Space Combat in Planet Side 2 - Ver 2

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by savageshark, Feb 27, 2013.

1. savageshark

I first want to thank the people who came to my previous post for supporting and encouraging the idea of Space Combat. Today I spent time revising my old documentation on the concept and integrated some of the new ideas from the wonderful people on the previous post.
    I sincerely hope the developers and admins will consider this for a possible expansion into the Planet Side universe.
    I especially hope the Admins will leave up my previous post, to allow visitors to see what was covered?
    http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/...rom-previous-idea-on-ps-1.98242/#post-1302365

Here is what I have gathered so far. I won't lie it is a lot of information. But I hope it will encourage more people into the idea. Thank you :) If you see something I may have missed or would like to contribute, feel free. Due to the size I am doing what I can to keep it short.

Space Ship Combat for Planet Side 2: “Galaxy in Flames”
    Paul Rascher

Index
    1. Introduction
    2. How they are earned
    3. How they Work
    4. Fighting
    5. In Space
    6. Battlefields
    7. Outfits
    1. Outfit Currency
    2. Outfit Flag Ship
    3. Outfit Base types
    i. Planetary Base
    ii. Space Base
    iii. Base Upgrades
    8. Space Ship Commanders
    9. Space Ships
    1. Building Your Space Ship
    2. Space Ship Advantages / Disadvantages
    3. War Ships
    4. Space Support
    10. Space Ship Components.
    1. Space ship Gun Placements
    2. Ship Outer Systems
    3. Ships inner systems
    4. Space ship Upgrades
    5. Ship Commander H.U.D.
    11. Using Maps.
    1. Space Travel
    2. Troop Travel
    12. Space Combat.
    1. Attacking Ships
    2. Space Pilot Controls
    13. Ground Combat.
    1. Planet Weapons
    14. To Prevent Spammers and Wise Guys!

Introduction

Once upon a time, when Planet Side 1 was still engaged in endless combat, I had an idea. This idea had been bouncing around in my head for years. However, as time passed, many players left. In my own effort too help restore interest in the game I began working on introducing a new concept to the game: The chance to pilot a star ship and bring them into battle. Each ship varied in size, firepower and class, maintaining a balance between them. Some ships were strictly dedicated to support, while in contrast, a larger ship acted as the main attack craft: transporting infantry and vehicles alike. The introduction of space combat would allow Planet Side players to engage in combat through the black of space by means of new vehicles, other than the typical warships and engage any opposing space ship in low orbit of the worlds.
    Much of these ideas are from my past list for PS1 and converted to work for PS2. So please bear with me

How they are earned

In the past, Planet Side 1 had two(2) rank systems: Battle Rank(B.R.) which is used now, and Command Rank (C.R.) earned by squad/platoon leaders. Previously, I imagined players with a C.R. of 3 to 5 (5 being the limit) would be qualified to pilot a star ship. With the current command ranking in Planet Side 2, I can see that feature playing along with the option.
    Players who've purchased the first two certifications (certs): Squad Beacon and Command Chat would be offered a Cert for piloting (yes piloting) their own star ship. Once purchased, the star ship can be upgraded in the same manner as a vehicle. If the player earns enough Cert points or enough SOE CASH, he/she may upgraded to a higher class ship and upgrade that type as needed. Thus the player now has access to two(2) ships and their load outs.
    Now keep in mind that these ships WILL have the same restrictions as ground & air vehicles, such as a high cert/soe cash amount for purchase, cost of new weapons, resources from maps and a timer upon purchase. So nobody get to be a god like player here. You have to earn that ship.

How they Work

Each ship would be like a mobile base, flying over the planet. Players can spawn to a ship for equipment and deploy vehicles (if the ship is equipped for the task). Players onboard the ship would also be allowed to operate the various weapon platforms too support the ship. As well as repair and defend as needed.
    The owner of the ship will have the ability to go into low orbit (supporting the ground forces) or High Orbit and fight off enemy space ships. The pilot will have full control of the ship and its systems. From weapons fire, ordering the troops on board, flight, shielding, and so on. The player will be in sole control of his/her ship and is responsible for its protection and the onboard crew.
    There would be a communication system, much like the Proxy, Squad, Platoon & Outfit chat in game, which the Pilot would discuss with the troops on plans and events.
    Troops on board would be offered a chance to deploy any vehicle types for space combat or ground combat (if the ship is equipped for it). If they do not have a preference in vehicles, then players may op to stay onboard the ship and defend it from invaders (yes you could board a ship and destroy/capture it) or launch from the ships in a drop pods or transport craft into battle.

Fighting

Now fighting a Space Ship has its own rules. It can be space ship vs space ship, boarding action from infantry, or ground to space based weaponry.
    Ship to Ship combat is how it sounds. Each space ship does battle with another ship (see Space Combat for more). Ships will have their own Shields and Hull Strength, much like an infantry unit. Once the Shields are gone, it's a matter of cracking the shell.
    A ship can be defeated in any manner from
    (1) Total destruction by another ship / Total Destruction from Ground defenses (Low Orbit ONLY).
    (2) Sent crashing down into the planet below (Low Orbit ONLY).
    (3) Boarded by an opposing force.
    (4) Captured by another faction.
    (5) Disabled and left to drift in space / Disabled and left to plummet to its doom. <KABOOM> (Low Orbit ONLY).

In Space

While in Space, Players on board a ship may choose to support their craft by piloting space fighters, space bombers, and other space support craft (see Space Support).
    All the information needed for this section is covered in the “Space Support” section.

Battle Fields
    There are so many choices for battles in Planet Side. The main focus has always been the planet surface. With the introduction of Space Ships, that could expand into the black of space. But what if there was another choice? Like un occupied worlds?

