fishbread

If I had to guess, PS2 is currently not generating enough money to let DBG dedicate the time and resources they would need to to fix the many issues the game has, the ones the players are complaining about most. Frankly it seems like quite a big task and with potentially no significant revenue increase, which ideally you would want from your time and resource investments. From a marketing standpoint, the bounty system is a small investment that directly opens up a revenue source using a simple, common mechanic - the tendency of someone to get mad when they die. On paper it makes a lot of sense.

In my opinion, the game will never grow unless it is fundamentally solid. There are frankly a lot of outstanding issues with basic mechanics that have persisted for some time, things that dim the experience for players new and old. The game itself is quite the undertaking, and in my opinion needs more than a small team to make it work. I don't actually know what the situation over at DBG is, but judging by the fact after several months the bulk of game updates are attempts to increase revenue, with only very minor bug fixes, it seems like the changes needed to make the game grow and thrive will not be coming. I was excited when I heard about "PS2 2.0" over the summer, it sounded like things were finally going to pick up, but... well, guess not.
  13. Wargrim

I have seen bounty icons on teammates. Why? Want me to TK them? Why do i get to see the icon?
  14. Megalegs

I agree, its not a good rate of return.

I'm struggling to see any other value, it seems not to influence your game in any way otherwise.
  15. OldMaster80

Basically this. If I should put a bounty on someone all the times I get mad because I've been killed... hell I'd spend thousands of €.
    This is an attempt to monetize on players rage but seriously, who would throw real money in this?
    • Up x 1
  16. Ronin Oni

[IMG]
  17. 000AmidimA000

The "spend money here" box when I get killed makes me want to punch something every time I see it. Can we place a bounty on the dev who thought this system would be a good idea?
    • Up x 3
  18. Gromwort

If putting a bounty cost 25DBC then collecting a bounty should be something like 10DBC + 100exp, otherwise i am not planning ever use this feature.
  19. Crayv

The game does need more Cert sinks. My NC is simply swimming in them and I just spend them on whatever these days so being able to choose certs (I think about 3 to 5 certs would be about right) or just spend a quarters worth of Dank Bucks would be a good option.
  20. Pelojian

eh why not cert gifts? pay 100 certs for the ability to gift a dude 50 certs. limit to how many a player can receive per week to limit abuse, let you give to a specific person or do an RNG roll where an ally in the hex randomly receives the gift with say chat informing everyone who the gifter is, that is was randomly assigned and the winner.

TBH i don't see bounties having much impact. all i see in that special snowflake dorito is "this dude made someone rage or this dude made a few people rage" kill them because they are probably good xp for high threat bonus not because some rager put a bounty up.