Tank Mines and C4 are OP

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Weterman, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Movoza

Again this thread? It's probably been said already, but I'm too tired to read the whole thread.
    There are 3 counters to C4 and mines.
    1. Situational awareness.
    Looking around, it is often obvious where an enemy would come from. That, together with sometimes looking at the really unexpected C4 places, can provide you with ample time to kill or evade anyone trying to kill you. Situational awareness can be buffed incredibly with a proximity radar.
    2. Placement.
    Where you place yourself is incredibly important. Your cover also limits your field of view, leaving friendlies behind means that they can't intercept anyone trying to kill you. Lastly, positioning is incredibly important in or near bases for example. It is much easier for infantry to move there, so better stay away or stay as short as possible.
    3. Movement.
    Movement is one of the biggest counter against infantry. You can easily outrun them, even when starting up (except a Vanguard backing up). Staying a long time in one place also gives people the time for long term tactics that give them time to come close, as well as the big numbers game. Eventually one of the infantry will come through, with either luck, skill and most likely both, and then blow you up. If you keep moving, they will need to change their tactics all the time, making risks incredibly high, often near impossible.

If you apply the above tactics, the possible power of these weapons equals nothing in reality. The amount of people dying from these things can be reduced by at least half. My own experience in a tank leaves one thing in my tank that I fear. Other tanks, sometimes aircraft. But they fear me more, as I race my AP lightning with stealth frame around, surprise them from behind and destroy much more than one LA or any other type of infantry (MAX Ravens or whatever) can do. Somehow this isn't OP. I think that is weird.
  2. Demigan

You can back up almost faster than LA's can fly. You can also start driving forwards... Since they would only be able to drop 1 C4 on you, if they don't miss because "surprise! I ain't a noob who's gonna sit here and wait for you to drop them". That's how I do it, and that's how I survive...
    If I just don't shoot them out of the air.

You've probably already been corrected for it, but C4 does not OHK tanks, you need 2 C4. Nor do LA carry tank mines. If you really didn't notice someone in the time it took to fly towards you, drop 2 C4 and detonate... You simply didn't pay enough attention.
    Get other tanks nearby, get one Heavy to guard your back. One Heavy can annihilate any LA that wants to C4 you, or engineer for that matter. If he dies, you know something is up. Stop farming, stop sitting in the same spot over and over again and think that this time, you are safe. I rarely get C4red, and when I do it's because I'm in the middle of a hectic battle and didn't see him coming. Bad luck, too bad. Would be the same as not seeing an enemy Lightning or MBT flank/backstab you, difference is that with my AP lightning I can often kill 2 or 3 tanks in a row before they even realize I'm there. Somehow that's not OP...
  3. Huishe

>br28
    >magrider time used: 7h 31m

Yeah, you obviously have enough experience to talk about nerfing this and that.
  4. Waratorium

Carbine? I just back up, and either
    1# Shoot the LA out of the air with my lightnings AP or Heat cannon
    or
    2# keep backing up until the LA runs out of jetpack and has to land, then shoot him with the aforementioned AP or Heat cannon.

hopping out of my tank is something I prefer to avoid in combat situations.
  5. blackboemmel

Any Medals on his OHK-C4/Tank mines already? o_O
  6. Huishe

7. stalkish

Why is everyone only talking about LAs or infantry, LOL that is not how its done.....
    Get a wraith flash
    Put a Fury on it
    Stick c4 to it
    Drive directly into enemy vehicle while shooting Fury
    Fury detonates c4 instantly killing everyone including yourself

Combine this with waiting in T mode (third person) over a ridge, out of LOS of your target, just waiting for your target to be fighting some1 else and its a guaranteed kill every time.
    The game sounds bugging out and not playing also amplifies the situation.