Types
    · Colonized
    o A COLONIZED world is a standard world where the majority of the fighting takes place. Such as Indar, Amerish and Esamir. These are the current three worlds at the present time.
    o These worlds could hold areas in High Orbit for Space Stations, allowing the war ships to dock and supply, as well as allow troops to invade and control for their own ships. This would add interest to the fighting in space. Allowing for resources to reward the winning faction, much in the same way as it does on the surface.
    · Uncolonized
    o These are worlds that are remotely untouched. This would allow Outfits to build their own fortifications (see Outfit Home Base).
    · Space
    o This would take place in High Orbit over any world.
    o Ships could engage hostile ships in any manner, from boarding to ship on ship combat.
    o This would allow troops to quickly travel from one planet to another. The ship could ferry troops and vehicles to neighboring worlds and/or moons. Then deploy them via transport ships or drop pods or both.
    • Up x 13
  2. savageshark

Outfits:

Every Faction has an Outfit. However, no means of distinguishing them. I thought the idea of Outfit colors would be of interest? Outfit Founder’s could choose the colors of their Outfit’s armor, designating color skins for the helmet, torso, arms, hands, leggings and boots. This colorization can affect vehicles and space craft as well. It does not affect weapons however.
    A Founder may have the option to select an Outfit logo. This can be either a default logo found in the game or post an image to the Outfit.
    An Outfit could have the option to build their own base. To build a base the Outfit must first specify the following:
    1. A space station or planet fortress.
    2. Base Type: Tech, Amp, Bio, etc.
    3. They may build their fortification in either their home system or a neighboring system.
    As the Outfit gains experience points they can spend those points on upgrading the facility with defenses.
    Outfits could be allowed to ally with other Outfits in the empire and share the facility too upgrade. However, an Outfit can build ONLY ONE facility. If the Outfit wants to relocate, they must sacrifice what they have already built and start over from scratch, but they will be refunded at 40% less the full price.
    Furthermore, if an enemy faction attacks and successfully captures the outfit’s base. Then the Outfit must retake what they have built, they cannot relocate once their outpost is captured.
    An Outfit home base functions in the same way as the Warp Gates. However, ONLY Outfit members may spawn at the facility when the game starts up. None Outfit members will be spawned at the Warp Gate.
    During combat faction players may spawn at the Outfit base and purchase vehicles and weapons as needed. If non-Outfit members purchase vehicles and weapons from the base, they contribute +1 Outfit currency for every transaction.

Outfit Currency
    o Outfit members contribute experience points to the Outfit.
    o The Outfit members gain currency from capturing facilities, space ship and planets for their faction. Outfit Currency will be based on the number of outfit members who participate in the aforementioned actions.
    o Currency for Outfits is calculated based on the size of the captured facility/space ship times the time spend in taking.
    o Currency is awarded to the outfit taking part in seizing a planet for the empire. If the outfit leaves planet before the planet is captured they’re rewarded for the time, but not the full reward for when the planet is captured.
    o Outfit Currency is used to purchase an Outfit Home Base and Upgrades.
    o Outfit Base Upgrades are placed within a defined radius of the base.
    o The facility interior can be improved with fun items, to make the environment enjoyable for the outfit as well as the invaders.
    o The Outfit founder is charged with buying, selling and placement of upgrades. He may designate a Co-founder with placement but not purchase or selling of upgrades.
    o Outfit founder may choose a logo, either from in game designs or post a design of their own.
    o Outfit Founds may choose the color for their group from infantry armor, air units, land craft and space ships.
    Outfit Flag Ship

An Outfit Founder may designate a Flag Ship amongst the Outfit Fleet. Each Player will have the name of their current selected space ship at their name and THEY will be charged with flying the Flag Ship into battle. The Flag Ship will have an extra room built into the interior as a War Room / Meeting Room. This room would be restricted to Outfit Members ONLY and all non members would be locked out by an energy wall. This room would be a place for the members to meet and interact on the same map (Space or Planet) to coordinate their plan of attack. Each member would be able to draw on the map and place waypoints as needed.
    To keep a sense of order to this, the Flag Ship pilot may invite any Outfit member into the briefing to interact on the map. As well as kick out any who do not participate.

Outfit Home Bases
    The Outfit Founder may construct a military base for the team (meeting all the required rules mentioned above). The base acts as a temporary sanctuary for all members of the Outfit. When the player starts up the game they are transported to their Outfit fortress.
    Every Facility will be built as a small outpost. If the Founder designates the home base as a land fortress he/she can select any planet, if it is one of the main combat worlds or an un occupied world. The placement is similar to how a P.S. 2 Engineer class places a Sentry Gun in game. However, they cannot build a base too close to another (either another outfit base or a standard base).

· Planetary Base
    o A base built on the surface of a colonized (the main combat worlds) or un-colonized world.
    o Any facility built on an Un-Colonized world will be designated it’s own territory and function.
    o A base first starts off at Tier 1, which is the standard ground facility much like the ones found on a colony. It is equipped with the following:
    § Spawn room
    § Equipment Terminals - Generates extra Outfit Currency when used by non outfit members.
    § Vehicle bay - Generates extra Outfit Currency when used by non outfit members.
    § Turret Towers
    § Defense emplacements set by players.
    o At Tier 2 the base can be upgraded into a fortress facility, much like the facility found on a colony. In addition they gain additional items:
    § Extra Equipment Terminals
    § Vehicle energy walls with Gun Towers.
    § Wall turrets
    § Second level of base construction
    o At Tier 3 the base is given the chance too upgrade with an orbital gun. Adding to the orbital defense weapons on a Colonized world or adding one to an un-colonized world. With the upgrade it gains:
    § Anti Space Ship Gun
    § Energy barriers at the wall entrances.
    § Extra Power generator
    § Third level of base construction
    § Radar dish

· Space Base
    o A base built in orbit of a colonized or un-colonized world.
    o These facilities can attack any type of space vehicle like the larger Battleships. However, the base can only be captured or disabled by attacking ships. It cannot be destroyed.
    o A base first starts off at Tier 1, which is the standard space facility. It is equipped with the following:
    § Spawn room
    § Equipment Terminals - Generates extra Outfit Currency when used by non outfit members.
    § Space vehicle bay - Generates extra Outfit Currency when used by non outfit members.
    § Power generator
    § Escape Pods to planetary surface. One per person requires recharge after use by previous player. Sorry no crowds.
    § Anti space fighter guns (weak against space ships). These turrets require players to operate.
    o At Tier 2 the base can be upgraded into a fortress facility. In addition they gain additional items:
    § Extra Equipment Terminals
    § Full energy shields.
    § Automated turrets that can damage Frigates, Destroyers only. These turrets can be operated or automated.
    § Second level of base construction.
    § Drop pods for infantry ONLY.
    § Repair station for attack/support craft ONLY. No room for Space Ships.
    o At Tier 3 the base is given the chance too upgrade with an larger space cannons that damage the Battle ships and supports ground forces with orbital strikes, which adds to the orbital defenses of a Colonized world or adding one to an un-colonized world. With the upgrade it gains:
    § Anti Space Ship Gun.
    § Reinforced Shielding.
    § Extra Power generator.
    § Third level of base construction.
    § Drop pods for vehicles and Infantry.
    § Repair station for friendly space ships.
    o Much like the ground Bases, space stations will have classifications such as Tech, Bio, Amp, etc.

