The Aegis Shield is the best max ability in the whole game.

Discussion in 'MAX' started by chilly154, May 23, 2013.

1. chilly154

If you don't know to how to use the aegis shield. Then you should because it's probably the best ability in the whole game when you find you're self in a situation. You can owned air crafts when use this. I bet a max that knows how to use a aegis shield can beat air craft unit. Its sad that most people think this sucks. When ever you are getting camp in a tower you can get group of maxes to punch you're self's out of the tower with a aegis shield: you couldn't do that with any other abilities. People have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to the aegis shield.
    • Up x 6
  2. Steakbeard

Oh okay, fine. Sorry, our mistake. GUYS? GUYS!? We're wrong. Chilly says the ability is fine, its fine guys, apparently its way better than a speed boost or a double rate of fire buff. Yeah, yeah, its amazing apparently. Doesn't matter that it doesn't cover the max, or protect it from splash damage, chilly says its fine, and he's VS so he knows what he's talking about.

/sarcasm off.
    • Up x 26
  3. Dethfield

Chilly is right, The shield is awesome, and if you cant figure out how to use it properly, then you need to stop playing MAX. As with many of the "UP/OP" threads in this board, the phrase "learn to play" applies here.
    • Up x 5
  4. curly

Double the fire rate? Don't know what ability your talking about but it's not lockdown.
    • Up x 1
  5. Mastachief

The nc max shield is either broken or some cruel joke. Also where is the NC's burster buff?
    • Up x 3
  6. Bape

You are a joke are you really a NC?
  7. Plunkies

Of course it's the best thing ever. You can trust a vanu, right? Surely you don't think trading the ability to fire your weapon and move quickly in exchange for blocking a small and limited amount of shots from directly in front of you is a bad deal, right?
    • Up x 1
  8. Sandpaperypaper

Okay. I'm STILL convinced that we got the short end of the stick when we're putting what basicly ammounts to a riot shield, up against the VS and their now "Super Max" and the TR with their "Turret from Hell". But I will admit... what we got is still damn sexy. Being able to block bullets, grenades, mine blasts, rockets..... C4 to a lesser extent. It's highly possible to get blind sided though and if you get caught in the middle of a heavy cross fire, that shield isn't gonna save you no matter how good you might think you are at using it.

Still though... damn sexy. Was just in an assault on one of the towers in Indar, a handful of us Max's marched up to the front line and just formed a shield wall in front of the enemy spawn. It was hilarious to just watch the guys in the spawn room START to come running out, see the shield wall and just go, "Nope.avi" then run back into their spawn. :D
    • Up x 2
  9. loleator

At least you can still flank them and use C4 to kill them as usual. Good luck trying to C4 a fast vs max now.
  10. PS2Freak

Aegis Shield is Pos.
    • Up x 2
  11. JonboyX

I have an idea what I'm talking about. I have extended clips on my max. I don't EVER use the aegis shield on a burster. It's FAR FAR FAR better to be able to use charge to avoid all your rockets, then kill you with my extended clip. You're speaking utter rubbish, frankly. When someone uses the word "bet" - what they mean is - they've not tried it so they do not know what they're talking about. What is ALWAYS more useful is more damage output.

The only situation I've seen so far where an aegis is useful - having tested it in small squads for some time - is when you're moving pretty much solo and you can use it to get a reload respite. So basically; it's useful for an AI max only, when taking on multiple enemies one by one... i.e. an area where it's already just fine.
    • Up x 1
  12. Chubrokoli

The problem is that a normal not MAX guy should be able to kill a MAX alone, in SOE's opinion
    Maybe the other classes need to lose their shield and give the MAX a extra shield to make it more powerful of course the MAX has to be more expensive to get.

A question to chilly did you ever play other factions some time and i mean longer than BR15?
  13. Dethfield

Yes i am NC, i am primarily a MAX player, and i love the shield. The ZOE? Yeah its fast, increases firepower, but you can also one-shot them with a decimator. And dont tell me they are too fast to hit, its not true. Many players have already pulled it off.

Get better.
  14. Bill Hicks

Oh good the shield is fine, thank god!!!.
  15. Bape

Who the hell is talking about ZOE lol? yes you are not a NC.
  16. Purg

Went straight to level 5 with my shield, was being fired upon by two infantry in front of me and I was still losing health. Not as much but I thought it was meant to block the lot?

Was able to attempt to solo a Prowler by putting up the shield when they would volley their fire at me, sadly due to the maneuverability of the Prowler versus the Ravens, I couldn't hit the damn thing. Ultimately had to retreat due to splash than any direct hits.

Not sold on the shield as yet but haven't written it off. Saw one MAX seemingly running with the shield. We need to be able to move faster than walking pace - if the shield is an object that projectiles strike to mitigate damage, have the thing waving about so that it still provides some benefit but doesn't completely cover you. Moving 45 degrees from your target should give you half decent cover.
  17. MasterTater

You are invincible - yea of course not taking any dmg - soaking up 3-4 heavy tank round to protect a sunderer or your own troops in a door way while they cap a point is completely useless - Completely useless to block a door while your troops shoot through the laser shields.

YES - COMPLETELY USELESS THIS SHIELD - INVINCIBILITY IS COMPLETE BULLSHEIT!!!! While the TR can not move on lockdown and VS RECEIVE DOUBLE DMG while moving on average with soldier speed but only getting +5% dmg increase on Empire specific weapons.

/realism still on - hope it transfers to some of those sheit spammers in this thread here.
  18. ChaosReaperr

So I have to agree with the OP, from seeing my own VS ZOE comrades horribly throw themselves to the slaughter using ZOE to no true mobility benefit (I'm sorry but strafing speed doesn't mean much in actual doding fire except at point blank), I've seen far more Aegis shields be used to good effect.

Now I don't agree about the whole AA thing, mostly it seems like a great way to enhance the already great NC ability for QCQ, though I've seen it used to good effect at mid and semi long ranges too to get to cover.

I really think in the end the Aegis shield is the best ability when used right... ZOE honestly I think works against 90% of the VS who can't get over: "Sweet I can ADAD fast!". ZOE has been great for the pure mobility of putting yourself in good AV attack positions, flanking enemies faster than they would expect, etc... but it's defense debuff is painful when trying to ADAD someone in a head on push and actually I think is feeding cert farming for the other factions right now.
  19. ChaosReaperr

Charge was/is a far better escape ability.
    • Up x 2
  20. acksbox

If you get caught in the middle of a heavy crossfire with anything besides nearly full health, Charge at the ready, and cover within ~30m, you are dead.

So yeah, don't get surrounded 101...

Charge is the escape ability, for all factions.