How i think c4 should be:
    2 types -
    High explosive c4 that has only splash damage that doesnt harm vehicles but kills all troops in the blast radius, possibly countered by flak 5.
    AP c4 or shaped charge c4. This would be the tank killer and would have to be placed onto the vehicle it intends to kill (still thrown like it is now). This change would mean just a little more prescision is required when c4ing a vehicle. Couldnt lay 2 c4 like a mine for instance. This version would do only direct damage, no splash (or possibly a low damage 0.5m like the AP turrets) so it would be ineffective against troops.

The change would mean having to pick the correct type of c4 for each action, instead of simply carrying c4 at all times for whenever you might need it, tank, infantry cluster, max, etc.
    ATM i feel c4 is too versatile, ive no problem with the damage it does, just that everyone and their dog can carry it at all times just incase (infils aside).anyways.
  8. barunedpat

VS C-4 having more kills than NC and TR? Nerf confirmed!
  9. Jaquio

I already addressed this.

Those are MBT stats. The reason NC and TR don't have as many kills is because it's harder for LA to kill Magriders because they're always moving. Movement is key.

I think C4 is absolutely fine, but I think that means changes could be made to the Prowler's Anchor mode.
  10. Nerazim

This. Radar will notify you of 90% of C4 attempts assuming you can use your minimap properly.
  11. p10k56

Protip:
    even slowest tank in PS2 is much more faster then LA thats mean faster then C4
    so move goddamn!!
  12. Alarox

That's because Magriders die from C4 less often than Prowlers/Vanguards.
  13. LightningPro

Welcome to C4-Side:)
    So if you are a Tank driver or a MAX you must get paranoid about it! Everyone has it Heavy-Medic-Engineer and of
    course the Light Assault the only one which can´t use it now ist the invisible Guy waiting behind a box for you with
    his SMG.
    Maybe you think C4 isn´t balanced or overpowered? Go Forumside - no chance it doesn´t matter how good your arguments are. Because to many have it to many use it to many want it and C4 Fairys are defending their playstyle.
    I think that we have a number of things in this Game which aren´t well balanced.
  14. The_Blazing

Are we playing the same game? Everything you mentioned has already been "fixed".

AT mines are limited to Engineer.

1 brick of C4 does less than 3/4 of a tank's health. Now of course, you can take two, but sticking two takes twice the time and 150 nanites. In my experience as an occasional C4 LA, those tanks that I can instagib with 2 bricks are not paying attention. If any tank knows I'm coming, I'll usually get killed or at least evaded.

The only "nerf" I could see making sense is limiting AV ability through C4 in other classes. What I mean is, if only Engineer and LA had C4, you would not have to be paranoid about literally every class approaching your tank. And since 99% of C4 tank kills come from LAs or Engineers anyway, it's not going to be that big of a nerf to the Medic or the Heavy (which are the two classes that in my opinion have the ability to carry C4 unnecessarily).
  15. Kalendric

Tank mines aren't overpowered. Given how few an Infantryman can carry and deploy, it's relatively easy to avoid or check the most likely spots to run into them. They're slow to use as well - if you give someone enough time to blow you up with them then it probably was you're fault.

C4 is a little different. It used to be stupidly overpowered back when a single LA could stockpile 40 at a time and everyone could abuse drop pods to dive bomb 400 resource cost Sunderers on 20 minute cooldowns. But ever since the resource revamp I don't think it's such an issue.
    • Up x 1
  16. z1967

I usually just use a carbine because I'm going for an auraxium and I find it easier to do than try and hit them with an AP cannon. Definitely good for you if you can consistently plug fairies with your cannon.
  17. ATRA_Wampa-One

Allah be praised, this guy knows what's up.

But in response to the thread's title... not they're not.

/thread.
    • Up x 1
  18. Copasetic

[IMG]

If you're one of the tanks in this image, you're probably going to get C4'd. And you're going to deserve it.
    • Up x 1
  19. Goldmonk

My C4 will be placed...soon

[IMG]
  20. WorldOfForms

If you're going to complain about something being overpowered, you'd better at least understand how that "overpowered" thing actually works.

1 C4 does not kill a tank, not even a lightning.
    2 C4 can't kill a Sunderer
    LA can't carry Tank Mines