SOE are you noticing that the VAST majority don't want dome shields?

Discussion in 'Test Server: Discussion' started by Exoz, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Exoz

Because I am, it's everywhere, in-game, on the forums, on reddit.

You are throwing development time and resources on something that people don't want and isn't needed. Let the game breathe and let it flow naturally. There are enough shields in the game already and well there's always the warpgate shield if you get pushed back all the way there.

But seriously, I understand that there maybe things that you want in the game that the playerbase doesn't want, but this is just gonna piss off more people and lead to a decline in the playerbase even further in a game in which the playerbase has already dropped too much.

Please reconsider and let the players play the way they have fun and don't take more freedom away from them. I won't start on how much cheese these shields will create, people camping in/out of the shields abusing their nature.

Diablo3 wanted to tell people to have fun the way they wanted, and look how that turned out. Trying to force people to play something they don't want only hurts the game, there's so many things in the game you could improve/implement, this really is not one of them.

TLDR:

Dome shields are not needed, they are not wanted, please do not push them down our throats. You're already adding countless walls to bases and such, that's enough, no need for magic warpgate bubbles.
    • Up x 18
  2. Regpuppy

Just because a few people on reddit and the forums moan about it doesn't mean the playerbase knows, cares, or dislikes it. A huge problem right now is people are basing their assumptions on current base designs and an unfinished dome shield concept in the public test server.

I think everyone just needs to take a breather and see how the shield players out when it properly hits test.
    • Up x 15
  3. Exoz

How about they add the walls to bases and extra fortifications they were talking about, see how that plays out and THEN think about dome shields?
    • Up x 6
  4. maxkeiser

I don't see why they are even needed. From playing a lot recently air seems very well balanced. People are even spawning skyguards now which is great.

These shields are just ugly and remove freedom from the game.

And this is from someone who NEVER flys.
    • Up x 5
  5. Tobax

I want them, but they need to be able to be turned off by enemy.
    • Up x 5
  6. Nikushimi

I want PS1's Force domes, and the capitals/subcapitals involved with them (as they had metagame value), not the halfbaked reincarnation.
    • Up x 5
  7. Bearcat

Reddit is a laughable source. If you don't post what those people want to hear, they downvote your post driving it to the bottom and even hiding it. It's no surprise that the "vast majority" of Reddit posters agree on most everything.

On dome shields, I am skeptically optimistic. I wasn't aware that I had to post my approval or rebuttal to the opponents as my voice of approval to something that's going to be implemented no matter what we say.
  8. raw

I am fundamentally pro dome shields.
    • Up x 1
  9. Hosp

I like the concept behind the shields, but I think the execution is poor.

Rather than just a bunch of translucent dome pieces, why not make a system of canopies, screens and barriers that actually fit within the pieces that are already existing in the bases? Barriers to slow/deny enemy ground forces as well as protect from air forces alike. A gen somewhere that disables all those shields. When the gen reaches the final 10 seconds, the shields begin to flicker. When it goes they all go down.

I know there will be changes to the bases and I have yet to see those. But from what I've seen on test, this is lazy implementation for a good idea. Take your time and do it right.
    • Up x 8
  10. Osskscosco

It's more like saving ESFs from burster spam from spawn, since you can't hover around a base and get ground kills in a bigger than small fight anyways.
  11. [HH]Mered4

Which any good pilot (including myself, though I am not what you would call an ace pilot) will tell you is bull.

Burster Spam from the spawn? no Problem! just dont fly high enough for them to hit you. hit the generators instead of camping the spawn. When the SCU goes down, the problem is moot anyways, cuz the bursters will be poof, dead. Not always 100% successful, but I cannot let the bursters win, now can I?

Also, how many tank and sunderer drivers do you know that would rather hide underneath a gigantic glowing umbrella to get away from their nemesis, aircraft, instead of pulling AA like a SG or AA secondary?

I know TONS.

So no, dome shields should not be added, they ruin the ground -> air and the air-> ground game. It also offers you less tactical options when you need them. Armor column rolling in? Let's pull ESFs guys!

Oh wait. that dome thing is in the way. dern it.
    Let's pull armor! (But we are outnumbered!) Just pull armor and hope they miss. (Uh. Ok)
    • Up x 3
  12. br4k3r

I find it funny that the OP uses reddit as a source for people who actually care about this game. Sheild bubbles were a very integral part of the game in planetside, and will continue to be useful in this rendition of the game.

OP probably never played a minute of planetside other than this FTP game. Slow your role dude, come back in 10 years when you actually have some experience with the game.
  13. Osskscosco

Lol, how many times did ESFs stop an armor column in the game?

Maybe when they could take 3 magazines of dual bursters and still live.
  14. [HH]Mered4

Many. Many times. On Mattherson. :D

You must not have run with an organized outfit who has good pilots :)

Because I pick off armor from a distance with the nosegun, or up close with lolpods. Depends on how much AA is present.

And my pals do the same. Thats what Aircraft do....they destroy the most devastating tank advances who dont bring AA cover. What, did you think tankers whined about rocketpods for no reason? lol.
    • Up x 1
  15. Van Dax

Well the "vast" majority acts like this: "Wah I need more fortifications" "Biolab has too many fortifications" "I want fortifications not your version of fortifications"
    • Up x 1
  16. Naehloseht

By golly son, if I am forced to eat your ****** lettuce, you will be forced to swallow my DOME SHIELDS!

More Dome Shields please SoE, they are the best thing since sliced bread, and anything anyone else says can not convince me otherwise.
  17. Spets

I just feel there are plenty of counters to the air problem already people simply need to utilize them, these large facilities have plenty of defenses. Commanders simply aren't using them, you'd be suprised what even putting an AA squad on the foof can do to spook air. I am well aware AA maxes have been hit a little hard last update. I think and firmly believe the shields are kinda sloppy.
  18. moriarrr-ceres

hi,
    i realy dont see positive on these shields:

-more fps drops in large battle due to added textures/effects of the shields
    -bad for light assaults (for example in a techplant) you are in jail, you wont be able to reach roofs...
    -bad for snipers (defenders and attackers)
    -bad for heavy assaults (nothing to shoot with your lock-on)
    -bad for aircrafts and vehicles (you know why)
    the only class you will play in bases is the medic with a pumpaction, incredible gameplay....

PLEAZE SOE instead of restrict gameplay give us more objectives to accomplish to make battles more interesting.
    • Up x 4
  19. [HH]Mered4

Couldn't put it better myself
  20. Naehloseht

Nope, everyone wanted more restrictive gameplay with lettuce mode, now you're going to get even MORE restrictiveness! Because the Zergs demand it.

Dome Shield For Life!!!!
    • Up x 1