· Base Upgrades
    o As Outfits gain additional Outfit Currency they can upgrade their home base with the following items.
    § Upgrade Tier 2 – see details in “Ground Base” & “Space Base”
    § Upgrade Tier 3 – see details in “Ground Base” & “Space Base”
    § Change to Bio Lab, Amp Station, Technology Facility, etc. They can change the classification at any time, but in doing so they must pay the difference and receive no refund for the change. So make sure you get your first choice right.
    § Medical Lab – a medical facility to restore health and armor of units
    § Armory – a room of multiple equipment terminals for players. Generates extra Outfit Currency when used by non outfit members.
    § Instant minefield – Deploy a mine field anywhere around the GROUND BASE. Can be used multiple times and replaced at a cost of Outfit Currency.
    § Upgrade Turret to Anti Air
    § Upgrade Turret to Anti Armor
    § Increase space turrets damage rate
    § Add extra turrets
    § I.F.F energy barrier – used to keep invaders out of key areas.
    § Air Terminal – add an air terminal to the base
    § Ordinance mounts – add missile racks to the space station
    § EMP Generator – uses half the power of the facility but disables all vehicles (friend and foe) outside the base and disables all infantry implants in or outside the base.
    § Self Destruct – if a facility is in danger of being taken, up too 5 Outfit Members can agree to send the facility into Self Destruct.
    · It will destroy the power core/generator and will prevent the enemy from capturing the facility.
    · The base will be destroyed and cannot be repaired for 5 hours.
    · All other items from equipment terminals, turrets, minefields, etc will be destroyed and must be repaired.
    · The destruct will have 5 minutes and will continue even if the base is captured or loses power.
    · The destruct can be aborted by the 5 players at anytime, before the destruct hits zero.
    Space Ships
    Now we get to the GOOD part. The SPACE SHIPS.

Space ships for each empire will be piloted when players earn a high Command rank. All players start off with a small Frigate at first, they may upgrade as they earn more points. If the player earns enough points they can upgrade to a new ship.
    However, if a player is unable to reach a Command Rank or better, they can certify to purchase the Frigate, but they cannot purchase a Space Ship of a higher class until the prerequisites are met.
    Each ship type will have a role too play for both space and ground combat. While in space the ships will act as attack and defense for the factions. The combat for space will take place over the planet and any outlining satellites (moons) and any other planetary bodies.
    While ground combat takes place, space ships will take on an alternate role. Rather than “the space power house” ships will take on a supportive role for all ground forces.
    As the original Planet side allows for a specified number of players to participate on the continent surface, space ships will operate in the same way.

Like most vehicles in Planet Side there are variations. The Terrain Republic have the Prowler: a twin barreled behemoth tank and the Vanu Sovereignty have the Magrider: a hovering tank of sleek and deadly fire power. So too will each space ship have it’s own advantage and disadvantage.

Building Your Space Ship

In Planet Side 1, every Faction had a safe zone, not like the Warp Gates of Planet Side 2. Each Group had their own Home Continent, safe from fighting. It was where players could go for equipment, rally with friends, form raiding parties of great scale, and coordinate with the commanders on the plan of attack. Now with the Absence of a Home Continent from P.S.2, I still believe the idea of each Faction owning their own orbital space station would be ideal. Each station would be placed over the home territory of each faction (in this case the Warp Gates) and protected from possible invaders (much like how the Warp Gates are in P.S. 2).
    These Station would allow Players to purchase a Space Ship, much in the same way they would gather a vehicle on the ground: At a Terminal and amass enough resources.
    As for a crew Complement. It goes in the following steps:
    (1) Player A buys his ship from the Space Station Terminal.
    (2) The ship waits in dry dock until it is ready to launch by Player A.
    This means that other players may join in on Player A's ship as crew to repair, defend and attack from the ship.
    (3) Once Player A has decided it is time, he/she launches from Dry Dock and begins their mission. Players who board the ship are allowed to link with the ship as a dedicated spawn point in the event that they die on or outside the ship.

Space Ship Advantages/Disadvantages
    · TR
    o Advantage
    § All space vehicles have increased rate of fire
    § Twin barrels on each primary weapon.
    o Disadvantage
    § Large easy targets
    § Increased reload time.
    · NC
    o Advantage
    § All space vehicles have increased fire power, but slow rate of fire.
    § Extra shield strength.
    o Disadvantage
    § Ability to deploy secondary shields, but deactivate if weapons fire.
    § Bulky and asymmetrical design make it difficult to maneuver.
    · VS
    o Advantage
    § All ships have energy weapons.
    § Fast, Sleek and agile.
    o Disadvantage
    § Weapons over heat with use.
    § Shields take longer to recharge.

Space Ship Commander
    · Space Ship Customization
    o Players may customize their Space Ship to accommodate their Outfit. They can place their Outfit insignia on the outer hull and their Outfit colors in place of the Faction colors.
    o They can custom name their ships, displayed on the side of the ships.
    o Place stickers and other icons along the hull.
    o Custom color to the hull with ornamentation, fins, flags, and ornamentation (like a mermaid at the front of the ship)
    o Owners of the ship may upgrade their ship(s) (1) Gun mounts (2) Extra Shield Generators (3) Armor (4) Air Vehicle bays (5) Ground Vehicle Bays (6) Medical Bay (7) Barrier Doors faction only (8) secondary power cores (9) Reinforced plating (10) Ejection system (11) Fire Suppression (12) Drop Pods (13) Mobility (14) upgrades to weapons such as zoom, ammo, etc.Space Ship commanders MUST be a fully certified Commander or higher in order to gain this certificate.
    · Default ships
    · Faction abilities
    o TR
    § Abilities
    · Shield Booster – sacrifice firing rate for increased shield health for short time.
    o NC
    § Abilities
    · Weapon Booster – increase the fire power for all weapons while reducing firing rate.
    o Sovereignty
    § Abilities
    Engine Booster – Increase speed for better maneuverability while disabling weapons.
    • Up x 7
  3. savageshark

War Ships
    There will be a range of Space Ship types available for each faction. The various ships are categorized into Frigate, Destroyer, Cruiser and Battle Ship. Each one will allow players a chance to engage in ship to ship combat.
    Each ship type will have it’s own unique advantage during combat, both in the black of space and low orbit over the planet.

