So, the Gauss Rifle Burst... I like it.

Discussion in 'Combat Medic' started by hansgrosse, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Psykmoe

Call me when the Gauss Burst has the SABR-13's 0.75x first shot recoil instead of 2.15x, then the weapon might actually edge out the regular Gauss in terms of useable range. Yes, the SABR-13's base recoil is high, but the end result is still better.

Or at least cut it down to the Gauss S's first shot recoil mod. The further out you can land that second round, the more point there is to the gun.

I'm happy the weapon clicks with you, but the extra velocity and theoretical rpm advantage just aren't enough to get it over the Gauss S for me personally when that gun has tighter burst placement due to lower recoil on the first shot of the burst.

I actually LOVE the idea of having the best velocity of any infantry weapon on a Gauss Burst with HVA but with the first shot recoil already pretty size-able, HVA just doesn't feel so good.

I think most of the UBGL variants have lower first shot recoil than the Burst variants, which barely even makes sense...why couldn't they make the Burst variants the best and easiest to use burst mode guns? The S variants already appeal through the rail attachments!
    • Up x 2
  2. MrK

I'll repeat, Gauss Burst strong point is NOT range. If I know I'll exclusively fight @range, I'll take the S .

The Burst version edges out other Gauss in ADS-on-the-move fight. That's for medium range.
    Usually, NC weapons get their precision in ADS while keeping still.
    Burst variant are the only one keeping their precision edge in ADS while moving.

Add to this that the Burst is not BAD at range (though not the best, ofc), and that its more than OK HipFire CoF makes it competitive CQC.
    Where you'd think the Burst variant is the ranged version, and the S is the versatile version, it's actually the opposite, imho.

As for comparison with SABR13, it's not that "fair", tbh.
    The TR version of Gauss Burst is NOT SABR13, it's T1B Cycler (B for Burst). SAB13 does not retain its ADS accuracy on the move, T1B is accurate (twice tighter CoF than SABR13) on the move. SABR13 though, is 3 times more accurate ADS standing still than T1B.
    SABR is the Reaper DMR of TR. Highest alpha in TR AR, best precision on ADS standing still. Its odd point as you outlined it, is its unique <1 1st shot multiplier.

Amongst the Burst variants, the Gauss Burst is unique because it's not a 143 alpha weapon, but a 167, and it retains the ADS accuracy while standing still that the 167 weapons share. And on top of it, it has the ADS accuracy on the move caracteristics of the Burst variants. Best of both worlds, a mix of SABR & usual Burst variant. In exchange, it doesn't have the low 1st shot recoil multiplier. Kind of normal, if you ask me.

What I wonder, is what is the VS thing in the department? They have nothing standing out.
  3. kennonfodder

Hmmm, the 4x scope is more a handicap than a benefit with the Gauss guns imo. The two directional recoil quadruples and the tunnel vision is massive :confused: 4x Laco is viable for the Warden, but there it´s also not a blast

Single fire? Dont know, pling pling sucks in this game as everybody has a shield being able to recharge.

Test the ironsights, they are pretty decent for the NC ARs, super precise and limited recoil.

And as Mr.K said, use the Gauss S for long range fights, with the right attachments you can put down your 10-14 bullets in one burst (by pulling down the mouse a bit), Gauss Burst more for the other distances
    • Up x 1
  4. Kociboss

It's only partially true for the bursts weapons. Yes, you retain the accuracy but it's still only 0.75x ADS multiplier, making you an easy target.
  5. hansgrosse

If the gun's statistics sheet were telling the whole story I'd be right there with you, but it isn't.

Yes, the Gauss Rifle Burst's 1st shot recoil modifier is pretty bad on paper, but the gun will randomly (and pretty frequently, in my experience) decide to flat-out ignore this modifier and instead plant the second round of its burst directly on top of the first. There's no way (that I know of) to predict when this will happen, but it happens often. Moreover, its accuracy is streaky; once the rifle gives you that first perfect burst it tends to keep doing it, burst after burst. This phenomenon is common enough that to me it's worth its inherent inconsistency as a tradeoff. When the gun is behaving, you can land both rounds of its burst on anything that renders, at any range. It is this random yet amazing burst accuracy that first made me fall in love with the Gauss Burst, and it is what directly led to my creation of this thread.

