Space Combat in Planet Side 2 - Ver 2

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by savageshark, Feb 27, 2013.

1. savageshark

I see what you mean about the stations getting lonely. Yeah I too am not a fan of sitting around.

Thought I don't like the idea of implementing Gravity as a feature. I'd hate for Gravity to be a conflicting issue with either space stations or ships during combat. I mean I can see the importance of it (being space and all), but I don't want players to get sick on vertigo or confused about where they are. I'd rather have fun in space combat rather than worry about floating around in Zero Gravity.
  2. m0nsta

Incredible post. I didn't read every line but I think I got an idea of where the whole space should take place, and so far I think it hasn't got enough binding with players in the current game we have here. It kinda sounds like a huge mod, you would play on a different server, with players mostly interested for space combat only. Like, it should be a totally separated continent/map for this space fight only..The distance of having an organized outfit doing an operation and the Platoon Leader on the ground (0 meter) with squads nearby tactical areas/bases (0 till 500meter) in the air (0 till 2000 meter) and in space (2000 till 10000000000 meter). It kinda sepurates th

I am definitely gonna read your full post soon, but you have to confess that what you dropped here is huge and will drastically change this game as we now know it. And I guess everybody that plays PlanetSide2 is looking forward to see new content, have more (active) continents, new vehicles, weapons, different mechanics, etc. But I think you will have more luck for finding acceptance for a lot of your good ideas if you simply reply and merge into the discussion to similar topics and basically cut all these pages your wrote into paragraphs spread them out over the while SOE forum.

Offtopic, ever played BSGO? A lot of the spaceship ideas sounds very similar.
  3. savageshark

It's meant to be more of an expansion rather than a mod. The idea is to allow space and ground combat to work together.

I have not, nor do I recognize the acronym. Much of these ideas are based on my own and are not based on any other game.
  4. Eyeklops

BSGO = Battlestar Galactica Online
    • Up x 1
  5. adaroe

finallly... read it all... question... so low orbit allows ships to support ground troops, can ships fight other ships in low orbit? how do they go to low orbit? really how does this low orbit:high orbit system work exactly?
  6. savageshark

A Very good question.

First off: "Can ships fight other ships in Low Orbit?" Yes, most definitely. However, the same rules still apply in terms of Rock Paper Shotgun. Meaning a Frigate (being a smaller craft) cannot destroy a larger ship like the Destroyer. It can disable the Destroyer weapons and lower the shields. But a Destroyer is still superior to a Frigate.

"How do they go to low orbit?" That would require some of the programming mechanics on the developers side. But I imagine it would be either (1) While in High Orbit (Space) the pilot sends his/her space ship down towards the Planet Surface. Descending the massive hulk into the planet below and loads the map for the battle field. Or (2) the player hits a button to auto pilot down into the planet surface. The idea is too give the opposing side a chance to stop the ship from going to the Low Orbit and supporting his faction. I also thought it would be an interesting sight to see if the space craft were shot down and is forced to plummet to the surface in a thunderous crash.

"How does this low orbit:high orbit system work exactly?"
    High Orbit
    When in High Orbit (Space) a Ship is free to go in full 3D directions (Up, Down, Turn Side Ways, etc). They will have full use of space to maneuver and attack and dodge. As well as move at full speed.
    While in space, all projectile weapons do not drop from a firing arch.
    When it comes to damage, if a ship loses it's engines it will drift through the void until they are repaired. Or if the ship is to close to the Planet it will be pulled into the Low Orbit map of the planet. If the Engines are not operating by the time it enters Low Orbit, it will crash.

Low Orbit
    While in Low Orbit (Planet Surface) a Ship is limited in it's motion and slowed down. The lack of motion and reduction in speed is caused by the planet's gravity.
    The weapon systems are also affected by the gravity, forcing the pilot and gunners to compensate for a drop in weapons.
    Now when it comes to Crashing the ship. If the ship is at the highest altitude when the engines are disabled it will be destroyed. However, if it is low enough to the surface (I have no idea for altitude yet for the game) it will just crash land and be treated as a base. Which means anybody can capture it. So the crew hands have to get that baby repaired and operational before then. But if they can't repair it on time, the Ship can still be destroyed by another space ship.

I hope this answered some questions for you?
    • Up x 2
  7. savageshark

I'll be posting up some concept drawings I've worked on in the past during this written development soon. I want too make sure people have a good visual of it plays out in my mind. So expect some screenshots soon.
  8. savageshark

I see. But like I said I have not played BSGO.
    Much of these ideas came from watching Star Wars and playing Master of Orion 2.
  9. Shurfire

I could really see this as something amazing. You could have organized drops from a space ship. You could look up into the sky and see your NC ship flying over then out of no where a TR fleet of 3 war ships just smashes it and then leaves. It would be pretty cool.

I think the outfit color idea should have been in the game from the start. I don't agree on the outfit base though.

Other than that it's a great thread and a great idea. Should at least be considered by the devs.
    • Up x 1
  10. savageshark

I'm glad that so many people here approve of the idea so far <3. I truly hope the Devs take notice and at least consider.

Personally I like the idea of the coordinated fleet hovering over a world and sending in a rain of drop pods from the sky. Each pod containing a squad of fighters and larger pods containing tanks.
    I really think the introduction of space battles and ships would add a new way of epic combat. It would require some tweaking for fairness and fun.
  11. HydroBIG BANG

It should be something like this
  12. Gav7x

Sounds like a great idea, keep it up
  13. Shurfire

Yea this would bring in a lot of players. Would be like EVE only free!
  14. savageshark

Actually, I've played EVE before. The only difference is, you can SEE inside your ship and it won't be a typical RPG element. I got bored with EVE after the first 5 minutes in the game. What the POINT of having a Space Ship if I can't see inside it.
  15. m0nsta

I would like to see the titans from BF2142, so the sundies can shoot infantry pods into the air on the huge Space ships, and then take over the ship. Imagine a halfsized floating Biolab with base turrets that can slowly be sent into enemy territory. If the members on the ship are doing a bad job its becomes easy for enemy to get inside and complete objectes that will flip the ownership. But if a well organized outfit managed to claim the ship (or rented it for 1000 certs for 60 minutes) it should be able to do some serious tacticle damage. I would like to see big destructible things, like the Vehicle Ammo depo can be shot down, and it takes an half hour for that Ammo depo to redeploy, or repaired.
  16. savageshark

I have to strongly disagree with that concept for Planet Side 2. BF2142 was a fun game, dont get me wrong. But I don't like the idea of games like Battlefield, Call of Duty or Halo having a game play influence over Planet Side.
  17. Littledood

This all sounds really cool, it would definitely add some much needed spice to PS2.

Plus, as an NC, I would name my ship Firefly.
    • Up x 1
  18. Dasblackman

This is extremely impressive, you've thought of everything. Seriously hoping the devs at least respond to this
  19. lslogin

Extremely nice idea, obviously alot of time and effort has gone in to this, and I would LOVE space combat and everything you described in this.
    One thing I don't think you mentioned is the cost of the different ships. Would it be enough to just have to spend resources, or do you think certs are required?

Again, great post, hope the devs acknowledge this and reply!
  20. savageshark

As a fellow NC, I'd be honored to fly my battle ship along side the Firefly.