1. Frigate
      1. Stats
    i. Small build.
    ii. Fast movement and turning.
    iii. Energy based weapons.
    iv. Limited Weapons.
    v. Medium range attack.
    vi. Planet Surface: Must remain stationary to deploy teleportation pad from the surface to the ships interior.
    vii. Up to SIX ships per faction may enter planets’ airspace
      1. Advantage
    i. Space for crew to defend, repair and operate side guns.
    ii. Space / Planet Surface: Effective against bombers, fighters and other Frigates.
    iii. Damage shields of larger ships.
    iv. Planet Surface: Deliver infantry to planet surface.
    v. Planet Surface: Attack air forces.
    vi. Planet Surface: can attack enemy Frigates.
    vii. Planet Surface: Distant fire never loses intensity.
    viii. Planet Surface: Can deploy land based teleportation pad for all ground forces to board the ship.
      1. Disadvantage
    i. No torpedoes/missiles/etc.
    ii. Weapons rely on energy core, if core is disabled the ship is defenseless.
    iii. Weapons ineffective against hull of larger craft.
    iv. Planet Surface: Can not deploy armored vehicles to planet surface.
    v. Planet Surface: Can not attack ground forces.
    vi. Planet Surface: Can not attack ground defenses.
    vii. Planet Surface: Rate of fire diminished.
    viii. Planet Surface: While teleportation pad is deployed anyone can board the ship (friend and foe).
    1. Destroyer
      1. Stats
    i. Medium build
    ii. Medium range attack type.
    iii. Equipped with Torpedo Ordinance.
    iv. Superior to Frigate.
    v. Increased health, shields and fire power.
    vi. Planet Surface: Must remain stationary to deploy teleportation pad from the surface to the ships interior.
    vii. Up to THREE ships per faction may enter planets’ airspace
      1. Advantage
    i. Increased space for more crew.
    ii. Medium range combat.
    iii. Torpedo ordinance. Ineffective during Planet Surface.
    iv. Effective against Frigates
    v. Minor damage to rival Destroyer
    vi. Damages shields and hulls.
    vii. Extra health, shields and weapons.
    viii. Planet Surface: Attack Surface to Air weapons.
    ix. Planet Surface: Attack Air forces.
    x. Planet Surface: Attack Ground defenses.
      1. Disadvantage
    i. Slower than Frigate.
    ii. Less maneuverable.
    iii. Firepower diminish with range (ordinance, Can not travel very far.)
    iv. Torpedoes cannot lock onto targets.
    v. Core ship generators placed outside hull. They are easier to target for enemy craft.
    vi. Can not destroy larger ships.
    vii. Can not deploy vehicles to the planet surface.
    viii. Planet Surface: While teleportation pad is deployed anyone can board the ship (friend and foe)

1. Cruiser
      1. Stats
    i. Larger build
    ii. Main Assault craft / Support unit.
    iii. Up to TWO ships per faction ships may enter planets’ airspace
      1. Advantage
    i. Increase shield and health.
    ii. Carries either missile or torpedoes
    iii. Support system inside ship rather than outside.
    iv. Increased firepower at medium range.
    v. Increase number of units stationed onboard.
    vi. Space: Deploy infantry and armored units in drop pods to planet.
    vii. Space: Deploy space units to defend.
    viii. Space: Deploy Galaxy & Lodestar transports.
    ix. Planet Surface: Deploy infantry, air and armored units.
    x. Planet Surface: Can attack air and ground units.
    xi. Effective against Frigates and Destroyers
    xii. Minor damage against enemy Cruisers.
    xiii. Damage Battleship shields.
      1. Disadvantage
    i. Slow movement.
    ii. Slow on turns.
    iii. Firepower diminish at long range
    iv. Space: Must lower shield to deploy ground forces.
    v. Can not deploy Battle Field Robot (BFR).
    vi. Can not damage Battleship.
    vii. Large deployment bay for air craft makes invasion by enemy transports possible

1. Battleship
      1. Stats
    i. Massive scale.
    ii. Up to TWO ships per faction may enter planets’ airspace
      1. Advantage
    i. Increased health and shields.
    ii. Increased firepower at long range.
    iii. Carries missile and torpedoes ordinance.
    iv. Space: Can deploy Infantry units, and armored units Planet Surface by Drop pods and Drop Ships.
    v. Space: Can deploy units by automated drop ships to planet surface. (Pilot must set a landing zone first)
    vi. Space: Can launch Space fighters, bombers and other flyer units.
    vii. Planet Surface: Can deploy Infantry units and armor units by Drop pods.
    viii. Planet Surface: Can attack air and ground forces.
    ix. Planet Surface: Can attack ground defenses
    x. Planet Surface: can launch EITHER Air units or Armor units.
    xi. Space / Planet Surface: Can attack ships of all class.
      1. Disadvantage
    i. Slow movement.
    ii. Slow turning.
    iii. Massive ship
    iv. Planet Surface: Rate of fire decreased
    v. Weak shield strength.
    vi. Large deployment bay for air craft makes invasion by enemy transports possible
    • Up x 5
  4. savageshark

Space Support

If a player is unqualified to pilot a Space Ship, he/she may certify to pilot the smaller craft and support the mighty space ships.
    Each space vehicle is capable of defending and attacking all vehicles from space and planet side. Various ships, however, are built for supporting the infantry units during massive space battles, either as transports to ferry invading units to the planet or to another space ship or repair and supply their space ship.
    Players will be required to wear a specific armor type in order too operate a vehicle.

Boarding craft (Tick):
    · Troop transport for Infantry.
    · 360 degree defense weapon.
    · Two pilots
    1. Fly the ship
    2. Control Primary weapon.
    · Up to 12 occupants in any armor type.
    · Boards an enemy space ship by 2 methods:
    1. Land inside enemy ships’ launch bay
    2. Land on ship to breach hull. While breaching the hull a teleportation pad is deployed anywhere in the ships interior. Any unit caught in the proximity of the teleportation pad while the ship attaches itself will be killed instantly.
    3. The teleportation pad will disappear when
    a. All units have left the Tick or when
    b. The Tick is destroyed
    c. The Tick detaches from the ships’ hull.
    d. If the pilot is away and the Tick is unoccupied it will automatically delete both the pad and the Tick.

