Tank Mines and C4 are OP

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by Weterman, Nov 12, 2014.

1. Jerox

Even though I really hate the slow poke reverse speed of the Vanguard this is pretty funny none the less haha.
    Vanguard reverse speed buff plz :D?
  2. Goldmonk

I find it amusing we have a person complaining about C4 and tank mines. Should we include AI mines in this discussion as well? Unless you put at least 2 C4's on the back of a Lightning, you won't OHK a full health Tank. Tank mines are so small and easy to avoid. Sure they are powerful, but they kind of need to be.
  3. Imperial Sect

Tank mines aren't strong enough. 1 mine should OHK a tank of any type.
  4. Doc Jim

This probably has been pointed out but LAs can't carry tank mines.

I used to hate C4 fairies but now I'm not so sure anymore. If you're defending a base from a roughly equal number of enemies and pulling armour from the next base is not convenient then you have to rely on: AV-MAX units, heavies, engineers and anyone carrying explosives.
    MAX-units cost resources, the HA's launchers and engineers MANA's have a looong TTK and ALL types of deployable explosives cost resources and involve a considerable risk when placing them.
    If you were to suggest reducing the damage of C4 and tank mines by 50% while reducing their cost by 50% and increasing the carry capacity of each class by 100% (effectively changing only the amount of time you spend placing explosives), I might agree.

This is not the case so I'll go with "explosives are fine".
  5. Tuco

No dorito spotting
    No enemy nametags at all
    No tank 3rd person view
    Slow turret traverse speed
    Slow turning

You can run circles around enemy tanks even though you're a lowly rifleman and have no anti tank capabilities to speak of, and have no defense against tanks either, and these tanks have enough ammunition to kill you 2,000 times.
  6. Takoita

Only thing I could add is that squad deploy + galaxies + lots of people with explosives jumping down on your sunderer can get problematic, but that is, IMHO, an issue with squad deploy, not with the explosives.
    • Up x 1
  7. Movoza

I'm confused. What is your point of this? This is planetside, not some weird game.
    If your point is realism, his grenades would have been effective if used better. Further, even the lowest RPG can completely destroy a tank. It doesn't really matter how much armour they put on it.
    Going to PS2 from there, C4 would take out the tank, and any tanks within 20m with one brick. Tank mines would also instagib tanks.

Or maybe you should better point out what you want, because this doesn't help the discussion really :S
  8. LightningPro

That is not fully true. You can destroy all Sunderers with 2X C4 excluding those with activatet Deploymend shield
    and Blockade armor up to level two. With Blockade armor level one Sunderer is nearly instant destroyed by two C4
    there are only a few seconds before it explodes.
  9. Fatal_Finn

I think C4 and Tank Mines are fine as they are.
  10. Nasher

C4 is fine. If anything it should be buffed some. It's the only special weapon that LA get and 2 other classes can also use it (including HA).

Also 2 C4 will destroy maybe 1 in 50 sunderers these days. It's MUCH more effective to go engineer and drop mines under it. But if the enemy allows you to run that close, drop 3 mines and then shoot the mines, it deserves to be destroyed.
  11. Tuco

It means there are other, elegant ways, to balance things other than the fat fingered solution.
  12. LightningPro

Seems some exaggerate because they are not able to C4 every Sunderer alone they have located. Of course
    today Deployment shield makes it not easier.
    But look at the old days there was a big number of Sunderers protected by Blockade armor and you were not
    able to destroy those with two C4.
  13. FieldMarshall

"Tank Mines and C4 are OP"
    *Magrider avatar*
  14. Mxiter

C4 is fine
    AT mines are UP
    Good pilots on vehicles are OK
    bad pilots and vehicles are UP.

Please, buff bad pilots skillz /thread.
  15. Weterman

They kill magriders in 1 shot. And they kill sundys in one shot.

Everyone who's saying that c4 cant kill vehicles, then why does a light assault run up to a sundy and drop something then run away and it blows up? Why make stuff up just so the argument is in your favour? 1 C4 does blow up any land vehicle. Or whatever else it is that the la is carrying.
  16. Demigan

Eh, no.

Vanguard, Prowler and Magrider all have 4000 health.
    Lightning has 3000 health
    Lightning survives one C4 brick
    All MBT's survive one C4 brick.

In fact, here's the current damage C4 does:
    Raw Damage: Can't find it
    Resist values: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Nv0at7uRGtwYAVq3vgh8RJnceRswI1CZRFKnF-dT4_w/edit#gid=1609408229
    This link shows that C4 gets 40% extra damage against Sunderers, 100% extra damage against Lightnings, 125% extra against Vanguards and 150% extra against Prowlers+Magriders.

In general people agree that one C brick deals 60-80% damage against a Lightning. A lightning has 3/4rth the health of an MBT, but also get's 2/3rd the damage of C4 compared to the MBT's (Vanguard is the exception).

So please explain to me how the Lightning can survive with 20% health left, while the Magrider, which has more health, armor but less resistance can somehow not survive while the Lightning can? Also explain how a Magrider with the same health, armor and resistances as a Prowler, is supposed to be killed by one brick, while a Prowler doesn't die from one brick?
    And now for your strangest mistake: The Sunderer. A Sunderer has 4000 health, the exact same as all MBT's. It also get's only 40% extra damage from C4, while the Prowler gets 150% extra damage and survives. Somehow the Sunderer can be one-shot by C4 according to you?

Apparently you never payed attention, and you never used C4 yourself. You need 2 C4 bricks to take out any vehicle from the Lightning and up... to an MBT. You can deal enough damage to Sunderers to finish it off with underbarrel grenades and explosive crossbow bolts if you aren't interupted. But otherwise the Sunderer will survive.
    C4 is useful, no doubt. C4 is powerful, no doubt, but I have not "made up" any arguments to support my case. You in fact just did, or you made wrong assumptions by having too little experience in the matter.
    • Up x 1
  17. PostalDude

You are in a tank, you have wheels. Staying too long in one spot is asking for someone to tankmine you.

I personally like to run over them when they try to sneak up on me.
  18. QuantumSerpent

First of all, it's easy not to get C4'ed as a tank. I've been C4'ed once (not using tanks all that much, I'll admit) and I wasn't paying attention. The simple act of moving and paying attention makes it nearly impossible to get C4'ed.

In the last two days since I unlocked C4, it's also extremely difficult to get it on someone who's paying attention. By now, if the tank isn't standing still, I don't even bother because chances are I'll die before I can even place my one brick, never mind if I had two.

Also, to those commenting on the realism:
    In realism terms (i.e. real life), one guy with an anti-tank rocket will insta-kill an MBT. A brick of C4, same, easily. So, if you want to keep it at half-realistic... fine, nerf C4. But Heavy launchers get insta-kills. Happy? No? Then stop griping about realism.
  19. Dualice

So much this. We must be kindred spirits from differing factions (guessing you main NC).

Though on the separating from the pack bit, it can be just as fun/challenging to hit multiple tunnel-vision farmers with the same salvo.