Of course, randomly amazing accuracy isn't a selling point for everyone. If you demand consistent, hard-coded results then you should take into consideration MrK's experience with this rifle. Gauss Burst excels in many roles, situations, and ranges, and for many on this thread it was well worth its cost.

If you've tried the weapon in combat and you just don't feel it, then that's understandable; Gauss Burst is definitely not everyone's cup of tea. If you haven't tried it outside of VR training yet, though, then I highly recommend at least trialing it.
  6. Mostadio

I have them, I have them certed, I don't use them. I don't think I've ever heard anyone heralding the Equinox Burst as a gun worth getting. The only person that told me the Equinox VE2 was worth using said it's because you can 1 shot people with a noob tube. I don't have problems getting kills the old fashioned way so this doesn't appeal to me. They're both 143 max dmg weapons, the burst weighs in at around 700 RPM compared to the 650 of the VE2. The only redeeming quality of the VE2 is the under barrel attachments. Big deal. The burst has better ADS qualities than most other VS ARs, even over the NS-11, however it can't take a compensator, but has higher RPM and muzzle velocity and can take HVA. It might be worth checking out.

The main problem I'm seeing is the situations where it'd be worth using. Honestly, I haven't touched anything other than a shotgun in about 2-3 weeks. If I'm not helping hold a point or taking a point, I'm in a vehicle. Oh, you're camping on top of a building or some ridge? I'll either ignore you, flank you, or heal someone else while they kill you. Long range engagements are quickly becoming a thing of the past.

After I grind these 300 kills with the Thanatos I might give the Equinox Burst a whirl. Never know, I could be pleasantly surprised!
  7. MrK

you mean 0.5 movt modifier, I guess... and you are right. It's for people who value precision over movement.
    For me, it's mostly because I can't keep myself non moving. It's more a discipline issues.
    And there's this sweet range where even @0.5 speed multiplier, the movement is enough to throw your ennemy aim off while yours is still ok.

I'm completely understanding it's a very strange weapon with very specific capabilities, but it's suited for nearly every condition, and I find myself in the "sweet range" more often than not. All these time where you have spotted the AMS outside your walls, and go there, where you rush out of your spawn point and go for the objective, etc.... it's not CQC, it's not long range, it's where I like the Burst variant the most. At the same time, the gun is not useless at long range like the 143 alpha mostly are, and it's not useless at CQC because of low RoF and horrible CoF like 200 alpha are.
  8. Kociboss

Yes I meant 0.5x. Thought about one thing and typed the other.
  9. Psykmoe

I'm just coming back to this to admit my post at the top of page 3 was too harsh on the Burst mode assault rifles. I still think Burst carbines are not so hot but the high ADS movement accuracy on the assault rifles actually works pretty damn solid at short to mid range strafing and spamming.

It's probably hell on my mouse though. And I don't think I can click fast enough to actually hit the rpm cap.
  10. hansgrosse

Admission is the first stage of recovery, as they say! XD

Seriously though, glad to hear you've discovered the value in burst rifles. Not many people give burst rifles that aren't the SABR-13 a fair chance, and I want to see that eventually change. They're deceptively effective weapons, and in ways that many don't suspect.

Still haven't given any of the burst carbines a run for their money, myself. Just can't bring myself to use them while their models still lack stocks. :p
  11. repairtool6

Interresting train of thought.
    Gaus Burst does have some nice perks like you point out, but i rate the t1b as superior.

Why? Simple answer --> High ROF but Minimal Deviation.

High ROF have its inherent perks in any fps, but also inherent drawbacks (higher bloom-rate the obvious #1)
    Basically, with the T1B you dont get this drawback. You retain the High ROF, but dont suffer bloom.

