Space Combat in Planet Side 2 - Ver 2

Discussion in 'PlanetSide 2 Gameplay Discussion' started by savageshark, Feb 27, 2013.

1. savageshark

I'm not really aiming for naval combat, more towards Space Combat. Plus in my version of Space Combat, the whole ship coordinates with an attack, not just the pilot. The Pilot controls the primary & Secondary weapons of the ship, yes. But the Crew (the other players on the ship) will be responsible for defending, repairing, and operating turrets on your ship.

As for upgrades. Well it will be similar to the upgrades for vehicles. Just spend some certs or SOE cash and you can add on what you want from: Vehicle bays, new weapons, defenses, etc.

I may not be able to satisfy your thirst for naval combat, but hopefully I can satisfy your thirst for Space Combat :)
  2. savageshark

I see.

Part of what has inspired this idea has been the Star Wars films and the Clone Wars series. I liked the scene where Luke, Solo, and Chewie worked together fighting off those tie fighters in the first movie. And the BIG EPIC Space Battle in Episode 3. That's the kind of thing I hope too bring into Space Combat for PS 2.
  3. savageshark

It's great too see how many people are so keen on the idea of Space Combat <3

I'm currently working on my previous concepts for space ship designs, both inside and out of the ships. Don't know when I can have something to show off, but I'll having something this Sunday.

Again if anyone has ideas, questions or feedback about this please feel free.
  4. Maton41

You, sir, needs a recognition for this huge amount of thought procession.
    • Up x 2
  5. savageshark

Thank you for your support :) I'm getting a few things done for the drawing concepts i've had in mind for this. Once they're ready I can show off what I have so far.
  6. Maton41

Ok, and if this isn't added in yet, main weapons on ships could have Anti-Shield or Anti-Hull weapons. AS could be like, a EMP gun or something creative that can help bring down shields quickers and drains energy. and AH could destroy the ship or the component quicker while less effective against shields. Maybe incendiary, AP rounds, or something?
    • Up x 1
  7. savageshark

This is a good statement. To answer, by default all ships will have their main weapons set to both anti-shield & anti-hull. They won't be super effect against either, just a balanced out weapon. But with the upgrade feature in Planet Side 2, the ship pilots can upgrade their main cannons for either or. That way they can coordinate between a ship who has strong anti-shield guns with their anti-hull weapons.
    More so, the larger ships will have more than one primary weapon. For example, the Frigate would have just ONE (1) primary weapon for ship to ship combat while a Cruiser would have at least 2 or three. I admit that feature escaped me during the concept. I'll work that one out a bit more. Thanks for bringing it up.
  8. Chicken Wings

I would love for this to be added, absolutely, but I think it's too far off and complicated for it to be implemented yet...

Between then and now, what if...

There were naval ships during the gap? It would allow for practice of many of the same ideas of space battle, only in terms of two dimensional fighting. Though I suppose since submarines could provide three dimensional fighting, I think the main point of naval warfare would be its comparable simplicity. Indeed, it would be an easier, step, as well as a more straightforward one, to advance from the current theme of infantry, ground vehicle, and aircraft fighting toward something simpler in terms of implementation and scale than space, though I adore the idea.

Which introduces another point that I think is worth mentioning: You introduced the idea of fighting not only on one planet, but on multiple ones. Multiple planets with multiple continents per planet. Since this would be such a massive scale jump from the current game to that idea, I think we should focus first on one thing: Fighting over just one whole planet before introducing another. This ties in to the idea of naval warfare: connecting the whole of Auraxis. Once we have not only more continents, but continents connected by the sea, completely seamlessly, we'll be closer to being ready to move on to orbital combat. Should this game cover an entire planet, and should it then begin to stretch into orbit, I think only the imagination becomes the limit. Then the game could advance to more planets, to a whole solar system even, and even then further...

Truly this is a marvelous idea though. If only it could be done sooner...
    • Up x 1
  9. the pestimist

You are a genius op and wow just wow you spoon-fed everything basically to SOE so their is no excuse for this not to happen.
  10. Sabreur

Holy wall of text, Batman!

First up, I like the idea. What I'm less thrilled about is the sheer amount of new stuff needed to make it work. New vehicles, new mechanics, new everything. You've done a good job thinking of ideas, but to make this work I think you need to pare it down to just the key concepts.
    • Up x 1
  11. savageshark

I agree that there would be a flush of new things. I suppose that the concept of space fighters and bombers can be substituted with the current fliers? Though that is something for consideration.
  12. Maton41

13. savageshark

None of that BUMP stuff PLEASE. Though I do appreciate the thought, I'd rather keep this a clean and professional page please. Thank you.

If you do post something let it be related to the topic. Feel free too offer any kind of feedback, throw out some more ideas and so on.
  14. Maton41

ok, sorry if i did it. only to get more replies to this page. So, regarding Anti-hull or shield, i guess 2 or more frigate captains can cooperate to bring down other frigates or larger if in swarms.
  15. savageshark

I appreciate the thought.

Correct. A single Frigate on it's own couldn't take down a larger class ship. But if there were a fleet of frigates they could take it on. That said, they would have to be careful of the larger ship. As say a Cruiser could easily over power a frigate. Much the same way a Tank over powers an ATV and a Lightning
  16. Maton41

Yes, pretty much. Swarming a cruiser or larger would requires lots and lots of frigates, and once there's a swarm near your ship, you know you have to take down as many as possible before being taken out.
  17. GalFox

The one big thing I think should be if orbital/space combat ever come around it should still be on one planet.Because In truth a whole planet is more then enough space In reality.From multiple space station and other assorted thing if any thing even came close to other planet be on the moon(s) with facility on them.
  18. Maton41

Forgive me for bumping again....

So, i think this could be useful for one of the features in roadmap. the Orbital Strike kind of thing.
  19. Chicken Wings

20. The Hypnotoad

As a programmer I would have to say that you simply can't do all that in planetside 2. You are essentially asking them to make a whole new game and then make it an update for planetside 2. Remember that the forgelight engine does not do well with moving surfaces to walk on, so the entire engine is going to need a remake. Then you are asking for a ****ton of game mechanics that I don't have the time to copy paste because scrolling through your post would take too long :D sure they might be able to add limited space combat but you have to understand this: EVE online is a full blown game entirely based around spaceships and even it doesn't have some of the things you want. Unfortunately you're dream will have to stay a dream until someone decides to pull a reverse dust 514 and makes another game to link with ps2. (dust 514 is a new battlefield type game that links up with eve online).