Repair Shuttle (Wrench):
    · Small ship for single pilot.
    · No armor requirements.
    · Repair space ships.
    · Repair exterior components of ship.
    · Can not fight or defend.
    · Cannot repair smaller craft

Space Fighter (Gnat):
    · A duel pilot craft
    o Pilot with main gun
    o Defense gunner
    · A space fighter which can either follow the space ships from Sanctuary or launch from a cruiser and/or battleship hangar.
    · Fast attack craft.
    · Effective against enemy Bombers (Hawks), and all ground based fliers.
    · Effective against enemy Fighters (Gnats).
    · Effective against enemy Boarding Craft (Tick) and non combat ships.
    · Destroys gun mounts.
    · Can not destroy Ship components such as shields and otherwise.
    · Can not damage space ship shields.
    · Can land in enemy space ship hangers.
    · Cannot go into Planet Surface.

Space Bomber (Hawk):
    · Three pilots
    o Pilot and forward guns
    o Bombardier
    o Defense Gunner.
    · Destroys primary systems of Space ships.
    · Slower than Space Fighter (Gnat).
    · More health and firepower.
    · Rocket propelled bombs can either dumb fire or upgrade to lock on.
    · Cannot go into Planet Surface.

Troop spawning ship (Leech):
    · Single Pilot with no armor requirements
    · Ship works similarly to ground A.M.S.
    · The ship must land inside the ship in order to deploy units.

Space Ship Components

Space Ships Gun Placements

· Frigate: 1 Main Cannon & 5 gun turrets
    - 1 Main Cannon at Forward Mount
    - 1 gun mount Port.
    - 1 gun mount Starboard.
    - 1 gun mount top forward.
    - 1 gun mount bottom forward.
    - 1 gun mount bottom rear.

· Destroyer: 2 Main Cannons, 8 guns, 2 Ship to Ship Torpedo bays.
    - 2 Main Cannon Mounts Forward.
    - 2 gun mounts Port.
    - 2 gun mounts Starboard.
    - 1 gun mounts top forward.
    - 2 Torpedo tubes center forward.
    - 1 gun mounts top rear.
    - 1 gun mounts bottom forward.
    - 1 gun mounts bottom rear.

· Cruiser: 1 Main Cannon, 14 guns, 3 Ship to Ship Missile Batteries, 1 fighter bay
    - 1 Main Cannon at Forward Mount.
    - 3 gun mounts Port.
    - 3 gun mounts Starboard.
    - 2 gun mounts top forward
    - 2 gun mounts top rear
    - 2 gun mounts bottom forward
    - 2 gun mounts bottom rear
    - 2 missile Battery forward
    - 1 missile Battery top back
    - Fighter Bay located at top, mid section

· Battleship 2 Main Cannons, 18 guns, 6 Ship to Ship Missile Batteries, 2 fighter bays
    - 2 Main Cannon Mounts Forward.
    - 4 gun mounts Port
    - 4 gun mounts Starboard
    - 3 gun mounts top forward
    - 2 gun mounts top rear
    - 3 gun mounts bottom forward
    - 2 gun mounts bottom rear
    - 3 missile Battery forward
    - 1 missile battery Port
    - 1 missile battery Starboard
    - 1 missile batter top back
    - 2 fighter bays located on belly: Port and Starboard.

Ships Outer Systems

· Shields
    o Shields will not recharge while under attack.
    o Player must avoid taking damage for 30 seconds before shields can recharge.
    o Strength determined by the size of the ship.
    o Recharge rate slower if the ship is a larger size.
    § Battleship – slow recharge.
    § Frigate – faster recharge.
    o Shields tougher based on the size.
    § Battleship – More shield health.
    § Frigate – Less shield health.

· Weapons
    o All ship weapons can be destroyed.
    o Damaged or destroyed weapons can only be repaired by repair ships, repair teams inside the vessel or dry dock at a space station.
    o All weapon turrets require players to operate them.
    o Any automated gun types will only attack designated enemy (EXAMPLE: Anti fighter guns will attack enemy fighter ships such as Gnats, but not space ships. )
    o Weapon types in space:
    § Anti Hulk (Ship)
    · Space ship pilot operates controls for firing these weapons.
    · Space ship pilot can switch between firing a single weapon or all at once. Firing all weapons at once will require longer recharge. One shot at a time will not take as long too fire.
    · Large battle cannons located along the forward, port and starboard of space ship.
    · Can only damage space ships.
    · Can only pivot 30 - 90 degrees firing arc’s.
    · Can fire from long range but with slow rate of fire.
    · Can be destroyed by bombers, space ships and invaders.
    · They vary as a large projectile turrets, laser cannons, missile racks and/or torpedo tubes.
    § Ship to Fighter
    · Located along top of ship, sides, engine and belly.
    · Smaller gun mounts with full 360 degree rotation and 90 degree arcs.
    · Firing rate is faster and limited range.
    · Effective against all smaller craft such as fighters, bombers, transport, etc.
    · NO effect against space ships
    · They are operated automatically. However, players inside the ship can control the turret from a control panel within the space ship. If the gun is destroyed while the player is operating the console they are killed by the console overloading.
    · Too repair the turrets players must repair the consoles.

o Planet Surface Weapon types:
    § Anti Ship
    · Large battle cannons which deal damage to space ships.
    · They can range from a large projectile turret to a missile rack and torpedo tube.
    · Located in various sections of a world. They must have a manned operator in order to fire.
    · Some weapons will require more than one(1) operator to: Fire weapon. Reload Weapon.
    § Ship to Surface
    · Smaller gun mounts located at the belly.
    · Can be used to attack ground forces.
    · Firing rate is slower and limited range.
    · They are operated by another player from a weapons console.
    § Ship to Air
    · Flak cannons and mini guns placed by ship hangers and vital points around the ship.
    · Require players to operate.
    · Rate of fire is faster.
    · Do not require reloading, but overheat with use.
    · Engines
    o The engines are crucial for ship movement.
    o Space: If all engines are destroyed. The Pilot sacrifices weapons and shield recharge for an emergency warp jump to any area. However this will take time to charge and must recharge for several hours after usage.
    o Space: While in space the ship can maneuver as needed by player.
    o As more engines are destroyed the ship moves and turns slower.
    o Space: If the engines are destroyed the ship is dead in space.
    o Planet Surface: Movement is reduced by the planets gravity and must hover to maintain lift.
    o Planet Surface The ship can not go into warp.
    o Planet Surface If the engines and hover abilities are disabled or destroyed the ship will crash into the surface. If the ship is at a high altitude when it crashes it will explode and damage/kill anyone near the explosion. If the ship is at a low altitude it will crash land. After crash landing to the surface, the Ships’ pilot must:
    § Repair the damaged engine core.
    § Activate self destruct.
    § Leave the ship where it lands.
    § While Crashed, the ship can still be taken over.
    • Up x 6
  5. savageshark