In contrast to recoil, spread and cof resets instantly. This means the t1b can go full out ape-sh*it and retain minimal spread and deviation. At short and midrange this is beyond awsome.

Gaus burst handles better at range, this is true. Higher dmg/power. This is awsome if many situations.
    But the inherent perk of bursting is reseting spread and deviation.

So the basic synergy goes like this: The lower your bloom-rate gets, the lesser negatives you experience from a high rate of fire.
    Seeing as the T1B and trac-5b have the highest ROF of all the bursters, i feel they exploit the most out of this mechanic.

Just my opinion
  12. lilleAllan

I don't remember the last time I was killed by a burst weapon, that was not the SABR.
  13. repairtool6

SABR is awsome gun no doubt, but very boring..handles like a 'normal' AR more or less.

Burster are very unpopular but thats okey, kind of makes em to our dirty little secret ;p
  14. MrK

I don't know much for carbines, though Gauss Compact S is now my default Engie / LA gun, I don't play both of them enough to tell, and for LA, most of the time, a shotgun is going to do a better job than anything else.
    I'm going to experiment more, but I think keeping long Burst Rifles sessions forces me on a better aiming and bursting (obviously :p ) discipline. The sessions with autos following big Burst usage are unusually good statistically-wise for me (to be confirmed).

@repairTool : I've unlocked the B on my TR toon like 3 days ago, and I've not yet tested live enough to tell.
  15. MrK

Good for our bragging rights :)
  16. Nakar

Having used the burst rifles a bit more recently, I think the actual order is:

1) Equinox Burst
    2) T1B Cycler
    3) Gauss Rifle Burst

Rationale here is that a two-round burst is great if you're struggling to control it, but as you approach the RPM cap you're just basically firing an automatic weapon with higher recoil. Because the Gauss uses a 2x Burst, it will have more overall recoil issues than the 3x Burst guns for TR/VS because it experiences the FSRM 15 times in a magazine vs. 10 for the Equinox Burst and 13 for the T1B.

The Equinox Burst has the lowest moving ADS COF of any weapon in the game at 0.125 (which is only 0.025 worse than standing still!), the fastest reload of the three burst rifles, and the lowest overall sustained recoil. It's also much easier to reach its 698 RPM cap than the T1B's monstrous 750.

The T1B's main advantage is it gets 3 more bursts per magazine than the Equinox Burst and leaves 1 bullet in the magazine meaning if you time your bursts right you're always using the short reload. But it doesn't have the Equinox Burst's crazy ADS accuracy, although it's still better than any other weapon that isn't a burst gun.

The Gauss Burst is the best of the three for "sniping," but as a combat weapon I'm not sold on it as much as the other two (although that low recoil and low ADS COF make it very, very accurate). It is the easiest of the three to reach its RPM cap with, however.

Critical point: All three with a Laser Sight appear to have no hipfire spread whatsoever. Or rather they do, but it resets so quickly that unless you are at the absolute maximum ROF (and possibly not even then), it simply won't expand at all. This isn't true if you don't use a Laser though. A potential edge for the Gauss Burst as it has the least horizontal recoil to start with and thus the least need of a Grip.
  17. Masterofm

Is there any gun that the TR get that's actually accurate and doesn't have insane recoil? Been banging my head on many of the guns due to the whole bullet spread, crazy recoil, terrible accuracy. Been driving me nuts. Is this SABR-13 the promised land I've been searching for all my life?
  18. MrK

TR guns have recoil?
  19. hansgrosse

The SABR-13 is very accurate and has almost imperceptible recoil, so I'd say that it'd do well to suit your needs.
  20. Masterofm

Ever tried to use the standard heavies weapon? It's.... well.... it's not so great. I mean if I got a bunch of stuff for it it might not suck so hard, but it has a wonderful ability to both blind, and hit you with a lot of recoil even when using iron sites.

Yay!