Ships Inner systems

· Spawn room
    · Equipment terminals
    · Power Generator
    o The heart of the Ship.
    o The generator distributes power to all components of the ship.
    o Powers the shields, automatic weapons, weapons terminals, Med. Lab, Hover controls, etc. (the engine core has its own power supply)
    · Bridge
    o This is where enemy units go to hack the ship for capture. After the hack it will take 15 minutes to capture the ship. Friendly units may hack the bridge to secure the ship for the original pilot
    o This bridge has the following abilities to the pilot:
    § The pilot controls the space ships movement and attacks.
    § Set speeds.
    § Warp jump from one map to the other.
    § Enter Planet Surface.
    § Enter space.
    § Ascend and descend in space.
    § Select weapon types.
    § Activate self destruct.
    § Activate signal warning lights to crew.
    § Distribute more/less power to shields.
    § Distribute more/less power to engines.
    § Distribute more/less power to weapons.
    § Displays Shield health.
    § Displays Hull Strength.
    § Set Auto Pilot
    § Ship controls are player defined
    · Player B may not pilot Player A’s space ship. The ship belongs to Player A.

· Medical Lab
    o An emergency healing lab for troops. Contains more than one medical terminal for all troops.
    · Engine Core
    o This generator is for Engines only.
    o If Power Generator is destroyed, Engine Core keeps engines active.
    o It can be disabled outside or inside the ship.
    o If the core is destroyed the ship will explode in less than 5 minutes.
    · Shield generator
    o Generator for shields only.
    o If destroyed, the shields will be disabled.
    · Launch Bay
    o Players purchase flyers for space and air.
    o Can be used to board the ship by enemy transports.
    o Can not be destroyed.
    · Gun Turret
    o Outer ship guns.
    o Can be controlled by weapon Consoles near the bridge.
    o Can not be controlled by ship pilot
    o Automated weapons by default.
    o Gun can be destroyed outside or from the Console
    · Self Destruct core
    o If the captain thinks the ship is lost he can activate the ships self-destruct and set the timer from 30 seconds to 3 minutes.
    o The core can be located by the enemy and disable the self destruct; this will abort the self destruct.
    o If the Generator is disabled or destroyed before Self Destruct is activated then it can not be used.
    o The Self Destruct Core has its own power supply. If the Power Generator is disabled or destroyed, self destruct will not be aborted.
    o A count down window will appear along the ships interior walls, informing the crew of a self destruct.
    Warning Lights
    o To PREVENT players from “flicking the lights on and off” there will be a 1 minute delay in reusing the lights once they are turned off.
    o Siren lights placed along the ceiling of the corridors and rooms.
    o The light colors inform the crew of the ships situation.
    § No Lights: Normal
    § Yellow: Warning, invaders.
    § Red: Self destruct enabled.
    § Orange: Ship is hacked

Space Ship upgrades

All Ship types may upgrade with special weapons or devices. It will take time for the device to recharge and be used again on the ship.
    o Dark light Scanner
    o Emergency Power
    o Shield Booster
    o Weapon booster
    o Emergency Engines
    o Nano Repair
    o Cloaking device
    o Orbital Strike Laser
    o Orbital Strike Cannon
    · Dark light Scanner
    o When activated, scans for cloaked space ships at a short range.
    o Remains on.

· Emergency Power
    o If power generators are destroyed the implant creates a 2 minute power boost to all terminals on the ship.

· Shield Booster
    o Increase shield strength.
    o Ships power will drain the longer this ability is active.
    § Weapons will recharge and operate slower.
    § Speed is reduced.
    o Ability must recharge in 5 minutes after use.
    o Ability is deactivated if generator is destroyed / disabled.

· Weapon booster
    o Boosts power to main guns causing additional damage for 2 minutes.
    o Once deactivated the weapons must cool down for 5 minutes.
    o Ability is deactivated if Weapon Generator is destroyed / disabled.

· Emergency Engines
    o Allows a speed boost in the ships movement for 2 minutes.
    o If the Engines Primary Generator is damaged, power is sent to the engines for 2 minutes.

· Nano Repair
    o Allows ship to repair damage done to hull, weapons, exterior and interior components.
    o The ship is disabled while this ability is active.
    o Weapons can still fire, but at slower rate.
    o Automated weapons are disabled, unless operated by another player.
    o Ability remains active for 5 minutes before deactivating, repairing all it can within the time frame.
    o Ability must recharge for 10 minutes before re use.
    o Ability can be used if power generator is destroyed or disabled. The nanites run on a separate power supply.
    o However, the nanites function on a separate silo inside the ship. If this is destroyed or disabled the ability will not work.

· Cloaking device
    o Allows anything smaller than a Cruiser to become invisible for a limited time.
    o Firing weapons will reveal ship and deactivate cloak.
    o Any ship with cloaking is invisible visually and through radar.

· Orbital Strike Laser
    o Used on Planet Surface only
    o It needs 15 minute to recharge, even if the player re-spawns.
    o Requires ground forces to place target before firing.
    o After use, weapons are temporarily disabled for a time.

· Orbital Strike Cannon
    o Used on Planet Surface only
    o Deals more damage in a larger radius than the Orbital Strike Laser.
    o Longer recharge time after use
    o Requires ground forces to place target before firing.
    o After use, weapons are temporarily disabled for a time.
    • Up x 6
  6. savageshark

Ship Commander H.U.D.
    This will cover the layout of the commanders’ heads up display (or H.U.D.) as they pilot the various space ships. The interface will be very similar to what has been used for ground based forces and vehicles with minor additions to support the operations on the ship.
    Visual interface layout similar for piloting ground based vehicles, including with visual representations of the Shield around the ships’ north, south, east and west sections.
    Upgrade listed similar to troop implants.
    Ship side view shows gun mounts and positions of generators posted on lower right of screen. If specific turret or generator is damaged it will be indicated on this window
    Speed number located besides shield counter
    Ammo counter for all weapons located lower center screen. Weapons will need to recharge (reload) by pressing “reload” key

Using maps

Space travel
    1. All space ships can only be produced from space stations, either one orbiting the Warp Gate or from an Outfit Space station at Tier 3 and the Space harbor upgrade.
    2. Space Ships travel instantaneously from one planet to the next. Brining their crew along for the ride.
    3. Three speed modes: Warp, Faster Than Light (FTL), and Combat.
      1. Warp: Space ship travels from one space map to the next by use of Jump Gates located over Warp Gates.
      2. F.T.L.: While on space map, space ships can travel at faster than light (FTL) speeds. However, they can not attack while in FTL mode. While in FTL mode the ship shields are disabled, but reach full health when exiting FTL. They can be attacked by enemy units who are NOT in FTL mode.
      3. Combat: Shields and weapons activate. Speed returned to normal settings for space ship class.
    i. NOTE: FTL and Warp travel require a time charge before use again.
    1. While damaged, and if there are no Wrench repair ships, the space ship can sacrifice its shields and weapon power to perform an emergency warp jump to its safe zone (After all ships are expensive). However, they cannot use this option while in Low Orbit or more than once.
    2. Sanctuary can automatically repair all damage done to space ships. For purposes of fun, the repairs will take place on orbiting space stations around the Warp Gate. The repairs would happen quickly so the player is not bored with waiting. While repairs begin, players (both the pilot and the crew) may disembark to acquire new weapons and items as well as take on crewmen for the ship. They may also upgrade their ship while docked.
    3. Troops may board a space ship by means of a teleport pad in the Warp Gate on the planet surface or by umbilical tube from the space station or a Galaxy Transport. (see Troop travel for more details)

Troop Travel

1. Players (troops) will have the option to either travel to a battlefield by HART or take a ride on a space ship.
    2. At the heart of the Sanctuary home world is a large surface to space teleport pad. The teleport pad allows players to appear on the orbiting space station. From the station they can gain new weapons, armor, ammunition and vehicles while boarding a space ship of their choice. This is a great way for outfit members to stay together and defend their flagship while waiting for planet fall. If players arrive with a vehicle (land or air) they can have it placed in stasis onboard the ship during flight, however the vehicle is automatically removed if the star ship Can not carry land based vehicles (see ship type).
    3. Once the player makes “planet fall” they have the following options:
    1. Player as Infantry:
    a. Infantry type will have the following options for going to the Planets’ Surface:
    i. Emergency Pod: a single reinforced capsule that propels the player to the planets surface. They will land where ever the ship is hovering over the planet, so BEWARE!
    ii. Guided Pods: a larger version of the Emergency Pod, capable of holding five units of any armor size. When launched from the space ship the first occupant to enter the pod selects a landing zone. These same pods can be used to drop vehicles and infantry. Up to two vehicles allowed inside a pod. These pods can be shot out of the sky by anti air weapons.
    iii. Ship Ferry: The ships’ pilot designates a landing zone and uses automated drop ships to send infantry units to the surface. The ships are automated and defenseless, they will continue to their destination even under fire. After landing the ships dissolves. However, Infantry units may purchase a drop ship from the ships’ hangar, load up infantry and manually fly down to the surface.
    2. Player with Land Vehicle;
    a. If the player brought a vehicle aboard the space ship or produced onboard the ship they will have two options: Drop pod or Ship Ferry
    b. Produce a vehicle and await a copilot to join the player and drop.
    c. Can board a vehicle transport airship which will ferry the vehicle to Planet Surface
    d. If there is not a player piloted airship, the vehicle will be ferried by automated transport ship. It will land on a preset destination set by space ship Pilot (See Pilot Controls). Once the vehicle lands the transport ship teleports back to the space ship.
    e. However, an automated transport ship is vulnerable to anti air weapons and can be shot down.
    • Up x 6
  7. savageshark

Space Combat
    Attacking ship
    There are different ways to attack an enemy ship:
      1. Ship vs. Ship:
    a. A space ship is destroyed by the other.
    b. A space ship is disabled allowing for boarding party.
    2. Ship vs. Troops:
    c. Troops infiltrate the ship via a Tick, Leech, Hanger bay or boarding chutes from adjacent space ship and attempt 1 of 2 goals:
    i. Hack the bridge and take control of the ship. However, if the player is not a CR 2+ they Can not pilot the ship. They can chose to crash or self destruct the ship in 1 minute.
    ii. If a CR 2+ is present they can command the ship. However, the CR must be the required Rank (2, 3, 4, or 5) in order too pilot the specified ship type. (Example: A CR 2 Can not pilot a Battle ship, which is reserved for CR 5).
    2. They destroy all generators (weapons, Engines, Shields & Power) causing the ship to crash or force a withdrawal from the map.
    Space Pilot Controls
    Pilot functions
    1. Move space ship.
    2. Control speed.
    3. Fire weapons.
    4. Activate upgrades.
    5. Enter Warp, FTL, and Combat speed.
    6. Communicate with other space ships.
    7. Communicate with crew.
    8. Set landing zones for automated transports.
    9. Set alert lights.
    10. Choose which weapons fire (Forward, Port, or Starboard).
    11. Alternate power flow for shields, weapons, and engines.
    12. Activate self destruct.
    13. Go Planet Surface.
    14. Go into orbit.
    15. Turn on auto pilot, travel to set point.
    16. Attached boarding chutes to enemy ships.
    17. Distribute power to specific shield angle. (Full power to forward shields!)

1. The Space ship controls allow for three dimensional movements such as ascending and descending, turn left or right, tilt up or down, go forward, and reverse.
    2. The player can attack enemy ships by clicking the left or right mouse button. Left mouse button fires main guns and right mouse button the secondary weapons (Example: missiles, torpedoes, etc).
    3. Player can use number keys to select weapon types for left mouse and right mouse. Much the same way players swap between their equipment. All laser weapons fire from left mouse button and all ordinance weapons fire from right mouse button. (Example: Left mouse: 1. lasers 2. fusion gun / Right mouse: 3. missile 4. torpedo).
    4. Player can fire all weapons at once. By activating selected number keys and pressing left and right mouse buttons at once. They can likewise fire only all left mouse button or all right mouse button weapons.
    5. The player can swap between third person perspective of their ship or from their bridge as first person perspective (default first person).
    a. Third Person shows the ship and does not show the typical HUD interface.
    b. From Third Person player controls camera angle to look over their ship as well as control the ship by keyboard.
    c. From First Person the player has full view of their speed, hull and shield status, alert status, view of space ahead, targeting reticules, controls for altering power flow, Warp/FTL/Combat speeds, and setting landing sites for automated transports.
    6. If the player is flying Support space ship they have either first person or third person view.
    a. Support ships, such as the Leech and the Tick, can press the action key (unspecified) to let their ship attach automatically to space ships’ hull.
    b. If the fighter bay is accessible for either vessel they can land inside and use the same functions if they were attached to hull.
    3. From first person: The bridge controls for Ship actions are operated by player set key commands or mouse click the icons on the monitor.
    a. Go to Galaxy map.
    b. Go to Space Map.
    c. Warp Travel – go to system from Galaxy map.
    d. FTL Travel – set travel destination from space map.
    e. When ship is in orbit of planet: click “Go Planet Surface”.
    f. When ship is in high orbit while Planet Surface: Click “Go into orbit”.
    4. Control space ship movement with key strokes (default W,A,S,D).
    5. Space ship gun aim by control of the mouse.
    6. Space ship gun attacks through mouse click.
    7. Use ship upgrades from designated keys in F1 – F12
    8. Auto Destruct (see inner systems).
    a. Will prompt player if Destruct is yes / no and set time limit.
    b. Player/pilot may deactivate Self Destruct.
    c. All ally Star ships in Space map will be notified if star ship is going to self destruct.
    9. Escape tube – the commanders personal escape hatch located on the bridge.
    a. The player can choose to evacuate the ship and launch to the planet by drop pod. The pod will automatically go to the nearest Planet and drop where ever the ship was orbiting last. The player must then decide what to do from there, as the pod may land in either friendly or enemy territory.
    b. If the ship survives the encounter, and the player escapes planet side in the pod. The star ship will prompt the commander to teleport back onboard. However, this means the escape pod will no longer be available the next time, unless they restock at an outfit base or space station.
    • Up x 6
  8. savageshark

Ground Combat

Planetary Weapons

Planetary defense platforms that target any opposing space ships in air space. These facilities have their own power generator and control console (can be hacked by opposing forces). If the Platform is captured or the generator is destroyed it cannot be recaptured/repaired for some time.
    These weapons are so massive in scale they are only station near or on a main facility such as a Tech Plant, Tier 3 Outfit Base, etc. These massive weapons will require at least two (2) players to operate: One to control the weapon, the other to fire & reload the weapon.
    Planetary Weapons vary from a massive projectile cannon to an array of missile batteries.
    Projectile Cannons will require manual aim to fire and will take time too reload after a burst.
    Missile batteries will require a lock on solution for targets and cannot reload until all racks have been fired.
    To prevent spammers and wise guy!

1. Watch your fire!
      1. Friendly fire will happen in space combat, so punishment will not affect space vehicles.
      2. Friendly fire punishment WILL affect infantry units onboard a space ship and any ally fighters who attack infantry in the hanger.
      3. Friendly fire punishment is always effective while Planet Surface, including space ship pilots.
    2. Flicking the lights on and off
      1. To prevent space ship pilots for “flicking the light switch on and off”. A time delay for re using the warning lights will be active once the lights are turned off.
    3. Hit and Run!
      1. Players can damage other ships by ramming into them.
      2. No damage is done if the ships are traveling at low speeds and are the same classifications (example: Frigate hitting a frigate at slow speeds: “Scratched the paint”)
      3. If a large ship hits a smaller ship, the smaller ship will take damage and/or explode. The larger ship will take damage.
      4. If two ships of the same class travel at high speeds and run into the other they will continue to do damage if they do not separate.
      5. Shields take damage from collisions at any speeds.
    4. There’s plenty for all
      1. To prevent crowding at Sanctuary star bases, there will be multiple stations for ships to dock.
      2. Outfit Star Bases will take on a number of players and transfer the later to the planets’ surface.
    5. Safe at home
      1. While at Sanctuary
    i. all Space ship weapons are disabled (unless invaded)
    ii. No collision damage. (unless invaded)
    1. Set the time.
      1. Self Destruct MUST set for no less than 1:45 and no more than 5:00.
    2. No hitchhikers
      1. Enemy infantry onboard a star ship that retreats back to Sanctuary will die instantly and respawn at the nearest space ship, station or sanctuary.
    i. They will maintain the previous damage encountered while fighting.
    • Up x 7
  9. Eyeklops

I think you just claimed the "longest post ever" record for the PS2 forums. You should get a custom NASA forum avatar for creating this thread.
    • Up x 9
  10. framperton

Sounds all right, but maybe a little too soon? I don't see them doing anything regarding space combat (if at all) for like another 2 years at least. Hell, we probably won't see anything with the whole 'continents connected by oceans' and naval battles for at least a year or so.
    • Up x 1
  11. savageshark

As long as I get to fly a space ship in Planet Side 2, I will be all the happier :D. I'd even name my ship: "The Longest Post EVA" But if you get to read this, please leave your feedback about it :)
  12. schrodingers_cat

wow
    just wow
    • Up x 5
  13. savageshark

I'm okay with that. I mean, I know making a game takes time and man hours, so I'm not expecting this to appear over night. I just hope that one of mods, admis and/or Developers sees this and goes "Hmm...". Just a little spark of imagination can lead to something wondrous.
    • Up x 1
  14. Eyeklops

I was going to print it out at the paper factory I work at, but was afraid I would run out of paper. Then I was going to store it on my phone to read on my hike across america, but phone only had 16GB of free space, so it didn't fit.
    • Up x 1
  15. Dead soldier

How long did this take to Write?
    • Up x 2
  16. savageshark

I started it in 2008 and went off and on with this. It was originally meant for Planet Side 1. But when they announce Planet Side 2, I had to put it on the shelf and see if it would still work or not.
    • Up x 1
  17. framperton

Yeah, I follow. It would be fun to flush VS into space from a space station. Especially with ragdoll.

Wow since 2008? Even on and off that's some dedicated work. Will keep that in mind when I make my super post about shotgun revisions suggestion sometime this or next week.
  18. Bungee

I'm up for space combat.

I dont agree on some of the details.. but I think that detailed discussion will detract from the magnificence of the Idea
  19. savageshark

Glad too see so many are up for the idea.
    Though which details are you in disagreement with?
  20. Jokka

My only issue with space stations is that if nobody is fighting there, you will NEED members of your outfits there waiting to defend it(IE on turrets waiting, just in case). Nobody likes guard duty with nothing to shoot at.

Also, if you're in a station you should have simulated gravity, (there are plenty of ways to do this in the modern era, just far too expensive) and If you want the game to get to this massive of a scale, you're going to need a single shard universe to do it.